ADVERTISEMENT

We just went 9-16 (worst team in UK history), and Calipari expects fans...

TheBlueMax

Junior
Jan 1, 2003
Kentucky
...to feel good about the Saga of Terrence Clarke?

This was the plan all along. Like many before him, there was little thought of ever staying past one season, brutal though it was. This was all contrived from the beginning, right down to a phantom injury that was no more than a hangnail made into a major medical emergency. Boy, do I feel used and abused. Glad no money was lost in this rip off of a deal.

It's a misnomer to call this program a "Players' First" program. Add Clarke to a rapidly growing and very long list of kids who aren't the least bit interested in this program and its storied history, not interested in academics, and not interested in winning anything other than a ticket on the fast track to the pros.

I wish they would discontinue writing their "Dear John" equivalent letter. Please--don't embarrass me or yourselves by writing--or having someone write it for you--all that fake sentiment. I'm sick enough. These kids don't respect this school, this program, and this legacy; there is no existence of "La Familia." That too, like "Players' First," is simply a nice name to help placate the fans and make us think that they have built some uncommon loyalty in the span of about eight months on campus.

Don't know what you might want to call it, but it's far from a "Players' First" program. Maybe it's every bit as much of a "Team Last" program as anything else. I don't feel good about this at all, and you shouldn't either. Feel nauseous! Don't really want to hit the "post thread" button.

What's he gonna say right now? "I think Terrence Clarke is a complete idiot for declaring for the NBA. He was the guy who needed to unpack his bags back in December. He's not ready for the NBA and it's clear his heart was never at Kentucky."

No, he's not gonna say that. If he did, it would destroy our recruiting. Every opposing coach in the nation would be using it against Cal on the trail. Also, nothing Cal says publicly will change Clarke's mind. I'm sure he had a talk with him privately, but it's also clear Clarke had his mind made up. Given the way made that statement- "renounce my remaining eligibility"- seriously?

So, what is Cal going to do? He's going to play nice. He's going to say kind things. In this situation, that's exactly what he should do.

What's he gonna say right now? "I think Terrence Clarke is a complete idiot for declaring for the NBA. He was the guy who needed to unpack his bags back in December. He's not ready for the NBA and it's clear his heart was never at Kentucky."

No, he's not gonna say that. If he did, it would destroy our recruiting. Every opposing coach in the nation would be using it against Cal on the trail. Also, nothing Cal says publicly will change Clarke's mind. I'm sure he had a talk with him privately, but it's also clear Clarke had his mind made up. Given the way made that statement- "renounce my remaining eligibility"- seriously?

So, what is Cal going to do? He's going to play nice. He's going to say kind things. In this situation, that's exactly what he should do.
What he should do is stop recruiting so many that have no desire to be here and are only here because they have to be for a year. I’m not saying all 5 stars are like that, but some definitely are and it’s not even in question. They should be easy to identify throughout the recruiting process.

He needs to come out and say if you aren't going to be here for the team first and foremost from day 1 or even day 1,000, then we aren't recruiting you here anymore. We don't want players who have one foot out the door before stepping foot on campus. Go to the G League if that's what you want. The success of the team comes first and that will also bring success to the players. We will help make your dreams come true but not at the expense of the team.

The main thing he's going to do is to keep doing more of the same.

What he should do is stop recruiting so many that have no desire to be here and are only here because they have to be for a year. I’m not saying all 5 stars are like that, but some definitely are and it’s not even in question. They should be easy to identify throughout the recruiting process.

We don't want a roster of all four year players, not all 3 year players, not two year players, nor one and done's. A mix of all would be the best imo. We still need the Clarke's and Boston types but they have to produce which this years crop of O&D's did not.

It’s an atrocious sport. It really is. The one and done stuff has killed it, transformed a generation cause of it.

Agreed. I like horse racing, but very few races are “appointment TV” for me outside the Triple Crown and Breeder’s Cup. I casually follow the sport outside of 4-5 weeks out of the year. I cheer for my gambling picks.

College basketball is becoming the same. I watched 5 UK games after we lost to Louisville and it was apparent our season was toast. I’m having a ball watching March Madness but I’m cheering for my gambling picks.

Agree. Cal did what he had to do and what he should do in this case. What Cal really needs to do is stop recruiting so many of these type players.

He said what he had to say, but that's the problem. Cal puts out this diatribe on a daily basis. Everybody on here knows none of this is true about Clarke.
So we're supposed to believe him when he says changes are coming....blah blah blah.
Cal spewed this stuff from the beginning but we didn't hear because he was winning and getting the elite recruits. Now that things are different his message smells like a trash can in the summer.

Is it me or has college basketball become a complete mess. Between the revolving door of players, coaches, and the endless bitching about race I'm quickly losing interest in it.
First time I can recall since the probation period I haven't watched a complete UK game. I think I may have seen only about 20 mns of the entire season.

The Kentucky Wokecats!

How about, 'We wish Terrence the best in his career and we're working hard to have a successful season next year.' And just leave it at that. He doesn't have to spew a bunch of nonsense platitudes that no one believes. Just say, in so many words, it's his decision, wish him the best but we're more concerned about how we get better next year

He needs to come out and say if you aren't going to be here for the team first and foremost from day 1 or even day 1,000, then we aren't recruiting you here anymore. We don't want players who have one foot out the door before stepping foot on campus. Go to the G League if that's what you want. The success of the team comes first and that will also bring success to the players. We will help make your dreams come true but not at the expense of the team.
It is all about the $$$$$...Cal's $10 million per year and one or two draft picks each year make the big bucks. It has nothing to do with winning or maintaining the BBN tradition. Guess Barney had blinders on when he gave Cal a lifetime contract.

It’s an atrocious sport. It really is. The one and done stuff has killed it, transformed a generation cause of it.

Not sure it has killed the game as much as it has hurt blue bloods. Top programs that have sipped that tea are starting to feel it in a major way. Meanwhile other schools are reaping the benefits. Schools like Gonzaga and Creighton have been slowly using it to their advantage. This coupled with the transfer carousel and the players being paid will be an interesting caveat. The game will be forever changed for sure. We need to start swimming with the times or sink like a stone.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

This was the plan all along. Like many before him, there was little thought of ever staying past one season, brutal though it was. This was all contrived from the beginning, right down to a phantom injury that was no more than a hangnail made into a major medical emergency. Boy, do I feel used and abused. Glad no money was lost in this rip off of a deal.

It's a misnomer to call this program a "Players' First" program. Add Clarke to a rapidly growing and very long list of kids who aren't the least bit interested in this program and its storied history, not interested in academics, and not interested in winning anything other than a ticket on the fast track to the pros.

I wish they would discontinue writing their "Dear John" equivalent letter. Please--don't embarrass me or yourselves by writing--or having someone write it for you--all that fake sentiment. I'm sick enough. These kids don't respect this school, this program, and this legacy; there is no existence of "La Familia." That too, like "Players' First," is simply a nice name to help placate the fans and make us think that they have built some uncommon loyalty in the span of about eight months on campus.

Don't know what you might want to call it, but it's far from a "Players' First" program. Maybe it's every bit as much of a "Team Last" program as anything else. I don't feel good about this at all, and you shouldn't either. Feel nauseous! Don't really want to hit the "post thread" button.

Excellent, Excellent Post

Reactions: susan2361

With the money in the NBA, that’s just a sign of the times. Get used to it.

We don't want a roster of all four year players, not all 3 year players, not two year players, nor one and done's. A mix of all would be the best imo. We still need the Clarke's and Boston types but they have to produce which this years crop of O&D's did not.
I have no problem with that as long as the one and done types don’t have one foot out the door the day they set foot on campus. All of those guys want to get to the NBA, but some don’t give a crap how their college team performs. I want no part of those. AD, MKG, KAT, Cousins, Wall, Knight, etc. we’re all one and dones, ,but there’s zero doubt playing for Kentucky meant a great deal to them. The last few guys? Not so much.

Why are you even crying about it? On one hand fans are saying we need more shooters and on the other hand your upset Clarke is leaving. So what do you want? Clarke to stay where he has to start and his shooting to miraculously improve?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT