ADVERTISEMENT

Texas aTm Made a brilliant Hire in Elko!!!

Actually, Elko turned around a terrible program in a short amount time. He took a team with less resources to a 9 win season, much quicker than stoops did. As for recruiting, he helped recruit the greatest class (statistically) ever at TAMU and faces a difficult academic barrier at duke. So far, they have recognized solid 3 stars as you put it that are paying off early, but more importantly, he has talked several impactful portal transfers to come to duke. As for the 7 wins this season, this was only due to their QB being injured that back half of the season and his back ups being a true frosh and a redshirt frosh with no experience. He is viewed as a rising star in the coaching ranks, has former TAMU experience, has experience recruiting in TAMU's footprint and he has backing by the fans and boosters. I would say this was a great hire. It might not be as "sexy" as some may want or expect, but retreads are usually out of a job for a reason. Here they will get an up and coming coach, cheaper than they would a big name as they pay off their old coach. Seems smart to me. Many of the reactions on this board, proves most people really don't know much about what is going on in college football. Especially when you dismiss what Elko has accomplished at Duke. If his accomplishments aren't impressive, then you have to stay neither is stoops.
It was in the ACC bro , lol .

His prior coaching days at aTm means he had some insiders pushing him from the beginning of the search, just as Jon Sumrall will have when our next coaching search begins.

Makes one wonder who and how many were in his corner when the Stoops preliminary discussions leaked, and how much they orchestrated the “revolt.”

Seriously, any rational person (even if they dislike Stoops) would see Stoops checks more boxes than a 2 year wonder from the ACC.

I have no facts, just what I read on message boards. According to the ATM board terms had been agreed on with the Arizona coach last week and the announcement was going to be Early this week. But a minority on their athletic board want Stoops and wanted the AD to check for interest. I think those things probably happened, here is where stories differ. Word was leaked about Stoops, the majority of the athletic board was mad, all the fans were, the Arizona coach was butthurt and removed his name from consideration and then Stoops removed his name. Leaving ATM wiping egg off their face. Some here said it was embarrassing, and it was for ATM. I just don't get how it's embarrassing for UK. It's a business for CMS, a job, why wouldn't he check out new opportunities, almost everyone posting here would, there just wouldn't be 1000's posting about Joe at McDonalds going for an interview at Burger King.

His prior coaching days at aTm means he had some insiders pushing him from the beginning of the search, just as Jon Sumrall will have when our next coaching search begins.

Makes one wonder who and how many were in his corner when the Stoops preliminary discussions leaked, and how much they orchestrated the “revolt.”

Seriously, any rational person (even if they dislike Stoops) would see Stoops checks more boxes than a 2 year wonder from the ACC.
Supposedly he is who the players wanted also . Of course our players went to Mitch requesting him to hire Joker so………

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Let's make this clear, one thing led to ATM's recruiting class and Elko had zero yo do with it, $$ spoke loud and clear. As for that improvement Louisville shut them out, Clemson was their big win. But if you want to think he was their target that works too.
your point being? Money talks everywhere, recruiters still get credit. Yes, Louisville shut them out, with a hurt QB that didn't finish the game, also, Louisville is good, so is Clemson. Do you realize where he started? lol, you seriously aren't discrediting what he has done at Duke are you? if so you are proving what I said when I said many of our posters didn't really know much about college football. I never said he was a top target, but he absolutely was a target that was officially named. What I said was, he is viewed as up and coming in coaching ranks and he has done well at Duke. It might not be a flashy hire, but he has backing, he has momentum, he is cheaper and imo, it was a good hire and I stand by it. To each their own I guess, that's the art of the debate

It was in the ACC bro , lol .
and? This belief that the SEC is the only good football conference, quite frankly is irrational and ridiculous. Stoops came from the ACC. Do I agree that the Big Ten and SEC are the best overall conferences historically? Yes, I do and title wise the SEC definitely holds the advantage but the SEC is top heavy and always has been and there is a lot of good football played elsewhere. Including this season. People should watch more than just their favorite team and conference before they make broad generalizations. They are missing out on a lot of good football

your point being? Money talks everywhere, recruiters still get credit. Yes, Louisville shut them out, with a hurt QB that didn't finish the game, also, Louisville is good, so is Clemson. Do you realize where he started? lol, you seriously aren't discrediting what he has done at Duke are you? if so you are proving what I said when I said many of our posters didn't really know much about college football. I never said he was a top target, but he absolutely was a target that was officially named. What I said was, he is viewed as up and coming in coaching ranks and he has done well at Duke. It might not be a flashy hire, but he has backing, he has momentum, he is cheaper and imo, it was a good hire and I stand by it. To each their own I guess, that's the art of the debate

My point is Elko isn't and never has been an elite recruiter. You made it sound like kids flocked to him, they didn't. If he doesn't do something with the class they bought he will be another ex Aggie coach collecting a buyout. Really Clemson is good? Louisville is OK, with UK's schedule they are 6-6, Duke is closer to 4-8. They will regret this hire in 24.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
My point is Elko isn't and never has been an elite recruiter. You made it sound like kids flocked to him, they didn't. If he doesn't do something with the class they bought he will be another ex Aggie coach collecting a buyout. Really Clemson is good? Louisville is OK, with UK's schedule they are 6-6, Duke is closer to 4-8. They will regret this hire in 24.
No actually I didn't, I said he helped recruit the top class at TAMU, I never at any point said he was solely responsible for it. As for the rest, you are entitled to your opinion, fanhood is largely irrational and personal so it is what it is. I disagree, but that is irrelevant to Elko. As for the aggies, they may regret the hire, that is fair to say and only time will tell, but I'm honestly not sure why it bothers you so much either way.

Texas a&m pulled a Tennessee. I thought they were better than that.
The previous experience with the Aggies is the only thing that sticks out.

This college football thing is wild.

and? This belief that the SEC is the only good football conference, quite frankly is irrational and ridiculous. Stoops came from the ACC. Do I agree that the Big Ten and SEC are the best overall conferences historically? Yes, I do and title wise the SEC definitely holds the advantage but the SEC is top heavy and always has been and there is a lot of good football played elsewhere. Including this season. People should watch more than just their favorite team and conference before they make broad generalizations. They are missing out on a lot of good football
Just the fact that UL only lost 1 game in that putrid conference tells me all I need to know. They’re about equal to Florida this year. I don’t think they would be bowl eligible if they played Floridas schedule. I watch plenty of good football. Even some MAC games. But I never fool myself into thinking they could compete in the sec .

Just the fact that UL only lost 1 game in that putrid conference tells me all I need to know. They’re about equal to Florida this year. I don’t think they would be bowl eligible if they played Floridas schedule. I watch plenty of good football. Even some MAC games. But I never fool myself into thinking they could compete in the sec .
Louisville is absolutely better than Florida, I hate Louisville as much as any UK fan, but they have a good team and are better than Florida

Actually, Elko turned around a terrible program in a short amount time. He took a team with less resources to a 9 win season, much quicker than stoops did. As for recruiting, he helped recruit the greatest class (statistically) ever at TAMU and faces a difficult academic barrier at duke. So far, they have recognized solid 3 stars as you put it that are paying off early, but more importantly, he has talked several impactful portal transfers to come to duke. As for the 7 wins this season, this was only due to their QB being injured that back half of the season and his back ups being a true frosh and a redshirt frosh with no experience. He is viewed as a rising star in the coaching ranks, has former TAMU experience, has experience recruiting in TAMU's footprint and he has backing by the fans and boosters. I would say this was a great hire. It might not be as "sexy" as some may want or expect, but retreads are usually out of a job for a reason. Here they will get an up and coming coach, cheaper than they would a big name as they pay off their old coach. Seems smart to me. Many of the reactions on this board, proves most people really don't know much about what is going on in college football. Especially when you dismiss what Elko has accomplished at Duke. If his accomplishments aren't impressive, then you have to stay neither is stoops.
Put Duke in the SEC. Nuff said.

He got to 9 wins quicker because he played a weak schedule in a weak conference and avoided playing FSU and Clemson that season and he inherited a great QB. Fwiw, I agree with the rest of your post. Pretty spot on.

Louisville is absolutely better than Florida, I hate Louisville as much as any UK fan, but they have a good team and are better than Florida
I disagree. I’d say that Florida would have UL’s record if they played their schedule.

I’ve spent more than 15 minutes researching Elmo’s lengthy, two year head coaching career, and think that Rock, The Good Ag, May have made the coaching hire to satisfy their rebellious fans!!

Recruiting? Put a big check mark down for them! Sure, Elmo’s first Class ranked 52nd nationally at Duke, but his second jumped to 49th, bringing that average way up.

And given the brilliant timing of this hire, aTm might be able to cherry-pick the very best of Duke’s verbal commitments for 2024’s Class. There are some real solid Three Star talents to be lured from that football powerhouse of the ACC.

And improvement over time?

Heck yeah! He parleyed his first season with 9 wins into a 7 win campaign immediately thereafter!

The Aggies can celebrate the distinct possibility of doing some things even Elko has yet to achieve: a double-digit winning season, a Bowl on New Year’s Day, and a bowl opponent from a P5 conference!

And the Aggie fans avoided the embarrassment of hiring a Coach like Stoops from a “basketball school,” instead opting for a Coach from a traditional “football school,” in Duke!!
Another good take Hack! Keep doing what you do!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT