ADVERTISEMENT

Victor Wembanyama Bust

Do people truly think Larry Bird could play in the NBA today? I just don't see it.

Being a good teammate, playing for the front of the jersey, being unselfish, playing with a high motor, being a hardworker, being a scrappy gamer, having a high basketball IQ, being a lunch pail guy, being heady/cerebal, being a gym rat, and having good fundamentals will only get you so far in todays era of basketball.
Yes. Larry Bird wouldn't have been the scrawny guy he was in today's NBA. He'd be able to take advantage of the huge leap in nutrition and training that's taken place since the '80s and would still be able to shoot the lights out.

Reactions: JASUN74
Where is the revisionist history coming from that Bird was some dead eye shooter? He ranks solidly 178th in career 3 pt percentage, below such legendary sharp shooters as Marcus Morris, Nick Young, and Lee Mayberry.

Do people truly think Larry Bird could play in the NBA today? I just don't see it.

Being a good teammate, playing for the front of the jersey, being unselfish, playing with a high motor, being a hardworker, being a scrappy gamer, having a high basketball IQ, being a lunch pail guy, being heady/cerebal, being a gym rat, and having good fundamentals will only get you so far in todays era of basketball.
You left out a few things such as Bird being a brilliant shooter and a 6'9" small forward who averaged 10 rebounds per game for his career and THE best passer of all time and I could go on but the gist of this runon sentence is that you don't know what you are talking about.

Where is the revisionist history coming from that Bird was some dead eye shooter? He ranks solidly 178th in career 3 pt percentage, below such legendary sharp shooters as Marcus Morris, Nick Young, and Lee Mayberry.
He shot over 38% in 6 of his last 8 seasons. One of those two he played only six games and didn’t attempt a three. The season after that he only shot 33% and he was at over 40% in 5 of the last 8 seasons.

Reactions: deplion
This is a bad take IMHO. Players play how the game is called. If Jordan played in today's Era he would flop and bitch and moan louder than anybody because that's competitive edge to get the call today. Conversely, in an Era where you were allowed to bulldoze over people and defend like it was football, LeBron would have absolutely dominated the 90s as nobody would be able to stop him. Everyone makes it out like LeBron is some sissy man. No, they all whine and moan for calls because that's where the game is at today. 90s players in today's Era would do the same and current players playing in the 90s would have played and been more physical. It's how you're taught the game and when.
LeBron is a sissy man compared to players of that era. I don’t believe for one second Jordan would play like that. Not every star even plays like that today.

Bird wasn't really a 3 point shooter though. He shot some. I remember him driving a lot, making great passes and taking a lot of mid range jumpers.

Beat me to it. Bird was a midrange artist. He was basically a slightly shorter and skinnier Jokic. Outstanding, multi-faceted offensive player. And quite possibly the greatest trash talker of all time.

In a sub conversation related to Bird’s status as a shooter, yes.

I’d also point out that Bird developed his skills (in other words, during his high school and college years) before the advent of the three point shot. It simply wasn’t a priority for him. He averaged 19.3 FGA for his career and only 1.9 of those were 3PA. He also shot 89% from the line for his career.

Under 38 for his career. I look at the big picture.
Michael Jordan shot 32.7% on threes for his career. Was he a crappy shooter? How about Chris Webber,Patrick Ewing, Bernard King? All were automatic shooting from 17 feet. NBA coaches didn't consider three pointers to be as good shots then as compared to now so players didn't practice them as much; it doesn't mean that great shooters from inside the line wouldn't be great 3 point shooters now(since they'd practice them more).

LeBron is a sissy man compared to players of that era. I don’t believe for one second Jordan would play like that. Not every star even plays like that today.

I'm saying if LeBron was 30 years older and with his physical gifts, put into the NBA with his skill set he would have been a wrecking ball. Jordan coming out of college right now with his skill set would have learned how to flop and bitch for calls like everyone else. It's a plague in modern NBA and the reason everyone glorifies the 80s and 90s. You were allowed to BE physical, so the players adapted. Today, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so almost every big star from Harden to LeBron to Westbrook to Embeed to Tatum all complain to refs half the game because that's where the game went. Like how soccer is.

I repeat, you put LeBron coming out of Cleveland into his first NBA season on 1990 and we'd be talking about the human wrecking ball with a 45" vertical today with ridiculous praise. And for all the competitive drivers Jordan is known for, you can bet your sweet ass he'd have the biggest mouth if he was raised in today's game.

I'm saying if LeBron was 30 years older and with his physical gifts, put into the NBA with his skill set he would have been a wrecking ball. Jordan coming out of college right now with his skill set would have learned how to flop and bitch for calls like everyone else. It's a plague in modern NBA and the reason everyone glorifies the 80s and 90s. You were allowed to BE physical, so the players adapted. Today, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so almost every big star from Harden to LeBron to Westbrook to Embeed to Tatum all complain to refs half the game because that's where the game went. Like how soccer is.

I repeat, you put LeBron coming out of Cleveland into his first NBA season on 1990 and we'd be talking about the human wrecking ball with a 45" vertical today with ridiculous praise. And for all the competitive drivers Jordan is known for, you can bet your sweet ass he'd have the biggest mouth if he was raised in today's game.
Everyone knows LeBron would be an absolute star in any era. Also, Jordan complained to the refs more than anyone, it's hilarious when people whine about LeBron doing it in comparison to Jordan. They just feel their hero being threatened.

Michael Jordan shot 32.7% on threes for his career. Was he a crappy shooter? How about Chris Webber,Patrick Ewing, Bernard King? All were automatic shooting from 17 feet. NBA coaches didn't consider three pointers to be as good shots then as compared to now so players didn't practice them as much; it doesn't mean that great shooters from inside the line wouldn't be great 3 point shooters now(since they'd practice them more).
Jordan was a crappy 3 point shooter by today's standards. He would adjust to today's game, just like LeBron would adjust to yesterday's game.

You either are born with that competitive drive or you aren’t. LeBron relied on his gifts. Jordan relied on his mind and toughness. It is what it is. The two aren’t comparable mentally.

You either are born with that competitive drive or you aren’t. LeBron relied on his gifts. Jordan relied on his mind and toughness. It is what it is. The two aren’t comparable mentally.
Absolutely false. Jordan relied on his athletic abilities and couldn't win until he got stars with him just like LeBron. LeBron did more with less than Jordan did and you know it. Jordan would not take that Cavs team to the finals. The mental thing is such a weird scapegoat. Jordan also quit.

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
Are you serious?

He won the first three 3 pt shooting contests the NBA ever had. Then retired from it bc there was no challenge.

He was the most feared clutch shooter of his era. Then came the injuries and some guy named Jordan.

No way man! If LeBron was 30 years older he wouldn't star in any era; he'd be almost 70. Maybe 50 but not 70...

Absolutely false. Jordan relied on his athletic abilities and couldn't win until he got stars with him just like LeBron. LeBron did more with less than Jordan did and you know it. Jordan would not take that Cavs team to the finals. The mental thing is such a weird scapegoat. Jordan also quit.
Jordan’s father got murdered, don’t even try to compare that. Jordan also didn’t leave Chicago and go play with Robinson, Barkley, and Stockton. LeBron has left not once but 3 times to form super teams. The Bulls built their teams from the draft. Not even comparable. Not to mention LeBron couldn’t get it done until he played second fiddle to Wade. The only title he won with him as the main piece was in Cleveland the second time. If he elevated so many teams he should have even more titles.

Jordan’s father got murdered, don’t even try to compare that. Jordan also didn’t leave Chicago and go play with Robinson, Barkley, and Stockton. LeBron has left not once but 3 times to form super teams. The Bulls built their teams from the draft. Not even comparable. Not to mention LeBron couldn’t get it done until he played second fiddle to Wade. The only title he won with him as the main piece was in Cleveland the second time. If he elevated so many teams he should have even more titles.
LeBron doesn't know his father. Jordan got his father killed because he's a trash person. Many player's have their parents die and they don't quit for 2 years to suck it up in another sport. They drafted Rodman? Didn't know that. Thought he played for the Pistons? You know, the team that owned MJ. LeBron made it further than Jordan did with absolute trash as teammates. The dismissal of LeBron is childish and weird. How many titles does MJ have without Phil Jackson? How many times has MJ made it out of the first round without Pippen? MJ may be the GOAT but to dismiss LeBron is absolutely ridiculous. Dude is at worst the 2nd best player of all time and easily argued the best.

• Wow
Reactions: track42
LeBron doesn't know his father. Jordan got his father killed because he's a trash person. Many player's have their parents die and they don't quit for 2 years to suck it up in another sport. They drafted Rodman? Didn't know that. Thought he played for the Pistons? You know, the team that owned MJ. LeBron made it further than Jordan did with absolute trash as teammates. The dismissal of LeBron is childish and weird. How many titles does MJ have without Phil Jackson? How many times has MJ made it out of the first round without Pippen? MJ may be the GOAT but to dismiss LeBron is absolutely ridiculous. Dude is at worst the 2nd best player of all time and easily argued the best.
Your protection of LeBron is even weirder. You are legit mad about this, you know people have different opinions. I’m sorry that I triggered you so bad. Maybe he will see this thread so you all can be buddies 😂. Jordan got his father killed huh? That’s a new one. Jordan had 3 titles before Rodman. Also the fact remains the LeBron has 0 ships with those “trash” teammates. I can easily make an argument that LeBron is the 3rd greatest player at best.

Last edited:

This is spot on. Today’s player certainly is more about getting a foul called rather than driving to the basket hard.

The 80s/90s were brutal in the NBA. Today’s players wouldn’t survive in those times. Green would get his head torn off for his dumb antics.

This is a batshit unhinged sentence. It’s all I needed to see to know that the rest of your post is not worth reading.
It's okay to acknowledge his gambling issues and the consequences stemming from it.

It's okay to acknowledge his gambling issues and the consequences stemming from it.
There’s no credible evidence that his gambling had a damn thing to do with his father’s murder. That’s nothing but a crackpot conspiracy theory, and you make yourself look like an unhinged douche by stating it as if fact.

So do you also believe that 9/11 was an inside job, the Sandy Hook massacre was staged, and the Earth is flat? People have said those things too, so I guess they must be true.

Reactions: Fox2monk
There’s no credible evidence that his gambling had a damn thing to do with his father’s murder. That’s nothing but a crackpot conspiracy theory, and you make yourself look like an unhinged douche by stating it as if fact.

So do you also believe that 9/11 was an inside job, the Sandy Hook massacre was staged, and the Earth is flat? People have said those things too, so I guess they must be true.
Not at all, it's as reasonable as LeBron being a shill for the Chinese though.

Good lord. I came here to make fun of the OP for his “bust” post, but it’s turned into a Lebron/Jordan discussion?

Imagine being in that minority that thinks Lebron is better at basketball than MJ. Lebron is stronger…….that’s it. People that still cling to Lebron are either just contrarian a holes, or they never watched Jordan play.

Lebron truthers always ignore defense too. But, But, he had that chase down block one time. Dontaie Allen and Derek Willis had a couple chase down blocks too.

Good lord. I came here to make fun of the OP for his “bust” post, but it’s turned into a Lebron/Jordan discussion?
Jordan vs. LeBron is the most overdone beaten-to-death topic on basketball boards all over the world.

And it’s such a waste of time. Everybody always says the same damn things. Nobody ever changes anyone else’s mind. So what’s the point of continuing to that same debate over and over and over….

Reactions: CatTough
Are you serious?

He won the first three 3 pt shooting contests the NBA ever had. Then retired from it bc there was no challenge.

He was the most feared clutch shooter of his era. Then came the injuries and some guy named Jordan.
Are we lumping everyone who won a 3 point contest into the stratosphere of great shooters?

Craig Hodges should be getting more credit for Jordan’s rings if that’s the case.

40 and 20 last night for "the bust".
My only concern with guys like him and Holmgren was longevity. I never really doubted their ability to be high level players. But can they do it for 5+ years? What happens after that first significant injury? Their bodies just don’t scream longevity to me. And if you’re expected to be a generational type guy and you can’t stay healthy then you’re at least somewhat of a bust.

My only concern with guys like him and Holmgren was longevity. I never really doubted their ability to be high level players. But can they do it for 5+ years? What happens after that first significant injury? Their bodies just don’t scream longevity to me. And if you’re expected to be a generational type guy and you can’t stay healthy then you’re at least somewhat of a bust.

That's really the ONLY concern. Most of us here knew he'd be a force. But the 82 game season is tough on those lanky frames and big feet. I'll be amazed if it's year 6 and he's put there for 70 game seasons, playing like this.

Reactions: Lempface
He will be the best player in the world in 3 years, maybe less. Popovich sure has had some good fortune in drafts. Three top picks and they were 3 can’t miss Hall of famers.

Doncic, Jokic, Nowitzki and some others say hello. Bird would still be a great NBA player today for some of the very same reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT