ADVERTISEMENT

Week 11 Tourney Projections

Big_Blue_1018

Junior
Oct 5, 2014
Dont think the last few weeks havent hurt? According to D1Baseball, UK has went from a protentional national host to now being a #2 seed in Morgantown with West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Central Michigan.

Dont think the last few weeks havent hurt? According to D1Baseball, UK has went from a protentional national host to now being a #2 seed in Morgantown with West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Central Michigan.
"Kentucky is the most notable omission. The Wildcats are still No. 2 with a 7-4 record vs. RPI Top 25 and 16-8 mark vs. RPI Top 50. However, we’re projecting and the remaining schedule isn’t kind to UK — road series against Vanderbilt and Tennessee, and home series against South Carolina and Florida. In other words, if UK hosts in the NCAA tournament, it will have certainly earned it." from D1

This schedule is absolutely daunting. We need to find a way to win at least 1 of the four remaining series and avoid sweeps. That would def get us in, and then it turns into how many we can win in order to secure a host spot.

These last four series are huge and also against teams that are more talented than we are. It’s going to be tough. One thing is for certain, if our hitting doesn’t come around we are in for some hard times.

These last four series are huge and also against teams that are more talented than we are. It’s going to be tough. One thing is for certain, if our hitting doesn’t come around we are in for some hard times.
Sean, it seems like every post you are making lately you are making sure to say that we are playing teams that are more talented than we are. I think in some cases that is the case, but I think it is easy to see other teams and think, "Man I wish we had that guy!" But I think there are other teams saying the same thing about some of our guys. LSU - definitely was more talented than us. I think they are more talented than everyone this year, player for player. But I don't necessarily agree with the other series we are playing. If you go position by position, you'll find guys who are more talented than our guys. But, you'll also find cases were our guys are more talented than theirs. Our weekend rotation has been pretty much unchanged this year. There are very few other schools who can say that, because of injury issues or performance issues and I am sure that our weekend guys are more talented that a lot of these others schools 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice they are on for their weekend guys.

If you compare us directly with Vandy - We have 7 guys batting over .277, they have 4. We have 4 guys in double digit SBs, they have 2, etc etc.

I'd say player for player this weekend Vandy has a "more talented" weekend rotation. We have a "more talented" bullpen.

If you go player for player:
C - I think Burkes is more talented than Davis
1B - Gilliam is more talented than Noland
2B - Pitre is more talented than RJ Austin
SS - I'd say it is a push between Smith and Vastine
3B - I'll take Felker over Davis Diaz
LF - Polk is more talented than Waldschmidt, but its close I'd say.
CF - Bradfield is more talented than Gray (I'd argue that is closer than people would say, though. Gray is hitting .341 and Bradfield .289. Bradfield is 26-30 in SBs, Gray is 16-21. Both cover a ton of ground in the OF. Gray has more gap to gap power. )
RF - RJ Schreck is more talented than anyone who plays RF for us.

Do you think this breakdown is wrong, or inaccurate? I just don't think that its a valid argument that "everyone else just has more talent than us so don't expect much for the rest of the year". It doesn't add up.

Reactions: backinky2018
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT