ADVERTISEMENT

What are Reasonable and Possible Solutions to Reduce Shootings (Schools and Venues)

Hell yea. Let’s hold law abiding people accountable while letting the FBI, local law enforcement, judges for not acting on known problems with these kids. You GD Libs always wanting to blame people that obey the law while letting those more to blame skate free
I'm saying letting weapons lay around where minors & other household members can AND DO USE them in a felony shouldn't be considered law abiding. Leaving them laying around wouldn't be against the law still, just if used in a crime. YOU should be have to be responsible enough to stop this crap.

Reactions: JDHoss
I question the parents. Are you engaged in your kids life when he responds to getting rejected with f’n killin someone?

Some kids are just bad, parents need to be more proactive that their child is a psycho.
Agree. And my point is that they often use the DA parent's weapon(s).

The kid in Texas used an illegal shotgun and pistol. He had pipe bombs and pressure cookers bombs that can be constructed from the internet.
Banning one type of weapon doesn’t solve the issues. We always tend to forget the causes and go after the low hanging fruit only.

People determined to kill will likely kill. And use whatever they can.
Disagree. Some weapons are easier to obtain & easier to get "results" with than other. Reducing low hanging fruit will help. I mean, how many students have been killed with pipe bombs & pressure cookers?

No, I'm blaming you for you irresponsibly leaving your weapon where it can be readily appropriated by household members for crimes.
So, what if your child takes your car keys, gets drunk , has a wreck that kills people, are you going to get a felony too? What if your perfect child, no prior problems, rapes a girl. You going to jail too?

I doubt there's one answer that stops all & complies with 2A. But I think if a lot of the ideas presented here were jointly instituted, the numbers would drop dramatically.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
So, what if your child takes your car keys, gets drunk , has a wreck that kills people, are you going to get a felony too? What if your perfect child, no prior problems, rapes a girl. You going to jail too?
No. The car's designed purpose isn't to kill/injure & rape doesn't involve a killing weapon. Why?

Some folks said "Well there was a cop, trained, and the shooting still happened". Maybe so. But did the shooter even know this? In any form of security, be it a bouncer at a bar or corporate data in a locked office, the mere presence of security is often times enough to curb an assailant.

Schools are still perceived as killing fields. Fish in a barrel. We have to erase that notion and let any wackos know that yes, the schools are protected, and there will be apprehended. You won't be able to just kill 15 people and escape (by taking your own life).

It seems to be THE reason you don't see shootings at malls, the airport, etc. Killers know they will become caught. They know there's security ready to do something. They need to think twice about going into a school with a gun.

Disagree. Some weapons are easier to obtain & easier to get "results" with than other. Reducing low hanging fruit will help. I mean, how many students have been killed with pipe bombs & pressure cookers?
Are you trying to say that the pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs cannot inflict massive damage? This guy did make functional bombs - luckily we didn't have to see what kind of damage they would have done as well.

I would be interested in seeing the Fox article when it's published to see where they got their data, but the statement the school shootings are rare and are declining flys in the face of FBI data:

A recent FBI report on “active shooters” from 2000 to 2015 found that the number of incidents more than doubled from the first to the second half of the period. Four of the five deadliest shootings in American history happened in the past five years, and 2017 already far exceeds any previous year for the number of casualties.

It is interesting, however, that schools have been the second-highest risk location.

LINK

large

large

Well, hard to argue with that. Looks like we have to thank Obama for this.

Are you trying to say that the pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs cannot inflict massive damage? This guy did make functional bombs - luckily we didn't have to see what kind of damage they would have done as well.
I'm not saying that. But he demonstrated that it's easier to accurately get results with guns in school shootings than by using those bombs.

Increased deficits and decreased educational and social programs don't seem to be helping much. But first let's create a laundry list of ideas so the wackos can focus on the one that's satisfies their political agenda.

To say the Parkland students and other major commenters on the left are in support of 2A is disingenuous at best.

Don't know about major commentators on the left, but I'm sure you're right that there are some radical opinions out there that would compromise gun owners rights, but the Parkland kids have tried their best to keep this issue nonpartisan. In fact 2 of the 5 are Republicans and have guns in their family themselves.

FWIW: The courts say the Parkland kids’ agenda is largely compatible with the Second Amendment

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
but the Parkland kids have tried their best to keep this issue nonpartisan.
Oh good lord, this is classic deeee. They have cursed every GOP element involved and basically left the incompetence of the local Dem Sheriff's office alone. They started working and coordinating appearances through Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the former head of the DNC, immediately after the shooting. Just stop.

I posted the following on the political thread Friday & didn't get much action:

"With the Santa Fe School shootings in mind, tell me why this thought on weapons is wrong:
If someone in your household or someone with ready access to your house, e.g., has a key, obtains a weapon you own from your house that didn't require breaking into a secure storage case, and uses it in the commission of a felony, that that usage becomes a felony crime for you with dire consequences when convicted. Thanks."

Why not? Seems to me that a lot of these shootings are by guys with their parent's gun(s). Owners need to be held responsible/accountable imo. No one says you can't leave them laying around, but it's on you (too) if someone uses them illegally after you were irresponsible (imo) with them,.

Say you and your wife have 3-4 kids. Both of you work 8-9 hours a day to provide for your family. You keep a few legal guns in the house for protection and hunting.

You don't know this, but your 16 year old is getting bullied big time at school. He plays hooky one day and you and your wife let him stay home. He spends the next 4-5 hours looking for the key to your gun safe and either finds it, or spend 4-5 hours beating it up with a sledgehammer until he gets in it. Lets say you only have a couple of automatic pistols and he breaks into the little shoe box safe you have.

Now he goes to school and walks into PE class and starts shooting the bullies and when it is all said and done he kills 10 kids. Do you really think the right thing to do is put the dad or both parents in jail? Will this really stop the next shooting? Will the other siblings be even more screwed for life considering their brother, mother, and father are now in jail?

Once again penalizing other people for the actions of someone else. This cannot be the answer.

facebook twitter only make greater the perceived feelings of being rejected tormentrd etc.. that shit is not good for basic human needs.

who decides what is reasonable? not libs they have proven for decades how disingenuine they are as well as john the traitor mccain

Single entry and exit with an armed guard is the way to go imo. All emergency exit/secondary doors set to 10 second delay panic bars. I just don't think metal detectors are logistically possible. Can you imagine how many you would need at a large school where you have 1,500 kids showing up within a 30 minute time frame. It would be a nightmare.

Here is the bigger question for me. How the heck are they ever going to get funding to provide an armed guard and retro-fit existing doors to 135,000+ schools. That's the biggest issue.

We can sit here and talk about parenting all we want. However, schools can't control parenting. They could have the potential to control accessibility to a school. Will it eliminate the issue? Absolutely not, nothing ever will. Could it save lives? 100%

This last shooter used a shotgun and a handgun, so how would a ban on AR’s or AK’s help? And after the ban and the next shooting happens, how long before they want to ban another type of gun?
I see the board continues to ignore my multi-point, multi-faceted potential solution to focus on one thing because "OMG they want to take our murder weapons"

Every time a mass shooting occurs, here come the “gun” debate. Never fails. From what I hear and see, I have concluded the media or gin control crowd don’t care about lives lost, it is about politics and control by banning guns.

More kids die from texting while driving than by school shootings, yet no one is asking for cell phone bans. More babies are killed by abortion than shootings and liberals are fine with that.

So pardon me if I refuse to buy into your hypocrisy. I think liberals are happy with every school shooting so they can bring up gun control. If you want to prove me wrong, then start really caring about saving lives and talk about other ways to save kids instead of the constant drum beat about guns.
Fetuses aren't babies

Say you and your wife have 3-4 kids. Both of you work 8-9 hours a day to provide for your family. You keep a few legal guns in the house for protection and hunting.

You don't know this, but your 16 year old is getting bullied big time at school. He plays hooky one day and you and your wife let him stay home. He spends the next 4-5 hours looking for the key to your gun safe and either finds it, or spend 4-5 hours beating it up with a sledgehammer until he gets in it. Lets say you only have a couple of automatic pistols and he breaks into the little shoe box safe you have.

Now he goes to school and walks into PE class and starts shooting the bullies and when it is all said and done he kills 10 kids. Do you really think the right thing to do is put the dad or both parents in jail? Will this really stop the next shooting? Will the other siblings be even more screwed for life considering their brother, mother, and father are now in jail?
As I originally posed, it would apply to those weapons owners who leave them unlocked laying around the house. Obvious signs of breaking into a safe location would not constitute a felony on the gun owner. Don't know why you brought that situation up.

As for the hidden key, depends on how hidden. Laying in a desk drawer wouldn't be hidden to me. Under a floor board that isn't obvious loose probably would be But why not just carry the key with you? A combination lock would seal the deal in favor of the owner provided it require moving the dial off the opening location to engage.

Reactions: JDHoss
Issue every student a gun with one bullet. Call it the Fife act. Crazed gunman won't dare run into a classroom then if he thinks he might get shot 25 times.
What is your proposal for regulating that? Have EVERY single student have their gun inspected in addition to going thru an x-ray machine upon entrance to school. Now keep in mind if they have to leave and come back they have to go thru it again, and every single person that enters the school would have to, at minimum, go thru the x-ray so as to prevent them.from smuggling in more guns or bullets.

I would be interested in seeing the Fox article when it's published to see where they got their data, but the statement the school shootings are rare and are declining flys in the face of FBI data:

A recent FBI report on “active shooters” from 2000 to 2015 found that the number of incidents more than doubled from the first to the second half of the period. Four of the five deadliest shootings in American history happened in the past five years, and 2017 already far exceeds any previous year for the number of casualties.

It is interesting, however, that schools have been the second-highest risk location.

LINK

large

large
Not all active shooter scenarios are school shooting scenarios.

For example, the Orlando Night Club shooting was an active shooter scenarios not at a school.

I see the board continues to ignore my multi-point, multi-faceted potential solution to focus on one thing because "OMG they want to take our murder weapons"
Well, maybe because that was one of the most important points. You want to ban AK style weapons even though this shooter used a shotgun. My point is, once you ban the AK , do you really believe you'll stop there?

Reactions: warrior-cat
If you want to follow a non-hysterical non-shithead Parkland student, try Kyle Kushuv, top student in his class.

Not sure how Kushuv is different from Hogg and Gonzalez. Kyle is mentored by Ben Shapiro and signed with a marketing agency right after the shooting. He also met with Rubio, Hatch, DT and Brietbart writers a couple of weeks after the incident.

He's a smart kid, as are those leading the Never Again movement. But both are being co-opted by vocal elements of their perspective ideologies.

Not all guns. I'm ok with people having handguns and guns for hunting, but owning guns like an AK-47, for one example, shouldn't be allowed.
Can you explain why, given the context of why the founding fathers thought the 2nd amendment was extremely important to the survival of a Republic?

Single entry and exit with an armed guard is the way to go imo. All emergency exit/secondary doors set to 10 second delay panic bars. I just don't think metal detectors are logistically possible. Can you imagine how many you would need at a large school where you have 1,500 kids showing up within a 30 minute time frame. It would be a nightmare.

Here is the bigger question for me. How the heck are they ever going to get funding to provide an armed guard and retro-fit existing doors to 135,000+ schools. That's the biggest issue.

We can sit here and talk about parenting all we want. However, schools can't control parenting. They could have the potential to control accessibility to a school. Will it eliminate the issue? Absolutely not, nothing ever will. Could it save lives? 100%
Given the multi-building campus layout of some schools, a single entry and exit point may not be feasible. My daughter's elementary school had portable (trailer) class rooms within 4 years of being opened as a new school to relieve overcrowding. You can also have a few hundred kids on the playground at anytime.

I think the perimeter would have to be set out further and have a metal detector checkpoint to enter (maybe several depending on size of the school).

When I was in Wash. DC last summer, the Smithsonians and other buildings had metal detectors at the entry points and processed thousands per day. Maybe we can look to that as a model (although still some of the problems that I stated above).

Not sure how Kushuv is different from Hogg and Gonzalez. Kyle is mentored by Ben Shapiro and signed with a marketing agency right after the shooting. He also met with Rubio, Hatch, DT and Brietbart writers a couple of weeks after the incident.

He's a smart kid, as are those leading the Never Again movement. But both are being co-opted by vocal elements of their perspective ideologies.
He met with both parties and cursed no person or group. Did not call anyone terrorists or say they had blood on their hands.

Did som3one who is in charge pf "moderating" this board say the parkland 5 were pro 2a...and non partisan..?

That could be the single dumbest things ive ever read on this site.

We can stary with getting liberal idiots out of policy making positions. PARKLAND NEVER HAPPENS without liberal policies. PERIOD. Wahh..taking kids who commit crimes to jail is RACIST ..omgawdzzzz .. and look how fast that turned into slaughter. That policy doesnt exist, those kids are alive and well and liberals wouldnt have had their trendy talking points. Its almost as if they want school shootings.

I'm saying letting weapons lay around where minors & other household members can AND DO USE them in a felony shouldn't be considered law abiding. Leaving them laying around wouldn't be against the law still, just if used in a crime. YOU should be have to be responsible enough to stop this crap.
I do it is called..... wait for it,,,,,,, parenting and discipline.

ADVERTISEMENT