ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Liverpool got a great draw IMO. Got a lot of travel, but no reason they cant advance.

My Picks:

A: Man U, Benfica
B: Bayern, PSG
C: Athletico, Roma
D: Juve, Barcelona
E: Liverpool, Sevilla
F: Man City, Napoli
G: Leipzig, Monaco
H: Real Madrid, Dortmund

I temper any excitement with our European pool with one reality...aside from Pulisic whose sample size is obviously limited, every European professional we have over there in the Champions League leagues has a history with injuries...Cameron, Bobby Wood most recently, Fabian Johnson, Brooks and even Yedlin had that extended outage in what I believe was March. Injuries abroad torpedoed Terrance Boyd and Aron Johannson. And only in the case of Fabian Johnson did they have the issue of doubling play in their domestic league with Champions League competition.

Yes...I have vaingloriously quoted myself from last month...but my fears stand. FJohnson coming back from injury, so you worry a little bit about his form going against Costa Rica, Yedlin remains injured, Brooks appears to be shelved for an extended stretch. Cameron and Wood--knock on wood--have remained healthy. Perhaps just as important as health is just being in training to get into form.

I have extreme doubt as to whether Chandler can ever realistically contribute to the USMNT. He has never transferred his club play to international competition.

Ok so I did some homework, has anyone heard of this new UEFA Nations League that starts in 2018?

To me, in order to stay competitive, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL will have to combine and do the same....

There are 45 total teams between the two confederations. Do it like this:

Top 12 in League A

Next 16 in League B

Last 17 in League C

Yes...I have vaingloriously quoted myself from last month...but my fears stand. FJohnson coming back from injury, so you worry a little bit about his form going against Costa Rica, Yedlin remains injured, Brooks appears to be shelved for an extended stretch. Cameron and Wood--knock on wood--have remained healthy. Perhaps just as important as health is just being in training to get into form.

I have extreme doubt as to whether Chandler can ever realistically contribute to the USMNT. He has never transferred his club play to international competition.

Yedlin is back training... May play tomorrow.

I actually think Chandler may have turned a corner. He almost has to get a call up even if Yedlin and Zusi get the call...

Ok so I did some homework, has anyone heard of this new UEFA Nations League that starts in 2018?

Yes, it's basically going to end all opportunities for non-European clubs to get a chance to play European clubs in friendlies.

I don't know that conembol and concacaf need to combine, but I do think they should play the Copa America consistently as well as setup some kind of a "league of nations" that has a pro/rel feature.

Yes, it's basically going to end all opportunities for non-European clubs to get a chance to play European clubs in friendlies.

I don't know that conembol and concacaf need to combine, but I do think they should play the Copa America consistently as well as setup some kind of a "league of nations" that has a pro/rel feature.

Do Away with the CONFED Cup and Set the 4 year Cycle as such:

2018: World Cup
2019: Copa America/Gold Cup
2020: UEFA Nations League Final Four/ Euros
2021: Copa America Nations League
2022: World Cup

So, Predictions for our WCQers?

I got 2-1 Win vs. Costa Rica and a 2-0 win vs. Honduras.

Wow, these games snuck up on me. Pretty good roster although I wish a couple of the younger players were on it. I think we'll sweep and if we do, we're in good shape.

Snuck up on me too... I read via someone on Twitter that after the international break in October all but 6 spots for Russia will be filled.
4 uefa playoff spots plus 2 playoff games. Crazy we are coming down the home stretch. If we win both I think we are golden

USA vs. Costa Rica tonight. Absolutely huge, must-win game for the Americans! Win this one tonight and I think it's safe to say we've basically qualified for Russia. The final 3 games against Panama, Honduras, and Trinidad and Tobago are games we should easily win.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
I've been wondering when the Area luck was gonna run out... Looks like tonight is the night.

We have to score at least 1 and the non-penalty call was ridiculous. Where's VAR when you need it?

Also I don't like Nagbe playing there.

I'm beginning to think the US simply does not want to have to go to Russia next summer.

We are gonna go into Honduras, tied at 8pts each, in a brand new stadium, and will have to have 3pts...

giphy.gif

Yea, whatever BeIN Sports is...spanish sports I reckon. Brazil is playing on it right now....

At least we won't hear Taylor Twatman. God. If US soccer wasn't embarrassing enough, we have to listen to junk like him while we get our ass beat. He is an insufferable prick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT