ADVERTISEMENT

What a terrible return on investment we get with Stoops

Lol. Yep because coming out and looking like a joke of a team and it being 21-0 after five minutes is so much better.

It’s the old scared shytless of our past fanbase that will keep us from ever having a magical season.
The fanbase and the coaches didn't play a snap.
That first 10 min was all on the players.
Did you see any leadership on the field.
Who stepped up and said enough of this shit let's play some football?
Alabama gifted UK two touchdowns yesterday and called the dogs off early.

Stoops has not raised our ceiling although he has hit it a few times. But what he has done is raised our floor. This is his most important accomplishment here. Remember, our floor was 2-4 wins for a VERY long time.

Two 10 win seasons in the last 5 years
Eight straight bowl appearances
Consistently good attendance
Top 30 recruiting classes.
Beating Florida on the regular

These are things I thought I would never see at Kentucky. The university is closer to naming a building after him than they are firing him.

He has a hell of an agent and we are paying too much for him. But it ain’t my money and it ain’t your money. So Fook it.

Go cats.
But it is your money. What it costs to go to UK as a student has risen 1000% percent. Are people naive to think that the NIL money paid for these players is no actually coming from SEC tv revenue. Every SEC school that wants to have a chance at winning doesn’t fear the NCAA, they fear the fan base. Other than Vandy and UK, NIL doesn’t seem to be an issue.

As soon as Mitch put out notice we were looking for a coach, you would be amazed at how many applications we would get.
So did Tennessee. Derrick Dooley, Lane Kiffen, Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt.
They would have no shortage of coaches wanting to take their money.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueTick2
How is anyone supposed to know who will be available when Stoops is gone? Like every year, there will be several good, proven names available. There will be several up-and-comers available and there will be several OC's and DC's looking to move up.

As soon as someone gives you names, you're just going to try to diminish anything you can about them to prop up Stoops.
Joined today. Dude how about wade in instead of splashing everyone else in the pool.

I really don't know where to find data on how our NIL/ football collective is ranked in terms of $$ available but "football people" supposedly in the know claim it's at the bottom of the SEC.

The talent is an easy one.
Just research on the Rivals database and see how many 4 and 5 star players this state produces compared to the other 11 states that make up the SEC.
I'd say Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri make up the bottom 3 and in some years id say Kentucky is dead last.
The state that produces the most highly rated FB players is TX. So almost every SEC school but 1 has to recruit out of state talent. It's also funny that with a massive in state talent advantage, none of the TX schools have been that good in years. 2nd is either FL or CA. We actually compete well with FL, so the talent advanatge of FL obviously isn't helping them much. OH is another talent rich state, and we recruit well there. Still isn't helping all that much.

Just looked at TN, they don't have a single player in the top 100 of 247 rankings, but KY did. How the hell are they so good without the in state talent advantage?

Again, I can go on and on with how that assessment just isn't accurate by looking all around the country at schools that don't have these alleged advantages and still compete at a high level and look competent. It all comes down to coaching. Our sucks and theirs doesn't.

To the NIL stuff, aside from Bama, UGA and a few others around the country, most P5 schools do about the same in Fball. With the roster size in fball, only the star players are going to land impactful deals. The collectives are a way to get the other players a little cash. That isn't a deal maker/breaker for most players, as most aren't star players.

The state that produces the most highly rated FB players is TX. So almost every SEC school but 1 has to recruit out of state talent. It's also funny that with a massive in state talent advantage, none of the TX schools have been that good in years. 2nd is either FL or CA. We actually compete well with FL, so the talent advanatge of FL obviously isn't helping them much. OH is another talent rich state, and we recruit well there. Still isn't helping all that much.

Just looked at TN, they don't have a single player in the top 100 of 247 rankings, but KY did. How the hell are they so good without the in state talent advantage?

Again, I can go on and on with how that assessment just isn't accurate by looking all around the country at schools that don't have these alleged advantages and still compete at a high level and look competent. It all comes down to coaching. Our sucks and theirs doesn't.

To the NIL stuff, aside from Bama, UGA and a few others around the country, most P5 schools do about the same in Fball. With the roster size in fball, only the star players are going to land impactful deals. The collectives are a way to get the other players a little cash. That isn't a deal maker/breaker for most players, as most aren't star players.
Most all SEC schools build their teams from in state talent.
How many championships has Florida won with in state talent.
Same for Bama and Auburn
Same for LSU.
We get players from Ohio that Ohio St and to a degree Michigan doesn't want.
Tennessee is a 7-5 team. They don't command to attention on the national recruiting scene that they used to. Look at their record over the last 5-10 years.
I don't know who you are referring to when you are looking "around the country" but I guarantee you they are not beating Bama and Georgia.

Most all SEC schools build their teams from in state talent.
How many championships has Florida won with in state talent.
Same for Bama and Auburn
Same for LSU.
We get players from Ohio that Ohio St and to a degree Michigan doesn't want.
Tennessee is a 7-5 team. They don't command to attention on the national recruiting scene that they used to. Look at their record over the last 5-10 years.
I don't know who you are referring to when you are looking "around the country" but I guarantee you they are not beating Bama and Georgia.
When was the last time FL even played for a NC?

Bama and GA produce a decent amount of in-state talent, but they also rely heavily on out of state talent.

UGA currently has 27 commits for 24. 8 of them are from GA.

Bama has 9 of their 20 from Bams, but only 3 of them are above 3 stars.

OH ST has 23 commits and 7 are from OH. Three of them are 4 star recruits, the rest are 3 stars.

You mentioned Michigan, they have 4 recruits from OH in their 24 class. 2 are 4 stars.

So, most of these schools aren't even recruiting that highly from their own states.

TN is doing much better than we are. They currently have the 12th ranked class incoming for 24. So they are getting a good amount of attention.

I am looking all around the country at programs that are putting quality products on the field. Even when losing they look competitive. We sure as shit don't.

The fanbase and the coaches didn't play a snap.
That first 10 min was all on the players.
Did you see any leadership on the field.
Who stepped up and said enough of this shit let's play some football?
Alabama gifted UK two touchdowns yesterday and called the dogs off early
This is one of the most disingenuous arguments in all of sports and yet..it never dies.

If leadership wasn't an important part of the entire process, then why are these coaches getting paid sums of money that most American working people can't wrap their minds around???? Coaches are paid to win games through strategy and manipulation of events, BUT equally important, coaches are paid to Develop individual talent and cohesiveness, Build a strong culture of being competitive each and every time their team steps on the field/court, an expectation of winning, AND develop a cadre of player leadership.

Granted, all this is a tall order, and that's why top coaches can demand amounts of money that I think are insane. Stoops has done a pretty decent job of pulling Kentucky football out of the very bottom of the SEC cellar, but it doesn't seem to me like we're much closer to the top of the heap than we ever were.

Bama and GA produce a decent amount of in-state talent, but they also rely heavily on out of state talent.

OH ST has 23 commits and 7 are from OH. Three of them are 4 star recruits, the rest are 3 stars.

You mentioned Michigan, they have 4 recruits from OH in their 24 class. 2 are 4 stars.

So, most of these schools aren't even recruiting that highly from their own states.

TN is doing much better than we are. They currently have the 12th ranked class incoming for 24. So they are getting a good amount of attention.

I am looking all around the country at programs that are putting quality products on the field. Even when losing they look competitive. We sure as shit don't.
You know why the Bama and UGAs of the world get out of state talent? Because they can attract the best from anywhere because those kids know they probably get a chance to play for a national championship at those schools (along with what I would guess is a sturdy NIL payment). So they both have more in-state talent than Kentucky and can go pick and choose top kids from other states to add to their rosters. UK doesn’t have that luxury. I’m really not sure why this is so hard to understand.

This is one of the most disingenuous arguments in all of sports and yet..it never dies.

If leadership wasn't an important part of the entire process, then why are these coaches getting paid sums of money that most American working people can't wrap their minds around???? Coaches are paid to win games through strategy and manipulation of events, BUT equally important, coaches are paid to Develop individual talent and cohesiveness, Build a strong culture of being competitive each and every time their team steps on the field/court, an expectation of winning, AND develop a cadre of player leadership.

Granted, all this is a tall order, and that's why top coaches can demand amounts of money that I think are insane. Stoops has done a pretty decent job of pulling Kentucky football out of the very bottom of the SEC cellar, but it doesn't seem to me like we're much closer to the top of the heap than we ever were.
Coaches get paid what the market allows.
You can't get Josh Allen type improvement in every player.
It's a rarity
You also can't instill a new personality in a player.
They are who they are.
This team just has very few dogs.
No Lynn Bowden's.
A lot of people bring up Deonei
Who's pushing Deone to get better in practice.
This team is thin everywhere.
Not a lot of "iron sharpens iron" effect going on with this team.

The teams you're looking at aren't competitive with Bama and Georgia.
George kicked TCU's ass just as handily as they did UK's.
I'd say Texas is the only school in the Big 12 that could beat Mizzou.
UK is not choking games away, they are getting their ass kicked by superior teams.

Take out the three cupcakes and Vandy (granted we lost to them last year) and what’s left is about 2-3 more wins against whatever SEC teams have losing seasons that year or maybe UL when they suck. Stoops is absolutely robbing the university. Barnhart should be run out of town for giving such ridiculous contracts to our coaches in both football and basketball. We are screwed for the foreseeable future in football. Kiffin and Heuple get paid the same thing as an example and run circles around CMS. Kirby only gets paid about $1.5M more. We’ve ponied up all right.
I’m not disputing the premise of your post. But if Heupel and Kiffin make it 11 years at UT and Ole Miss, I’m willing to bet they would be making the same, or more than Stoops does now. (Probably more, especially UT). It’s not like we are paying Stoops $9million in his 3rd season here…

Let’s also not forget that our fan base would have imploded if Barnhart didn’t give Stoops raises after 2018 and 2021.

But you are correct that the return on investment isn’t great right now.

Stoops has not raised our ceiling although he has hit it a few times. But what he has done is raised our floor. This is his most important accomplishment here. Remember, our floor was 2-4 wins for a VERY long time.

Two 10 win seasons in the last 5 years
Eight straight bowl appearances
Consistently good attendance
Top 30 recruiting classes.
Beating Florida on the regular

These are things I thought I would never see at Kentucky. The university is closer to naming a building after him than they are firing him.

He has a hell of an agent and we are paying too much for him. But it ain’t my money and it ain’t your money. So Fook it.

Go cats.
He has two 10 win seasons in 11 years. Fixed it for you.

SextonJimmy.ashx

Jimmy gets great return of investments; Jimmy loves when schools change Head Coaches!

• Haha
Reactions: ManitouDan
You know why the Bama and UGAs of the world get out of state talent? Because they can attract the best from anywhere because those kids know they probably get a chance to play for a national championship at those schools (along with what I would guess is a sturdy NIL payment). So they both have more in-state talent than Kentucky and can go pick and choose top kids from other states to add to their rosters. UK doesn’t have that luxury. I’m really not sure why this is so hard to understand.
That all comes from good coaching. I know it's a novel concept, but players really do want to play for better coaches that can help them reach their goals.

The teams you're looking at aren't competitive with Bama and Georgia.
George kicked TCU's ass just as handily as they did UK's.
I'd say Texas is the only school in the Big 12 that could beat Mizzou.
UK is not choking games away, they are getting their ass kicked by superior teams.
But they are a lot years. Some years certain teams are just going to be head and shoulders above, but a lot of years there isn't that large of a discrepancy. MO sure played UGa close. Other than coaching, what is their advantage?

UT played Bama a lot closer than we did.

Texas A&M is firing their coach and they kept Bama within 6.

Arkansas lost by 3 at Bama.

Even South Fl kept it a 14 pt game.

Just stop dude! We are getting our asses stomped by any team with a pulse. Other teams, some much lesser in talent, are far outperforming us.

It's so freaking insane to me people think like this. Do you not remember what UK Football was before Stoops, I'm ****ing ecstatic to be so disappointed in performances against UGA and Alabama. We used to hope we could keep it within 50 points. THE COAHCES SALARY DOES NOT MATTER.
So we shouldn't be unhappy by only losing by 30-40 ? Piss on that .. listen I dont care whether our coach volunteers for zero or we pay the guy 13 mil'. ... I expect us to look prepared and usually motivated( all teams have shitty games) I expect our linemen on D to get in a stance before the snap . I expect a SEC punter to be better than a local HS punter . I expect a offense that at least resembles modern football. And yep , Salary doesnt matter , Competence does .

How many a happy fanbase do we currently have in the SEC?
Arkansas No
Texas A&M No
Miss St No
Vandy No
Florida Hell No
LSU No
Ole Miss Yes for now but they still took an ass kicking ton ght that left no doubt that they are not a championship contender in the SEC.
Mizzou Yes this year, last year no. Next year who knows. Eli will have to replace a lot of talent.
South Carolina another one I'd put in the hell no category.
Auburn Id say they have gone from miserable to hopeful this year..
UT has came back down to earth this year. Looks like a Music City Bowl year.
So you basically have Georgia and Alabama and everybody else chasing..
You are absolutely right. And, I would add that Missouri is the kind of team that UK thought they had and wanted to be, especially after kicking the Big Orange butt last night.

Reactions: law1127
Totally agree

Stoops isn’t the issue…Mitch certainly is. Stoops was making 6.5M with some years left. Mitch crazy bumps him to 9M but the biggie is …thru 2031. So weee hogtied into another lifetime contract due to Mitch

It would be perfectly fine to ride out Stoops thru two more years to see if he can fix some things…and if not pat him on back for a solid job and keep energy In program for.l next guy.

Instead it’s Stoops or bust for seven more seasons
And Stoops KNOWS THIS!!!

If you watch his Press conferences, like the one yesterday, he is VERY complimentary of the higher ranked program's players and coaches. It's like UK fans should be CONTENT with where we are in the pecking order which is higher than when he arrived. This, in turn, makes ANYTHING he does ABOVE 6 wins something that UK fans should ADORE him over.

It's like Coach Stoops is ADMITTING it is TOO DIFFICULT to get UK Football to the top level, so why cry about it??? Just ACCEPT IT and go on.

This is why he has complained about MORE NIL money which in reality is DOWNGRADING his OWN players abilities!!!! He is starting to reach the CAL level of narcissism by placing the blame on EVERYTHING but HIMSELF!!!!

He is making a top 10 salary and is the 2nd LONGEST tenured coach in the SEC. UK Football is receiving MORE MONEY and SUPPORT than it EVER has before. So, it is EXTREMELY unfair to compare past coaches to the current one.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!!!

Reactions: ManitouDan and K86
That all comes from good coaching. I know it's a novel concept, but players really do want to play for better coaches that can help them reach their goals.

But they are a lot years. Some years certain teams are just going to be head and shoulders above, but a lot of years there isn't that large of a discrepancy. MO sure played UGa close. Other than coaching, what is their advantage?

UT played Bama a lot closer than we did.

Texas A&M is firing their coach and they kept Bama within 6.

Arkansas lost by 3 at Bama.

Even South Fl kept it a 14 pt game.

Just stop dude! We are getting our asses stomped by any team with a pulse. Other teams, some much lesser in talent, are far outperforming us.
They're going to the SEC title game.
Bama has gotten better as the season has gone on. No disputing that.
UT and A&M are both better than UK.
Name a less talented team than UK that has beaten better teams than UK has lost to.
If you think UK has more draft picks than UT and ,A&M you're crazy.

And Stoops KNOWS THIS!!!

If you watch his Press conferences, like the one yesterday, he is VERY complimentary of the higher ranked program's players and coaches. It's like UK fans should be CONTENT with where we are in the pecking order which is higher than when he arrived. This, in turn, makes ANYTHING he does ABOVE 6 wins something that UK fans should ADORE him over.

It's like Coach Stoops is ADMITTING it is TOO DIFFICULT to get UK Football to the top level, so why cry about it??? Just ACCEPT IT and go on.

This is why he has complained about MORE NIL money which in reality is DOWNGRADING his OWN players abilities!!!! He is starting to reach the CAL level of narcissism by placing the blame on EVERYTHING but HIMSELF!!!!

He is making a top 10 salary and is the 2nd LONGEST tenured coach in the SEC. UK Football is receiving MORE MONEY and SUPPORT than it EVER has before. So, it is EXTREMELY unfair to compare past coaches to the current one.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!!!
So, it's kinda like the school is married to Stoops, and has to pay Alimony & Child Support for his 10 kids until 2031?

Reactions: catben
They're going to the SEC title game.
Bama has gotten better as the season has gone on. No disputing that.
UT and A&M are both better than UK.
Name a less talented team than UK that has beaten better teams than UK has lost to.
If you think UK has more draft picks than UT and ,A&M you're crazy.
Bama has gotten better, yet they still weren't blowing other SEC opponents out like they did us.

Missouri Has much less talent but has beaten much better. We have done better in recruiting every year but 1 over them and they were like 5 spots above us that 1 year. We have also done better in the portal.

They do have more draft picks, because they took players and developed them. It's called coaching!

UT and A&M are better because they have better coaching.

Reactions: K86 and catben
So, it's kinda like the school is married to Stoops, and has to pay Alimony & Child Supports for his 10 kids until 2031?
EXACTLY!!

You don't like the way I cook and clean? PAY ME and I'm out of here
You don't like the way I keep myself up anymore? PAY ME and I'm out of here
You don't like the way I raise your children? PAY ME and I'm out of here

But in my mind I have reached the MAX in all of these areas and YOU should be ELATED with it and I'm worth EVERY penny I've earned for it!!!

THIS is Coach Stoops attitude toward the fans right now.

Reactions: ManitouDan
EXACTLY!!

You don't like the way I cook and clean? PAY ME and I'm out of here
You don't like the way I keep myself up anymore? PAY ME and I'm out of here
You don't like the way I raise your children? PAY ME and I'm out of here

But in my mind I have reached the MAX in all of these areas and YOU should be ELATED with it and I'm worth EVERY penny I've earned for it!!!

THIS is Coach Stoops attitude toward the fans right now.
At least the sex is good...

• Haha
But it is your money. What it costs to go to UK as a student has risen 1000% percent. Are people naive to think that the NIL money paid for these players is no actually coming from SEC tv revenue. Every SEC school that wants to have a chance at winning doesn’t fear the NCAA, they fear the fan base. Other than Vandy and UK, NIL doesn’t seem to be an issue.
This is the first time I’ve heard this. Do you have some evidence to share? Also, rising tuition is not a Kentucky exclusive. I believe tuition has increased everywhere. Even at schools that pay their coaches smaller salaries

I understand being frustrated. I’m frustrated. But I think people still don’t realize or accept how giant of a recruiting disadvantage UK is in no matter who the coach is. We produce very little in-state talent, so any UK coach will have to go to other states with more football tradition and poach their talent. That’s very hard. We also don’t have the NIL pockets that some other teams have to get kids to come here. Those facts alone will probably limit who UK can attract as a head coach and will also probably result in UK having to overpay whenever we hire our next coach.

Being the most northern SEC school should be somewhat of an advantage. Stoops has done a good job of trying to poach some talent out of the north. I think that's a better strategy than trying to beat out four or five SEC schools for players that our closer to their school. We just have coaching and discipline issues at this point. Other schools are not getting steamrolled by these teams. Stoops has not been competitive against the best and we have the most talent we've ever had right now...

Not really, pretty much VANILLA and NO pizazz lately.
😣 😣
That's why they make alcohol; have you tried any

images

Stoops' approved! “There’s no shortcut to creating a winning team, and I believe the same holds true for great whiskey,” said Coach Stoops, who is also a majority owner of RD1 Spirits. “I’m excited to share this celebratory bottle with Kentucky fans and to relive the excitement of the Citrus Bowl with every glass poured.”

Last edited:
He has two 10 win seasons in 11 years. Fixed it for you.
2018 and 2021. The first 5-6 years was a major rebuild from the god awful joker years. Like I said, two 10 win seasons in a 5 year span. The last 5 years.

Stop me when I start telling lies.

My simple mind boils it down to this: We’re spending 9 million a year for a football coach. Assuming good money buys a good coach, is Stoops the best we can get for our money? Many on here don’t think so. I’m with them.

2018 and 2021. The first 5-6 years was a major rebuild from the god awful joker years. Like I said, two 10 win seasons in a 5 year span. The last 5 years.

Stop me when I start telling lies.

And I am afraid in 2031 you will be saying 2 in the last 13 seasons.

It's so freaking insane to me people think like this. Do you not remember what UK Football was before Stoops, I'm ****ing ecstatic to be so disappointed in performances against UGA and Alabama. We used to hope we could keep it within 50 points. THE COAHCES SALARY DOES NOT MATTER.

“Hey, losing by 30 is better than losing by 50”

“Let’s celebrate!!”

Unreal loser mentality.

Being the most northern SEC school should be somewhat of an advantage. Stoops has done a good job of trying to poach some talent out of the north. I think that's a better strategy than trying to beat out four or five SEC schools for players that our closer to their school. We just have coaching and discipline issues at this point. Other schools are not getting steamrolled by these teams. Stoops has not been competitive against the best and we have the most talent we've ever had right now...
Agree 100% on the coaching and discipline issues. But the most talent UK has ever had is still well in the back-half of the SEC in terms of talent.

Take out the three cupcakes and Vandy (granted we lost to them last year) and what’s left is about 2-3 more wins against whatever SEC teams have losing seasons that year or maybe UL when they suck. Stoops is absolutely robbing the university. Barnhart should be run out of town for giving such ridiculous contracts to our coaches in both football and basketball. We are screwed for the foreseeable future in football. Kiffin and Heuple get paid the same thing as an example and run circles around CMS. Kirby only gets paid about $1.5M more. We’ve ponied up all right.
Yes we should pay him less...bc that would attract other coach talent here in the future.

You guys say you want to be a football school but you don't want anything to do with laying the proper foundations to do so.

This team is one win off where non psychos see we should be this year...but losing to the bluest of blue bloods in football was what tipped you over the edge huh?

Hi
Yes we should pay him less...bc that would attract other coach talent here in the future.

You guys say you want to be a football school but you don't want anything to do with laying the proper foundations to do so.

This team is one win off where non psychos see we should be this year...but losing to the bluest of blue bloods in football was what tipped you over the edge huh?
We overpay a guy so that we can pretend that we are going to pay the next guy more? Wouldn't you just offer the new guy more money to entice him to come?

Ok when the attendance bit was the only thing Matt Damon decided to bitch about I know I’m on to something with the other shit.
I knew you'd make it personal, you can't help yourself. Your obsession is noted. The rest of it isn't worth arguing, you're like Capt. Obvious without the charm.

Stoops is a solid coach. He put in a lot of work building a culture and lobbying administration to bring our facilities up to par, and deserves to be remembered fondly for bringing us out of the basement and into respectability.

The thing is, he’s never really shown any signs of improving from a solid coach to a great one. He’s still basically the exact same guy running the exact same strategies and with the exact same flaws as he was on day one. I feel like solid coaches usually reach a point where they run their course at a particular job, and we may honestly be at that point with him. Instead, administration decided to lock him in to a huge contract as if he’s a miracle worker uniquely capable of having a winning season here, even though a lot of us recognize that there’s probably several coaches who could achieve similar results now that the aforementioned investments in the program have been made. I think that’s the real source of frustration even though the results haven’t bottomed out yet by our historical standards. Just that feeling that the program is getting stale, but there’s little chance of accountability for that.

Reactions: law1127
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT