ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to Michigan State?

$100,000,000 deal is rumored to be finalized this week.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

• Haha
Reactions: KYExtemper
The standards at that athletic dept are so low. From gymnastics, to Adrian Payne, to Tucker and now Urban Meyer. What a cesspool
This. Hard to argue with. Hard to think Coach Urban would stank to that low but… money seems to make anything possible. Watch, see, make the opinion of him and the program when it settles.

Nah. Can't be. No way a mid level conference team can hire a great coach that can get them to the next level.

Never happen.

I heard it here, so must be true.
They’ve been to 4 New Years 6 games in the past 10 years, including the CFP one of those years. Only 8 teams in college football have more New Years 6 appearances. They have already been to the next level.

They’ve been to 4 New Years 6 games in the past 10 years, including the CFP one of those years. Only 8 teams in college football have more New Years 6 appearances. They have already been to the next level.

Yep. People say silly things when they don't watch much football

MSU also has two national titles and multiple conference titles since the 50s. Recent CFP participant.

Last edited:
They are definitely not " next level" right now.

Yep. People say silly things when they don't watch much football

MSU also has two national titles and multiple conference titles since the 50s. Recent CFP participant.
2018 7-6. Big 10 5-4
2019 7-6. 4-5
2020 2-5. 2-5
2021 11-2. 7-2
2022 5-7. 3-6
2023 2-6. 0-5

It is not 1950. Much like UK basketball, the trend for MS football is not championship level over past 6 years.

You must be one of those who don't watch much football. I watch too much.

Reactions: seccats04
You’re insinuating in your post that the UK and MSU jobs are similar in stature and the thought of a coach like Urban going to MSU can never happen bc many on here have said a coach like that would never come to UK.

The last 2 coaches at MSU have been to NY6 bowl games and won 11 or more games a combined 6 times since 2010 and 7 or more conference games since 2010.

While UK might be similar/better the last handful of years, it’s been proven on multiple occasions that you can win big at MSU in recent years. That’s never been proven at UK.

Getting a big name coach at a program that’s proven on multiple occasions in recent years that they can win a conference and compete for playoff spots is much easier than at a program that hasn’t.

What happens if stress overcomes him again, talk about stress, if this were to be true, he wouldn't last long if Florida got to him.

Nah. Can't be. No way a mid level conference team can hire a great coach that can get them to the next level.

Never happen.

I heard it here, so must be true.
So we should just Pencil in MSU as national champs in 3 years if Urban goes there. Got. it. And by the way, MSU has a far more history and tradition as a football program than UK.

No, but that's also why they're searching for a coach. Alabama, wasn't "next level" for a few years before they hired Saban, but do you discount all of their history and say "see a mid level SEC team can hire a big name". MSU has been to the next level, they have tradition, scale and resources to get there again. Hiring a volatile coach like UM is not out of the realm of possibility for them.

And don't get me wrong, If Stoops were to leave tomorrow, yeah, I think UK could have as legit of a shot as any at landing UM at this point if they really wanted to pony up what it would take. But that's not going to happen, and Stoops hasn't done anything at all to deserve being fired at this point. You wanna shoot yourself in the johnson on a coaching search? Fire the winningest coach in program history, then watch a guy like UM laugh in your face at an offer.

You’re insinuating in your post that the UK and MSU jobs are similar in stature and the thought of a coach like Urban going to MSU can never happen bc many on here have said a coach like that would never come to UK.

The last 2 coaches at MSU have been to NY6 bowl games and won 11 or more games a combined 6 times since 2010 and 7 or more conference games since 2010.

While UK might be similar/better the last handful of years, it’s been proven on multiple occasions that you can win big at MSU in recent years. That’s never been proven at UK.

Getting a big name coach at a program that’s proven on multiple occasions in recent years that they can win a conference and compete for playoff spots is much easier than at a program that hasn’t.

Agreed. They are 2 different programs with different histories.

-MSU -
a) Given it's history, it would be easier for a program like MSU to hire someone in the first place.
b) It's an easier conference
c) Given it's history, it's mildly less likely that a coach would want to leave for a better job over a place like UK
d) If a coach leaves for whatever the reason, it is very likely that MSU would be able to hire someone that can get them back to 7-10+ wins quickly.

-UK -
a) Given it's history, it is not easy to make a stellar hire. If it were, we'd already have a history of it happening. .
b) Tougher conference
c) Given it's history, it's mildly more likely that a coach would want to leave for a better job over a place like MSU
d) If a coach leaves for whatever the reason, it is very likely that UK would fall back to winning 4 wins/year. The reason why I know this is based off UK's history over the last 60-70 years.

So we should just Pencil in MSU as national champs in 3 years if Urban goes there. Got. it. And by the way, MSU has a far more history and tradition as a football program than UK.
Where did you read that? National Championship is not the "next level" when you can't compete in your division in your own conference. Competing for division championship would be next level.....

And as far as MSU having far more tradition and history than UK. Could that be because they refuse to accept mediocrity???

How long did it take MSU to find a way to get rid of a mediocre football coach????

Reactions: blackcat714

No. I am insinuating in my post that MSU and UK are no where similar in football.

MSU actually believes they can improve their program and will make every effort to do so asap.

We have very few fans who believe that is possible while MSU fans and administration demand better.

We are nowhere near the history and tradition of MSU and never will be until we get an AD and a fan base that demand better outcomes.

Agreed. They are 2 different programs with different histories.

-MSU -
a) Given it's history, it would be easier for a program like MSU to hire someone in the first place.
b) It's an easier conference
c) Given it's history, it's mildly less likely that a coach would want to leave for a better job over a place like UK
d) If a coach leaves for whatever the reason, it is very likely that MSU would be able to hire someone that can get them back to 7-10+ wins quickly.

-UK -
a) Given it's history, it is not easy to make a stellar hire. If it were, we'd already have a history of it happening. .
b) Tougher conference
c) Given it's history, it's mildly more likely that a coach would want to leave for a better job over a place like MSU
d) If a coach leaves for whatever the reason, it is very likely that UK would fall back to winning 4 wins/year. The reason why I know this is based off UK's history over the last 60-70 years.

On your last point about UK I'll just say since 2006 season when the 12th game was added UK has made 12 bowls and only won less than 5 games 2 seasons, jokers last year and Stoops first.

With all the resources UK has now I dont see the next coach having that issue as long as its the right hire.

Why would he not at least be on the call list of any job opening?

The dude rebuilds programs and wins titles.

He'd have them sniffing around the conference title, and in the playoff picture in 3 years...maybe sooner now with portal and NIL.

On your last point about UK I'll just say since 2006 season when the 12th game was added UK has made 12 bowls and only won less than 5 games 2 seasons, jokers last year and Stoops first.

With all the resources UK has now I dont see the next coach having that issue as long as its the right hire.

No doubt that things are much better off recently than in the past. Though it's impossible to know for sure just how fragile things are. The only thing we can possibly say is that the longer we have someone in place that is winning the further away from fragility we are.

I do think that we could make a good hire.......the issue is what if we don't? Or what if we make a good hire and he leaves in a few yrs? What if we hire a guy with a big change in philosophy that takes a while to turnover......can the program survive years of going back to the basement?

Last edited:
LOL - they throw the bank at "can't miss" Mel Tucker and we saw how that turned out.
Could Urban Myer create Ohio State type results at Michigan State? I wouldn't hold my breath.
They must have big boosters with more money than brains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jont0805
LOL - they throw the bank at "can't miss" Mel Tucker and we saw how that turned out.
Could Urban Myer create Ohio State type results at Michigan State? I wouldn't hold my breath.
The must have big boosters with more money than brains.

OSU results? I don't think so. But I think that he could absolutely have them winning enough to make the occasional (or perhaps frequent) 12 team playoff.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I SMELL A TEXAS A AND M SITUATION, if this is true. they paid jimbo a boat load of money and look at them now. not what they were expecting. same at michigan state, they are desperate and going to do the same thing. if they give ole sick boy urban when things get tough im too sick to coach anymore that kind of money. he will bail and they will look just like the fans down in texas.

Where did you read that? National Championship is not the "next level" when you can't compete in your division in your own conference. Competing for division championship would be next level.....

And as far as MSU having far more tradition and history than UK. Could that be because they refuse to accept mediocrity???

How long did it take MSU to find a way to get rid of a mediocre football coach????
We "competed" for the Division Championship in 2018. We literally played UGA for the right to go to the SEC championship game. We were nearly in that same position in 2021. Unfortunately Competing for our Division means beating UGA. You gonna fire Stoops for not beating UGA? Tell me, who has beaten UGA in the last 3 years?

Reactions: Samurai Cat
We "competed" for the Division Championship in 2018. We literally played UGA for the right to go to the SEC championship game. We were nearly in that same position in 2021. Unfortunately Competing for our Division means beating UGA. You gonna fire Stoops for not beating UGA? Tell me, who has beaten UGA in the last 3 years?

Yeah, Georgia has been near unbeatable. Alabama is the only team to beat them and almost did it twice (would have if WRs were healthy IMO).

Anyone wanting to fire Stoops is crazy. We aren't ever winning the SEC or national title anyways and he has as good of a chance of sneaking into a 12 team playoff as any other guy we bring in (slim with NIL IMO and UK would have to go 10 and 2 to make it probably) but perhaps when it goes to 16. We would have made it in 2018 and 2021 then I believe.

They must have big boosters with more money than brains.

If Urban let's it be known he wants to coach again, ATM is buying out Jimbo and giving him a contract to fill in. The rest of us pay for it when gas goes up a dollar a gallon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT