ADVERTISEMENT

Watching these Kellan Grady highlights

When a spot-up shooter shoots 38% from 3-point range, we say "That's decent." But when a multi-skilled player shoots that percentage by taking long-range, step-back, and pull-up shots, we say "I'm intrigued."

Watching his pleasantly surprising highlights, aside from his shooting ability, I'm struck by his solid first step, his upper body strength, his above average leaping ability, his fast hands, and his balance/coordination.

I think he needs a bit of conditioning (looks like he's carrying about 10 lbs too many) and extra time in the weight room, which will only help him.

Once concern: I noticed that a lot of his highlights came in games in which his team was losing. Nitpicking, probably, but I noticed it.

Looks like a very confident offensive player that can get separation or see the lane, put the ball on the deck and Attack the rim.

I love skilled basketball players that play the game with a football mentality.

Hopefully after playing with Mintz and now Grady, Allen can grow into a similar type player who can play more aggressively with the ball in his hands.

This appears to be a great pickup for UK and a must get for Cals offense. Hopefully he doesnt have to try and drive around a UK big man growing roots in the blocks... Uggh

Everyone is enamored with transfers... it's just more of what we don't need. They may pick things up quicker than 5* freshman, but they are even bigger question marks. Everyone wants the quick fix, but it's not getting us back to where we want to be. Recruit long, athletic, shooters and coach them up over 2-3 years... that is the only recipe for sustained success.
Kellan Grady was great in the A-10, but even then he often disappeared and struggled against length. That is all he going to see in the SEC. Cal wouldn't have started him on last year's team... not the direction we need to go IMO.

No idea who this guy is. I trust your assessment of him. I rarely get excited about any new player till I see them play a few games. Been disappointed too many times, specifically this past year. This team was suppose hang #9, but the 9 turned out to be total wins. So, I will wait and see. I will say this tho, unless Cal revamps his offense and defense to match the players he has, not much will change.

That's all
No idea who this guy is. I trust your assessment of him. I rarely get excited about any new player till I see them play a few games. Been disappointed too many times, specifically this past year. This team was suppose hang #9, but the 9 turned out to be total wins. So, I will wait and see. I will say this tho, unless Cal revamps his offense and defense to match the players he has, not much will change.

Def what I was wondering watching this...Will Cal do something offensively to let this guy thrive and not set him up for failure here.

Everyone is enamored with transfers... it's just more of what we don't need. They may pick things up quicker than 5* freshman, but they are even bigger question marks. Everyone wants the quick fix, but it's not getting us back to where we want to be. Recruit long, athletic, shooters and coach them up over 2-3 years... that is the only recipe for sustained success.
Kellan Grady was great in the A-10, but even then he often disappeared and struggled against length. That is all he going to see in the SEC. Cal wouldn't have started him on last year's team... not the direction we need to go IMO.
What a bunch of nonsense.

I get that. This was a disappointing season to say the least. We were all excited to start the year but that fell flat immediately.

I guess the reason I'm excited about this guy is because he appears to have a scorer's mentality and that is something this team lacked this season. He's also proven himself for 4 years against high level teams, not just weak teams. He's a guy who appears to be able to take charge and get you a bucket when you need it, too, and that's something we didn't have this season either.

When a spot-up shooter shoots 38% from 3-point range, we say "That's decent." But when a multi-skilled player shoots that percentage by taking long-range, step-back, and pull-up shots, we say "I'm intrigued."

Watching his pleasantly surprising highlights, aside from his shooting ability, I'm struck by his solid first step, his upper body strength, his above average leaping ability, his fast hands, and his balance/coordination.

I think he needs a bit of conditioning (looks like he's carrying about 10 lbs too many) and extra time in the weight room, which will only help him.

Once concern: I noticed that a lot of his highlights came in games in which his team was losing. Nitpicking, probably, but I noticed it.
Sure. He play's better when his team is losing. No need to play good when your team is losing. I would believe that is when a player needs to be playing his best.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
How often do you get to add a D1 2000 point scorer? I'll hang up and listen.
tenor.gif

What UK needs are "college good" players. That's what Grady is, and most freshmen are not (regardless of stars and high school rankings). The players on UK's roster are not going to be NBA All-star level (although they may develop into that down the road in the NBA) - and don't need to be to win a championship. But the players do need to be college good now, and not just potential for someday (which is often the main/only reason most of these freshmen are draft picks to start with). Because so many leave early, the best college players are generally upperclassmen that may never excel in the NBA, or even get drafted by NBA teams. So, what?

Last edited:
He looks well rounded, impressive player bringing maturity, nice offensive game and doing it against D-1 talent for 4 years. I LOVE this get.

I notice he wears #31. Have we had a guy wear that number since Dale Brown was here?

What UK needs are "college good" players. That's what Grady is, and most freshmen are not (regardless of stars and high school rankings). The players on UK's roster are not going to be NBA All-star level (although they may develop into that down the road in the NBA) - and don't need to be to win a championship. But the players do need to be college good now, and not just potential for someday (which is often the main/only reason most of these freshmen are draft picks to start with). Because so many leave early, the best college players are generally upperclassmen that may never excel in the NBA, or even get drafted by NBA teams. So, what?
Agree 100% - the best teams in college basketball are generally the most experienced teams. Juniors and seniors are older, stronger, and have been through the ups and downs in a college season. They know what is expected from the coach and can adjust To changing game situations generally better than a freshman can. Cal has emphasized talent, athleticism, and wingspan over basketball players with basketball sense. We need to blend in freshman/sophs with the upperclassmen and build a team of complimentary players. With 13 scholarships, you can afford to have a few players who have a particular specialty ie a shooter or rebounder who may not be a particularly good ball handler or defensive player but can be used in certain situations during the game. My biggest concern for next year is Cal. Is he going to have an offense that emphasizes player and ball movement or more of the same stagnant one on one garbage. Also, we may have a much deeper bench - why not run and press more and keep your players fresh while mentally and physically wearing down the opposition.

The Kid is a certified Baller. We needed this Kid BAD since we dont have a solid wing coming in next year.

Good post. I agree. There is a difference between "college good" and freshmen. I'll take "college good" anytime because of the experience factor. We learned this past season what unproven 5 stars can get you....

Good post. I agree. There is a difference between "college good" and freshmen. I'll take "college good" anytime because of the experience factor. We learned this past season what unproven 5 stars can get you....
I think we both understand that sometimes a freshman can be college good. But, I don't think that's the case often enough to stake your team on it. I think it's particularly unwise to expect freshmen to carry a team's scoring load or be great shooters. However, I think a freshman can be part of the plan - even starters on a good team - particularly when surrounded by more experienced college good players. But I think starting 2 or 3 freshmen is just asking for issues and inconsistency.

He really looks like he can score in a lot of ways. Not blazing fast but he moves with confidence. He actually reminds me a lot of how Jamal Murray moved & scored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT