ADVERTISEMENT

We will need rim protection to have any chance to make a deep run...

CatsnRoses

Senior
May 13, 2007
whether that means giving more minutes to Collins or Onyenso, one of the two has to play. I realize the offensive downside to playing one of them alongside Oscar but unfortunately with how bad Oscar is defensively I really don't see any way around it unless you scale Oscar's minutes back and play them at the 5 instead in short bursts.

Not saying we need 30 mins a night from them but at least 12-15 productive minutes (from one of the two) to keep the shots around the rim less efficient for a period of time.

We don't have a down side in regards to offense. We will always have spots no matter who we will face anyways were we won't score. We always do. So yes go big and rim protect and always keep Oscar in for offense and put backs. Play one of Collins or Ugonna with Oscar.

Onyenso will not play unless we are in serious foul trouble. He hasn't played in a month. I agree that we could use some good minutes from Collins. The problem is you can't play a non-scorer with Oscar. I don't mind Collins spelling Oscar for a bit, but playing together clogs the lane and limits our offense. Same with Ware.

whether that means giving more minutes to Collins or Onyenso, one of the two has to play. I realize the offensive downside to playing one of them alongside Oscar but unfortunately with how bad Oscar is defensively I really don't see any way around it unless you scale Oscar's minutes back and play them at the 5 instead in short bursts.

Not saying we need 30 mins a night from them but at least 12-15 productive minutes (from one of the two) to keep the shots around the rim less efficient for a period of time.
Cal just played six guys the other night. These dudes aren’t playing.

Oscar is too valuable to keep off the floor. That being said if I were the head coach I would’ve been putting Ugo and Collins earlier in the year because you can’t expect anyone to average 40min/game.

I’m afraid it’s too late now to adjust the line up and we just have to go with who has seen significant minutes over the past season. Cal really is the worst coach I’ve ever seen at developing a bench. Two caveats to that last statement: I only watch UK and I’m 31 so I’ve been seriously watching them for about 20-21 years.

Reactions: CatsnRoses
Onyenso will not play unless we are in serious foul trouble. He hasn't played in a month. I agree that we could use some good minutes from Collins. The problem is you can't play a non-scorer with Oscar. I don't mind Collins spelling Oscar for a bit, but playing together clogs the lane and limits our offense. Same with Ware.

Yeah I realize the offense will suffer with Collins out there alongside Oscar. But watching opponents get uncontested layup after uncontested layup isn’t a winning strategy either. Maybe mucking the game up and grinding out a 65-61 type of win is the best chance this team has against a team like Marquette or Providence.

I think you’re going to see that! Good call.

This is why I wish Ugonna got more run this year. He is the type of shot blocker we have been missing the last several years.

Who knows, remember Marcus Lee came off the bench in 2014 and helped beat Michigan.

That's not going to happen. We should just be asking our guys to stay in front of their man. We do not have any help defense at the rim and that's not going to change at this point in the season.

Reactions: SophiesDad
Cal doesn’t know what to do. In his press conference just the other day he said he has to find ways to get Collins on the floor more. After the season.

If Oscar isn’t in foul trouble, he’s playing 35+ minutes. You go with your best 5-6 and see what happens. Way too late now. Have to live with your deficiencies and hope you can win with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ala_kat2
Oscar not being a good defender combined with him having to play soft D to stay out of foul trouble is a BIG limitation for this team. He can’t clobber a guard driving and send a message as he has no fouls to give and we have no viable backup. Opponents know this and drive at will. Really wish we played him and Collins together for more minutes this season so it would be in our arsenal.

Last edited:
This just isn't going to happen.
I mean if Ugonna and Collins didn't play much up to this point, what makes anyone think they are going to get significant minutes in tournament games.

Reactions: bevcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT