ADVERTISEMENT

We got some o line problems

SaguaroCat

All-American
Apr 27, 2008
Couple years in the making.
I know the last coach was a bit of an ahole, but this started earlier.
Think last year. We had to find a left tackle in portal to replace Landon, because there was no one behind him.
We had to beg Darrian Kinnard not to go pro, because there was no one behind him.
We had to move our starting guard to center, because no one was behind Drake.
That starting guard was replaced by a redshirt freshman.
And now that guy had to move to center. He was replaced by a redshirt freshman. And there's a redshirt freshman next to him.

Don't know what happened to those classes of 2018, 2019, 2020, but it is showing up now.
Big Blue Wall is not a perpetual machine.
Good news is, next year and especially year after that, all these young guys will make another solid group.
I just hope this year we recruit players now to replace them later

Last edited:
Yes. I’m afraid next week is gonna be a nightmare for Levis. Wohlabaugh was a turnstile and he was just the most noticeable. We may have to scheme differently to protect Levis i.e. leaving TE’s in to block and IMO Wright needs to play major snaps as he seemed to be the only willing rb blocker. I’m afraid Florida game may be a little early for some of these guys.

We struggled with smaller more athletic offensive lines in each of the last two seasons. I wouldn’t panic yet.

Honestly Floridas defensive line looked like their worst unit on the team. I think Kentucky defense can slow Florida down a lot more than Utah could. I’m saying Kentucky wins in a close one 24 to 21

Reactions: wildcatwelder
We struggled with smaller more athletic offensive lines in each of the last two seasons. I wouldn’t panic yet.
Struggled, yes. Allowed them free reign, no.

Probably some first time starters having jitters and definitely a lack of experience because Wolf didn't rotate players. Will be huge to see how the line progresses over the next few games. Unfortunately, I think that the line has a ton of talent that experience hasn't caught up to yet... And there's no remedy except time. How that impacts the W/L of the season as a whole is yet to be seen.

Yes, it's Concerning but remember Miami is not your run of the mill cupcake. They are a well coached team from a conference that knows how to play football the hard nosed way.
You can’t be serious. UK is going to get manhandled by Florida if the line plays like this Saturday.

Miami is decent for a MAC team, but even Vandy could beat them.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Yes, it's Concerning but remember Miami is not your run of the mill cupcake. They are a well coached team from a conference that knows how to play football the hard nosed way.
And from what I understand they are favored to win their conference.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Should be pointed out that this was Eli Cox's first start at C and the significance of that is the C is the guy who calls blocking assignments for the OL. Radio mentioned several times that Miami made penetration unblocked, maybe Cox made the wrong calls. I imagine he'll spend considerable time this week with Drake Jackson. These are things that can be corrected with practice and experience.

Reactions: catburglar
Think last year. We had to find a left tackle in portal to replace Landon, because there was no one behind him.
We had to beg Darrian Kinnard not to go pro, because there was no one behind him.
And now that guy had to move to center. He was replaced by a redshirt freshman. And there's a redshirt freshman next to him.

Don't know what happened to those classes of 2018, 2019, 2020, but it is showing up now.
Good news is, next year and especially year after that, all these young guys will make another solid group.
Thanks for the details, but I think we knew going in it may be a weakness. Not good in the SEC. We’ll learn a lot come Saturday one way or the other. Sure wish we had CRod.

Great point....
1. We got lucky to land Dare Rosenthal end of last year via portal...It was going to be Flax RT and Kinnard LT last year...so the Jake Pope, Nick Lewis, Joshua Jones are all offensive tackles and they've never were on a depth chart.
2. The 2020 big OL class of Deandre Buford, Jeremy Flax, Reuben Adams, Joshua Jones and John Young....this is the year for that class (in their 3rd year) to lead the program. So far only Flax sniffs PT...and he's an un proven tackle thus far. This class and development under Schlarman, Wolford and Yenser is going to be our main issue this year.
3. We really needed Tyler Steen to transfer here from Vandy who ultimately choose Bama and follow Wolford....missing on him will end up being a big miss for this year in all likelihood.

We have to see what Yenser can do with this group....I think this unit will be the difference in 10-2 and 7-5....and that is a ton of pressure on the unit But we can all see it...we have the QB, WR and TE room to play at elite level. This unit very early appears to be the most lacking on the offensive side (and probably entire team). My first impression is Wohlbaugh was really bad....and a lightly recruited player in only his 2nd year. Jager Burton was not really any better...so the left side is a mess...and thsi is how we ended last year in the bowl game with Levis running for his life. I'd hope Horsey gets back to healthy and Goodwin can make strides to acclimated....we need it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT