ADVERTISEMENT

Texas aTm Made a brilliant Hire in Elko!!!

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I’ve spent more than 15 minutes researching Elmo’s lengthy, two year head coaching career, and think that Rock, The Good Ag, May have made the coaching hire to satisfy their rebellious fans!!

Recruiting? Put a big check mark down for them! Sure, Elmo’s first Class ranked 52nd nationally at Duke, but his second jumped to 49th, bringing that average way up.

And given the brilliant timing of this hire, aTm might be able to cherry-pick the very best of Duke’s verbal commitments for 2024’s Class. There are some real solid Three Star talents to be lured from that football powerhouse of the ACC.

And improvement over time?

Heck yeah! He parleyed his first season with 9 wins into a 7 win campaign immediately thereafter!

The Aggies can celebrate the distinct possibility of doing some things even Elko has yet to achieve: a double-digit winning season, a Bowl on New Year’s Day, and a bowl opponent from a P5 conference!

And the Aggie fans avoided the embarrassment of hiring a Coach like Stoops from a “basketball school,” instead opting for a Coach from a traditional “football school,” in Duke!!

Last edited:
That contract is a head scratcher, need his agent with me to negotiate my next heifer purchase.
I think I want his agent to negotiate my heifer sales!!!!

I like to confuse my town friends with questions like, “what’s the difference between a Hereford and a heifer?”

Hell, most of them think any bovine with horns is a bull!!

Reactions: Hjack and bluecoon1
My wife’s from Jersey, bought some goats a while back and she wanted a young female and refused to look at any with horn growth.

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
When Lanning, Traylor, Fisch, Day, Stoops, all say no panic sets in and you hire an assistant of the coach you just paid 75m to fire.
Head scratcher man. People who keep pulling up his nine wins last year really need to take a look at their schedule, even this years schedule. I’d kill to play that slate

Great post….and you can see all the deceptions from media..or laziness

You just laid out easy facts to why this hire makes non sense. Dude didn’t recruit or even show a year over year improvement on field at Duke. Had the same record as Stoops 7-5 and lost badly to the same UL team stoops just beat

Incredible head scratcher

You just laid out easy facts to why this hire makes non sense. Dude didn’t recruit or even show a year over year improvement on field at Duke. Had the same record as Stoops 7-5 and lost badly to the same UL team stoops just beat

Yeah, like I get going from say Stoops to Dabo or Kiffen, but going to this guy makes no sense. I guess it's because he was their DC a few years back. The coaching search is such a crapshoot anymore.

He's 10 years younger than Stoops and recently coached at A& M, so I can see the hire

I’ve spent more than 15 minutes researching Elmo’s lengthy, two year head coaching career, and think that Rock, The Good Ag, May have made the coaching hire to satisfy their rebellious fans!!

Recruiting? Put a big check mark down for them! Sure, Elmo’s first Class ranked 52nd nationally at Duke, but his second jumped to 49th, bringing that average way up.

And given the brilliant timing of this hire, aTm might be able to cherry-pick the very best of Duke’s verbal commitments for 2024’s Class. There are some real solid Three Star talents to be lured from that football powerhouse of the ACC.

Heck yeah! He parleyed his first season with 9 wins into a 7 win campaign immediately thereafter!

The Aggies can celebrate the distinct possibility of doing some things even Elko has yet to achieve: a double-digit winning season, a Bowl on New Year’s Day, and a bowl opponent from a P5 conference!

And the Aggie fans avoided the embarrassment of hiring a Coach like Stoops from a “basketball school,” instead opting for a Coach from a traditional “football school,” in Duke!!
Duke beat Clemson when people thought Clemson was Clemson. Then, Clemson displayed that they were Florida in Clemson clothing. Then, he went to UL and … hhhmmmm … never mind.

• Haha
Elko's sucess at Duke comes with a GIGANTIC asterisk. He benefitted from inheriting a star QB he didn't recruit and was developed by Cutcliff. Riley Leonard was WAY above normal QB play in the ACC. Is Elko gonna get QB play at A&M at the upper end of the 16 team SEC? Doubt it.

This one was perfect! ✊

Elko's sucess at Duke comes with a GIGANTIC asterisk. He benefitted from inheriting a star QB he didn't recruit and was developed by Cutcliff. Riley Leonard was WAY above normal QB play in the ACC. Is Elko gonna get QB play at A&M at the upper end of the 16 team SEC? Doubt it.
Wow....that is interesting. And 9 wins in year 1 to 7 wins in year 2.....this smells like a fiasco in the making for Texas AM

Nothing about their decisions make any sense. You have endless money. Top two realistic targets are former assistants under the same guy you just paid 70+ mil to go away.

The only part that makes any sense is elko used to be an assistant at a&m. That's it.
Yeah again I keep saying to myself, how insulting can this get for Jimbo to know they really didnt care who they got to replace you they just wanted you gone and forked over $75 to do it!

Wow....that is interesting. And 9 wins in year 1 to 7 wins in year 2.....this smells like a fiasco in the making for Texas AM
Yeah, Bud Elliot made that point on hiis show. The danger of hiring a coach who is benefiting & winning at a lower level from great play at the most important position. How do they look with just average qb?

A&M hired Jimbo...national title winning coach! Yes, with Jamis Winston playing as the best qb in the country. What did Jimbo do without Winston?

He's 10 years younger than Stoops and recently coached at A& M, so I can see the hire

How do you justify spending 76m to fire a coach and hire one of his assistants? Jimbo was a big deal for a couple years in the ACC. He may be their answer but being an also ran in the ACC doesn't say big upgrade in the SEC. Let's not forget he was there when they were winning 7-8 games a year. He was the guy who would take it after the first 5 said no. I and ATM had rather have CMS.

Similar situation in my useless opinion to Mack Brown when he first left UNC. I don’t know if it will play out the same.

When Lanning, Traylor, Fisch, Day, Stoops, all say no panic sets in and you hire an assistant of the coach you just paid 75m to fire.

Indeed.

This was a classic desperation hire. They were denied by everyone else on their list as we all suspected from the get-go because they had the list of tier 1 premier play off caliber program.

They should have done exactly what Miss St did. Go hire a young OC who's got some cred putting up points. Kudos to the bulldogs for not being insane, but also for getting a real good coach who was going to be pinging on more radars and rising up more lists.

Aggies probably should've gone after the Oregon OC or DC.

I'm more shocked Elko took it. ACC is seemingly getting easier while the SEC just added Texas and Oklahoma. The expectations in this conference are nuts, and really not sure why in the modern day of most P5 programs being able to pay their coaches and staffs very well, anyone would want to come to the SEC.

If you can make 3,4,5 million a year at a Duke why go to a Texas A&M? You're going to win about 6-8 games either place. One fan base is going to constantly be on your ass, and eventually run you out, the other wont. Also, you at least have a little hope in the ACC that you can catch a UL type year here and there and walk to the conference title game if you have an offensive coach who can draw up the most basic of plays, and a QB who can tie his shoes and throw a forward pass.

Head scratcher man. People who keep pulling up his nine wins last year really need to take a look at their schedule, even this years schedule. I’d kill to play that slate
He probably will be another one hit wonder like so many others. 4 years will tell the story. Just look at how many one hit wonders Texas and Nebraska have hired.

Indeed.

This was a classic desperation hire. They were denied by everyone else on their list as we all suspected from the get-go because they had the list of tier 1 premier play off caliber program.

They should have done exactly what Miss St did. Go hire a young OC who's got some cred putting up points. Kudos to the bulldogs for not being insane, but also for getting a real good coach who was going to be pinging on more radars and rising up more lists.

Aggies probably should've gone after the Oregon OC or DC.

I'm more shocked Elko took it. ACC is seemingly getting easier while the SEC just added Texas and Oklahoma. The expectations in this conference are nuts, and really not sure why in the modern day of most P5 programs being able to pay their coaches and staffs very well, anyone would want to come to the SEC.

If you can make 3,4,5 million a year at a Duke why go to a Texas A&M? You're going to win about 6-8 games either place. One fan base is going to constantly be on your ass, and eventually run you out, the other wont. Also, you at least have a little hope in the ACC that you can catch a UL type year here and there and walk to the conference title game if you have an offensive coach who can draw up the most basic of plays, and a QB who can tie his shoes and throw a forward pass.

Every word of that is true. At Duke all that is expected is win a few games, get bowl eligible some years, only 2 deal killers, don't do anything to embarrass the school or get athletic program on probation. At ATM they are expecting championships. I guess the silver lining is it will cost less to fire him in 3-5 years than it did Jimbo.

Actually, Elko turned around a terrible program in a short amount time. He took a team with less resources to a 9 win season, much quicker than stoops did. As for recruiting, he helped recruit the greatest class (statistically) ever at TAMU and faces a difficult academic barrier at duke. So far, they have recognized solid 3 stars as you put it that are paying off early, but more importantly, he has talked several impactful portal transfers to come to duke. As for the 7 wins this season, this was only due to their QB being injured that back half of the season and his back ups being a true frosh and a redshirt frosh with no experience. He is viewed as a rising star in the coaching ranks, has former TAMU experience, has experience recruiting in TAMU's footprint and he has backing by the fans and boosters. I would say this was a great hire. It might not be as "sexy" as some may want or expect, but retreads are usually out of a job for a reason. Here they will get an up and coming coach, cheaper than they would a big name as they pay off their old coach. Seems smart to me. Many of the reactions on this board, proves most people really don't know much about what is going on in college football. Especially when you dismiss what Elko has accomplished at Duke. If his accomplishments aren't impressive, then you have to stay neither is stoops.

Doesn't hardly have to recruit with all the nil money down there. That is the new model

The biggest issue is that TAMU thinks they are a much better program than they really are. Consider that in the last 25 years:

- They have only won 10 or more games once
- They have only had 9 winning conference seasons
- They have finished the season ranked 6 times

They had a really good run in the mid 80's through the late 90's. They have been dog crap ever since. And they are dying to try and keep up with Texas.

Tex Am seems like a school that will be paying ridiculous buy out money for decades as they shuffle coaches in and out. Texas coming to the SEC will probably drive them mad.

Actually, Elko turned around a terrible program in a short amount time. He took a team with less resources to a 9 win season, much quicker than stoops did. As for recruiting, he helped recruit the greatest class (statistically) ever at TAMU and faces a difficult academic barrier at duke. So far, they have recognized solid 3 stars as you put it that are paying off early, but more importantly, he has talked several impactful portal transfers to come to duke. As for the 7 wins this season, this was only due to their QB being injured that back half of the season and his back ups being a true frosh and a redshirt frosh with no experience. He is viewed as a rising star in the coaching ranks, has former TAMU experience, has experience recruiting in TAMU's footprint and he has backing by the fans and boosters. I would say this was a great hire. It might not be as "sexy" as some may want or expect, but retreads are usually out of a job for a reason. Here they will get an up and coming coach, cheaper than they would a big name as they pay off their old coach. Seems smart to me. Many of the reactions on this board, proves most people really don't know much about what is going on in college football. Especially when you dismiss what Elko has accomplished at Duke. If his accomplishments aren't impressive, then you have to stay neither is stoops.

Let's make this clear, one thing led to ATM's recruiting class and Elko had zero yo do with it, $$ spoke loud and clear. As for that improvement Louisville shut them out, Clemson was their big win. But if you want to think he was their target that works too.

I feel this may a situation similar to UT when they threw a fit over the Greg Schiano and instead got Jeremy Pruitt. They were so eager to get rid of Pruit that they turned in NCAA violations so they could fire him without paying him anything.

As a side note Pruitt is now coaching middle school basketball and teaching PE at Plainview GA.

I feel this may a situation similar to UT when they threw a fit over the Greg Schiano and instead got Jeremy Pruitt. They were so eager to get rid of Pruit that they turned in NCAA violations so they could fire him without paying him anything.

As a side note Pruitt is now coaching middle school basketball and teaching PE at Plainview GA.

Really, I thought he was working with his dad in Alabama. He is at Painview Alabama. I live very near Plainview GA and it would have been big news.

Every word of that is true. At Duke all that is expected is win a few games, get bowl eligible some years, only 2 deal killers, don't do anything to embarrass the school or get athletic program on probation. At ATM they are expecting championships. I guess the silver lining is it will cost less to fire him in 3-5 years than it did Jimbo.

Don't mean to just pick on Aggies either...expectations of fans, boosters, brass conference wide have gotten out of control...except Vandy. I mean I'll say it, even this board and fan base are getting a bit holy for their collar...myself included. Missouri even, I mean Barry Odom was a Tiger lifer and good coach to boot...9-3 this year at UNLV. It seemingly worked out for all involved, but still, who in the hell does Missouri think they are?

I kid you not, if I'm a coach today I would seriously consider steering clear of most SEC jobs. Even the big ones where you had all the resources, money, name brand, access to top recruiting etc...

I mean Nick Saban doesn't even have enough good will and grace built up to lose to 1 ranked team a year. They wanted him to retire earlier this year.

Hate to say it...Clemson to start off next year is no pushover, Texas, Bama...even after a 3 peat, if Kirby loses 1, god forbid 2 of those...dawgs gon be on that ass like it's bacon.

That coaching search was an unmitigated disaster, considering the amount of money and resources involved.

You'd think they'd have had their man in the bag and a deal already worked out behind the scenes before they even made a move to let Jimbo go.

Elko is as good as toast in the first 2-3 seasons. Adding Texas and Oklahoma to the mix sure won't alleviate any of the pressure.

But if you want to think he was their target that works too.
His prior coaching days at aTm means he had some insiders pushing him from the beginning of the search, just as Jon Sumrall will have when our next coaching search begins.

Makes one wonder who and how many were in his corner when the Stoops preliminary discussions leaked, and how much they orchestrated the “revolt.”

Seriously, any rational person (even if they dislike Stoops) would see Stoops checks more boxes than a 2 year wonder from the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT