ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner issues? (No issues)

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
So, who saw this Wagner being ignored by teammates stuff?? I didn't see it, but people have mentioned it. To those that actually saw something, is there something there? Or is this a ish stirring nothing burger.

Not trying to perpetuate rumors. Honestly just trying to figure out where this is coming from. I'm on record as saying that I believe he is legit hurt and no way would he voluntarily sit out.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I didn’t notice it either. I never put much stock in stuff like this, even if something did happen. There’s a lot going on during a game, sometimes you might miss someone’s hand trying to high five you. It’s not like Wagner was isolated in a corner by himself. The times I saw him on camera, he was up and hyping his teammates.

Edwards went to the bench after playing great for several minutes. He was fist bumping and high-fiving his teammates. DJ held his hand out, but Edwards walked past. DJ kept his hand out.

I don't think Edwards saw him do it. It didn't appear to be anything other than Edwards didn't notice. That's my take.

So, who saw this Wagner being ignored by teammates stuff?? I didn't see it, but people have mentioned it. To those that actually saw something, is there something there? Or is this a ish stirring nothing burger.

Not trying to perpetuate rumors. Honestly just trying to figure out where this is coming from. I'm on record as saying that I believe he is legit hurt and no way would he voluntarily sit out.
There is no chemistry issues within the team. Surprisingly this years team gets along much better than teams the past several years. They are genuinely good kids who cheer each other on. The 2 home losses to Florida and Tennessee truly seem to have awaken them and they seem to have mentally shifted. I just hope it translates to the court against better competition. Only time will tell.

Another poster in the Edwards thread was sitting 4 rows behind the bench and said there was NO PROBLEM.

He said that Edwards came out of the game another time and Cal went over and reamed him out pretty good( I would say for his pitiful defense and not going after rebounds) and Wagner came over to him and hugged him and gave him some words of encouragement. And that Wagner was engaged and encouraging everyone all night.

Stuff like this starts evolving when the team struggles and is blown WAY out of proportions. DJ is a team guy and is actually hurt. A high ankle sprain can be really tough to overcome. But the good thing is he should be back either Saturday or Auburn at the latest.

This team has problems, especially defense, but comradery isn’t one of them. These guys seem to get along great!!

At the end of the game. I saw DJ and Reed laughing and pointing to someone in the stands, looking like they were very happy, no signs of issues. I did see when one of the Cats went to the bench DJ was over by the end of the bench with a five hanging and this player headed toward the other end, probably didn't see him. Not a problem that I could tell, just the way it worked out.

Some of our fan base are SO desperate for there to be chemistry issues with this team (not you SemperFi, the people who originate these rumors).

These dudes love each other- Wagner and Edwards were out this past weekend on their Instagram story, they are always laughing and joking with each other, etc.

Wasnt the whole "stands" thing something about a fan who wanted to meet DJ or something?

As for players snubbing other players in handshakes.. I'd need to see the footage again. Usually these are nothing, players don't always get around to high fixing everyone. But.. that doesn't mean it can;t be an issue either. I'd need to see it myself.

Reactions: chroix
Looks like a nothingburger in my opinion. Edwards wasn't even looking towards DJ he was looking at the left of the bench. Same when Z did it earlier in the game.

Reactions: chroix
There is no chemistry issues within the team. Surprisingly this years team gets along much better than teams the past several years. They are genuinely good kids who cheer each other on. The 2 home losses to Florida and Tennessee truly seem to have awaken them and they seem to have mentally shifted. I just hope it translates to the court against better competition. Only time will tell.
This team appears to be VERY matchup dependent….our two Achilles heels (1) abysmal perimeter guard defense to contain dribble penetration (2) Lack of physicality on the entire roster……so you want to avoid the South Carolina’s of the world with their 25 & 26 year olds who play a beat you up style of basketball….and you want to avoid teams with multiple elite drivers.

I’d bet the Venn diagram of people saying this and the people saying Bradshaw kissed that Vol player is a circle. Same ones that freaked out about the picture of the kid with the shovel. Same ones that will get this thread deleted when they realize that everyone doesn’t agree with them.

Wagner is as in to the games as anybody. I agree I was at the Florida game and he gets into and very much looks like a kid who is happy to be here. I hope he is back Saturday, because he can help defensively on the perimeter

Reactions: catben
I’d bet the Venn diagram of people saying this and the people saying Bradshaw kissed that Vol player is a circle. Same ones that freaked out about the picture of the kid with the shovel. Same ones that will get this thread deleted when they realize that everyone doesn’t agree with them.
Kid with a shovel? What happened there? I missed that one

Reactions: Emarc
I didn’t notice it either. I never put much stock in stuff like this, even if something did happen. There’s a lot going on during a game, sometimes you might miss someone’s hand trying to high five you. It’s not like Wagner was isolated in a corner by himself. The times I saw him on camera, he was up and hyping his teammates.
Could always go back and watch.. Happened, but looked like he was trying to be a good teammate.

Was at the game last night - certainly nothing I noticed. I can say the bench seemed VERY happy for Burks - his first basket the bench jumped in unison out to the edge of the floor, and built from there with every basket. Also were supportive of Edwards I thought.

Vandy was just not a very good team, gym felt at least 80% Blue, and was a game to try to build some confidence. Shep too unselfish last night - but took the role of facilitating vs scoring to heart. Z learning to fight and be more physical. Burks looked great energy and excited to play - just the type thing I liked seeing. engaged on defense and rebounding. Reeves smooth - good night. Dillingham is a bucket or a long range turnover... he just loves to shoot and score. Love him - but he scares me some. Some passes that never had a chance and some dribbling into 3 defenders. Adou sadly does not look 100% IMO. Played - but...

Glad to have gotten to see them in person.

And Brad Cal on the Vandy bench... idk... just odd (but better than on UK's bench).

And Red Panda always delivers...

Last edited:
Wagner is as in to the games as anybody. I agree I was at the Florida game and he gets into and very much looks like a kid who is happy to be here. I hope he is back Saturday, because he can help defensively on the perimeter
I wish we had one of these teams that would/could be like the Fla teams that won b/b titles and decided to stay together to do that.

Was nothing. I saw it. Edwards going out after playing well, heading to left end of bench. DJ had a five hanging, edwards didn’t see it. DJ left it hanging as if to say, “bro, you left me hanging.” Edwards didn’t see it. Typical college kid stuff. Wasn’t purposeful, actually thought it was hilarious on DJ’s part. We’ve all done it. Just a bit after, Edwards went over and completed the five.

Was at the game last night - certainly nothing I noticed. I can say the bench seemed VERY happy for Burks - his first basket the bench jumped in unison out to the edge of the floor, and built from there with every basket. Also were supportive of Edwards I thought.

Vandy was just not a very good team, gym felt at least 80% Blue, and was a game to try to build some confidence. Shep too unselfish last night - but took the role of facilitating vs scoring to heart. Z learning to fight and be more physical. Burks looked great energy and excited to play - just the type thing I liked seeing. engaged on defense and rebounding. Reeves smooth - good night. Dillingham is a bucket or a long range turnover... he just loves to shoot and score. Love him - but he scares me some. Some passes that never had a chance and some dribbling into 3 defenders. Adou sadly does not look 100% IMO. Played - but...

Glad to have gotten to see them in person.

And Brad Cal on the Vandy bench... idk... just odd. And Red Panda always delivers...
Rob was 9/1 ratio last night. He and Reeves are the straw stirring the drink right now for this team. Sheppard had four tos which was unusual, but still had a good game. Calipari needs to get out of his own way and utilize all the talent he has! Be a CHEERLEADER and stop screaming and yelling all the time.

Reactions: crestcat
Calipari needs to get out of his own way and utilize all the talent he has! Be a CHEERLEADER and stop screaming and yelling all the time.
I believe there's something in Cal's ego that simply won't allow him to do something the bennies see weeks before he does. He'll fight something, almost to the end, before he caves. Wins or losses be damned. He has to prove the hilljacks wrong. BBN knowing basketball drives him nuts.

I saw a video this morning someone had posted on the Cats walking back to the locker room after the game. You can see DJ limping noticeably as he walked by.

I saw a video this morning someone had posted on the Cats walking back to the locker room after the game. You can see DJ limping noticeably as he walked by.
The last update I saw was that it was looking positive that he can play Saturday

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT