ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

A wonderful one to this day. He also did not do my job applications and interviews for me or choose where I was going to work. Nor did he tell my employers what my expectations where and whether I would be impressed by them or not. He taught me to be a man and handle these things myself.

If this is so in the norm, why can we not find any other examples of grad transfer dads being this involved. Offering advice and opinion is one thing. Making media statements about how the process will go down and explaining what will and wont be acceptable for your 22 yo son is a bit much.
Well, you also haven't been in Kerry's position either. This is different....check that, WAY different than when you applied for a job at McDonald's at 22 years old. This is a decision that could not only affect the rest of Kerry's life, but it affects his family's life too. This decision could make or break this kids financial future. Make the wrong decision and end up in the G league or overseas. Make the right decision and sign a huge contract in the NBA and possibly be a long term player.

If you don't understand the situation Kerry and his family are currently in, then you're just ignorant.

This isn't the type of decision you 100% leave up to the kid, he is obviously tight with his parents and it should be a process that they go through together.

Not to mention, Kerry is going through the NBA stuff right now and is probably a little busy. Did you ever think of that?

Did you ever have a decision to make that could potentially grant you life changing money? At 22 years old? I bet not.

We had Julius Mays a few years back and I don't recall his dad handling things. There have been countless others around the country and I don't recall their dad being as involved as KB's seems to be. I am all for getting advice and feedback from family, friends, coaches and advisers. I find it very odd when the dad is making comments about how the process will go down and what they will and won't be impressed with. Seemed very much like dad was in charge. Hope I am wrong.

He is very unlikely to be invited to the combine if he is not top 100. They only invite around 60. Also, you would think he would want to tone up on his interview skills if he was going to be interviewing with teams and media there.
You're pretty damn opinionated about this. Maybe if you knew the family you would think differently.

The bottom line is you don't know the family and I bet that you have never been in this situation.

So you obviously don't agree with the father being this involved in his sons life changing decision and are having trouble dealing with it.

Just say you would handle it differently and move on.

Commenting on your kids injury status is quite a bit different from controlling your 22 y/o sons grad transfer. If KB dad just came out and was like he is looking at a lot of schools and will do what he thinks is best, that would be fine. When his dad comes out saying what will and won't be acceptable or seen as impressive to either of them tells me the dad is a lot more involved than he should be.

It's not hard to get his number or reach out to him via VT. How do manage to get in touch with all these other players.

I doubt they have their hand out. No one is accusing them of cheating or being bad people. I just think it is odd a 22 y/o is deferring to his father to handle things, make comments and decide what will and won't be acceptable. So I do question that his dad may steer him elsewhere to be a larger focal point on a team.
Who made you the authority on how family's should behave?

You're pretty damn opinionated about this. Maybe if you knew the family you would think differently.

The bottom line is you don't know the family and I bet that you have never been in this situation.

So you obviously don't agree with the father being this involved in his sons life changing decision and are having trouble dealing with it.

Just say you would handle it differently and move on.
I have no problem with his dad offering advice or being involved. I have an issue with his dad controlling it when he is 22. If this is common why can no one point to another instance of similarity? Did your dad do your job applications and interviews for you at 22? Of course not because no one would hire you. Hell, my dad didn't even do that at 15 when I started working and I was a minor.

If he was a pro, do you think his franchise would want their dad managing the player and telling them what will and won't be acceptable or impressive to him and his son?

Parents could and should give advice and support. They should not manage and control it for you at 22 years old.

You all seem to really struggle with the differences between them. Must be a generational thing.

Who made you the authority on how family's should behave?
Who has said anything about how his family should behave? I said he needs to be handling his own situation at 22 and not letting his daddy call the shots and say what will or wont be acceptable to him and his son. Do you really not understand the difference?

The funny part is when he gets told to go somewhere else by his dad, most of you will be here bitching about how these kids needs to make their own decisions and not be influenced by their parents. It's like clockwork.

I have no problem with his dad offering advice or being involved. I have an issue with his dad controlling it when he is 22. If this is common why can no one point to another instance of similarity? Did your dad do your job applications and interviews for you at 22? Of course not because no one would hire you. Hell, my dad didn't even do that at 15 when I started working and I was a minor.

If he was a pro, do you think his franchise would want their dad managing the player and telling them what will and won't be acceptable or impressive to him and his son?

Parents could and should give advice and support. They should not manage and control it for you at 22 years old.

You all seem to really struggle with the differences between them. Must be a generational thing.

Why is it even bothering you ? Seem like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. What he and his father does is between them and is no one else business.

Why is it even bothering you ? Seem like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. What he and his father does is between them and is no one else business.
I wouldn't really say I am the one bothered by it. I just brought it up and get jumped all over by several people on here for even suggesting it. I just mentioned I don't think we will get too involved until KB himself reaches out and shows he is making his own decisions.

His dad made it everyone business when he publicly came out and said what would be acceptable and viewed as positive by him and his son. Not a single mention of what his son wanted for himself.

Would you really want Lavar Ball 2.0. Do you remember instances where Cal pandered to the needs, wants and demands of parents?

How do you know the dad is completely controlling it? That's your inference based on a piecemeal quote.

Reactions: Cats192
I wouldn't really say I am the one bothered by it. I just brought it up and get jumped all over by several people on here for even suggesting it. I just mentioned I don't think we will get too involved until KB himself reaches out and shows he is making his own decisions.

His dad made it everyone business when he publicly came out and said what would be acceptable and viewed as positive by him and his son. Not a single mention of what his son wanted for himself.

Would you really want Lavar Ball 2.0. Do you remember instances where Cal pandered to the needs, wants and demands of parents?

"His dad made it everyone business when he publicly came out and said what would be acceptable and viewed as positive by him and his son. Not a single mention of what his son wanted for himself."

So telling the media what would be viewed as positive by his son is not the same thing and telling them what his son wants for himself?

You seem to have problems with about everything.

@TheAnonymous13 knew about Lewis. I say he's probably hearing something substantial.

If he's right, it helps us contextual why UK didn't get the kid. If he's wrong, and KB ends up at UK, we all rejoice.

Either way, I don't see the problem with the guy sharing information.

Just to be clear- this is hardly over. He’ll go thru the draft process first- something which may help Cats chances, as it provides more time to make in-roads. I haven’t yet heard of visits.
But as of now, Florida and pro options are front running. And in that order.

I'm guessing the player himself is happy with his dad fielding a lot of the calls. Most young men look up to their fathers and look to them for guidance. The fact that his dad is helping him is nothing to be annoyed at or upset with.

It doesn't mean anything negative about the kid or his family.

A lot of kids probably have people go through their family.

I agree with @Son_Of_Saul that the narrative is being pre-formed. If he doesn't come here "Good! His dad was the next Lavar Ball!"

When in reality, his dad is a normal dad who wants what's best for his son.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I walked into this thread on page 13. I think I'll see myself out.....
tenor.gif

Reactions: runt#69 and Cats192

I can't speak specifically for the guy you're quoting, but I can assure you some will deflect the narrative if UK doesn't land Blackshear to something along these lines, "We didn't want a control freak dad around UK anyway."

We can't ever have an incident where UK failed to actually land the final piece to a title team. Can't have that. Nike paid Carey and Zion and Barrett; Penny manipulated Wiseman; friendship ties cost us Lewis, Bridges, etc.

If Blackshear goes elsewhere, the running narrative will be that it was because "Cal saw the warning signs and didn't want to poison the program by associating with Kerry's dad" or something close to that line of reasoning.

Reactions: CallMeACat35
How do you know the dad is completely controlling it? That's your inference based on a piecemeal quote.
Does not move me. Or move him. They can say, ‘You’re the missing piece for us,’ but are they the missing piece for him?” If Cats want him, need to outline a clear plan."
He simply emphasized that neither he nor his All-ACC son will faint at the sight of a UK logo. That they're approaching this decision very deliberately.

This is the quotes his dad gave. I didn't really peace meal them.

If you notice he always emphasizes himself first, not his son. That is very telling of who is in charge of this.
"His dad made it everyone business when he publicly came out and said what would be acceptable and viewed as positive by him and his son. Not a single mention of what his son wanted for himself."

So telling the media what would be viewed as positive by his son is not the same thing and telling them what his son wants for himself?
Why does it need to be viewed by positive to him at all if it's Kerry's ultimate decision? It's not his life, it's his 22 yo sons. He always mentions himself first and Kerry second. That literally proves who is the main concern in this.
I'm guessing the player himself is happy with his dad fielding a lot of the calls. Most young men look up to their fathers and look to them for guidance. The fact that his dad is helping him is nothing to be annoyed at or upset with.

It doesn't mean anything negative about the kid or his family.

A lot of kids probably have people go through their family.

I agree with @Son_Of_Saul that the narrative is being pre-formed. If he doesn't come here "Good! His dad was the next Lavar Ball!"

When in reality, his dad is a normal dad who wants what's best for his son.
I don't think nor have said they are a bad family. I just question his fathers statements and why so much is up to how his fathers views things. He always mentions Kerry second as if what he wants is an afterthought.

It's very odd to say the least.

I'm 46, if I ran into this scenario, I would get my family together and hash it out and discuss what my best option is. Know why? Because if done right, my immediate family will never work again.

At 22, you better believe I would have involved my father and I certainly wouldn't mind it if he took control. Life hasn't kicked your ass enough at 22 to handle something like this.

Hate on the kid all you want, but there is nothing wrong with Kerry's dad taking control here, for all you know, he could be some sort of coach or financial advisor.

Who has said anything about how his family should behave? I said he needs to be handling his own situation at 22 and not letting his daddy call the shots and say what will or wont be acceptable to him and his son. Do you really not understand the difference?

The funny part is when he gets told to go somewhere else by his dad, most of you will be here bitching about how these kids needs to make their own decisions and not be influenced by their parents. It's like clockwork.
You said:
"Who has said anything about how his family should behave?"

Then you said:

"He needs to be handling his own situation at 22 years old"

At this point, I stopped reading. Do you see the problem that the rest of us see?

I can't speak specifically for the guy you're quoting, but I can assure you some will deflect the narrative if UK doesn't land Blackshear to something along these lines, "We didn't want a control freak dad around UK anyway."

We can't ever have an incident where UK failed to actually land the final piece to a title team. Can't have that. Nike paid Carey and Zion and Barrett; Penny manipulated Wiseman; friendship ties cost us Lewis, Bridges, etc.

If Blackshear goes elsewhere, the running narrative will be that it was because "Cal saw the warning signs and didn't want to poison the program by associating with Kerry's dad" or something close to that line of reasoning.
We see plenty of warning sign with your posting.

You said:
"Who has said anything about how his family should behave?"

Then you said:

"He needs to be handling his own situation at 22 years old"

At this point, I stopped reading. Do you see the problem that the rest of us see?
Who has said he should not dsicuss with his family. I even encouraged it, but they shouldnt be handling the process and making the decision, talking to coaches and media. They certainly shouldn't be saying publicly what they will fine satisfactory. At 22 years old your family shouldnt be calling the shots unless you're too immature or lack the confidence. Which points to a problem if so.

Big difference between the 2. Do you not see the problem there?

I'm 46, if I ran into this scenario, I would get my family together and hash it out and discuss what my best option is. Know why? Because if done right, my immediate family will never work again.

At 22, you better believe I would have involved my father and I certainly wouldn't mind it if he took control. Life hasn't kicked your ass enough at 22 to handle something like this.

Hate on the kid all you want, but there is nothing wrong with Kerry's dad taking control here, for all you know, he could be some sort of coach or financial advisor.
As you should, but would you have you pops fill out your applications and field your interviews? Would you have him list the places you should work and that he feels are acceptable for you? Do you feel like you would have much success?

If you played for the NBA, would you want your dad calling up the coaches and front office telling them what is and isn't acceptable, impressive or is going to fly? How would you expect them to respond?

Who has said he should not dsicuss with his family. I even encouraged it, but they shouldnt be handling the process and making the decision, talking to coaches and media. They certainly shouldn't be saying publicly what they will fine satisfactory. At 22 years old your family shouldnt be calling the shots unless you're too immature or lack the confidence. Which points to a problem if so.

Big difference between the 2. Do you not see the problem there?

As you should, but would you have you pops fill out your applications and field your interviews? Would you have him list the places you should work and that he feels are acceptable for you? Do you feel like you would have much success?

If you played for the NBA, would you want you dad calling up the coaches and front office telling them what is and isn't acceptable, impressive or is going to fly? How would you expect them to respond?
Nothing to see here. Move on. Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

22 year olds in the NBA are represented by agents and managers. His dad is acting in a similar capacity at the college level. Not that hard to understand.
Agents are licensed with years of experience. They also work on behalf of the players and what they want. You don't hear agents say what will and won't be acceptable to them first and their players second. They always mention their players as the primary interest and decison maker.

KB's dad always mentions himself first and what he wants. Then Kerry comes second. That's very telling about who is handling things. If he was an NBA players and his dad was doing this, how do you think franchises would respond? How did the Lakers handle Lavar?

Can you think of other grad transfers handled this way?

Interesting how you change someone else's post to fit your narrative. Sorry you don't have the intelligence to carry on a discussion without changing someones reply. Wow.
It was your words and meaning. I just made it more upfront for you.

Don't go and melt away on me. I am having too much fun with you.

Agents are licensed with years of experience. They also work on behalf of the players and what they want. You don't hear agents say what will and won't be acceptable to them first and their players second. They always mention their players as the primary interest and decison maker.

KB's dad always mentions himself first and what he wants. Then Kerry comes second. That's very telling about who is handling things. If he was an NBA players and his dad was doing this, how do you think franchises would respond? How did the Lakers handle Lavar?

You sure are mad over nothing.

It was your words and meaning. I just made it more upfront for you.

Don't go and melt away on me. I am having too much fun with you.
You have been rustled. Easy to see when you have to start changing someone else's post. Nice try though.

Got your dander up because a dad wants to be involved with decisions his 22 year old kid makes. Wow.

Exactly. I don’t know what’s wrong with some people who think a 22 year old is. 40 year old. How many 22 year old college kids don’t have their parents helping or making big decisions for them especially when their dad is a former college and pro player so he knows exactly what he’s talking about.

The guy is in college with no business experience. If I’m 22 im going to my dad to help me make the best business decisión. Everyone of cals recruits with an active dad has their dad as a big piece of the decision making. Pj dad was a high school coach and Knox dad was very involved. This “pandering” remark is ridiculous. No one is Pandering

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT