ADVERTISEMENT

Vols are quietly putting together a nice class

Mar 4, 2006
Lately, I’ve been more in football mode and hadn’t been keeping up with basketball recruiting as much. I was glad to see we are ranked near the top with 2 already committed and 2 imminent commitments this week.

It appears our neighbors to the south are putting together a solid recruiting class. I was listening to a local sports talk show here in Knoxville today, and Jerry Meyer was a guest. They have already received commitments from Corey Walker (4 star) and Keon Johnson (5 star) and are a serious player for Jaden Springer (5 star). Jerry Meyer said he thought UT had a really good shot at landing him. He also said that Barnes is going to visit Paolo Banchero this week. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Springer end up in Knoxville, but Banchero is a stretch. If I’m not mistaken, haven’t we offered Banchero?

Reactions: ORCAT
You are right, we don’t normally go up against them in recruiting. I was making an observation. Barnes hasn’t recruited well since he became the coach. It appears that he is upping his game so to speak. That’s what winning and making the tournament will do for programs like UT.

Lately, I’ve been more in football mode and hadn’t been keeping up with basketball recruiting as much. I was glad to see we are ranked near the top with 2 already committed and 2 imminent commitments this week.

It appears our neighbors to the south are putting together a solid recruiting class. I was listening to a local sports talk show here in Knoxville today, and Jerry Meyer was a guest. They have already received commitments from Corey Walker (4 star) and Keon Johnson (5 star) and are a serious player for Jaden Springer (5 star). Jerry Meyer said he thought UT had a really good shot at landing him. He also said that Barnes is going to visit Paolo Banchero this week. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Springer end up in Knoxville, but Banchero is a stretch. If I’m not mistaken, haven’t we offered Banchero?

Thank you for sharing more power to the SEC Conference.

You are right, we don’t normally go up against them in recruiting. I was making an observation. Barnes hasn’t recruited well since he became the coach. It appears that he is upping his game so to speak. That’s what winning and making the tournament will do for programs like UT.

You know at Texas he recruited well, just couldn’t do anything with them at tournament time.

I am interested in how other schools in the SEC are doing in recruiting. Seems like a normal and natural thing to be if you are a fan of UK basketball Why all the negative stuff about recruiting info that concerns our league. Thanks, OP for passing the info along. Ignore those who are narrow minded

You know at Texas he recruited well, just couldn’t do anything with them at tournament time.
Barnes moving on certainly reinvigorated him it seems, while Texas has been underwhelming under Shaka, a coach a lot of people here thought would be a good successor to Cal.

I agree with you. I like to see other SEC schools recruit well. If Springer commits, and it looks likely at this point, UT will have a top ten class.

Rick Barnes put together some excellent classes at Texas. But Tennessee is the first place he has given the impression that he can be an elite in-game manager. I wonder how much of that was due to the talent and brilliance of Jordan Bone and Grant Williams, who are gone now.

Barnes has recruited well everywhere he has been. He will recruit better than his predecessors recruited at Tennessee. But he will not outrecruit Calipari. So he will always fight an uphill battle against us.

I do agree while I hate them if it is over for Christopher for real I wish we would have got involved with Springer. Very similar SG, size, talent, and ranking. He will probably be their best recruit though. I don't see them breaking past the 15th ranked player, but for them, it is a huge get.

I disagree none of these players are super outstanding players that they are recruiting. In another four or five years if these guys improve maybe they will be good. Tennessee probably won’t even be a top 25 team. The one team I never think of.

I. Could care less who that butt ugly orange wearing inbreds sign. To me that puke color would be enough for me to not even consider that place

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Disappointed. I thought it was going to be a joke. “How to attract your sister 101” or “Brush your teeth—both of them”.

You guys trying to dismiss or otherwise come to terms with Tennessee closing in on the #1 class in 2020 are hilarious. Corey Walker, Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer are a tremendous class. And adding Paulo Banchero is very realistic as well. And that's building off of another 5 star in the 2019 class.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
You guys trying to dismiss or otherwise come to terms with Tennessee closing in on the #1 class in 2020 are hilarious. Corey Walker, Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer are a tremendous class. And adding Paulo Banchero is very realistic as well. And that's building off of another 5 star in the 2019 class.

We just got a commit from a top 5 player today, I really don't think BBN is that concerned about UT recruiting.

Reactions: MbergCat and TM2013
Concerned? No. I think you want other consistent, elite SEC programs to emerge.
Lot of that depends on barnes. They have a nice class thus far but how long is his stay in knoxville? If you look at their offseason not to long. He had basically one foot out the door and will be looking again imho

Jeebus! EwwTee has 2 decent regulat seasons and now they're the team to beat in the SEC. Just like Florida was a few years ago. And Scar. And ATM. And Arky. And so on and do forth, but there is only 1 king, and you wanna be's know it. Oh! Forgot Vandy, and Misery, and Bama, and Auburn, and...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT