ADVERTISEMENT

Weather Anxiety

I have close relatives who have ping-ponged back and forth from SoCal to Arizona for 40 years or so. When we visit, the huge urban spaces get to me. A trip to a favorite restaurant might take 40 minutes. Going to a certain bookstore might take an hour. Each way. One time I'd caught up with a college friend on Facebook and we were going to meet up when I got out West for a wedding. But when were actually there, my sideline trip to San Diego was like going to Knoxville. Just out of the question.

I don't mind space. Natural space is a kick. Southern Utah and its 60 mile vistas has become a favorite spot. But vast urban spaces are just oppressive. I feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie.
I don't like urban areas either. Probably because I grew up in the country in southern KY.

Another thing, and I don't understand why more people don't do this.

Extend Christmas. Make it go an extra week or two.. or heck all of January. Keep playing Christmas music, keep the tree and the lights up. Get together with the people you havent seen post holiday. Christmas to me is just as much of a state of mind than it is a single day on the calendar. I always felt that taking down the lights and tree 3 days later was so depressing.

Kind of goes hand in hand with Hygge. Always makes January much more enjoyable. And then by the time you're really all done.. you got another month until spring weather starts.

I’ve always said Christmas should be January 25th! So many positives and very few if any negatives. Would make winter considerably more tolerable

Another thing, and I don't understand why more people don't do this.

Extend Christmas. Make it go an extra week or two.. or heck all of January. Keep playing Christmas music, keep the tree and the lights up. Get together with the people you havent seen post holiday. Christmas to me is just as much of a state of mind than it is a single day on the calendar. I always felt that taking down the lights and tree 3 days later was so depressing.

Kind of goes hand in hand with Hygge. Always makes January much more enjoyable. And then by the time you're really all done.. you got another month until spring weather starts.
Interesting comment. So my sweet mother called January 6th "Little Christmas". According to her, that is the day the wise men got to the manger. We put our tree up on Christmas Eve, and took it down on January 7th. This was in the 40's and 50's while I was still on the farm. Once I got married and had kids, my sweet wife wanted the decorations up right after Thanksgiving, and wanted them down on the 26th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT