ADVERTISEMENT

We now have a great 8 man rotation, if Cal will use it.

ukfan1622

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2021
I'm saying DJ, Shep, Dilly, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, Z, Bradshaw.

Mitchell hasn't been himself in a while and isn't any better healthy
than any of the four I named. Ugo just has too many limitations.

If Edwards, DJ, and Thiero keep shooting like they have recently
there is no way for Cal to screw it up with bad combinations among
those eight.

those eight.
I disagree as to Ugo. I agree that he has limitations, but so do "Z" and Bradshaw. If you cut Ugo's minutes, you adversely impact his ability to contribute when it's absolutely necessary ... like when "Z" and/or Bradshaw get in foul trouble. I'm vanilla about Mitchell. I'd be willing to bet that if those 8 that you mentioned become the first 8 on the floor, we'll have enough cushion during the games for Ugo and Mitchell to get a few minutes apiece without hurting anything. And, I repeat ... we might need either one of them if we run upon another crazy ref - as has happened so many times to the 'Cats in the post-season.

than any of the four I named.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

I disagree as to Ugo. I agree that he has limitations, but so do "Z" and Bradshaw. If you cut Ugo's minutes, you adversely impact his ability to contribute when it's absolutely necessary ... like when "Z" and/or Bradshaw get in foul trouble. I'm vanilla about Mitchell. I'd be willing to bet that if those 8 that you mentioned become the first 8 on the floor, we'll have enough cushion during the games for Ugo and Mitchell to get a few minutes apiece without hurting anything. And, I repeat ... we might need either one of them if we run upon another crazy ref - as has happened so many times to the 'Cats in the post-season.
Yeah, I wouldn't cut either to zero. Well, I'd rather Mitchell's minutes be at the end of a blowout until he gets fully
healthy and gets his 3 point shot back. But I'd probably give Ugo only maybe 6 mpg unless foul trouble becomes
an issue. I don't think he's a lot better than either Z or Bradshaw on defense. The #8 guy was my biggest decision; the others are the clear top seven and it's time to cut the rotation if we want to make a tournament run.

those eight.
Bradshaw has had 3 good games out of like 20. Onyenso has out played him in the season, and he gives us something Bradshaw doesn’t, and is better than Bradshaw at areas that are a weakness for our team.
If Mitchell isn’t healthy, then yeah leave him out. But if he can get back close to what he was the first half of the season, then he definitely should play some too. He’s had more good games than Edwards and Bradshaw combined.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think the important thing is the first 6 guys should get pretty much all the minutes at the 1-4. Who plays the 5 is situational.

Bradshaw has had 3 good games out of like 20. Onyenso has out played him in the season, and he gives us something Bradshaw doesn’t, and is better than Bradshaw at areas that are a weakness for our team.
If Mitchell isn’t healthy, then yeah leave him out. But if he can get back close to what he was the first half of the season, then he definitely should play some too. He’s had more good games than Edwards and Bradshaw combined.
Like I said I had trouble deciding that 8th spot. But I don't think we need to keep trying to
play 10 guys per game at this late stage of the season. I agree that Ugo has been better
most of the year but frosh are supposed to improve and, maybe I'm deluding myself, but
I was thinking that was the case for Bradshaw.

Reactions: Fox2monk
PG Sgeppard
SG Dillingham
SF Reeves

They only come out when they have to. Then Wagner and Edwards come in.

PF Thiero/Mitchell/Edwards- whoever is playing best plays the most.

C Ivisic/Onyenso/Bradshaw/Mitchell- whoever is playing best and based on matchups.

All 3 bigs will get minutes, but they will be distributed based on game situation and specific matchups. One of them will get 14-15 mins in 2nd half.

Mitchell will keep getting some mins. Again, this will be based on matchups and game situations. Alot of this will depend on how Edwards does with his mins at the 4.

Bottom line is that Cal will use all 10 of them in most games, but the rotation will tighten to a 7-8 man rotation in the 2nd half of most games. The good news is Cal has a legit 10 players from which to pull those 7-8 players. I suspect that players 8,9, 10 will change from game to game. Ugo is a better defensive matchup than Bradshaw in certain games. If Mitchell knocks down a couple 3's early in a game, then he's going to take minutes from Edwards or Thiero. Next week should be interesting!

PG Sgeppard
SG Dillingham
SF Reeves

They only come out when they have to. Then Wagner and Edwards come in.

PF Thiero/Mitchell/Edwards- whoever is playing best plays the most.

C Ivisic/Onyenso/Bradshaw/Mitchell- whoever is playing best and based on matchups.

JMHO but DJ needs to play significant minutes. He is our best perimeter on ball defender. He is also a really good at getting to the paint and his spot.

If he is getting back to himself (mid-Dec to mid-Jan form), he has to get a lot of minutes. I'm not saying 30 mpg, but at minimum, 20. You have 120 minutes between 4 guys. Unless we are playing a super athletic wing, I'm running a combo of those guards at the 1-3 spot for sure.

Edwards and Thiero primarily at the 4, spell at the 3 if needed. If Mitchell can get back to what he was he splits most time at the 5 with Z...mix in AB and Ugo for stamina reasons.

DJ had a 8 game stretch avg 13pts, 4ast, 2t/o, 55% 2FG, 40% 3FG.

I mean before USC game in a 13 game stretch he had similar stats to above. So the sample size isn't that small.

JMHO but DJ needs to play significant minutes. He is our best perimeter on ball defender. He is also a really good at getting to the paint and his spot.

If he is getting back to himself (mid-Dec to mid-Jan form), he has to get a lot of minutes. I'm not saying 30 mpg, but at minimum, 20. You have 120 minutes between 4 guys. Unless we are playing a super athletic wing, I'm running a combo of those guards at the 1-3 spot for sure.

Edwards and Thiero primarily at the 4, spell at the 3 if needed. If Mitchell can get back to what he was he splits most time at the 5 with Z...mix in AB and Ugo for stamina reasons.

DJ had a 8 game stretch avg 13pts, 4ast, 2t/o, 55% 2FG, 40% 3FG.

I mean before USC game in a 13 game stretch he had similar stats to above. So the sample size isn't that small.
Yeah, I am good with Wagner getting 20 or so minutes a game.

PG Sheppard(30)/Wagner(10)
SG Dillingham(30)/Wagner(10)
SF Reeves(30)/Edwards(10)

Something like that at the 1-3 spots.

Yeah, I am good with Wagner getting 20 or so minutes a game.

PG Sheppard(30)/Wagner(10)
SG Dillingham(30)/Wagner(10)
SF Reeves(30)/Edwards(10)

Something like that at the 1-3 spots.

That’s the 1 though 3 rotation we’d play if we’re dead serious only about winning a title (without any consideration of other factors such as recruiting promises). It’s the one that best maximizes what has worked best for us all season long.

Reeves, Sheppard and Dillingham should all three be playing over 30 mpg in the NCAA tournament. But I’m skeptical that Cal will actually do it.

If Wagner is not playing 25-30 minutes a game against good teams we aren’t winning.

But Cal will play the right guys. He always does.

All 3 of our bigs have to run the floor hard the entire game.
All 3 of them can out run Edey. He'd be gassed the last 15
minutes of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT