ADVERTISEMENT

What changes do you want to see from Stoops next season?

Get tough.

Use some of his millions to buy off some cops and have some of his bigger critics on here arrested.

Isn't that the way jurich did it at Transfer U?

I see this a lot. Can you elaborate on what you see as a problem.

I know he has been driven through the coals on decisions to not risk anything at end of half’s, but I honestly don’t remember a time since he has been here we run out of time.

Could say the Florida game, but time management was good with ball, to get into fog range before a penalty.

Can you give an example where we have had bad time management that cost us a game?
Sarcasm???

Several things:

Stop playing not to lose when KY has a 2nd half lead.

Less micromanagement of the program. I don’t know if his tendency to micromanage has been a big factor in some of the poor fundamentals displayed at certain positions throughout his tenure, but I suspect he’s overruling his assistants’ teaching
And player development methods at times. And not in a good way.

Reduce the number of times he says “No excuses. We have to get better.” As Yoda said, “Do. Or Do Not. There is no try.”

Be a little more of a hardass on the players that misbehave. As much as I root for all of Kentucky’s players, there really aren’t any excuses for behavior like we witnessed by a few players in the Louisville game. CMS needs to set an example by showing little tolerance for players that can’t check their emotions when they get too high.

Utilize the tight ends in the offense more.

Better fundamentals shown by the cornerbacks.

More frequent speed drills for the WRs. They couldn’t get separation from opposing CBs very often last year and consistently practicing speed drills can help solve this issue.

Faster starts, especially against the big underdog opponents.

More opportunities to engage fans (what about offering a men’s football clinic? It would be great to hear from the coaches what they are emphasizing with their player development, areas in which the team is strong and how they plan to exploit that strength, areas in which the team is weak and how they plan to correct/hide it, etc.)
Hallelujah!

Sarcasm???
Can you name a game where time management in fourth quarter cost us?

And I’ll name one for each of yours named which time management was good that we won because of it

Want to play?

Talking end of game, time management decisions. Who you think comes out ahead here. Games we blew on time management organes we won with great time management?

There have been times before half we didn’t take chances we could have. But how much of that was with a limited qb . we don’t want to put in obvious passing situations?

And I’ll name one for each of yours named which time management was good that we won because of it

Want to play?
Why play? He's paid to make good decisions, not bad ones. So what if you can name his good decisions. LOL.

Why play? He's paid to make good decisions, not bad ones. So what if you can name his good decisions. LOL.
He gets blasted for time management but has had good time management more times than he has failed.

The only game you could really say time management could be Florida with the receiver, but we also go within FG range too to have a chance to win. Ole miss game we maybe scored to early (but not really a time management and kid from ole miss made a hell of a play on nice coverage). No other time in stoops time here have we ran out of time with a legitimate chance to win the game.

Crazy huh?

How many games was time management a crucial part of the win. Just last season out of our seven wins, two of those were do a lot in part to time management. (Tennessee and South Carolina).
Go back to year previous year, two wins were a direct win by time management. (Miss state and Louisville)

Thats four games in justness last two seasons we have won with time management executed very well that resulted in wins.

Hard to criticize something when he is more successful with time management than times we have failed at it. Every coach in America has lost games with end of game plays. One coach many mentioned for here is les miles. How has stoops time management compared to his over time? (Not saying he is a better coach, but miles had much better talent, and still struggled with time management)

That's lowering the bar till it rests on the ground.
How many games can you name where we ran out of time based on bad time management? Let’s see what you come up with!

Florida this past season? Nope still gave our selves a chance to win and do you really think we stop them five times from
The six yards line (needed a yard for a first down). Auburn in 15? Nope we turned the ball over on downs inside our own fifty with thirty seconds left and a timeout, Florida in 15? The only argument that could be made and it don’t hold water is the ole miss game. Saying we scored to quick... (he every get blasted for trying to not score to quick?). And it came down to a very talented wide receiver making one heck of a play against great coverage on a great throw!

That isn’t lowering the bar, that’s just saying that our time management esp at end of games isn’t nearly as bad as the anti stoops crowd makes it out to be.

By some of the post on here one could believe that every game we play stoops kicks the can on time management. And cost us the game. When in turn it is proven much more often than not, that good time management can be shown in victories, than bad and losses. That’s the truth

How many games can you name where we ran out of time based on bad time management? Let’s see what you come up with!

Florida this past season? Nope still gave our selves a chance to win and do you really think we stop them five times from
The six yards line (needed a yard for a first down). Auburn in 15? Nope we turned the ball over on downs inside our own fifty with thirty seconds left and a timeout, Florida in 15? The only argument that could be made and it don’t hold water is the ole miss game. Saying we scored to quick... (he every get blasted for trying to not score to quick?). And it came down to a very talented wide receiver making one heck of a play against great coverage on a great throw!

That isn’t lowering the bar, that’s just saying that our time management esp at end of games isn’t nearly as bad as the anti stoops crowd makes it out to be.

By some of the post on here one could believe that every game we play stoops kicks the can on time management. And cost us the game. When in turn it is proven much more often than not, that good time management can be shown in victories, than bad and losses. That’s the truth
I agree with everything you say. In saying that your wasting alot of time and effort. You can throw facts all day long out to some of these posters and it will not make a difference. They expect 9 10 wins against teams that out recruit us and if that don't happen we suck. The Florida debacle gave them all the ammunition even though it is one game it's all they needed. Hopefully we can win 8+ this year but even then the same posters will move the bar and point to something else.

Reactions: jauk11
He gets blasted for time management but has had good time management more times than he has failed.
I gotta agree with this. Time management is really about what you are doing on offense when you are behind or ahead within 1 score late in the game. In one case you want to hurry up and in the other you want to slow it down.

Yes, UK "scored too early" in the MS game but what were they supposed to do...tell Snell to not make a 9 yard run from the 10 on 1st down so they could burn some clock and let him score on 4th down? Sure, it would have nice to have somehow left MS with less time but I don't see how. Ole Myth made a great drive and catch to win that game.

Peace

I gotta agree with this. Time management is really about what you are doing on offense when you are behind or ahead within 1 score late in the game. In one case you want to hurry up and in the other you want to slow it down.

Yes, UK "scored too early" in the MS game but what were they supposed to do...tell Snell to not make a 9 yard run from the 10 on 1st down so they could burn some clock and let him score on 4th down? Sure, it would have nice to have somehow left MS with less time but I don't see how. Ole Myth made a great drive and catch to win that game.

Peace

Spoken like a true UK fan.

Seriously.

Want to play?

Talking end of game, time management decisions. Who you think comes out ahead here. Games we blew on time management organes we won with great time management?

There have been times before half we didn’t take chances we could have. But how much of that was with a limited qb . we don’t want to put in obvious passing situations?
You're defending the worst part about our coach. Look two years ago vs UGA.
Time mismanagement cost us that game. No time outs were called correctly allowing UGA to run it on us burning clock, kicked a field goal and won. Out of all the things he does wrong, clock management is his worst quality, in game Adjustments being a close second.
You are blinded by blue, or just don't wanna see but man call a Spade a Spade.

Time management is irrelevant if you have a three TD lead with thirty seconds left.
It's a part of the game, but just a part. Discipline, tackling, composure, focus.
Get those down better and time management is less problem.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Time management is irrelevant if you have a three TD lead with thirty seconds left.
It's a part of the game, but just a part. Discipline, tackling, composure, focus.
Get those down better and time management is less problem.
True. In my earlier post I meant to say time management is really just part of overall game management. If you are nursing a lead late and throw 3 incomplete on your next possession that is not very good game management. If you are down 17 late and rushing every down that is not very good game management.

Peace

Peace
The problem wasn't Snell gaining too many yards on 1st down. The problem was the next two plays when we snapped the ball with like 12 and 13 seconds left on the play clock with the game clock running. That's 23 more seconds we could've run off the game clock with like 2 minutes remaining if we had snapped the ball with a second left. Ole Miss scored with 6 seconds left in the game so you can definitely say time management cost us that game. When we snapped the ball so early I told the guy sitting next to me what in the world are we doing (I've seen this story play out before)?

The coaching gaffes have not gotten any better in 5 years so I don't expect them to change in year 6.

If you are nursing a lead late and throw 3 incomplete on your next possession that is not very good game management.

Reminds me of 2017 Super Bowl. The Falcons had the lead at the end of the game trying to run the clock out. They passed incomplete which stopped the clock instead of running it three times and punting. Pats get the ball back with enough time left to score the winning TD. Which means even Superbowl coaches are not flawless with their time management/decision making.

You're defending the worst part about our coach. Look two years ago vs UGA.
Time mismanagement cost us that game. No time outs were called correctly allowing UGA to run it on us burning clock, kicked a field goal and won. Out of all the things he does wrong, clock management is his worst quality, in game Adjustments being a close second.
You are blinded by blue, or just don't wanna see but man call a Spade a Spade.
UGA kicked a fg on 2nd and 3 from the eight yard line after a play with three seconds left and a timeout. Even if we call two more timeouts they still have two plays to run. Maybe Sony michell fumbles on those two carries. Or they take a knee and kick it from the 12 instead. But did you like our chances if they go to overtime? Could our defense keep them out from the 25 more than they could keep us out from the same part of field?

But that didn’t cost us the game based on time management. Not being able to put ball in endzone on the previous drive when we got to first and goal and being able to complete a perfect thrown deep ball to badet for seven to go up 28-16 instead of kicking it back for an INT. Or getting zero points off a turnover when we get the call inside the forty going in that resulted in a punt for a touchback. Those three things were much more of a reason we didn’t come out on top, versus time management.

They hit fg range with over a minute left. With a kicker as good as Austin was for us.

Getting the team ready for their Opponents so they can win the games they should !

The problem wasn't Snell gaining too many yards on 1st down. The problem was the next two plays when we snapped the ball with like 12 and 13 seconds left on the play clock with the game clock running. That's 23 more seconds we could've run off the game clock with like 2 minutes remaining if we had snapped the ball with a second left...

The coaching gaffes have not gotten any better in 5 years so I don't expect them to change in year 6.
Of course it wasn't. But UK was 3 and out on their 4 possessions prior to that 95 yard drive. Maybe it's just me but, as a coach, I would not want to do anything (like a long count) that might "break synch" with what I had been doing so well the past 6 minutes. One yard line would be an awful place to get an illegal procedure call. When you give up the winning score with 5 seconds on the clock it is usually pretty easy to look back and find where you could have killed off 6 seconds or more. [winking] I don't really consider that one a coaching gaffe...just bad luck. JMO.

Peace

Reminds me of 2017 Super Bowl. The Falcons had the lead at the end of the game trying to run the clock out. They passed incomplete which stopped the clock instead of running it three times and punting. Pats get the ball back with enough time left to score the winning TD. Which means even Superbowl coaches are not flawless with their time management/decision making.

Yes, but UK fans have come to expect the best, we don't want LOSING Super Bowl coaches, we want
WINNING Super Bowl coaches. Give us what we deserve, lol.

Reactions: Deeeefense
ADVERTISEMENT