ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner left hand layups

Please stop! He’s like 2-68 on those this year and keeps throwing them up.
You ain't kiddin....he's a mess finishing that way....but he is adamant to keep trying it.

DJ shot 41%FG and 30% 3pt (and he sort of had to get hot in last few games to get even to 30% from deep).....if he comes and leaves here in 1 season putting up those numbers, and he never was able to be a plus defender while warranting 26 minutes a game.....what a negative for UK. Surely he is coming back to build off that season.

For comparison...
- Devin Askew was 35%FG and 28%3pt for reference and he played a much worse supporting cast and the game was less open floor (due to the surrounding talent) in his one year.

Savhir Wheeler was 41%FG and 36% 3pt for reference...and again I'd argue the supporting cast was not as good.

I don't think DJ was as bad as Devin....but I can't argue he was any better than Wheeler...and UK fans excoriated Wheeler to the point of him quitting. Why Cal started DJ over 2 superior PG is mind boggling.

This guy was ranked #1 in his class for the better part of his HS career?

My God...
Only because of his name. He's 6-3, can't shoot, loose handles and is no more athletic than Reed. And for him to be a right handed player, he never seems to go right. It's one of the weirder things I've seen on the court but then again, his coach never seems to correct it or bench him for continually doing it so...

Last edited:
I really wish someone could pull the actual numbers of him driving left. It has to be less than 10%. Many times they are complete air balls. And then Ugo just stands there for about two seconds before he realizes what's going on and doesn't even attempt to rebound the ball.

It's funny I told my buddy before the game that Cal would end our season by playing DJ, Thiero and Ugo together too much because there's not enough scoring. Well, Ugo has scored 2 points in his last 49 minutes of play. DJ played 29 minutes and had 8 points on 3-9 shooting. Thiero only had 7. And of course, Edwards reverted because TxAM is physical. He gets in a rhythm against finesse teams like Bama and Vandy but like AB, he can't play against physical teams that body him as he shies away from contact.

Recipe for disaster.

Are they actually layups? I wouldn’t have an issue with it if they were. Many times those left hand “layups” are from 4-5 feet away.

Reactions: bIhawk
You ain't kiddin....he's a mess finishing that way....but he is adamant to keep trying it.

DJ shot 41%FG and 30% 3pt (and he sort of had to get hot in last few games to get even to 30% from deep).....if he comes and leaves here in 1 season putting up those numbers, and he never was able to be a plus defender while warranting 26 minutes a game.....what a negative for UK. Surely he is coming back to build off that season.

For comparison...
- Devin Askew was 35%FG and 28%3pt for reference and he played a much worse supporting cast and the game was less open floor (due to the surrounding talent) in his one year.

Savhir Wheeler was 41%FG and 36% 3pt for reference...and again I'd argue the supporting cast was not as good.

I don't think DJ was as bad as Devin....but I can't argue he was any better than Wheeler...and UK fans excoriated Wheeler to the point of him quitting. Why Cal started DJ over 2 superior PG is mind boggling.
He's "working on his game" at the expense of the program.

And I think that lefty layup was money for Wag most of the year — it was the only shot he could consistently make — last night he shot at least 2 , maybe 3 , that hit the OPPOSITE square on the back board . And he’s made a bunch of really pressured lefty layups , these were damn near wide open

Reactions: BigKari
Why would you want him back
You think he gets quicker? You think he will get better defensively? Tougher?
Use NIL go find players like Taylor who want to get paid

Why would you want him back
You think he gets quicker? You think he will get better defensively? Tougher?
Use NIL go find players like Taylor who want to get paid
Radford shot 40%FG and 30%3pt this year.....he's a pure chucker is all he is.

DJ is a young dude and he'd likely improve a good bit and be as good as a guy we could buy via portal IMO.....

But if he comes and goes....he was just another dude that "was working on his game" and didn't really help UK do anything and need to avoid kids like this (but Cal ain't changing his philosophy)

Wagner is extremely overrated. He had a good game here and there and fans were quick to proclaim his greatness. But he’s nothing special. He’s the type of guy who should be a 3-4 year player, but thats not happening here under Cal. He’ll never be half the player Andrew Harrison was for us.

Wagner is extremely overrated. He had a good game here and there and fans were quick to proclaim his greatness. But he’s nothing special. He’s the type of guy who should be a 3-4 year player, but thats not happening here under Cal. He’ll never be half the player Andrew Harrison was for us.
He’s no different than Wheeler offensively and defensively. He’s very overrated on the defensive end too. But yet he’s starting haha

Reactions: ck-2
I don’t get why people think he was ranked because of his name ? Plenty of former NBA guys that was better than Dajuan Wagner had a son that wasn’t ranked 1 . Same class as Peja and Bron . He was very good in HS but hasn’t adjusted to the college game well offensively but that doesn’t mean he was ranked off of name .

Reactions: K_TIME
He’s been a big miss - could have got a portal pt guard like Pullen at Florida
Wagner gives us nothing - he gets blown by on defense - has to be wide open to shoot and make shots - dreadful finisher at the hoop
Just a massive overrated player to give the keys to

Are they actually layups? I wouldn’t have an issue with it if they were. Many times those left hand “layups” are from 4-5 feet away.
I’ll be honest, a couple of times last night I said “was that a lob !” . Was he expecting someone to be there ?

Reactions: ncaaky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT