ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Thats the issue with Qatar and the current embargo.... They cant get food, much like building supplies for the stadiums.... It also baffles me how its going to work having a World Cup in the middle of December and the middle of Club seasons...

Thats the issue with Qatar and the current embargo.... They cant get food, much like building supplies for the stadiums.... It also baffles me how its going to work having a World Cup in the middle of December and the middle of Club seasons...
Of course it made no sense... they were all bribed. It's absurd. But FIFA rarely if ever admits a mistake. If they move from Qatar they will have to admit a mistake.

And the embargo? Germany is already getting them supplies.

Wonder Why and how BVB can continue to be so good with so many good young players? 2016 - buy dembele for $10,000,000. 2017 - Sell dembele for $130,000,000. I'm sure they will go purchase 3 more really good young players with that $$$.

Dembele is good, but he's not $130,000,000 good.

Wonder Why and how BVB can continue to be so good with so many good young players? 2016 - buy dembele for $10,000,000. 2017 - Sell dembele for $130,000,000. I'm sure they will go purchase 3 more really good young players with that $$$.

Dembele is good, but he's not $130,000,000 good.

I think Dembele is very very good. He just turned 20 and in his 1st year at BVB he had 10 goals and 20 assists. I think Dembele is the new Ribery. To me Dembele is more valuable than Coutinho.

FC Cincinnati sold out in just a few hours the Open Cup semis vs. Red Bulls. They're trying to figure out how to get more fans in to break the tournament record. Should be an amazing atmosphere there.

If San Jose beats SKC and FCC win, the championship game would be at Nippert, which is just crazy.

USMNT up to 26th in recent Fifa Rankings... Brazil back to #1:

1) Brazil
2) Germany
3) Argentina
4) Switzerland
5) Poland
6) Portugal
7) Chile
8) Colombia
9) Belgium
10) France
11) Spain
12) Italy
13) England
14) Mexico
15) Peru
16) Croatia
17) Uruguay
18) Wales
19) Sweden
20) Iceland
21) Costa Rica
22) Slovakia
23) Northern Ireland
24) Iran
25) Egypt
26) USA

Couple of things: First, Its asinine that its very likely that both Switzerland and Poland get seeded. No way you can convince me that they are better than the likes of Belgium, Colombia, Chile, France, Spain...

Also, you got a lot of teams that are WAY overrated - Argentina (based on form), Switzerland, Poland, Portugal, England.

Teams underrated - IMO USA, Egypt, Croatia, Spain,

Spain is a dangerous team at 11. If Spain beats Italy and wins their group they'll likely finish right where they are. If the seeded teams stay as follows, that'd put Spain with Poland or Switzerland's possible pot, which would bode very well for them. No one is really talking about Spain but with the emerging youth of guys like Dani Ceballos, Saul, Asencio, Isco, Morata, Castillejo among others will make them a very intriguing team to watch.... and they wont have the pressure on them.

I think Dembele is very very good. He just turned 20 and in his 1st year at BVB he had 10 goals and 20 assists. I think Dembele is the new Ribery. To me Dembele is more valuable than Coutinho.

Absolutely... But Suarez and Messi may want another south american up top with them?

USMNT up to 26th in recent Fifa Rankings... Brazil back to #1:

1) Brazil
2) Germany
3) Argentina
4) Switzerland
5) Poland
6) Portugal
7) Chile
8) Colombia
9) Belgium
10) France
11) Spain
12) Italy
13) England
14) Mexico
15) Peru
16) Croatia
17) Uruguay
18) Wales
19) Sweden
20) Iceland
21) Costa Rica
22) Slovakia
23) Northern Ireland
24) Iran
25) Egypt
26) USA

Couple of things: First, Its asinine that its very likely that both Switzerland and Poland get seeded. No way you can convince me that they are better than the likes of Belgium, Colombia, Chile, France, Spain...

Also, you got a lot of teams that are WAY overrated - Argentina (based on form), Switzerland, Poland, Portugal, England.

Teams underrated - IMO USA, Egypt, Croatia, Spain,

Spain is a dangerous team at 11. If Spain beats Italy and wins their group they'll likely finish right where they are. If the seeded teams stay as follows, that'd put Spain with Poland or Switzerland's possible pot, which would bode very well for them. No one is really talking about Spain but with the emerging youth of guys like Dani Ceballos, Saul, Asencio, Isco, Morata, Castillejo among others will make them a very intriguing team to watch.... and they wont have the pressure on them.

The rankings are absurd... Again, Concacaf needs to adopt the marathon style of qualifying with every team in concacaf like Europe does so our teams can play more "official" fifa matches and get more points. Europe's new setup basically gets rid of friendlies for the european teams, so the only friendlies we will get will be against asian, south american, or concacaf teams. Scrap the current system and go with something else.

And how in the hell does Germnay win the confed cup and drop? SMH

Germany fell because they had multiple big point wins lapse the year mark. It depreciates the points from those wins.

Germany fell because they had multiple big point wins lapse the year mark. It depreciates the points from those wins.

I understand, which proves my point on why it's absurd. It takes games from 2 + years ago into account. That's stupid.

I was wondering the other day, the 2019 Copa America is in Brazil and will be 16 teams. 6 will be invited...surely the US will be invited as the Gold Cup title holders right? That might be really fun to go to.

Maybe it's the American in me, but I can't be the only one thinking there's a significant disparity between France's ranking and their talent.

Maybe it's the American in me, but I can't be the only one thinking there's a significant disparity between France's ranking and their talent.

I love France's talent ---- I dont think their coach is the right guy.... Didier Deschamps. This is the issue you get into when you have tons of talent--- it then becomes about Cohesiveness and fitting the pieces together right. Just look at Brazil, no one would have put Renato Augusto, Paulinho, Miranda and Marquinhos in the starting 11 with guys like Douglas Costa, Oscar, Willian, Thiago Silva and David Luiz on the bench.... but that group has won 8 straight WCQ'ers in a row.

France IMO just hasnt put the right pieces together, including the coach...IMO. I think the closest they were was the friendly against England, If I was their coach Id go with this:

Benzema (get over the beef and just play him)
Mbappe, Griezmann, Dembele
Pogba, Kante
Mendy/Kurzawa, Umtiti, Varane, Sidibe
Lloris

FC Cincy's US Open Cup run finally ended last night to Red Bulls. Up 2-0 in the 74th minute they just couldn't hang on. 33k+ and a sell out.

Now they have to fight for the playoffs. MLS commissioner Garber and US Soccer president both in attendance. An amazing atmosphere had to help their expansion cause.

Detroit and Nashville both making big moves however.

FC Cincy's US Open Cup run finally ended last night to Red Bulls. Up 2-0 in the 74th minute they just couldn't hang on. 33k+ and a sell out.

Now they have to fight for the playoffs. MLS commissioner Garber and US Soccer president both in attendance. An amazing atmosphere had to help their expansion cause.

Detroit and Nashville both making big moves however.

Stadium deal is all cincy needs. Clearly has a great soccer following.

Nashville all but has their stadium deal finalized. They have the site chosen and it's already owned by the city.

After the MLS saw Nippert in action vs MLS teams and after comments from the Chicago Fire and NY Red Bulls brass about how great the atmosphere was and how they don't have that same atmosphere currently in the MLS, there is some talk that Nippert could be viable.

And these clowns want a brand new stadium?? When their current stadium has been described as "the best atmosphere I've ever seen!!" by MLS clubs?

If they want a mls team and want to be able to make enough money to support a mls team
They have to have a new stadium. Wishful thinking cincy fans will think they don't, but they have to have it in order to have a chance to stay afloat Financially.

Ironically, the MLS's most successful franchise right now, Seattle, plays in a stadium they share with the Seahawks.

But explain to me how a team, and the league, is going to make more money getting 15k per game in a stadium that is going to cost them 200 Million to build than it would getting 30k per game in an existing stadium?

I know MLS wants each team to have its own stadium. But explain to me the logic, please.

I understand the need for a stadium. FCC played on turf (not grass) the other night, which is ridiculous for big time soccer. They had to move the game because they were getting a new scoreboard in time for the college football season. They don't control dates, concessions, parking, signage, etc. Assuming they get into the MLS they'll get all of the media rights money in addition to the money they make for home games.

Personally I think the MLS needs to add unique venues like Nippert and this is a bad decision. But they have 12 markets fighting for 4 spots so they control the criteria.

It's an incredible atmosphere (likely top 3-4 in the US), but I understand, especially when they're competing with other (bigger) markets that have or will have stadium deals.

I expect FCC to announce theirs soon. They have renderings and a location ready to build.

Last edited:
I understand all that. FCC indirectly paid for that new scoreboard, btw.

FCC knows what they have to do stadium-wise and are doing it.

Honestly, it is just an unnecessary waste of $200M, though. Hell, the top 2 teams in MLS attendance play in stadiums they share with the Seahawks and Falcons. I hope gocatsgo lets them know they better spend $200M on a stadium in order to even have a chance to stay afloat financially before it is too late.

I agree 100% about the grass, but 5 current MLS squads play on grass and one on polytan.

Ironically, the MLS's most successful franchise right now, Seattle, plays in a stadium they share with the Seahawks.

But explain to me how a team, and the league, is going to make more money getting 15k per game in a stadium that is going to cost them 200 Million to build than it would getting 30k per game in an existing stadium?

I know MLS wants each team to have its own stadium. But explain to me the logic, please.
USL ticks $20. MLS tickets $50.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
You guys might want to lose the defensiveness with Cincy... You are probably right about nippert. But MLS is pretty damn insistent on having a stadium. If something happens where they can't get four "stadiums" then I'd say Cincy and Nippert are strong possibilities. But MLS has a lot of data that tells them why they think having a "soccer specific" stadium is a huge help.

Here's a question I have... Why has Soccer caught on so well in Cincy when the Bengals and Reds draw so few compared to the leagues they are in?

The reds were 6th from the bottom last year in attendance in MLB. The bengals were 3rd from the bottom.

No defensiveness. I am telling you what the team believes.

FCC does have a stadium plan if they are forced to move, which they likely will be. Personnel from the MLS teams they have played have told them it would be a shame if MLS ignored the atmosphere they currently play in. Those teams have expressed that to the MLS. But in the end, it likely won't matter.

They won't be one of the initial 2 teams, but I think they have a very good shot at being in the next 2 added.

The Bengals actually have pretty good attendance for the market size. The worst they have done in the last 7 years is 92.7% capacity. They have been up around 96-97% a few times.

The Reds have been awful. But they are right there with Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, ChiSox. They are ahead of the Sox, Miami, Oakland and Tampa Bay despite being in a total rebuild mode.

Cincinnati is the 2nd smallest market in baseball and averaged over 23,000 a game last year while in last place. How is that bad? Sure it isn't as much as the Cubs or Dodgers, but I think 23,000 per game is pretty impressive for 81 games. A lot of those games are in April or September when there's bad weather and most are on weeknights.

Soccer has taken off in Cincinnati and elsewhere because it's very appealing to millennials who have lost interest in other more traditional sports. Basically it's an entirely new fan base. That's the base of FCC and the atmosphere has brought in the more casual fan. FCC averaging 20,000 while the Reds are in season, also averaging 20k+ is pretty impressive for a small market.

Lower level sideline season tix for Columbus Crew are $423 per year. They play 17 regular season home games, so that comes out to less than $25 per ticket. And those are the lower level sideline seats.

You can get uppers for $18 per game.

Yep, my season tickets for the Crew are $306 per ticket for the Supporters section.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT