ADVERTISEMENT

Vaught: Tom Payne reaching out to Calipari about talking to team

Really didn't know that he was still around. Great to see that he isn't jumping on the anti-Rupp bandwagon. Plus, he says exactly what I posted on another thread but much better: "Whether Rupp’s name should be removed, I don’t get into that because of something he supposedly did 70 years ago. I want to help heal and move forward, not look back.” So on target about judging people in the past based upon today's morality.

Really didn't know that he was still around. Great to see that he isn't jumping on the anti-Rupp bandwagon. Plus, he says exactly what I posted on another thread but much better: "Whether Rupp’s name should be removed, I don’t get into that because of something he supposedly did 70 years ago. I want to help heal and move forward, not look back.” So on target about judging people in the past based upon today's morality.
She said she was on her way home from a date on Valentines Day in Hollywood, Calif. in 1986 and just pulled into her garage when Payne threw a towel around her head and raped her.

"He put his hand underneath my chin and he started choking me and I kind of blacked out....”

Uh, no.

Reactions: KYJamm
She said she was on her way home from a date on Valentines Day in Hollywood, Calif. in 1986 and just pulled into her garage when Payne threw a towel around her head and raped her.

"He put his hand underneath my chin and he started choking me and I kind of blacked out....”

Uh, no.

sounds like a great inspirational message

Reactions: Nubb16 and KYJamm
Someone started a thread on here a few years ago about working in construction at the prison and meeting Payne, who was participating in a prisoner-run dog training program.

I guess I knew but had forgotten he was paroled. It’s hard to believe he got another opportunity.

Big NO. I agree I’m all for second chances, but I see no benefit by letting a convicted rapist talk to some basketball players. Wasn’t he on parole and raped again? Big No

Very Interesting, I want to hear what he has to say about Adolph Rupp
He appeared in the documentary by Dick Gabriel in 2005 (recorded in prison) and as I recall he was appreciative of Rupp for taking him on. Didn’t have anything bad to say. I didn’t know the story when I first watched the documentary and was pretty slack jawed when I heard it.

I’m all for second chances as well. IMO, though, rapists don’t deserve a second chance. Their victim(s) don’t get the opportunity at a second chance, that’s for damn sure. So, why should rapists deserve one? A rapist is the worst form of life IMO.

Payne has already had multiple chances and screwed them up over and over again. He is scum who has no place in our society.

There is zero chance Cal would ever do something as stupid as letting Payne talk to the team.

Nowhere and I mean nowhere do I see anyone defending a rapist if that is all you see, that is a you problem, it is about him speaking, Larry Vaught and Mike Pratt agree and so do I, I would like to hear what he has to say, especially about Adolph Rupp since there is such an issue about him being a racist. I do not have a rapist in my day, nor do I have a person who judges people openly. I am the son of a minister and I am taught they are equally as bad.

Nowhere and I mean nowhere do I see anyone defending a rapist if that is all you see, that is a you problem, it is about him speaking, Larry Vaught and Mike Pratt agree and so do I, I would like to hear what he has to say, especially about Adolph Rupp since there is such an issue about him being a racist. I do not have a rapist in my day, nor do I have a person who judges people openly. I am the son of a minister and I am taught they are equally as bad.
Meh. I’m just simply calling it like I see it. Anyone that would rape a woman is a POS, point blank period. If you consider that judging someone then I guess that’s what it is.

I played some pick up games with Tom Payne at Woodland Park in Lexington in the summer of 1969 after he signed with UK. Freshman weren’t eligible to play back then. Of course, he had little to no competition because there was no one his size. He was an intimidating physical presence but was a good dude otherwise. I was shocked and saddened to later learn of his rape convictions. Many years later, while I was visiting a client in prison, I saw Tom in the prison yard. He had clearly been working out with a lot of weights and built himself up way beyond what he was as an incoming freshman at UK.

I support letting Tom speak but Cal should vet him first to see what he has to say. Then, let the players meet him and understand what can happen if you go off the rails.

Meh. I’m just simply calling it like I see it. Anyone that would rape a woman is a POS, point blank period. If you consider that judging someone then I guess that’s what it is.
Raped a woman in Georgia.
Raped a woman in KY.
Raped a woman in Cali.

Is Jeffrey Dahmer still around? He could speak to the team about proper nutrition.

Last edited:
I’m all for second chances as well. IMO, though, rapists don’t deserve a second chance. Their victim(s) don’t get the opportunity at a second chance, that’s for damn sure. So, why should rapists deserve one? A rapist is the worst form of life IMO.

Yea their victims don't get a second chance at a clear mind not radically savaged by some low life

Lots of people think this is a bad idea. You can invite him to your church if you disagree.

From one pastor's son to another, a rapist is worse. They are def not equally as bad.

Honest question, would you be interested in what Payne said about Rupp if he wanted the name changed? Or is it because he happens to agree with your stance? He is a serial rapist. In no way should he be allowed to talk to the team. I know you are not defending his rapes but he clearly should be kept away from the program IMO

I didn't see anyone defending a rapist. Where is that conclusion because HE wants to speak to the team? What I and some others were saying only focused on his comment on Rupp (not removing the name). I am re-reading and must be missing the part where anyone said it's a great idea to have him meet the team?

Raped a woman in Georgia.
Raped a woman in KY.
Raped a woman in Cali.

Is Jeffrey Dahmer still around? He could speak to the team about proper nutrition.
Yeah....three times convicted....that is some bad stuff there.

I'm all for letting the African American Dept get his opinion of how Rupp treated him and his perspective as the first black player at UK as they gather evidence to make their recommendation (similar to what Dick Gabriel did in his interview for his documentary)......but I'm not sure the team needs to hear from him and have input in that manner.

And to be fair....Tom Payne is on video saying Rupp was not a racist. He even went so far as to say he checked on Payne after he left UK and ran into trouble. So really, he's given his view unless he wants to alter it.

I played some pick up games with Tom Payne at Woodland Park in Lexington in the summer of 1969 after he signed with UK. Freshman weren’t eligible to play back then. Of course, he had little to no competition because there was no one his size. He was an intimidating physical presence but was a good dude otherwise. I was shocked and saddened to later learn of his rape convictions. Many years later, while I was visiting a client in prison, I saw Tom in the prison yard. He had clearly been working out with a lot of weights and built himself up way beyond what he was as an incoming freshman at UK.

I support letting Tom speak but Cal should vet him first to see what he has to say. Then, let the players meet him and understand what can happen if you go off the rails.
Payne is a tragic figure. Seemed to be a good buy off the court but was definitely a "Jekyl and Hyde" character. The best thing for him to do is stay as far away from the program as possible. I can't imagine the negative press that would come from all of that. As a few have stated, he had multiple chances but literally threw his life away.

This is a very interesting thread.
The majority here (self included) do not want a name change for many valid reasons
The main reason for me is that Rupp was not a racist; and I think today’s players and media may only be hearing and perpetuating the wrong (myth) side of his history.
One of the people that could set this record straight is a black man who played for the falsely accused (Rupp); but he is also a three time convicted rapist.
One crazy story...
So, the question is...if it came down to Payne “saving” the Rupp Arena name... would it be worth it?
Not really a question to answer but to ponder and reflect...

It is possible to not judge someone and also not trust him. If Tom got himself right, then that’s great. I still wouldn’t let him date my daughter and I’d rather find a different ambassador for the Kentucky team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT