ADVERTISEMENT

Weather Anxiety

BGCATFAN2012

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2020
Anyone else have trouble with weather anxiety? I can't go week without sunshine or atleast sum clear sky. I get really bad anxiety with low clouds and no visibility, it's like I get really closterphobic. Anyone have any suggestions besides getting in the car and driving 500 miles to party cloudy skies.

• Love
Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Practice Hygge, the Scandanavian practice of doing everything "cozy". Warm fireplaces, emphasis on hot drinks and stews, maybe some light booze in there, blankets, cozy clothes. Take up some sort of outdoor activity.

I live in the Adirondacks and get far more dark and cold days than most here, and that generally keeps us all indoors from November to April. It's all about making your indoor environment appealing and not just some cold dark room you're stuck in, AND getting outside on the days you can. Your body can handle the cold FAR longer than your mind can. There's no reason you can't go for walks in 20 degree weather.

200.gif

It's the low clouds that really trigger it. I can handle the cold but it's the grey that kills me and low ceilings. Then I look at the long range forecast and it shows no sun for another 5 days. Thats when I get really bad mentally with anxiety and such

Practice Hygge, the Scandanavian practice of doing everything "cozy". Warm fireplaces, emphasis on hot drinks and stews, maybe some light booze in there, blankets, cozy clothes. Take up some sort of outdoor activity.

I live in the Adirondacks and get far more dark and cold days than most here, and that generally keeps us all indoors from November to April. It's all about making your indoor environment appealing and not just some cold dark room you're stuck in, AND getting outside on the days you can. Your body can handle the cold FAR longer than your mind can. There's no reason you can't go for walks in 20 degree weather.

Hell, I do that here in Eastern Kentucky. It’s funny, when I was a kid I was all about summer. The older I get the more I dig winter. I like hunkering down by the fire with a slice of pie and a nip of bourbon, going out to split wood, feeding the birds, cooking chili, beef stew and gumbo. I could sit in a deer stand on a snowy morning for hours. Even bought a smaller house so it would feel more cozy. I guess I’m the opposite of claustrophobic, whatever that’s called.

It's the low clouds that really trigger it. I can handle the cold but it's the grey that kills me and low ceilings. Then I look at the long range forecast and it shows no sun for another 5 days. Thats when I get really bad mentally with anxiety and such

In all seriousness, my father, who is 74, sits and reads with a fluorescent light shining on him during the winter and he swears it improves his seasonal depression. He’s been doing it for about 30 years. Idk if he gets vitamin D from it or what.

Baroque music. Bach and Handel. When it's light, it's all airy sprites and clear light. When it's serious, it's very serious. Deep faith. Firm rationality. Humane structure. When I do my stair step exercises in the morning, I listen to Handel. 12 minutes of marching to Heaven.

Smashcat is right about the light deficiency. I haven't bought one of those lamps but I know others that use them. Already mentioned but Cannabis helps a lot, something with a positive effect.

I live really far north (on Lake Superior) and the long gray days are the worst part, the snow and cold are bearable. But not a fan of the gray. I try to spend as much time out of doors as possible, to get as much sunlight as possible. The snow helps because it reflects so much light.

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
In all seriousness, my father, who is 74, sits and reads with a fluorescent light shining on him during the winter and he swears it improves his seasonal depression. He’s been doing it for about 30 years. Idk if he gets vitamin D from it or what.

My wife has chronic major depression that worsens in winter. She started the light therapy about 5 years ago and it helped a lot. Reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression greatly. The lights are relatively cheap.

Cloudy weather is my favorite, but summer is where I have problems. Knowing that the temp is going to in the high 90s gets me worrying about keeping cool, the electricity staying on, HVAC not working, etc.

You may be living in the wrong place if it really impairs your life that much. Arizona or SoCal would provide a permanent solution.

You may be living in the wrong place if it really impairs your life that much. Arizona or SoCal would provide a permanent solution.
I have close relatives who have ping-ponged back and forth from SoCal to Arizona for 40 years or so. When we visit, the huge urban spaces get to me. A trip to a favorite restaurant might take 40 minutes. Going to a certain bookstore might take an hour. Each way. One time I'd caught up with a college friend on Facebook and we were going to meet up when I got out West for a wedding. But when were actually there, my sideline trip to San Diego was like going to Knoxville. Just out of the question.

I don't mind space. Natural space is a kick. Southern Utah and its 60 mile vistas has become a favorite spot. But vast urban spaces are just oppressive. I feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie.

It's never got this bad for me before. A week without sun with another week Togo is to much I need to evacuate

I've had a theory for some time now that all the 'best' serial killers come from the Pacific NW because the constant cloudiness just does something to their brain. One of the reasons I moved from KY/Southern Ohio is the 90 days of late fall into winter where the temp is low, the dampness is high and it's gray and overcast damn near every day. Ohio Valley gets socked in from Nov-Feb and it's just so darn drab it definitely bummed me out for weeks at a time.

Of course, it was negative temps in Denver area where I live now over MLK weekend with some sunshine but that didn't help a whole lot when it's beyond frigid outside. I thrive in sunny weather when I feel I can get out and do something. Gray and overcast gives me the blues.

Anyone else have trouble with weather anxiety? I can't go week without sunshine or atleast sum clear sky. I get really bad anxiety with low clouds and no visibility, it's like I get really closterphobic. Anyone have any suggestions besides getting in the car and driving 500 miles to party cloudy skies.
I’m very near the point that I can’t live in Kentucky anymore. I need sunshine and warmth and dryer air. Kentucky had a grand total of three half days of sunshine the entire month of December. That was of course followed by a week of wet and wind and snow and temperatures near 0. I have chronic illness problems. Damp, cold conditions make me hurt so much more. Constant weather fronts and pressure changes make things so much worse. Not being able to go outside puts me on the edge of absolutely losing my mind. Cold alone isn’t the problem. Places that are cold, but sunny with dry air are just fine. I had a fireplace installed this year and it only helped so much. This will be my last winter in Kentucky.

Last edited:
That makes it worse.. it's like I get really bad anxiety with the grey clouds bud makes it trigger worse anxiety than being sober
Yes it does. I have found my anxiety has lessened considerably since I quit smoking weed. It's been about 5 months now and that's huge for my health and well being considering the fact I smoked for close to 30 years.
As far as the anxiety with the lack of sun, have you had your vitamin D checked?

Move to Tucson. Used to live there for 4 years. Great town, cheaper and less crowded than Phoenix. Great weather and big skies.
I moved to Tucson for a year once. Loved it. Had to come back for reasons too complicated to explain here. Now plotting my escape again. That said, I still have friends in Tucson and Covid changed things. People fled to Tucson from higher priced area. Real estate and rent skyrocketed. A lot of the unique and quirky businesses closed during the height of Covid and did not reopen. The increase in building costs drove out some of the long standing wonderful weirdness of Tucson. There are other areas of Arizona I’m considering. I do remember the year I moved there and laying out in 70 degree sunshine while the temperature in Lexington was like negative 10.

Yes it does. I have found my anxiety has lessened considerably since I quit smoking weed. It's been about 5 months now and that's huge for my health and well being considering the fact I smoked for close to 30 years.
As far as the anxiety with the lack of sun, have you had your
I
As far as the anxiety with the lack of sun, have you had your vitamin D checked?
I'll probably have it checked soon considering how bad I feel right now. No way should we have a overcast last 2weeks. This is Kentucky not Canada or Russian were winter sticks around there til May. I'm sure I'll be fine but my vitamin d is definitely low. Having a overcast 2weeks has never happened to me like this were it affects my mental and emotional wellness. I'm nauseous with the worse blah feeling I've felt all winter. Last week was rough but If the forecast holds it would 14 days without sun here in south central ky.

I moved to Tucson for a year once. Loved it. Had to come back for reasons too complicated to explain here. Now plotting my escape again. That said, I still have friends in Tucson and Covid changed things. People fled to Tucson from higher priced area. Real estate and rent skyrocketed. A lot of the unique and quirky businesses closed during the height of Covid and did not reopen. The increase in building costs drove out some of the long standing wonderful weirdness of Tucson. There are other areas of Arizona I’m considering. I do remember the year I moved there and laying out in 70 degree sunshine while the temperature in Lexington was like negative 10.

Sad to hear, left Tucson in 2007 and still miss it. Great memories there.

• Love
A light therapy box did not help me. I’ve added more and more lighting to my house over the years; that has not helped. I added a gas fireplace this year; only helped some. I’ve tried running a dehumidifier; didn’t really help. Extra vitamin D does not really help. Until someone truly figures out how to simulate the light and heat of the actual sun, I don’t think winter in Kentucky can be better for me or others like me.

I

I'll probably have it checked soon considering how bad I feel right now. No way should we have a overcast last 2weeks. This is Kentucky not Canada or Russian were winter sticks around there til May. I'm sure I'll be fine but my vitamin d is definitely low. Having a overcast 2weeks has never happened to me like this were it affects my mental and emotional wellness. I'm nauseous with the worse blah feeling I've felt all winter. Last week was rough but If the forecast holds it would 14 days without sun here in south central ky.
Yeah it's been a pretty miserable winter here in the bluegrass. Got some sun and drier weather next week and I hope it happens. Like to do some things outside. Maybe go fishing. I've found when I feel some anxiety come on to stand up and take some deep breaths through my nose and exhale out of my mouth. I like to get some good stretches in. Maybe grab some dumbbells and get a quick 15 minute workout in. Some good clean eating helps me as well as it doesn't make me feel like crap afterwards. Drink lots of water as well. I always feel better after that. What works for some doesn't work for others, though. Hope you get to feeling better.

Isn’t that why they call it the winter blues? Also since the holidays are over and things are calming into a routine it probably increases it?

I have had anxiety issues for over sixty years, since my mid twenties. Brighter lights have slightly helped the winter blues. What helps me more than anything since my wife passed is to stop staying inside when it is cold and dreary, and actually get outside and do something...anything. I've learned that just leaving the house, going outside for a walk or a drive, or forcing myself to go to a movie I don't really want to see, all helps. I've read plenty of books about anxiety, which at times can be debilitating. There are plenty of mechanisms that help, you just have to find the one that helps you because everyone is different. I've been retired awhile and am able to take a trip to Florida, or Vegas, or wherever if I get too sick of the dreary weather, but my kids and grandkids all live in Louisville and Lexington, so I don't like to be gone long. I trip to visit them will generally keep me busy enough to cheer me up.

Move to Florida. All of your problems will go away. Seriously, that’s why people move there. It’s like the best-kept secret.
Considering its population has exploded from around 9 to nearly 23 million in recent decades, I think it safe to say the “secret” is out.

That’s actually kinda become Florida’s problem. Too damn many people want to live there now. More than its ecosystem was meant to handle.

Baroque music. Bach and Handel. When it's light, it's all airy sprites and clear light. When it's serious, it's very serious. Deep faith. Firm rationality. Humane structure. When I do my stair step exercises in the morning, I listen to Handel. 12 minutes of marching to Heaven.

Do ya like Huey Lewis and the News?

Considering its population has exploded from around 9 to nearly 23 million in recent decades, I think it safe to say the “secret” is out.

That’s actually kinda become Florida’s problem. Too damn many people want to live there now. More than its ecosystem was meant to handle.
I was being sarcastic the entire post.

I wish there was a nice coastal climate left in the US that had a population density more like the 70s. People want to be in pretty places with comfortable weather; I am one of those people. Unfortunately there’s more of those people than there are those places. I would love to be able to go back to like Oceanside, California, circa 1976 or 1982.

Reactions: UK90
Another thing, and I don't understand why more people don't do this.

Extend Christmas. Make it go an extra week or two.. or heck all of January. Keep playing Christmas music, keep the tree and the lights up. Get together with the people you havent seen post holiday. Christmas to me is just as much of a state of mind than it is a single day on the calendar. I always felt that taking down the lights and tree 3 days later was so depressing.

Kind of goes hand in hand with Hygge. Always makes January much more enjoyable. And then by the time you're really all done.. you got another month until spring weather starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT