ADVERTISEMENT

What are Reasonable and Possible Solutions to Reduce Shootings (Schools and Venues)

Not all guns. I'm ok with people having handguns and guns for hunting, but owning guns like an AK-47, for one example, shouldn't be allowed.
So you're saying I should have to defend my house and the lives of my wife and I with a shotgun? With a plug that limits me to 3 shots? Sorry bud, but if some liberal comes to my house looking to do harm he's going to be met with lots more than that.

The days of leaving your house doors unlocked have been long gone already, schools are no longer sanctuaries from the problems of modern society. You cannot expect schools to have an open door policy, even to their own students.

There will always be guns so you must retrofit schools to prevent or limit the damage ashooter can do. Metal detectors, bullet proof classroom doors that can’t be breached with gunfire, armed guards or some combination of measures to counteract shooters.

Of course the government can’t afford to do that because they have irresponsibly spent state funds for decades.

So you're saying I should have to defend my house and the lives of my wife and I with a shotgun? With a plug that limits me to 3 shots? Sorry bud, but if some liberal comes to my house looking to do harm he's going to be met with lots more than that.

You can't defend your home with a shotgun? You obviously don't know shit about shotguns. [laughing] I hate to laugh, but damn....

How about this for starters....

* Parent(s)....raise your kids to understand that bullying is completely unacceptable in any form. Teaching them this simple rule may save their life one day, or maybe at least keep them from getting their ass kicked. My dad would have lit me up if I had bullied any of my classmates.

* Parent(s).....keep your GD guns locked away where your kids can't access them. Guns are not ****ing toys. Pay attention to what your kids are doing and their behavior. Get them help if they seem off kilter.

* Start charging people who are too GD lazy or careless to lock their guns up where their kids can't access them with a felony. A couple of years ago here there was an 11 year old boy who shot and killed his 8 year old neighbor at point blank range with a 12 gauge because she wouldn't let him pet her dog. His ****ing parents were actually home at the time.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I think it's important to have clarity in this national discussion, and first and foremost the vast majority of those advocating reform to gun laws are also in support of the 2nd Amendment - that includes the Parkland students whose tweets I follow. The 5 point plan they advocate is consistent with the 2nd Amendment and federal law including the SCOTUS ruling in Heller v. DC.

One of those points, which doesn't get much discussion is the so-called red flag laws that gives law enforcement the authority to temporarily interdict and confiscate guns of someone who is exhibiting signs or articulating a desire to perform a mass shooting. Those in the state are probably more familiar then me but I recall reading about a high school in Lexington that recently prevented a mass shooting by using that type of law.

Mental health, school security and other non-gun issues are also important components of an overall approach. We need to look at everything.

The bottom line is we as a country can do a much better job than we are in protecting the kids. God helps us all if we simply surrender to the notion of a mass school shooting every month as status quo.

We've got to do a better job with stuff like that. It wasn't a school shooting, but if law enforcement had confiscated the Waffle House shooter's guns instead of giving them to his dad, those people would still be alive. If they had confiscated my former coworker's guns after he was involuntarily committed, the two police officers who approach his house wouldn't have been shot.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Don't think you need to worry about Liberals attacking your house.

Execute any school shooters within 2 weeks of crime. Charge parents in some type of manner ( and in a big way) if their kids use their weapons.

Lessening entry points in proportion with school population size. Metal detectors and resource officer check points.

Is "school shooting" really the problem or is it the mass murder of children? Because it seems to me many of you guys are focusing on two particular events that if solved would only fix the former.

If they had TSA security backed by Navy SEALS checking for weapons at schools, the dudes that did this wouldn't have been able to do what they did... at school. But that kid could have rolled into a party, waited outside a football game, whatever. Just seems to shift the problem.

The kid in Texas used an illegal shotgun and pistol. He had pipe bombs and pressure cookers bombs that can be constructed from the internet.
Banning one type of weapon doesn’t solve the issues. We always tend to forget the causes and go after the low hanging fruit only.

People determined to kill will likely kill. And use whatever they can.
I didn't say simply banning one type of weapon would solve the issue. I had 6 multi-faceted bullet points. Great job ignoring all that to focus on one part of one point to continue your agenda though.

Reactions: jameslee32
Reduce the stigma of seeking help for mental health issues.
Better, more affordable mental health care
More properly trained, armed security personnel.
Metal detectors.

On the law enforcement end, destroy all seized illegal guns, guns confiscated from felons convicted of violent crimes and guns used in violent crimes instead of auctioning them off to the public or returning them to the criminal's family members.

On the media side, quit publicizing the shooters. I've worked in media. I know it's the job of the press to report news to the public. But today's constant news coverage turns these monsters into celebrities and inspires mentally ill copy cats.

Silly shit like arming teachers and banning all the guns will never work. It's a multi-faceted problem and there is no blanket solution or 100 percent foolproof way to solve this. I just hope it ends soon. I was in high school when Heath High School was shot up in 1997. I was a senior the year of Columbine. One of these is too damn many.

This is easy problem to solve just no one has the courage to do it politically.

First deploy the national guard to any and all schools. They exist to protect the country and our kids need protection now. They just need to be a presence on campuses everywhere.

Second install metal detectors in all schools

Guard will deter most from doing it and metal detectors will stop it as long as those doing the screening are competent. It’s time to create a task force like the TSA for schools. I don’t care about people’s feelings on this matter only that kids lives being saved. Arming teachers, debating guns, morality, etc does not solve any problems. You want to solve it then stop it in it’s tracks.

We spend money on far worse time to step it up and fix the mentality that anyone can walk into a school.

The dress code idea, while it may be seen as a simplistic idea and won't solve the problem, is a good idea that gets at a number of issues.
They solve a lot of the problems that lead to being bullied or being a bully as well, since it’s harder to tell who is poor and who is not when everyone is wearing khakis and polos.

Reactions: VillaCat
It limits the amount of real estate they can target though. Saying we shouldn't do something because it won't 100% stop a criminal behavior is one of the reasons why we are where we are as a society. Isn't something that can potentially help reduce the damage better than doing nothing at all? That's like having the flu and saying since taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen won't cure it the flu, there's no point in taking it even though it can help reduce your fever and reduce how much all the other symptoms just royally suck.

what im trying to say is unless the detector is tide to a locked door to keep them out they will just start shooting when they get to the detector and enter the building anyway.

I wish I had an answer. But I will never support metal detectors in schools, that is most definitely not the answer. Might as well turn our schools into high-security prisons.
This is absolutely ridiculous. We have metal detectors at ball games, airports, courthouses, everywhere. But putting them in a place to protect our kids makes it a prison? Is that thought worse than children actually dying???
We all have our tolerances. Me, when they put a security check point at the entrances of schools is when I begin home-schooling. That's no longer a welcoming, inviting place conducive to learning and instruction. You are telling children by doing so that you have no trust or confidence in them due to the actions of a sparse few. And it is definitely worse than children actually dying in my estimation.

The bottom line is we as a country can do a much better job than we are in protecting the kids. God helps us all if we simply surrender to the notion of a mass school shooting every month as status quo.

Of course, and the bottom line is govt doesn’t care. It takes money to make schools “safer”.

People don’t want to understand that. They just get all emotional and look towards the govt who tells them what they want to hear in order to secure votes.

Parent your child. That’s the first line of defense, and really the only thing you can worry about.

I didn't say simply banning one type of weapon would solve the issue. I had 6 multi-faceted bullet points. Great job ignoring all that to focus on one part of one point to continue your agenda though.
Would be a good start at taking away all of our guns eventually. First off, understand what an assault weapon/rifle is. Know what types of guns have the highest kill capability. Know which ones are easier to reload. Know what each state/community/family uses them for, some do for food, some for protection. Border states might need rifles with high capacity mags to keep too many people from stealing and or attacking their homes. Some big ranchers need them to keep predatory animals from their stock. But, the most important reason is to make sure we have at least some defense against any possibility of a repressive government. Won't happen here? You have not been paying attention to the world of PC today. Trying to block free speech at every turn. No thanks, not while I am still around.

This is the greatest country in the history of history, but we have a serious cultural problem.. That is why this only happens here.

You (general) refuse to realise this because it is far easier to divert blame elsewhere than it is to take responsibility... we are all responsible for the environment we have created.

Not all guns. I'm ok with people having handguns and guns for hunting, but owning guns like an AK-47, for one example, shouldn't be allowed.
This last shooter used a shotgun and a handgun, so how would a ban on AR’s or AK’s help? And after the ban and the next shooting happens, how long before they want to ban another type of gun?

Love reading people like wildcatboston, who makes his dad pay for half his Netflix, talk about making “assault rifles” illegal and doing away with one of the biggest gun safety advocates with the NRA.

For one, any weapon that is used to assault is an assault weapon. You are wanting to make a gun illegal because you think it looks scary. It’s no different than a wood stock gun that you would more than likely be okay with someone owning but in actuality it can be made to do the same thing that the tactical version can do.

For two, you say you are okay with people owning handguns but not okay with someone owning an AK. Last time I checked it, which is every day because I own an AK and many handguns, it’s a lot harder to conceal a handgun than a full sized rifle or even the smaller version of the rifle. Once again, you are wanting to ban a gun because of the way it looks.

For three, please stop watching so much CNN or whoever is making you believe that the NRA is some terrorist organization that sacrifices children. You’re talking about an organization of over 5 million people who haven’t been responsible for any of these mass shooting that their name keeps getting attached too. There are organizations that lobby for and against legislation for all of our rights this one just lobbies for the second amendment

This last shooter used a shotgun and a handgun, so how would a ban on AR’s or AK’s help? And after the ban and the next shooting happens, how long before they want to ban another type of gun?
This is what they want, once they get semi auto rifles banned, they won’t stop till all guns are banned. Of course we would have another civil war before that would happen.

I assume there would be multiple exits despite only one entryway? If not, blatant fire code violation.
Schools would still have multiple doors anyone can exit from. However, those doors need to be locked at all times and constructed in a way that someone cannot shoot or break the glass to enter. Newly constructed schools must have the technology installed that allows control of all doors on the premises. Older schools have to be done the old fashioned way and manually install automatic locked doors after it closes.

To get into the school you have to go through a single point entry. As soon as you enter you have to go through a security checkpoint. If someone decides they want to try something there is an armed guard in place where they are secured enough to shy away from being shot themselves and can take out the shooter.

My concern is you run into another problem and that is people being ambushed while waiting to get in or let's say a student pulls the fire alarm and everyone exits. They have their weapons somewhere nearby where they can start shooting people as they are waiting outside. Same thing if a student opens a door and puts something in place to keep it cracked open (like that guy in Colorado who shot up the movie theatre did), go get their weapons and then re-enter without having to go through the single point entrance. Fact is if someone wants to kill they will find a way to do it.

For those who do not want metal detectors, etc. schools. Well, we all hate TSA and airport security points but how many hijacked planes have we had since 9-11? Are they perfect, absolutely not. Have they at least deterred bad guys absolutely yes. None of these measures will 100% stop school shootings, but they will at least make it more difficult and cut them down significantly.

The reasons why these kids end up shooting schools is a whole different and extremely complex issue to solve.

Start teaching the value of life. Quit putting so many hormones in food. Crack down on bullying. Quit medicating boys for being boys. Take 24 hour news channels off tv.

tenor.gif

Every time a mass shooting occurs, here come the “gun” debate. Never fails. From what I hear and see, I have concluded the media or gin control crowd don’t care about lives lost, it is about politics and control by banning guns.

More kids die from texting while driving than by school shootings, yet no one is asking for cell phone bans. More babies are killed by abortion than shootings and liberals are fine with that.

So pardon me if I refuse to buy into your hypocrisy. I think liberals are happy with every school shooting so they can bring up gun control. If you want to prove me wrong, then start really caring about saving lives and talk about other ways to save kids instead of the constant drum beat about guns.

Schools would still have multiple doors anyone can exit from. However, those doors need to be locked at all times and constructed in a way that someone cannot shoot or break the glass to enter. Newly constructed schools must have the technology installed that allows control of all doors on the premises. Older schools have to be done the old fashioned way and manually install automatic locked doors after it closes.

To get into the school you have to go through a single point entry. As soon as you enter you have to go through a security checkpoint. If someone decides they want to try something there is an armed guard in place where they are secured enough to shy away from being shot themselves and can take out the shooter.

My concern is you run into another problem and that is people being ambushed while waiting to get in or let's say a student pulls the fire alarm and everyone exits. They have their weapons somewhere nearby where they can start shooting people as they are waiting outside. Same thing if a student opens a door and puts something in place to keep it cracked open (like that guy in Colorado who shot up the movie theatre did), go get their weapons and then re-enter without having to go through the single point entrance. Fact is if someone wants to kill they will find a way to do it.

For those who do not want metal detectors, etc. schools. Well, we all hate TSA and airport security points but how many hijacked planes have we had since 9-11? Are they perfect, absolutely not. Have they at least deterred bad guys absolutely yes. None of these measures will 100% stop school shootings, but they will at least make it more difficult and cut them down significantly.

The reasons why these kids end up shooting schools is a whole different and extremely complex issue to solve.
That sounds like a prison to me.

Really going to take a multifaceted approach that focus on treating both causes and symptoms. This isn't a disease that you can just create a cure for to eradicate, so you have to treat the symptoms because the symptoms will always be there. So some of the stuff like single entry way for schools would help here, but that's just like giving someone Tylenol to treat the headache when the real problem is a sinus infection. But treating symptoms never fixes anything, it just makes things suck a little less, and that's why you need to do things that get to the root cause. Whatever is done will never fix it, but it can have a much more profound impact than merely treating symptoms.

A few of the general things I think need to be done are below.
  • Gun law reforms - background checks, cracking down on private gun sales in some capacity, illegialization of assault weapons and and high capacity, quick-firing guns (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I'm not a gun guy). People who want to kill will always find a way, that doesn't mean we shouldn't do things to limit the amount of damage or to make it more difficult.
  • General law reforms - such as repeat offender stuff as someone else mentioned, for one example,
  • Reformation of the criminal justice system - Includes better enforcing the laws on the books. But we need a much greater emphasis on rehabilitation, instead of just simple punishment, so when people are released they are better able to be productive members of society. Ex-convicts generally have an extremely difficult time reintigrating into society, and by not equipping them with the education and skills to be a productive member of society, they'll resort to the more profitable elements of criminal society to get on their feet financially, and those elements are society are the most violent even though they don't get the mass shooting headlines
  • Greater investment in mental illness treatment - which would involve better educating people how to identify behaviors that would indicate potentially violent tendencies. If we know that behaviors A, B, and C are warning signs of potential violent future behaviors, we could let someone know that is in a position of power that can potentially help
  • Better parenting and education - people can be just absolutely shitty to each other, and it seems normally when you hear about a mass shooting, it's the shooter responding to a group of people being complete assholes to them or because they have ignorant and irrational hate towards a group of people because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Parents and other supervisors and role models need to do a better job teaching children how to be good human beings and they need to do a better job listening and observing the children to see warning signs of when things are starting to get dicey. Most of these people don't just wake up one morning and go "screw it, I'm going to go shoot up my school." It's a process that we continually fail to ignore and just dismiss odd behavior as odd behavior instead of what it is, warning signs.
  • Politicians, media, and other people of influence of all political/belief spectrums need to start behaving and acting like adults whose actions and words can have vast implications on society instead of petulant children spouting out divisive and hate-filled agendas that incite and encourage the worst elements of society. Particiularly with the politicians, they need to start taking real action to solve the problem instead of issuing toothless thoughts, prayers, edicts, and statements about how they will look to fix the problems while doing nothing and continually allowing the NRA to buy their favor with campaign donations.

"Rehabilitation". That's a joke, huh?

For 1 stop making them seem they arent more rare than plane crashes

I would be interested in seeing the Fox article when it's published to see where they got their data, but the statement the school shootings are rare and are declining flys in the face of FBI data:

A recent FBI report on “active shooters” from 2000 to 2015 found that the number of incidents more than doubled from the first to the second half of the period. Four of the five deadliest shootings in American history happened in the past five years, and 2017 already far exceeds any previous year for the number of casualties.

It is interesting, however, that schools have been the second-highest risk location.

LINK

large

large

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT