ADVERTISEMENT

What a terrible return on investment we get with Stoops

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
Take out the three cupcakes and Vandy (granted we lost to them last year) and what’s left is about 2-3 more wins against whatever SEC teams have losing seasons that year or maybe UL when they suck. Stoops is absolutely robbing the university. Barnhart should be run out of town for giving such ridiculous contracts to our coaches in both football and basketball. We are screwed for the foreseeable future in football. Kiffin and Heuple get paid the same thing as an example and run circles around CMS. Kirby only gets paid about $1.5M more. We’ve ponied up all right.

Last edited:
Take out the three cupcakes and Vandy (granted we lost to them last year) and what’s left is about 2-3 more wins on average against whatever SEC teams have losing seasons that year or maybe UL when they suck. Stoops is absolutely robbing the university. Barnhart should be run out of town for giving such ridiculous contracts to our coaches in both football and basketball. We are screwed for the foreseeable future in football.
100% correct, despite whatever the Stoops nut huggers say.

8 straight bowl eligible seasons is good enough for Mitch I suppose.
It starts at the top. Capiluto accepts mediocrity from Barnhart. In turn Barnhart is ecstatic with mediocrity from all his programs coaches. The entire university administration has no championship aspirations...the bar is set low . Just don't embarrass us with scandals seems to be the standard .

It’s all about money . Squeezing the last dime possible out of the fan base and keeping us off probation. But the world has changed no one is put on probation anymore . Too messy . Messes up the schedules and hurts other teams.
Years ago in MLB the Reds did a study on how to maximize profits in a five or six team division. The results were that it was unwise to pay for a title contender . Cost too much . Low ROI.
likewise it was not wise to be the last place team. Fans quit coming . Hurt ROI. The best was to try and b in the middle . That is who we are. And most likely will always be.

Take out the three cupcakes and Vandy (granted we lost to them last year) and what’s left is about 2-3 more wins against whatever SEC teams have losing seasons that year or maybe UL when they suck. Stoops is absolutely robbing the university. Barnhart should be run out of town for giving such ridiculous contracts to our coaches in both football and basketball. We are screwed for the foreseeable future in football. Kiffin and Heuple get paid the same thing as an example and run circles around CMS. Kirby only gets paid about $1.5M more. We’ve ponied up all right.
One of these days the winningest coach in the history of the program will be gone as many want. When we go back to 2 to 5 wins a year I'm sure you'll all be happy, no bowl games and the laughing stock of the SEC will follow. Recruiting will go back to Joker days. I've been following UKFB since the mid 60's and these are best days since the early 50's. I hate losing as much as anyone but we've lost to 4 ranked programs, one has no losses, two with 1 loss and one with 3 all in the SEC Conference. Better watch what you wish for, it may come true.

Stoops has not raised our ceiling although he has hit it a few times. But what he has done is raised our floor. This is his most important accomplishment here. Remember, our floor was 2-4 wins for a VERY long time.

Two 10 win seasons in the last 5 years
Eight straight bowl appearances
Consistently good attendance
Top 30 recruiting classes.
Beating Florida on the regular

These are things I thought I would never see at Kentucky. The university is closer to naming a building after him than they are firing him.

He has a hell of an agent and we are paying too much for him. But it ain’t my money and it ain’t your money. So Fook it.

Go cats.

Stoops has not raised our ceiling although he has hit it a few times. But what he has done is raised our floor. This is his most important accomplishment here. Remember, our floor was 2-4 wins for a VERY long time.

These are things I thought I would never see at Kentucky. The university is closer to naming a building after him than they are firing him.

He has a hell of an agent and we are paying too much for him. But it ain’t my money and it ain’t your money. So Fook it.

Go cats.
Uhhh...consistently good attendance? That was a thing before Stoops until Joker dropped the floor out. You thought you would never see that at UK? Mmmkay...

Uhhh...consistently good attendance? That was a thing before Stoops until Joker dropped the floor out. You thought you would never see that at UK? Mmmkay...
Ok when the attendance bit was the only thing Matt Damon decided to bitch about I know I’m on to something with the other shit.

Go cats.

How much of Stoops salary is paid by the tax payers? UK is a public school. I know it's not all of the 9 million (as some it is booster money), but some of that IS our money.

I don't care if you get paid .50 or 50,000,000 you should atleast get marginally better at your job over time. I cut CMS a whole lot of slack in his early tenure because you could see the vision unfolding. It wasnt too hard to sell serious hope because you remember the joker years.

A decent ranked recruiting class and winning 5 games twice in a row was highlight after the Joker years. When he upped the win total to bowl eligible that was a huge win for our program.

The problem is somewhere along the tracks the progress stopped growing and in the last 2 years have even regressed. You see football teams with no where close to our teams talent level play against decent competition and atleast look somewhat competent. When we face a decent team we piss down our leg because the moment is too big for us .

Let's face it stoops got us out of the cellar and made the program respectable again, but he's no where near the potential we could be ..... I'm not saying we are UGA or Bama but a new defensive state and competent positional coaching would go a long long way. There are teams out there that have far less talent that play a better game in all aspects of the game than what we are capable of that's 100% a coaching fail.

One of these days the winningest coach in the history of the program will be gone as many want. When we go back to 2 to 5 wins a year I'm sure you'll all be happy, no bowl games and the laughing stock of the SEC will follow. Recruiting will go back to Joker days. I've been following UKFB since the mid 60's and these are best days since the early 50's. I hate losing as much as anyone but we've lost to 4 ranked programs, one has no losses, two with 1 loss and one with 3 all in the SEC Conference. Better watch what you wish for, it may come true.
Who says we’ll go back to only winning 2-5 games a year when Stoops is gone? I hate to burst your bubble, but Stoops is not a great coach. He just happens to be better than most of the horrible ones we’ve had over our history because there was never any interest in investing in the football program. To act like Stoops is the only guy out there for $9M that can get this program to 6-7 wins on a regular basis is absolutely ridiculous. There are many coaches that can (and do) run circles around Stoops. There is a reason why no other programs have ever tried to hire him away (despite what his agents have led us to believe). He did a very good job of turning our program around and we’ve enjoyed a lot of stability over the last 11 years, but we’d be better off going in another direction if we could (we can’t). We would benefit from better recruiting, a modern offense better suited for college football and a more aggressive defense. And sometimes it takes a couple of hires to get it right. Your loser mentality stuck in the past is what’s wrong with many of our fans.

Last edited:
It's so freaking insane to me people think like this. Do you not remember what UK Football was before Stoops, I'm ****ing ecstatic to be so disappointed in performances against UGA and Alabama. We used to hope we could keep it within 50 points. THE COAHCES SALARY DOES NOT MATTER.

Someone will quickly correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the amount is 0. Kentucky athletics is fully self funded.
Correct, UK Athletics is totally self funded and doesn't take any tax dollars or tuition dollars from student. The only "our" money Stoops gets is whatever is paid to Athletics for gear/ticket and the like.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Dude .. we get it.... how about starting another thread..... stop being a pain in the ass.

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat

I agree Stoops has brought UK to a level where they a consistent 6-6, 7-5 team. However you got to feel once Texas and OU get to the SEC, no divisions and future 9 game SEC slate UK will be more a 4-7 to 6-6 team under him. Now with the expanded SEC could any Coach at UK do better than 6-6 No Clue but with UK paying 8-9 million a year as soon as UK can afford to get rid of Stoops they need to. For that kind of money you got to feel UK can get a coach with a new staff and new offensive and defensive style that gives UK at least a chance to be competitive against Top tier teams.

I agree Stoops has brought UK to a level where they a consistent 6-6, 7-5 team. However you got to feel once Texas and OU get to the SEC, no divisions and future 9 game SEC slate UK will be more a 4-7 to 6-6 team under him. Now with the expanded SEC could any Coach at UK do better than 6-6 No Clue but with UK paying 8-9 million a year as soon as UK can afford to get rid of Stoops they need to. For that kind of money you got to feel UK can get a coach with a new staff and new offensive and defensive style that gives UK at least a chance to be competitive against Top tier teams.
Totally agree

Stoops isn’t the issue…Mitch certainly is. Stoops was making 6.5M with some years left. Mitch crazy bumps him to 9M but the biggie is …thru 2031. So weee hogtied into another lifetime contract due to Mitch

It would be perfectly fine to ride out Stoops thru two more years to see if he can fix some things…and if not pat him on back for a solid job and keep energy In program for.l next guy.

Instead it’s Stoops or bust for seven more seasons

I'm just curious who you guys think we could get and keep who would also be a near lock for improving the program.

How many a happy fanbase do we currently have in the SEC?
Arkansas No
Texas A&M No
Miss St No
Vandy No
Florida Hell No
LSU No
Ole Miss Yes for now but they still took an ass kicking ton ght that left no doubt that they are not a championship contender in the SEC.
Mizzou Yes this year, last year no. Next year who knows. Eli will have to replace a lot of talent.
South Carolina another one I'd put in the hell no category.
Auburn Id say they have gone from miserable to hopeful this year..
UT has came back down to earth this year. Looks like a Music City Bowl year.
So you basically have Georgia and Alabama and everybody else chasing..

I'm just curious who you guys think we could get and keep who would also be a near lock for improving the program.
How is anyone supposed to know who will be available when Stoops is gone? Like every year, there will be several good, proven names available. There will be several up-and-comers available and there will be several OC's and DC's looking to move up.

As soon as someone gives you names, you're just going to try to diminish anything you can about them to prop up Stoops.

Last edited:
UK is just stuck in "No Win" situation...No Pun intended. With the lack of numbers of Big Time recruits in a State like Ky , Portal and NIL now out there UK is never going to get the the 4 and 5 star players needed to complete in the SEC no matter who the coach is. But with Stoops mind set of ball control slow the game down to win that never going to work in the modern SEC. UK is going have to find a coach that will risk fast paced Offensive game plan to hopefully stay close in a game vs Top Tier teams. Either way UK going to be 6-6, 7-5 team in new 16 team SEC but different coach with Modern Style should give UK some chance to pull an upset now and then. I know I didn't really answer your question but a lot less than the 8-9 M Stoops is getting UK can find a Coach

I understand being frustrated. I’m frustrated. But I think people still don’t realize or accept how giant of a recruiting disadvantage UK is in no matter who the coach is. We produce very little in-state talent, so any UK coach will have to go to other states with more football tradition and poach their talent. That’s very hard. We also don’t have the NIL pockets that some other teams have to get kids to come here. Those facts alone will probably limit who UK can attract as a head coach and will also probably result in UK having to overpay whenever we hire our next coach.

UK is just stuck in "No Win" situation...No Pun intended. With the lack of numbers of Big Time recruits in a State like Ky , Portal and NIL now out there UK is never going to get the the 4 and 5 star players needed to complete in the SEC no matter who the coach is. But with Stoops mind set of ball control slow the game down to win that never going to work in the modern SEC. UK is going have to find a coach that will risk fast paced Offensive game plan to hopefully stay close in a game vs Top Tier teams. Either way UK going to be 6-6, 7-5 team in new 16 team SEC but different coach with Modern Style should give UK some chance to pull an upset now and then. I know I didn't really answer your question but a lot less than the 8-9 M Stoops is getting UK can find a Coach
You just described Lincoln Riley when he was at ECU.
He would have took the UK head coaching job in a heartbeat but how long would he have stayed?
Say what you want about Stoops but coaching stability has helped the program.

I understand being frustrated. I’m frustrated. But I think people still don’t realize or accept how giant of a recruiting disadvantage UK is in no matter who the coach is. We produce very little in-state talent, so any UK coach will have to go to other states with more football tradition and poach their talent. That’s very hard. We also don’t have the NIL pockets that some other teams have to get kids to come here. Those facts alone will probably limit who UK can attract as a head coach and will also probably result in UK having to overpay whenever we hire our next coach.
So, how is WA currently ranked 5th? In the last 8 years, they have 1 class that has outranked ours. There doesn't seem to be bastion of talent in their state either. They play in 1 of the best conferences, maybe as good as the SEC this year. They don't seem to be at a much bigger advantage than UK, so how are they doing it?

How is UL currently ranked 12th? What advantages do they have aside from being in the ACC, which also isn't that bad this year? They are in KY as well, recruit from same area. Yet, in 1 year, they have gone from avg to likely top 10.

I can go around and around with teams that are similar situations to UK but still manage to put a respectable product in the field each week.

Some of you all need to stop regurgitating these easily refutable assertions about all of our alleged disadvantages and realize our biggest disadvantage is our AD and coaching staff. Do a little research, it's not hard!

For one both of those teams have to compete against other teams that don’t have as much talent as the SECC does. If either of those teams had to play some combo of Bama/UGA/UT/Mizzu/LSU/Ole Miss, I’d bet their records would look a lot better. It’s not that we don’t have talent, it’s that our most talented teams don’t crack the top half of the conference we play in. Many people have said this, but if you switch UK and ULs schedules, the records probably look a lot different.

You can say that’s easily refutable, but talent is king and UK, no matter what you want to say, has flat out lost to more talented teams this year.

Three or four big losses on the coaching staff got us here.

Schlarman
Dean Hood
Sumrall
Clickscale
Eddie Gran - running backs

Mike Stoops is a better safeties than linebacker coach. Oline has regressed (well documented)
So, how is WA currently ranked 5th? In the last 8 years, they have 1 class that has outranked ours. There doesn't seem to be bastion of talent in their state either. They play in 1 of the best conferences, maybe as good as the SEC this year. They don't seem to be at a much bigger advantage than UK, so how are they doing it?

How is UL currently ranked 12th? What advantages do they have aside from being in the ACC, which also isn't that bad this year? They are in KY as well, recruit from same area. Yet, in 1 year, they have gone from avg to likely top 10.

I can go around and around with teams that are similar situations to UK but still manage to put a respectable product in the field each week.

Some of you all need to stop regurgitating these easily refutable assertions about all of our alleged disadvantages and realize our biggest disadvantage is our AD and coaching staff. Do a little research, it's not hard!

Miss Clinks recruiting. Eddie Gran was a heck of a running back/run game coordinator. Dean Hood was a 2nd defensive coordinator for us and a hell of a teacher.

Need some staff shakeup on the defensive side of the ball. We made changes on offensive staff last year, now it’s time for defense.

UL would not have a single extra win if they played UK's schedule.
Washington is a football school that has shared a championship(#1 ranking).
They recruit Cali and got a hell of a transfer in Penix.
The disadvantages are no alleged, they are real.
The state of Kentucky is no better than the bottom three in talent in the state.
We don't attract top out of state talent because
#1 We are not a traditional football power that kids grow up wanting to play for.
We are the opposite in a historical sense as we are no better than 12th in the SEC over the past 50 yrs.
.#2 We don't have the NIL to make a top out of state kid" an offer he can't refuse".
#3 It's a basketball school! .Hell, the football recruits want to meet Cal on their visits.

UL would not have a single extra win if they played UK's schedule.
Washington is a football school that has shared a championship(#1 ranking).
They recruit Cali and got a hell of a transfer in Penix.
The disadvantages are no alleged, they are real.
The state of Kentucky is no better than the bottom three in talent in the state.
We don't attract top out of state talent because
#1 We are not a traditional football power that kids grow up wanting to play for.
We are the opposite in a historical sense as we are no better than 12th in the SEC over the past 50 yrs.
.#2 We don't have the NIL to make a top out of state kid" an offer he can't refuse".
#3 It's a basketball school! .Hell, the football recruits want to meet Cal on their visits.
There is no way of knowing that with UL. They are pretty good, and I have a feeling they are going to handle us pretty easily this year.

WA has national titles in 1960 and 1991. I don't think that makes them much a football school or football powerhouse. They sure as hell don't recruit like a football school. Hell, their coach is making half of Stoops salary. Yet, they look like one of the best teams in the country.

We supposedly have great transfers as well. Allegedly, we got the best qb in the portal and maybe the best RB. Davis has been pretty good, Leary....not so much.

Most schools aren't traditional powers kids grow up wanting to play for, yet a good % of them are still better than us.

Show this breakdown by state of talent you're referencing. Let's see how we compare!

Let's see the NIL comparisons by school you're alledging and see how we compare!

If you look at the actual data, you will see we don't compete because of coaching and development. It has little to do with NIL or recruiting or the other endless excuses some of you will come up with to defend Stoops.

It's so freaking insane to me people think like this. Do you not remember what UK Football was before Stoops, I'm ****ing ecstatic to be so disappointed in performances against UGA and Alabama. We used to hope we could keep it within 50 points. THE COAHCES SALARY DOES NOT MATTER.

Lol. Yep because coming out and looking like a joke of a team and it being 21-0 after five minutes is so much better.

It’s the old scared shytless of our past fanbase that will keep us from ever having a magical season.

There is no way of knowing that with UL. They are pretty good, and I have a feeling they are going to handle us pretty easily this year.

WA has national titles in 1960 and 1991. I don't think that makes them much a football school or football powerhouse. They sure as hell don't recruit like a football school. Hell, their coach is making half of Stoops salary. Yet, they look like one of the best teams in the country.

We supposedly have great transfers as well. Allegedly, we got the best qb in the portal and maybe the best RB. Davis has been pretty good, Leary....not so much.

Most schools aren't traditional powers kids grow up wanting to play for, yet a good % of them are still better than us.

Show this breakdown by state of talent you're referencing. Let's see how we compare!

Let's see the NIL comparisons by school you're alledging and see how we compare!

If you look at the actual data, you will see we don't compete because of coaching and development. It has little to do with NIL or recruiting or the other endless excuses some of you will come up with to defend Stoops.
I really don't know where to find data on how our NIL/ football collective is ranked in terms of $$ available but "football people" supposedly in the know claim it's at the bottom of the SEC.

The talent is an easy one.
Just research on the Rivals database and see how many 4 and 5 star players this state produces compared to the other 11 states that make up the SEC.
I'd say Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri make up the bottom 3 and in some years id say Kentucky is dead last.

I don't care if you get paid .50 or 50,000,000 you should atleast get marginally better at your job over time. I cut CMS a whole lot of slack in his early tenure because you could see the vision unfolding. It wasnt too hard to sell serious hope because you remember the joker years.

A decent ranked recruiting class and winning 5 games twice in a row was highlight after the Joker years. When he upped the win total to bowl eligible that was a huge win for our program.

The problem is somewhere along the tracks the progress stopped growing and in the last 2 years have even regressed. You see football teams with no where close to our teams talent level play against decent competition and atleast look somewhat competent. When we face a decent team we piss down our leg because the moment is too big for us .

Let's face it stoops got us out of the cellar and made the program respectable again, but he's no where near the potential we could be ..... I'm not saying we are UGA or Bama but a new defensive state and competent positional coaching would go a long long way. There are teams out there that have far less talent that play a better game in all aspects of the game than what we are capable of that's 100% a coaching fail.
Well said.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Everyone of these conversations that a poster starts forgets this very simple fact:

UK must pay above market premium for its football coach.

You do not lure any of the hot names here with Stoops pay. Not enough prestige or promise (Dan Lanning wouldn’t come here for $10 million a year). You also don’t keep Stoops here for much less than his bill (the auto extension is what made him stop taking FSU meetings when he saw they weren’t serious).

The basketball program has skewed the mental outlook of too many football fans. They expect Top 10 results with borderline Top 25-30 signing classes.

Reactions: sefus12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT