ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Payne

Jan 23, 2018
i would like to announce in advance, that I’m a Louisville fan, so please don’t hold this against me. I am not here to flame or talk down to anyone. I was just truly fascinated by this entire ordeal.

I just wanted to share this story because I thought it was interesting. I work for a large building management company. Recently, I went to Kentucky State Reformatory to bid a job for the state of Kentucky.

While there, I learned that they are taking KSR and reducing it to a mental health facility instead of it being a full fledge prison. So, the prison will go from 2300 inmates down to 900. It will become a mental health facility in Oldham County opposed to a full fledge prison.

I was a part of a walkthrough there to bid the job. While walking the job, I walked with the warden of the prison. He was giving me multiple insights of the inmates and the daily function of the prison.

While we were walking through building five, I noticed there were dogs in the facility. I asked an obvious question about why there are dogs in the facility. Apparently, the inmates take dogs that are on the streets and rehabilitate them to be adopted into the general public. Which I thought was a great program.

To be honest, I thought that was a really cool program. As we were talking, a very large older man walked passed me and the warden. He was walking a very thin Great Dane. He stopped and talk to everyone including me. He was very polite and I asked the warden, who he was.

His name was Tom Payne. Apparently, and this was according to the warden. He was the first African American to play for Adolf Rupp. He was from Louisville according to the warden. He was about 7 feet tall. He was apparently an amazing basketball player for the University of Kentucky. His crimes were egregious. I agree whole heartedly. He was extremely polite to me upon meeting him and his story was truly fascinating.

He was an all American for UK, went on to a pro career and just had some real personal demons that included rape of young women. I am not here to celebrate the mans life, but I was truly enthralled by the story. I read in depth about it when I left. He was a very nice person when he introduced himself. I know, that means nothing. The man is still what he is, but I’ve been a follower of both programs my entire life. Some of this story could be incorrect, because I was literally getting it from the warden of the prison. I looked up his pro career and the story some what checked out.

It’s just a sad story of what could have been. You can tell to this day, the man was all basketball. His presence was overwhelming. I may be to young to recognize the story, but I was just mesmerized by it. It’s sad and horrible at the same time. When I tell my UofL friends about it, they don’t care. So, I was just curious if the older Cat fans remember him.

It’s seriously not like that. UofL has its own demons. Trust me. I’m not trying to bring you to our level. I just thought it was something that “normal” people would find interesting as well. The guy is from the city I live in. So, it’s not a UofK vs. UofL thing.

There was a show on KET or some other KY TV channel that had TP on there. Sad story really but he loved Coach Rupp...at least that is what I got out of the show.

He was interviewed for that Rupp documentary some of his players put together to defend his reputation before Glory Road was released. He had nothing but ice things to say about Rupp and owned up to his predicament being his own fault.

I certainly remember Payne and often wondered if he was still in prison or had served his time and got on with his life. Hate to hear he's still in, but I appreciate you taking the time to tell your story to us. You seem like a caring human being...come on over to the good side and be a UK fan.

There was a show on KET or some other KY TV channel that had TP on there. Sad story really but he loved Coach Rupp...at least that is what I got out of the show.

I would actually like to watch that. He was very personable and insightful. I only had a few minutes to talk to him, but I would have talked to him for hours if I could have.

i would like to announce in advance, that I’m a Louisville fan, so please don’t hold this against me. I am not here to flame or talk down to anyone. I was just truly fascinated by this entire ordeal.

I just wanted to share this story because I thought it was interesting. I work for a large building management company. Recently, I went to Kentucky State Reformatory to bid a job for the state of Kentucky.

While there, I learned that they are taking KSR and reducing it to a mental health facility instead of it being a full fledge prison. So, the prison will go from 2300 inmates down to 900. It will become a mental health facility in Oldham County opposed to a full fledge prison.

I was a part of a walkthrough there to bid the job. While walking the job, I walked with the warden of the prison. He was giving me multiple insights of the inmates and the daily function of the prison.

While we were walking through building five, I noticed there were dogs in the facility. I asked an obvious question about why there are dogs in the facility. Apparently, the inmates take dogs that are on the streets and rehabilitate them to be adopted into the general public. Which I thought was a great program.

To be honest, I thought that was a really cool program. As we were talking, a very large older man walked passed me and the warden. He was walking a very thin Great Dane. He stopped and talk to everyone including me. He was very polite and I asked the warden, who he was.

His name was Tom Payne. Apparently, and this was according to the warden. He was the first African American to play for Adolf Rupp. He was from Louisville according to the warden. He was about 7 feet tall. He was apparently an amazing basketball player for the University of Kentucky. His crimes were egregious. I agree whole heartedly. He was extremely polite to me upon meeting him and his story was truly fascinating.

He was an all American for UK, went on to a pro career and just had some real personal demons that included rape of young women. I am not here to celebrate the mans life, but I was truly enthralled by the story. I read in depth about it when I left. He was a very nice person when he introduced himself. I know, that means nothing. The man is still what he is, but I’ve been a follower of both programs my entire life. Some of this story could be incorrect, because I was literally getting it from the warden of the prison. I looked up his pro career and the story some what checked out.

It’s just a sad story of what could have been. You can tell to this day, the man was all basketball. His presence was overwhelming. I may be to young to recognize the story, but I was just mesmerized by it. It’s sad and horrible at the same time. When I tell my UofL friends about it, they don’t care. So, I was just curious if the older Cat fans remember him.
Met him at Morehead State University in 1969. He was at the 16th Region tournament. Seven foot was rare in those days.

I certainly remember Payne and often wondered if he was still in prison or had served his time and got on with his life. Hate to hear he's still in, but I appreciate you taking the time to tell your story to us. You seem like a caring human being...come on over to the good side and be a UK fan.
He's serving a life sentence for rape, but is eligible for parole again next year. I wouldn't get too optimistic, if I were him.

I hope the Great Dane gains weight, and finds a new permanent family.
The dog didn't commit a crime, so I'm happy with what they're doing.

That’s an interesting story. What were his crimes exactly?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Payne_(basketball)

Payne's promising career ended suddenly in May 1972, when police in Georgia arrested him after investigating several rapes in the Atlanta area. Later, he was indicted in Kentucky in connection with one rape and two attempted rapes. In 1972, he was convicted on two counts of rape and one count of aggravated sodomy in Atlanta. He served five years in prison in Georgia, two and a half of those in solitary confinement for participating in a prison riot.

Immediately after his release from prison in Georgia, Payne was extradited to Kentucky, where he was convicted on one count of rape and two counts of attempted rape. He served five years in prison in Kentucky before being paroled in 1983. After his release from prison, he attempted a basketball comeback with the Louisville Catbirds of the CBA. He also made an attempt at a professional boxing career, participating in five bouts. Later, he moved to Hollywood and became an actor, once appearing in Night Court, as well as a McDonald's commercial.

On Valentine's Day, 1986, police officers in Los Angeles, California caught Payne in the act of raping a woman. He was convicted of this crime, which also violated his parole in Kentucky.

Payne was released from prison in 2000 after getting his sentenced reduced. He was then transferred back to Kentucky, where he faced an
additional 15 years in prison for violation of parole from the 1971 charge.

I get that a lot from my UK fan buddies. Young and old. They always tell me blue would look good on me. I’m by no stretch of the imagination a hater of the program. I’ve spent a lot of time on your campus.

I actually read in depth about his appeal process. The warden even told me that there were people on the street that deserved to be in prison and he was regularly denied even though he was a model citizen in KSR. It really was just sad. You hate to see a 70 year old that’s most likely rehabilitated still in prison because he doesn’t fit a certain mold. I just didn’t know if there was a story I couldn’t find.

It’s truly a fascinating story. I sympathize with the young women he effected. You could tell after 30 years in prison, he was a very remorseful man.

Reactions: chroix

Payne's promising career ended suddenly in May 1972, when police in Georgia arrested him after investigating several rapes in the Atlanta area. Later, he was indicted in Kentucky in connection with one rape and two attempted rapes. In 1972, he was convicted on two counts of rape and one count of aggravated sodomy in Atlanta. He served five years in prison in Georgia, two and a half of those in solitary confinement for participating in a prison riot.

Immediately after his release from prison in Georgia, Payne was extradited to Kentucky, where he was convicted on one count of rape and two counts of attempted rape. He served five years in prison in Kentucky before being paroled in 1983. After his release from prison, he attempted a basketball comeback with the Louisville Catbirds of the CBA. He also made an attempt at a professional boxing career, participating in five bouts. Later, he moved to Hollywood and became an actor, once appearing in Night Court, as well as a McDonald's commercial.

On Valentine's Day, 1986, police officers in Los Angeles, California caught Payne in the act of raping a woman. He was convicted of this crime, which also violated his parole in Kentucky.

Payne was released from prison in 2000 after getting his sentenced reduced. He was then transferred back to Kentucky, where he faced an

Maybe I do not feel as bad for him.

I'm sure he was nice to you. Psychopaths usually are very good at making people like them.

Release that man from prison and there will be another victim. His record shows a lack of impulse control over his desires. You can't rehabilitate that with a pat on the back and old yeller.

I'm sure he was nice to you. Psychopaths usually are very good at making people like them.

Release that man from prison and there will be another victim. His record shows a lack of impulse control over his desires. You can't rehabilitate that with a pat on the back and old yeller.

I agree with you. I didn’t take the time to look up the wiki of him. Which is stupid. I just looked up old stories about him.

Freshmen were not eligible back when Payne came to UK, so his varsity year, was his sophomore year. That was 1970 and it was also my freshman year, and I remember him well. He was pretty skilled and was getting better. Had he been able to control himself, he probably would have been in the league for years.

Freshmen were not eligible back when Payne came to UK, so his varsity year, was his sophomore year. That was 1970 and it was also my freshman year, and I remember him well. He was pretty skilled and was getting better. Had he been able to control himself, he probably would have been in the league for years.

That’s the kind of insight I came here for. It’s pretty fascinating and you can only ask people who would have been in your situation.

That’s the kind of insight I came here for. It’s pretty fascinating and you can only ask people who would have been in your situation.

He played for Shawnee, and there was a guy on my dorm team, in the intramural league, and he played with Payne, when Payne was a Sr. and he was a Jr. He was the only white player on Shawnee's team, that year. He liked Payne, and never spoke of any issues, but, apparently Payne grew up under some pretty tough circumstances.

Interesting to read that. Sounded familiar because while some of the words have been moved around, the entire section was based on something I wrote on Payne on my Rupp webpage over 20 years ago.

Link to Payne Entry #1 on Rupp Page

Link to Payne Entry #2 on Rupp Page

also the link to the transcript of the Documentary where Payne was interviewed is below:

Adolph Rupp: Myth, Legend and Fact

I get that a lot from my UK fan buddies. Young and old. They always tell me blue would look good on me. I’m by no stretch of the imagination a hater of the program. I’ve spent a lot of time on your campus.

I actually read in depth about his appeal process. The warden even told me that there were people on the street that deserved to be in prison and he was regularly denied even though he was a model citizen in KSR. It really was just sad. You hate to see a 70 year old that’s most likely rehabilitated still in prison because he doesn’t fit a certain mold. I just didn’t know if there was a story I couldn’t find.

It’s truly a fascinating story. I sympathize with the young women he effected. You could tell after 30 years in prison, he was a very remorseful man.
would you be comfortable with him alone with your 16 year old daughter? Serious question. UK or no, rapists, and molesters should have their genitals cut the f off. I have no sympathy especially because it was MULTIPLE times.
No, you wouldn't feel comfortable unless something is wrong with you. We all make mistakes, but crimes like that given it was multiple times means he is sick, and will never stop if he was out.

He played for Shawnee, and there was a guy on my dorm team, in the intramural league, and he played with Payne, when Payne was a Sr. and he was a Jr. He was the only white player on Shawnee's team, that year. He liked Payne, and never spoke of any issues, but, apparently Payne grew up under some pretty tough circumstances.

I was a UK freshman in 69 before flunking out and getting drafted into the Army. During the summer of 1969 before Tom enrolled at UK I played basketball with him at Woodland Park in Lexington. Of course, he dominated the play but he got along well with everybody.

His father was career military and his mother was a teacher in Louisville. He did not get along with some of the UK players, particularly Mike Casey. Payne had some games at UK where he dominated. Other games he was a non factor. However, back then the talent level in the SEC was not what it is today. There were very few black players and some SEC teams were still all white. Ironically, I next saw him while I was visiting a client in Eddyville State Penitentisry. He obviously had been lifting weights because he looked like a body builder.

Tom clearly had many sides to his personality. He could be a nice guy to some people but a serial sexual predator to women. I would be surprised if he were ever released. He has been in and out of prison several times for rape. Based on his history he would be a high risk for commiting additional sexual offenses.

Reactions: awf
Guy had his chances and proved to be a criminal - for what he did I hope he rots in prison

I hope the Great Dane gains weight, and finds a new permanent family.
The dog didn't commit a crime, so I'm happy with what they're doing.
Death Row Dogs is a great program. They work with them, train them, all that. When my Papaw passed away a few years ago, my mamaw was so down and alone. A few months after he passed, she got talked into adopting a death row dog. That dog changed her life, they are best friends. So that program will always be special to me because it helped her so much.

Tom was my teammate He made ALL SEC but not All American and he made mistakes that he has spent his life repaying by the way is Adolph not Adolf Rupp

I actually interviewed this guy in prison at Lagrange in 1982. He had the largest hands I have ever seen. He was all victimized like, so was his family as I interviewed his mom.
Then he got out of prison and went to LA to end up on another rape charge. He is scum.

He said all the right things the first time he was released...

He beat the "I was wrongly convicted and am innocent" drum leading up to his parole, and then he went out and raped again!

I was very intrigued by him and actually was pulling for him when he was released in the 80's.

At this point, he'd need to be castrated before I'd even consider him being released again if it were up to me.

By all accounts, he's a friendly guy, but he IS a sexual predator.

Reactions: UKvisitor
I remember playing against him when he was at Eddyville in the pen, a bunch of us guys would go and play some prison teams inside the yard at Eddyville. One thing that I noticed was that when an outside team came in to play the inmates, the crowd was for us which I thought was funny.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
I remember Payne well. And, we were very excited that Rupp was integrating the basketball team. Unfortunately, Payne, although a very good player, was definitely not a Jackie Robinson. Many people actually used him as an example of why UK should NOT recruit black players. It was sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT