ADVERTISEMENT

What a terrible return on investment we get with Stoops

Frustration level is at ten. Twenty years of attending every UK football home game and I feel like I won’t live to see the program go to the next level. 1. Stoops has total disconnect from fans. Cancelled the Women’s Clinic, the Blue White game and turned fan day into “come stand on the sidelines of a practice. 2. Either can’t recruit young kids and ”coach them up” or can’t recognize the talent level of recruits thus reliance on the portal for qbs , etc. 3. Stubborn adherence to game plan/players when it’s obviously not working. 4. Lack of holding players accountable for stupid fouls. A little pine time might get thru to them. 5. Same old same old, “Saw some things from our team we really like, but saw some things that have to be fixed. “We’re going to get back at it this week, work hard and keep grinding “ 5. Other teams progress as the season goes, we do not. Venting over.

Take out the three cupcakes and Vandy (granted we lost to them last year) and what’s left is about 2-3 more wins against whatever SEC teams have losing seasons that year or maybe UL when they suck. Stoops is absolutely robbing the university. Barnhart should be run out of town for giving such ridiculous contracts to our coaches in both football and basketball. We are screwed for the foreseeable future in football. Kiffin and Heuple get paid the same thing as an example and run circles around CMS. Kirby only gets paid about $1.5M more. We’ve ponied up all right.

Kentucky probably has hit a ceiling with stoops and will win a max of 10 games with a bowl win in their best year, but to say that we are “screwed for the foreseeable future”
Is a bit insane.

I do not believe Kentucky will go to a 2 win program when stoops moves on, but they very well could. They could also maintain the level or possibly raise a little bit.

8 consecutive bowl games is not the bottom of college football as you make it seem to be though.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The-Hack
How is anyone supposed to know who will be available when Stoops is gone? Like every year, there will be several good, proven names available. There will be several up-and-comers available and there will be several OC's and DC's looking to move up.

As soon as someone gives you names, you're just going to try to diminish anything you can about them to prop up Stoops.
So you're so unsure you're unwilling to give a few names of people? Thats a cop out. We know hot seat coaches, we know smaller school coaches ready to move up and we may even know coordinators.

Are people naive to think that the NIL money paid for these players is no actually coming from SEC tv revenue.
Hmmmm.

I’m not particularly naive.

Give me a hint how this works.

UT receives money, and somehow filters it to the local auto company to pay out in NIL?

Quid Pro Quo on vehicles purchased by the University?

I do not doubt it could be done, but wonder how.

Frankly, I hope you are right. UK is as strong in SEC TV revenue as anyone . . . and can’t claim funding parity in any other fashion.

Last edited:
I knew you'd make it personal, you can't help yourself. Your obsession is noted. The rest of it isn't worth arguing, you're like Capt. Obvious without the charm.
When the talented and great Matt Damon comments on my posts I will of course honor him with a response. I am indeed obsessed with The Departed. I watch it at least once a year

So you're so unsure you're unwilling to give a few names of people? Thats a cop out. We know hot seat coaches, we know smaller school coaches ready to move up and we may even know coordinators.
How can I predict the future? What coaches will be available on 2026, because that is likely the earliest UK would part ways with him?

I'm not really unsure of anything. I'm actually very sure. I have several names I would look at now, but, again, you're just wanting to negate any name someone gives you to prop up Stoops. So no point in really playing that game.

If you think UK is relegated to being average, why are you so opposed to a change?

For over 9 million, we could drum up a lot of interest.

Last edited:
UK is just stuck in "No Win" situation...No Pun intended. With the lack of numbers of Big Time recruits in a State like Ky , Portal and NIL now out there UK is never going to get the the 4 and 5 star players needed to complete in the SEC no matter who the coach is. But with Stoops mind set of ball control slow the game down to win that never going to work in the modern SEC. UK is going have to find a coach that will risk fast paced Offensive game plan to hopefully stay close in a game vs Top Tier teams. Either way UK going to be 6-6, 7-5 team in new 16 team SEC but different coach with Modern Style should give UK some chance to pull an upset now and then. I know I didn't really answer your question but a lot less than the 8-9 M Stoops is getting UK can find a Coach
@bigbluedon , @DelayableMil

You guys need to read this article. It isn't based on opinion, it is based on results. Then you need to remember a couple of things.

1. If we got lucky with a brilliant hire it is very unlikely he'd stay. UK is a ladder rung in college football.

2. The results in the article make it clear that we would be very unlikely to make a hire as successful as Stoops and extremely unlikely to make a better hire.

3. Quit chasing pie in the sky and appreciate that we are no longer a doormat. Chasing the miracle hire is what causes programs like UK to be terrible for most of 60 straight years.

Reactions: Crystalglass
@bigbluedon , @DelayableMil

You guys need to read this article. It isn't based on opinion, it is based on results. Then you need to remember a couple of things.

1. If we got lucky with a brilliant hire it is very unlikely he'd stay. UK is a ladder rung in college football.

2. The results in the article make it clear that we would be very unlikely to make a hire as successful as Stoops and extremely unlikely to make a better hire.

3. Quit chasing pie in the sky and appreciate that we are no longer a doormat. Chasing the miracle hire is what causes programs like UK to be terrible for most of 60 straight years.

This is just an article debating if hiring an experienced head coach or P5 Coordinator is more successful.

Dude, we get you are very pro Stoops and of the mindset he is a coaching God that is simply being held back from demonstrating his coaching prowess because UK football is just so relegated to mediocrity. But some of just want a lot more and feel like we should strike while the iron is hot.

With what we are willing to put into the program now, there is zero logic that supports we couldn't land a very good hire. More and more people seem to be getting behind this idea, and it's honestly starting to feel like the beginning of the end of the Joker years amongst the fanbase. So, I won't be suprised if there is change after the next couple of seasons.

This is just an article debating if hiring an experienced head coach or P5 Coordinator is more successful.

Dude, we get you are very pro Stoops and of the mindset he is a coaching God that is simply being held back from demonstrating his coaching prowess because UK football is just so relegated to mediocrity. But some of just want a lot more and feel like we should strike while the iron is hot.

With what we are willing to put into the program now, there is zero logic that supports we couldn't land a very good hire. More and more people seem to be getting behind this idea, and it's honestly starting to feel like the beginning of the end of the Joker years amongst the fanbase. So, I won't be suprised if there is change after the next couple of seasons.
Dude, I get frustrated with Stoops. As for the article, apparently its over your head.

Since you're so sure though, put our money where your mouth is and list a few guys you're interested in. Whether they are available isn't relevant. Just pull up your big boy pants, tighten that belt and throw a few names out there.

Lol, I'm still amused that you don't understand the subtext of the article. Either that or you're so fond of your own opinion that you didn't bother to read cold hard facts.

BTW, which one of our retreads are you or have you really only been here for a day?

Dude, I get frustrated with Stoops. As for the article, apparently its over your head.

Since you're so sure though, put our money where your mouth is and list a few guys you're interested in. Whether they are available isn't relevant. Just pull up your big boy pants, tighten that belt and throw a few names out there.

Lol, I'm still amused that you don't understand the subtext of the article. Either that or you're so fond of your own opinion that you didn't bother to read cold hard facts.
Names? Okay.....Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Ryan Day, Steve Sarkisian, Andy Reid, Nick Sirianni. There's some names for you.

What was the article about then? You seem to think it's about something different than it is.

Now gives us all of your reasons why we can't realistically hire someone better?

Last edited:
Names? Okay.....Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Ryan Day, Steve Sarkisian, Andy Reid, Nick Sirianni. There's some names for you.

What was the article about then? You seem to think it's about something different than it is.

Now gives us all of your reasons why we can't realistically hire someone better?
What a clown. The article was about how unlikely our search would be. You'd know that if you could perform even the most basic level of extrapolation.

You must be very young.

What a clown. The article was about how unlikely our search would be. You'd know that if you could perform even the most basic level of extrapolation.

You must be very young.
Ohh, okay...

Here's the title if the article you posted, though. So even it disagrees with you.

"Group of Five Head Coach or Power Five Coordinator - What's the better hire?"

Ohh, okay...

Here's the title if the article you posted, though. So even it disagrees with you.

"Group of Five Head Coach or Power Five Coordinator - What's the better hire?"
As I said, you must be young. The conclusion was a third choice is best and by the stats in the article your likely success is a coin flip at best.

So, all you guys wanting Stoops gone are willing to take 25%-50% odds on making a successful hire. And then you have the baggage of playing in the toughest conference, an almost nonexistent recruiting base in state and last but not least, we're the type program most young coaches would use as a stepping stone.

Or of course you can keep the coach who is happy to retire here, recruits at a solid level and keeps us mid level in conference.

Most decisions in business and life involve a risk/benefit analysis. My position isn't that I love Stoops so much as I view replacing him skewed way too far into the risk side with very little benefit.

• Love
As I said, you must be young. The conclusion was a third choice is best and by the stats in the article your likely success is a coin flip at best.

So, all you guys wanting Stoops gone are willing to take 25%-50% odds on making a successful hire. And then you have the baggage of playing in the toughest conference, an almost nonexistent recruiting base in state and last but not least, we're the type program most young coaches would use as a stepping stone.

Or of course you can keep the coach who is happy to retire here, recruits at a solid level and keeps us mid level in conference.

Most decisions in business and life involve a risk/benefit analysis. My position isn't that I love Stoops so much as I view replacing him skewed way too far into the risk side with very little benefit.
So, you're saying now the article is in fact about whether it's better to hire a p5 coordinator or head coach?

Yes! Any coach you hire is going to be a risk. But keeping Stoops is also a risk. Life is about taking the best risks to put yourself in the best position to be successful.

We're already in the best conference, we already pay among the best, we don't have crazy high expectations, there aren't many stepping stones that are open that often. So this notion that any good hire we make is going to bail isn't rooted in logic. Hell, how many offers has Stoops actually gotten?

But not many people want that type of coach to stay here long. We want to coach who is hungry to win it all and prove something. I want the coach who aspires to make it the NFL, or Bama, UGA, OH st. or so forth. That tells me they are competitors who beleive they can win at the highest level.

Most people don't want the guy with mid-level aspirations, who just goes through the motions to collect a pay check. The fact that as a fan you're okay with that is very telling about the type of person you are.

There is a minimal risk considering we already are avg to below avg and have been for most of our programs history. There is a huge benefit though if we land a good hire. Which we can.

Last edited:
s
Look at the other SEC team's OOC opponents: Austin Peay, USF, Jacksonville State...
Yeah, the cynics like to say we have 4 annual automatic wins, forgetting that only we, Florida and South Carolina have ACC opponents we close the season with . . . . and U of L had had a national ranking about 50 percent of this Century.

may have already been posted but just adding some perspective

Mark Stoops’ Last 10 games vs Top 10 opponents..
- Ovr Record: 1-9
- Games scoring 14+ pts: 1
- Games scoring 10 pts or less: 6
- Avg pts scored: 8.7 ppg
- Avg pts allowed: 31.5 ppg
- Avg margin of loss: 26.1 ppg (in 9 losses)

He’s 1-17 vs Top 10 teams overall

And more perspective: of those “Top 10” opponents, roughly half of those games have been against Number One ranked Alabama or Number One ranked Georgia, and have occurred since 2015.

Guess what No One in America Could Beat those Teams, Except Each Other.

Georgia 65, TCU 7.

Coach Stoops has 12 wins over Top 25 ranked teams in 11 seasons, more wins over ranked teams than we accumulated the prior 36 seasons.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
And more perspective: of those “Top 10” opponents, roughly half of those games have been against Number One ranked Alabama or Number One ranked Georgia, and have occurred since 2015.

Georgia 65, TCU 7.

Coach Stoops has 12 wins over Top 25 ranked teams in 11 seasons, more wins over ranked teams than we accumulated the prior 36 seasons.
no argument from me in your stats

but lets just say it for what it is

He is paid handsomely to peak UK as a mid tier program and UK fans should have zero expectations for the program ever to compete against the best teams in the SEC

If you can say that in defense of the coach, then I'll support your position

may have already been posted but just adding some perspective

Mark Stoops’ Last 10 games vs Top 10 opponents..
- Ovr Record: 1-9
- Games scoring 14+ pts: 1
- Games scoring 10 pts or less: 6
- Avg pts scored: 8.7 ppg
- Avg pts allowed: 31.5 ppg
- Avg margin of loss: 26.1 ppg (in 9 losses)

You're just going to get told as a UK fan you should not reasonably expect any better.

It's fine that we look like an FCS team when we play top 10 opponents, we are UK, that's just how life is. We win when we play the School of the Blind Quadriplegic Sisters of the Poor, and that is what really matters and why we must pay 9 million a year to the HC. Any other expectations are unrealistic, and if you actually knew anything about CFB, you would know Mark Stoops is one of the greatest CFB coaches of all time.

It's UK and the fans fault that he is being held back from showing the greatness of his coaching abilities. We don't give him enough NIL funds.

And of course, UK football has become everyone's superbowl, so other teams play us a lot harder than other teams. And we are also so bad historically that other teams play harder against us because they don't want the embarrassment of losing to UK. ( Swear to God I read both of these claims on here this weekend)

Reactions: bigbluedon
You're just going to get told as a UK fan you should not reasonably expect any better.

It's fine that we look like an FCS team when we play top 10 opponents, we are UK, that's just how life is. We win when we play the School of the Blind Quadriplegic Sisters of the Poor, and that is what really matters and why we must pay 9 million a year to the HC. Any other expectations are unrealistic, and if you actually knew anything about CFB, you would know Mark Stoops is one of the greatest CFB coaches of all time.

It's UK and the fans fault that he is being held back from showing the greatness of his coaching abilities. We don't give him enough NIL funds.

And of course, UK football has become everyone's superbowl, so other teams play us a lot harder than other teams. And we are also so bad historically that other teams play harder against us because they don't want the embarrassment of losing to UK. ( Swear to God I read both of these claims on here this weekend)
you joined yesterday... which day were you reading the posts?.. saturday under your old name?

Georgia 65, TCU 7.

That's not accurate.

2013:
#7 UL, #8 MO, #1 Bama.

2014 was #1 MS St.

2016 was #1 Bama.

2017 was #7 UGA.

2018 was #6 UGA.

2019 was #10 UGA and #9 UF.

2020 was #8 Auburn, #6 UF, #5 UGA and #1 Bama.

2021 was #1 UGA

2022 was #3 UT and #1 UGA

2023 was #1 UGA and #8 Bama

7 of 18 seems like a good bit less than half. So what's the excuse for all the others that weren't #1 Bama or UGA?

Bama has gotten better, yet they still weren't blowing other SEC opponents out like they did us.

Missouri Has much less talent but has beaten much better. We have done better in recruiting every year but 1 over them and they were like 5 spots above us that 1 year. We have also done better in the portal.

They do have more draft picks, because they took players and developed them. It's called coaching!

UT and A&M are better because they have better coaching.

So what solutions are you offering?

Wonder what aTm thinks about their ROI? By the time it's all said and done including hiring a new football staff, in excess of $100M easily.

The
but lets just say it for what it is
OK:

“He has elevated a program in the bottom fifth of P5 programs to the top third, is recruiting consistently strong classes and is paid handsomely in the reasonable hope of continued and increased success.”

Wonder what aTm thinks about their ROI? By the time it's all said and done including hiring a new football staff, in excess of $100M easily.
Uh, just the firings/buy outs will be north of 100 million if my math is right.

Good grief, Bobby Petrino has earned more money the last 5 years to do nothing than 1,000 welfare queens.

And Jimbo will triple BP’s take!!

• Haha
Reactions: catben
7 of 18 seems like a good bit less than half.
Well, then at least another another three includes the only team that could compete, nationally with the number one team, Georgia vs. Bama, or Bama vs.Georgia.

Hell, the total victories of these teams are over 90 percent: outside of their games against one-another, no one has an impressive record.

Well, then at least another another three includes the only team that could compete, nationally with the number one team, Georgia vs. Bama, or Bama vs.Georgia.

Hell, the total victories of these teams are over 90 percent: outside of their games against one-another, no one has an impressive record.
So only 3 teams can compete with UGA and Bama? How come more than those 3 teams have either beaten them or played them extremely close in the last few years? Why are we the team that looks like an FCS team when we play them?

Lots of teams have impressive records. We just aren't one. Hell, I would take an 0-12 record if we could actually competed and looked like we belong on the field for the 12 games.

I get a lot of you all don't have very high expectations in life, but why ruin it for those who do?

Hell, I would take an 0-12 record if we could actually competed and looked like we belong on the field for the 12 games.

I get a lot of you all don't have very high expectations in life, but why ruin it for those who do?
Your "very high expectations" are to make you feel good about our effort while losing more?

Your "very high expectations" are to make you feel good about our effort while losing more?
No, that’s the “go to” line of folks seeking to establish some strange feeling of internet superiority, likely posting from Mom’s basement whilst saying it.

This poster just openly endorsed the superiority of an 0-12 record.

Some expectations!!

The

OK:

“He has elevated a program in the bottom fifth of P5 programs to the top third, is recruiting consistently strong classes and is paid handsomely in the reasonable hope of continued and increased success.”
I didn't figure you could say it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT