ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Athleticism is taking over the game. The Zuzi's, Beckermans, Beslers, maybe even Morris should all stay home. The game is changing...Look at Man U, stationary players were killing them. Bring in Pogba, Lukaku, and Rashford and run all day. Still need more.

Athleticism is taking over the game. The Zuzi's, Beckermans, Beslers, maybe even Morris should all stay home. The game is changing...Look at Man U, stationary players were killing them. Bring in Pogba, Lukaku, and Rashford and run all day. Still need more.

Morris isn't athletic? huh? Agree with the others. Though I Bet beisler comes. He's a left footed center back. Only other one in the pool, I think, is brooks.

I think Cameron is better in the short term, Chandler is just as good, and perhaps even Fabian Johnson, although he's better on the left. I like Lichaj as well. Long term, I think Acosta can move there.

Yedlin is ideal at that position so hopefully he continues to improve.

The sliding of quality players out of the position of their highest achievement is one of the really welcome armchair quarterbacking things about Klinnsman I don't miss in the least. Cameron if he is moved anywhere away from CB would be a DM, but Bradley for all his detractors is proving to be just what the doctor ordered and he meshes well for what we have in front of him. If Bradley has any one really world class ability it's spraying the ball from a deep lying position...and when you have a target forward like Altidore flanked by channel probers like Pulisic and Nagbe that's an important ability. He's not or ever was a 10 and he really wasn't an 8. I like how Cameron plays out of the back as a CB and think Acosta in a fairly short spell has demonstrated he is a quality paring with Bradley--just as Cameron has demonstrated to be a quality paring with Brooks for a large stint of CopaAmerica last year. Acosta is also remarkably dangerous from distance.

When Howard was talking about dual nationals and their commitment I took that to be a bullet aimed straight at Chandler and to some extent Fabian Johnson, though Johnson was outstanding in the World Cup. Chandler simply has played like a dog in the USMNT uniform; the only saving grace for him is that Russia isn't renowned for hot summers and he's notoriously complosed of parafin wax when it comes to playing in mild conditions.

Meh. That was just a PR stunt. He knew mls couldn't break their fox/espn/telemundo deal

Mls is going to be just like the other major sports in America. That has pros and cons. They will eventually have 32 teams... the cost to get a franchise basically assures that we will never see pro/rel.

the playoff system of mls builds in some late season suspense.

It was totally a PR stunt. Silva knew what he was doing.

Pro/Rel is what's best for US soccer IMO so I hope they reconsider.

I'm just not a Yedlin fan. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Pro/rel is outdated and unnecessary. There's a reason Liga MX is doing away with it and the big Euro leagues would drop it if they could. Not happening here and that's a good thing.

Pro/rel is outdated and unnecessary. There's a reason Liga MX is doing away with it and the big Euro leagues would drop it if they could. Not happening here and that's a good thing.[/QUOTE said:
Both of these are wildly inaccurate...

What's inaccurate. That pro/rel is outdated and unnecessary. Your sig is a logo for a team that stands no chance of getting relegated. Liga MX is discussing eliminating pro/rel at its owners meeting. The league (most popular in the US btw) currently has so many work-arounds that pro/rel is practically irrelevant. Then there's the myriad reasons why it isn't happening here.

Reactions: goukcatsgo
I think Cameron is better in the short term, Chandler is just as good, and perhaps even Fabian Johnson, although he's better on the left. I like Lichaj as well. Long term, I think Acosta can move there.

Yedlin is ideal at that position so hopefully he continues to improve.

Jurgen, is that you?

Deandre Yedlin will start for a pretty big Premier League Side this fall. He's REALLY good and improving every day. Again, he was one of just a few players who started both WC earlier this year when we played two games less than 72 hours apart. that's because he's good, but also because we don't have a good #2 player for that spot.

IN terms of playing guys out of position. Accosta is a CM. he's not a left back or right back. We played him there on the youth usa teams because we had no other options.

Fabian Johnson needs to be a winger when we play Pulisic in an attacking midfield role. A midfield of he, bradley, pulisic and Nagbe is world class.

In terms of left back, I have not given up on Chandler. I pray he gets a call into the late summer wc qualifiers to give him one last shot at competing for the left back spot.

A back line of Chandler, Brooks, Cameron and Yedlin would be the best the USA has ever put on the field, by far. All playing in the top 3 professional leagues in the world and all playing well. Viafanna is ok as an option. But i'd love chandler to finally figure it out.

With a win tonight I believe it makes Arena unbeaten in his first 16 games back as the USMNT "manager/coach/whatever we call it"
It also gets us the gold cup back.

What a turnaround since he took over... Quite remarkable considering the quagmire we were in.

Landon Donovan said something in a goal.com article yesterday that was right on the pulse of something I've been thinking is dogging the U.S. but couldn't express as he did with regard to what the article termed as game changers:

"It’s U.S. Soccer’s challenge," Donovan told Goal. "Argentina has six guys like that, and two of them don’t make their World Cup roster. We have one or two. That’s what needs to get better and it’s not necessarily a thing that one player just turns on. It’s, ‘Do we have that or not? Do we have those options or not?’ We have a few, but inconsistent. We need four or five consistently if we’re going to make it to the next level."

Obviously much of the article is devoted to Pulisic with the inconsistent deliverers being Altidore and now the age limited Dempsey whose impact on the Costa Rica game was tangible and immediate. I'm a huge fan of Nagbe but he leaves you begging for goals--exhibit A being what should have been a first touch tap inside the near post for a goal. He breaks defenses down in a way no other player in the USMNT does, but it's never to setup his own goal. It's great that coming up through the u17 to u20 pool we have so many apparent coveted mids--McKennie, Acosta already established somewhat, Tyler Adams--but we need a couple real high caliber attackers with it. Sargeant looked one a WC away with both the u17 and u20 teams...but we clearly are in need of them right now.

Landon Donovan said something in a goal.com article yesterday that was right on the pulse of something I've been thinking is dogging the U.S. but couldn't express as he did with regard to what the article termed as game changers:

"It’s U.S. Soccer’s challenge," Donovan told Goal. "Argentina has six guys like that, and two of them don’t make their World Cup roster. We have one or two. That’s what needs to get better and it’s not necessarily a thing that one player just turns on. It’s, ‘Do we have that or not? Do we have those options or not?’ We have a few, but inconsistent. We need four or five consistently if we’re going to make it to the next level."

Obviously much of the article is devoted to Pulisic with the inconsistent deliverers being Altidore and now the age limited Dempsey whose impact on the Costa Rica game was tangible and immediate. I'm a huge fan of Nagbe but he leaves you begging for goals--exhibit A being what should have been a first touch tap inside the near post for a goal. He breaks defenses down in a way no other player in the USMNT does, but it's never to setup his own goal. It's great that coming up through the u17 to u20 pool we have so many apparent coveted mids--McKennie, Acosta already established somewhat, Tyler Adams--but we need a couple real high caliber attackers with it. Sargeant looked one a WC away with both the u17 and u20 teams...but we clearly are in need of them right now.

Agree. We have several "decent enough" strikers, but we don't have the "killer" we need. Ironically, germany doesn't have the true #9. But they have so many skilled guys that it doesn't matter. If we had a "killer" striker we'd be a top 10 team in the world with Pulisic playing underneath that striker.

I question whether or not sargent has the physical (speed specifically) to be a "killer" but he may be good enough as a target type striker to make up for it.

I think Wright, for Schalke, could be another one who ends up being very special. I hope he gets 1st team minutes this year and can get a call up into some friendlies.

[QUOTE="goukcatsgo, post: 6037062, member: 7104"
I think Wright, for Schalke, could be another one who ends up being very special. I hope he gets 1st team minutes this year and can get a call up into some friendlies.[/QUOTE]

Saw today he is no longer traveling with their ones and is working with their U23 squad now. McKennie still with their first team. Sargeant had a really unique and savvy skillset for an American his age even in the U20 World Cup; but he's still probably two years away from being able to get a worker's visa to play in Europe. He reminded me of Dempsey in his ability--to quote Arena--"to try s&*t".

What's inaccurate. That pro/rel is outdated and unnecessary. Your sig is a logo for a team that stands no chance of getting relegated. Liga MX is discussing eliminating pro/rel at its owners meeting. The league (most popular in the US btw) currently has so many work-arounds that pro/rel is practically irrelevant. Then there's the myriad reasons why it isn't happening here.
I'm with you. Not sharing revenue among league members as Europe largely does creates tremendous competitive imbalances. "Any Given Sunday" doesn't exist in Europe domestic leagues. Even the Champions League is stacked for 3-10 teams. The people who put up franchise entry fees sure as hell don't want the risk of relegation & they want to collect entry fees from new franchises & want to be able to sell their franchise for a huge fee regardless of how crappy their team is. Sure MLS will not produce Real Madrid quality teams with their structure. Who cares if I don't see 5-0 wipe outs?

Mls is going to be just like the other major sports in America. That has pros and cons. They will eventually have 32 teams... the cost to get a franchise basically assures that we will never see pro/rel.

the playoff system of mls builds in some late season suspense.
You got it. 32 teams spread over 400m people - including Canada - versus hundreds over 500m in Europe in a multitude of countries' leagues is a much better deal for the owners. It's not the franchise cost. It's the risk of dropping down that owners don't want. If pro/rel is so great, why haven't other N Am sports leagues adopted the idea?

Wouldn't surprise me if in 10-20 years MLS & Mex league merge with 6-8 Mex teams.

I was just thinking if we can only get one goal against this team in regulation we deserve to lose if it goes to penalties.

I love nagbe. What a bad ass
One footed. Can't use left. It's why he doesn't take ball to left corner & center it. Also why he stumbles over ball in tight quarters dribbling going forward. Yes, great speed & great going right. Defenders will figure that out.

One footed. Can't use left. It's why he doesn't take ball to left corner & center it. Also why he stumbles over ball in tight quarters dribbling going forward. Yes, great speed & great going right. Defenders will figure that out.

Um no. He's just not a natural winger. He likes operating in the center of the field more. He was moved inside by Portland two years ago and that's when he took off. But he's still very good out wide. He and pulisic together with wood or altidore, and then accosta and bradley with Fabian on the other wing could be very fun to watch. With super subs Morris, dempsey and whoever doesn't start between altidore and wood.

Look for that 4-2-3-1 or the 5-4-1 we saw against Mexico against the top flight teams. Against lower level teams you will see the 4-4-2.

I love Nagbe and you saw a big reason why last night; the US against the above average teams usually gets outpossessed, against top flight badly outpossessed. Nagbe gives the US a player who might not be in the Claudio Reyna caliber of tactical possession, but he's about as close as we've had since Reyna. He led the MLS in fouls drawn a couple years ago and it's a value he brings to the Nat'l team. Like Arena said, when you really need a goal he's not the guy to get it...but when he scores it is invariably spectacular. If he can withstand the high volume of fouls with what the US traditionally yields in set pieces, he's really valuable. They scored on free kicks throughout the Gold Cup.

I was glad it was Morris that got the goal. He's pacey and you never question the effort; sometimes a young player like that just needs a break to go his way...he capitalized in spectacular fashion.

I love Nagbe and you saw a big reason why last night; the US against the above average teams usually gets outpossessed, against top flight badly outpossessed. Nagbe gives the US a player who might not be in the Claudio Reyna caliber of tactical possession, but he's about as close as we've had since Reyna. He led the MLS in fouls drawn a couple years ago and it's a value he brings to the Nat'l team. Like Arena said, when you really need a goal he's not the guy to get it...but when he scores it is invariably spectacular. If he can withstand the high volume of fouls with what the US traditionally yields in set pieces, he's really valuable. They scored on free kicks throughout the Gold Cup.

I was glad it was Morris that got the goal. He's pacey and you never question the effort; sometimes a young player like that just needs a break to go his way...he capitalized in spectacular fashion.

Very well said. Nagbe was also key in the build up of the opening altidore goal against costa rica and was dominant on the ball last night. If you came down from mars and watched team usa last night you might come away thinking nagbe was our best player.

I firmly believe that the best 11 we have to put on the field right now is probably the best "overall" 11 we've ever had. And I firmly believe that pulisic is playing at a higher level right now than any other US player in our history.

A lineup of the following...

Altidore Wood

Pulisic
Johnson Nagbe

Bradley

Viafana Brooks Cameron Yedlin

Howard

That's the most complete 11 we've ever fielded. The "only" player I would worry about against a top top team is Viafana. But he gets some good cover from Johnson. Bradley, who i thought might be regressing, is probably playing his best soccer ever. Brooks is the most expensive US transfer in history after his move to Wolfsburg, Cameron is playing incredibly and Yedlin's development has been outstanding at TH, Sunderland and Now New Castle.

The other issue I see with this team is that our "strikers" might not be best we've ever had. But I do think that we will see yet another jump from Wood this year along with Pulisic adding a dimension.

I've got tickets to the Costa Rica v. usa qualifier in NY/NJ next month. Haven't decided if I'm going or not...

Gold Cup quick thoughts:
  • Impressed with Morris, Gonzales, Altidore,
  • Encouraged by Nagbe and Acosta, Villafana
  • Not impressed with Zardes
Some of our goals this tournament were truly world class. That's super encouraging and hopefully when we add the European players to camp, we will have a team that will easily qualify.

Gold Cup quick thoughts:
  • Impressed with Morris, Gonzales, Altidore,
  • Encouraged by Nagbe and Acosta, Villafana
  • Not impressed with Zardes
Some of our goals this tournament were truly world class. That's super encouraging and hopefully when we add the European players to camp, we will have a team that will easily qualify.

Agreed but I think Zardes is still coming back from an injury or something.

I temper any excitement with our European pool with one reality...aside from Pulisic whose sample size is obviously limited, every European professional we have over there in the Champions League leagues has a history with injuries...Cameron, Bobby Wood most recently, Fabian Johnson, Brooks and even Yedlin had that extended outage in what I believe was March. Injuries abroad torpedoed Terrance Boyd and Aron Johannson. And only in the case of Fabian Johnson did they have the issue of doubling play in their domestic league with Champions League competition.

One thing is for sure, we've obviously been craving an in form for a tournament Altidore. Get him flanked with an in form Bobby Wood and that is a great step forward.

As a parting shot...I always sort of liked Zardes and appreciated his work rate, but the colossally poor first touch which laughably made the rounds on Youtube last year has somehow gotten worse. If he makes it to Russia next year I'm afraid it's because something has gone disastrously wrong.

I agree there are things that are massive flaws in Zardes the main one being his touch, but for some reason man when he is on the pitch he makes things happen. Morris has that pace and power we have been missing. He makes our attack dynamic. The person who I am most impressed with is Villafana. He had multiple key tackles both last night in 1v1 instances and during the entire tournament. his delivery from out wide is far better than anyone else at that position and if Yedlin can continue to improve we will have a set of fullbacks that are very talented.

For a long time the USMNT flaws could be traced back to not having a replacement for Demarcus Beasley at LB. It forced us to play Johnson out of position which set off a chain reaction of people playing positions that were not their natural position. when you are able to plug in someone like Villafana, now its balaces everything out. It gives more depth at the winger and CM positions... just look at the effect:

with Villafana you line up like so:

Howard
Villafana, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin
Acosta - Bradley
Nagbe - Pulisic - Johnson
Altidore

but it gives you a lot to play with in that front 4. You have Nagbe, Pulisic, Johnson, Zardes, Morris, Arriola, Dempsey, Bedoya....Most of which can play at least 2 of the front 4 positions. We are very flexible and its all because now we have a reliable, natural LB in Villafana. I also notice such a massive difference in Bradley playing next to Acosta. Acosta relieves soo much pressure off of Bradley which allows him to kinda be that "regista" and not have too much put on his plate. I really like the momentum of this team. Winning the Gold Cup should really propel us up the FIFA rankings....finish out strong in WCQ and we could continue to climb.... Maybe catch a break in the WC draw and Russia could be a very interesting world cup for the USMNT.

Personally I would rank the US easily top 20 right now, or just barely outside.

The caution I would throw on Villafana--who should have been getting looks with the USMNT two years ago when he had that great year with Portland before leaving for Liga MX--he wasn't having to work against any of the World Class wings in the Gold Cup. No Vela, no Joel Campbell with Costa Rica. He looked good in attack, but part of that might have been the ability to pin a little bit less a caliber of wing than you see from Costa Rica and Mexico under normal circumstances.

So, it sounds like many of you agree that we might be decent in the 2018 World Cup. How far do y'all think we "should" go?

And, how do you think we project roster-wise to 2022?

ADVERTISEMENT