ADVERTISEMENT

Saw Travis Perry play today

Stretch98

Junior
Jun 4, 2007
In the All A Classic. Scored 37 in a win over Owensboro Catholic.

Very heady player with great fundamentals. Strong handles with both hands. Quick shot from distance, released exactly the same way every time. Sees (and comprehends) the whole court and actually (like Reed Sheppard) is more effective as the second guard because of his ability to advance the ball on the fast break and move without the ball in the half court offense. He has obviously been very well coached throughout his basketball life and his play and instincts remind me of Indiana great Steve Alford.

Physically, he is a tough SOB and I believe he has the footspeed and quickness to play in the SEC. He plays below the rim but we don't need him to be Dr. J. UK fans will definitely love his effort and he can really shoot it.

Should be a good game against Newport on Saturday if both teams make it. I'm going to drive down to watch Lyon County regardless of who they play. I've watched them in the Sweet 16 the last couple of years and they are a fun team to watch.

The game is at the Corbin Arena in case anyone was wondering..

Very heady player with great fundamentals. Strong handles with both hands. Quick shot from distance, released exactly the same way every time. Sees (and comprehends) the whole court and actually (like Reed Sheppard) is more effective as the second guard because of his ability to advance the ball on the fast break and move without the ball in the half court offense. He has obviously been very well coached throughout his basketball life and his play and instincts remind me of Indiana great Steve Alford.

Physically, he is a tough SOB and I believe he has the footspeed and quickness to play in the SEC. He plays below the rim but we don't need him to be Dr. J. UK fans will definitely love his effort and he can really shoot it.
Also, from what I've seen of Perry in the past he seemed to be in constant motion. Did you notice that in watching him now?

Should be a good game against Newport on Saturday if both teams make it. I'm going to drive down to watch Lyon County regardless of who they play. I've watched them in the Sweet 16 the last couple of years and they are a fun team to watch.

The game is at the Corbin Arena in case anyone was wondering..
Newport PG Taylen Kinney is outstanding. That should be a fun matchup to watch.

I saw Travis Perry play twice recently and was very impressed by everything he did on the court. I'm so glad he's coming. What do you think his actual height is ?? Are you convinced he can play on-ball defense against college guards ??

Reactions: UKortho
Will he be more like Richie or more like Lofton?
I would take either. But I have thought about Richie Farmer's game some when watching Perry. Both were great high school scorers with terrific pull-up games. I think Farmer was a better leaper, but they both seem to have a strong lower body. I think Perry has a more consistent 3pt. shot and quicker release on that shot.

Honestly, I don't remember Chris Lofton's game in high school. I know he was great 3pt. shooter. In college he was so deadly with that shot because of both accuracy and how quick he could get it off.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Also, from what I've seen of Perry in the past he seemed to be in constant motion. Did you notice that in watching him now?
I've seen him multiple times and your definitely correct, he's in constant motion and never seems to become winded. They, Lion Co., won the City of Palms Tourney and a day or so later won at Lexington Catholic with very limited rest. They are one of the best coached high school teams I've ever seen, extremely enjoyable to watch. If your close go see them play, it maybe the game he goes over 5,000 points. That's a feat very few people will ever witness.

Reactions: NociHTTP and G-PIP
I've seen him multiple times and your definitely correct, he's in constant motion and never seems to become winded. They, Lion Co., won the City of Palms Tourney and a day or so later won at Lexington Catholic with very limited rest. They are one of the best coached high school teams I've ever seen, extremely enjoyable to watch. If your close go see them play, it maybe the game he goes over 5,000 points. That's a feat very few people will ever witness.
I believe his dad coaches them. Any chance he can take Cal’s place next year?

I also was there Thursday to watch him. He can shoot the ball but since Lyon Co. ran a 1,2,2 zone not sure about his defense in a man to man. He can pass the the ball and sees the court well but since he be an off guard at UK his playing time will be based on if he has the lateral quickness to break down a quick athletic SEC guard and create his own shot and be able to defend in the man to man. Since Cal doesn't play a Zone and doesnt run set plays to get guards open looks just not sure if he gets much floor time at UK, time will tell.

Reactions: megablue
I also was there Thursday to watch him. He can shoot the ball but since Lyon Co. ran a 1,2,2 zone not sure about his defense in a man to man. He can pass the the ball and sees the court well but since he be an off guard at UK his playing time will be based on if he has the lateral quickness to break down a quick athletic SEC guard and create his own shot and be able to defend in the man to man. Since Cal doesn't play a Zone and doesnt run set plays to get guards open looks just not sure if he gets much floor time at UK, time will tell.
I saw him play twice and had 100% the same observations that you just presented. I do wish he was taller …,

I saw him play twice and had 100% the same observations that you just presented. I do wish he was taller …,
I no great basketball mind but I was at the game with one of our local High School Basketball coaches. When I mentioned to him just what I saw he agreed and really broke down the things he saw in Perry's game. He felt he an amazing High School player and in the right College system he could excel but that system not UK with Cal.

But there's one part of Perry's game that I think does bode well for him at UK. Perry seems to be in constant movement, and yet doesn't seem to tire out much. In a motion offense that's gold.

Reactions: megablue
But there's one part of Perry's game that I think does bode well for him at UK. Perry seems to be in constant movement, and yet doesn't seem to tire out much. In a motion offense that's gold.
That is true he is in constant motion. Like was mentioned wish he was a little taller

Reactions: G-PIP
Saw Newport defeat Lyon by two points today. Newport's Tay Kinney is a heck of a prospect for a tenth grader. Very smooth and a gifted athlete. Also, Kinney is supposedly 6-1 and Travis Perry 6-2 but Kinney appeared about two inches taller to me. Probably grew some since the 6-1 was published on the internet sites but doubtful to 6-4. My guess is Kinney 6-3 and Perry 6-1.

Saw Newport defeat Lyon by two points today. Newport's Tay Kinney is a heck of a prospect for a tenth grader. Very smooth and a gifted athlete. Also, Kinney is supposedly 6-1 and Travis Perry 6-2 but Kinney appeared about two inches taller to me. Probably grew some since the 6-1 was published on the internet sites but doubtful to 6-4. My guess is Kinney 6-3 and Perry 6-1.
Kinney’s got some Trae Young in his game. Can be very special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT