ADVERTISEMENT

Upon further review...Cats had a shot yesterday

I think UKErik posts this stuff as the pied piper plays....just to appease his followers who can't think for themselves. This was an ass beating and it was just a matter of time. Guess what....UK was in it when it was 0-0 as well...see how that works?

Good grief.

If some of us are unfortunately correct and the wheels fall off next year with the attrition of key players, combined with the SEC east reverting back to form, we won’t have 5 years of Stoops left - unless empty seats is what Barney values.

With that said, you missed the point again. I didn’t expect us to win. I was stating most of what Erik was saying revolves around execution and that, along fundamentals, has not been a strong suit under this regime.

Our coach has only proved one thing - he’s a better recruiter than his predecessors. He hasn’t been great at developing talent, his game management is very questionable, the team preparedness and game planning often leaves us scratching our heads and his inability to at least have his defense fundamentally sound by this juncture in his tenure is baffling.

I’m a glass half full guy who was “all in” until he beginning of last year when I expected to see Stoops grow as a coach and leader. Making the same blunders with the same excuses have me realizing he’s not the long term answer.
You didn't expect a win yesterday. We were a 3 touchdown underdog. I didn't miss your point, and I can see you aren't going to acknowledge mine. That's okay, it doesn't matter. We have an element on this board that blames every win on our schedule and uses every defeat to blast our coach. If Stoops fails, then the school will deal with that. But that's a strange point to push during his 2nd consecutive bowl season. Unlike some people who post, I can't predict the future, and won't try. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Reactions: BlueTick2
For some insane reason, the first thing I wanted to do this morning was watch the UK/UGA replay. Unfortunately, the score didn't change (LOL). I'll say this though...if UK wasn't UK's own worst enemy, they might have had a shot yesterday. A few thoughts;

*Late in the 3rd quarter, UK trailed 28-13. They had the football at midfield. At that moment, UK had only been outgained 297-259. UGA had scored on four of seven possessions. UK had scored on three of seven. Not an even game, but far from a beating.

*Of course, this is when the Bowden interception happened. After that turnover, Georgia absolutely dominated.

*Missed opportunities really hurt the Cats. Three plays (among many) that really standout...the roughing the punter penalty, the over throw down the sideline to Charles Walker (he was 2-3 yards behind his defender), and the under throw/drop on the last possession of the first half. Those three errors cost Kentucky 13-17 points.

*Missed tackles. Georgia has two of the best backs in college football. Bringing those dudes down has to be a bitch (especially one-on-one). With that being said, there were MULTIPLE long Georgia runs where Kentucky could/should have had a tackle for loss. Josh Allen REALLY had a tough day.

*Had UK finished off that drive (where Bowden tossed the INT) with a touchdown, they would pulled within 28-20. They also would have had around a 313-297 total yardage advantage with the 3rd quarter over or almost over. That's how huge that particular possession was. Even with the mistakes that I mentioned above, UK was still in the football game.

*Big picture, Kentucky has to get better at the point of attack, especially on defense. They battled their asses off. They played well enough to keep UK in the football game for three quarters. As usual though, UK needs more DL depth and talent. And I still like the idea of having a 4th 280+ pounder out there vs. the hybrid DE/LB. UGA's tackles MAULED our LB's over and over yesterday.

*The interior of the OL played VERY WELL at times. The tackles, they played a little better than I originally thought, but they still get killed when DE's can just pin their ears back without concern for the run.

*God bless Stephen Johnson for what he's done for UK football. With that being said, we need a difference maker at QB. Johnson is a tough guy. He's a winner. He's not a guy that's going to play four quarters of consistent football though.

*Benny Snell. That dude has no quit in him at all.

GBB!!!
SJ, he broken, beaten down, working with one arm, and one leg yet, we can't give a healthy QB a chance. Deer in the headlights.

You didn't expect a win yesterday. We were a 3 touchdown underdog. I didn't miss your point, and I can see you aren't going to acknowledge mine. That's okay, it doesn't matter. We have an element on this board that blames every win on our schedule and uses every defeat to blast our coach. If Stoops fails, then the school will deal with that. But that's a strange point to push during his 2nd consecutive bowl season. Unlike some people who post, I can't predict the future, and won't try. Let's just wait and see what happens.
But you do claim falsities. "We're a big boy SEC program now!" False start. We may never be a BIG BOY PROGRAM. We have fans that are in their 70,80,90's that have been waiting on that day. I'm not saying fire Stoops, because who else can we get? But I'm telling you Stoops is too damn stubborn to get us to big Boy status. So yeah, 7-6 maybe, maybe 8-5. People don't realise this, but we are looking at Juco QB's to start next year. SJ is not skilled, Juco QB are Juco for a reason. However, not ever Juco QB is gonna be a winner like SJ. What's are D gonna be like next year? Same. Maybe worse if Ware and guys bolt this year. Some of us want better.

You’re correct, it doesn’t matter cuz we’re just getting started, bro!

Haters hate. Truth is truth. We got some kids that are gritty competitors that aren't on the talent level of others, and not enough of em when someone gets hurt.
Georgia, Bama, Auburn, LSU....even Florida and UT have talent on the bench equal to their starters. We don't yet.
Coaches call plays they THINK their players can do. Can't do it for em. I just bet a lot of the folks wondering why Snell didn't get ten more carries would be lining up to hang a coach if his knees played out. Can't help but think about all the chatter about LB being the quarterback reversed field after the pass yesterday.
Most of us grew to admire Brooks AFTER we wanted him fired. He wasn't a great recruiter. Phillips definitely wasn't a good recruiter. This cupboard was bare from year one of Stoops. Not just not SEC talent, but not top OVC talent.
Not a shot at some good kids, just the way it is.
Two wins, five, five, seven, maybe eight or nine but no worse than seven.
Yeah, yeah, yeah....weak schedule. Talk to Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt fans.
Ask LSU how weak Mississippi State is. Ask anyone not named Auburn how weak Georgia is. Ask 8 teams how weak South Carolina is.
We got a long way to go, but compared to the history of the team to say we aren't better is off base.

You don't seem to be getting the, "Messenger" from blue decade.

I don't agree with him on some things but a good source on others, but no similarity at all in their style of writing, followed the anesthesiolugist from the midwest for a year or two, not the same person. Have no idea where he went, just disappeared after running his own site and semi another which also went out of business, both free.

Haters hate. Truth is truth. We got some kids that are gritty competitors that aren't on the talent level of others, and not enough of em when someone gets hurt.
Georgia, Bama, Auburn, LSU....even Florida and UT have talent on the bench equal to their starters. We don't yet.
Coaches call plays they THINK their players can do. Can't do it for em. I just bet a lot of the folks wondering why Snell didn't get ten more carries would be lining up to hang a coach if his knees played out. Can't help but think about all the chatter about LB being the quarterback reversed field after the pass yesterday.
Most of us grew to admire Brooks AFTER we wanted him fired. He wasn't a great recruiter. Phillips definitely wasn't a good recruiter. This cupboard was bare from year one of Stoops. Not just not SEC talent, but not top OVC talent.
Not a shot at some good kids, just the way it is.
Two wins, five, five, seven, maybe eight or nine but no worse than seven.
Yeah, yeah, yeah....weak schedule. Talk to Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt fans.
Ask LSU how weak Mississippi State is. Ask anyone not named Auburn how weak Georgia is. Ask 8 teams how weak South Carolina is.
We got a long way to go, but compared to the history of the team to say we aren't better is off base.

Actually I think Joker was a good recruiter, he added three 5.7s to the ONE that he had gotten a commit from before AND our customary ONE four star AFTER he was named head coach at the last possible minute, just that the four of them did diddley at UK. Then things went downhill fast, two great efforts to beat top ten USC and come within three jpoints of NC Auburn with Cam before the downward spiral with no support caught up with him and us. I really think he lost a lot of the team when he (LOL it was his idea) suspended Hartline dooming our seniors bowl game.

How much did Bohanna play, and will he be available for Transfer U?

I have never seen a ruling overturned which was as bad as the incompletion ruled that on the field and overturned by someone with all the resources they had, the ball was obviously loose as he was falling, his elbows hit the ground while out of bounds and then he secured possession, don't see how in the world they overturned that one.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
For some insane reason, the first thing I wanted to do this morning was watch the UK/UGA replay. Unfortunately, the score didn't change (LOL). I'll say this though...if UK wasn't UK's own worst enemy, they might have had a shot yesterday. A few thoughts;

*Late in the 3rd quarter, UK trailed 28-13. They had the football at midfield. At that moment, UK had only been outgained 297-259. UGA had scored on four of seven possessions. UK had scored on three of seven. Not an even game, but far from a beating.

*Of course, this is when the Bowden interception happened. After that turnover, Georgia absolutely dominated.

*Missed opportunities really hurt the Cats. Three plays (among many) that really standout...the roughing the punter penalty, the over throw down the sideline to Charles Walker (he was 2-3 yards behind his defender), and the under throw/drop on the last possession of the first half. Those three errors cost Kentucky 13-17 points.

*Missed tackles. Georgia has two of the best backs in college football. Bringing those dudes down has to be a bitch (especially one-on-one). With that being said, there were MULTIPLE long Georgia runs where Kentucky could/should have had a tackle for loss. Josh Allen REALLY had a tough day.

*Had UK finished off that drive (where Bowden tossed the INT) with a touchdown, they would pulled within 28-20. They also would have had around a 313-297 total yardage advantage with the 3rd quarter over or almost over. That's how huge that particular possession was. Even with the mistakes that I mentioned above, UK was still in the football game.

*Big picture, Kentucky has to get better at the point of attack, especially on defense. They battled their asses off. They played well enough to keep UK in the football game for three quarters. As usual though, UK needs more DL depth and talent. And I still like the idea of having a 4th 280+ pounder out there vs. the hybrid DE/LB. UGA's tackles MAULED our LB's over and over yesterday.

*The interior of the OL played VERY WELL at times. The tackles, they played a little better than I originally thought, but they still get killed when DE's can just pin their ears back without concern for the run.

*God bless Stephen Johnson for what he's done for UK football. With that being said, we need a difference maker at QB. Johnson is a tough guy. He's a winner. He's not a guy that's going to play four quarters of consistent football though.

GBB!!!
Someone finally talks some sense. If we can come up with a win next week. That more wins then 90% of all people expected. Of course we blew a couple more wins, but could have easily lost a couple we won. 3-4 plays in most games make a huge difference..

Ya know , I agree with a lot of what you say . But you keep touting that 3 touchdown underdog thing and it don't mean crap . It could also be a direct reflection of the current coaching staff . Depends on how you look at it .

Well, this makes me feel a lot better.

Still don't see how our defense is going to stop Louisville from scoring next Saturday.

Good post.
You are right. I don't think think their D stops us either. I wouldn't mind a shoot out. like 41-38

You can say that about most of Stoops tenure. If so and so would have caught that ball, hit the other hole, not dropped that INT, had enough men on the field, not left WR totally uncovered on multiple occasions. Truthfully in most games execution is the difference between winning and losing.

Our poor execution is a direct reflection of the staff and it starts with our HC. They’ve had enough time and are coaching the kids Stoops selected.

Though I HATE our conservative O, that’s expected when your HC is a lifelong DC. But to have this joke of a defense this late in the game is unexceptable. The snafus with assignments, poor scheming, bad secondary, etc.
unexceptable, but Stoops would tell you it is unacceptable, as is your post JMO

How much did Bohanna play, and will he be available for Transfer U?

I have never seen a ruling overturned which was as bad as the incompletion ruled that on the field and overturned by someone with all the resources they had, the ball was obviously loose as he was falling, his elbows hit the ground while out of bounds and then he secured possession, don't see how in the world they overturned that one.
I agree. I watched this one several times and there is no way it was a completion. These officials had their orders and they stuck to them. GO CATS!!

I think UKErik posts this stuff as the pied piper plays....just to appease his followers who can't think for themselves. This was an ass beating and it was just a matter of time. Guess what....UK was in it when it was 0-0 as well...see how that works?

Good grief.

Agree 100% (except the Erik stuff). Everyone has a chance until they don't.

Well, this makes me feel a lot better.

Still don't see how our defense is going to stop Louisville from scoring next Saturday.

Good post.

I guess the only good news about Louisville is that are literally a one-man show. We can't stop Jackson, but if we can slow him down a bit and just run the ball down their throats, I think we can beat them.

Great post'
UK played better than the score indicated.
Senior night, just lost their #1 ranking last week, lots of motivation for the dawgs.

UK was still in the game late in the 3rd quarter.
Proud of the effort. In years past it would have been 30-0 at half.
Georgia was just a better team. But the gap is being closed by Stoops and staff.
agree and this years recruiting class may be the best yet!!

But you do claim falsities. "We're a big boy SEC program now!" False start. We may never be a BIG BOY PROGRAM. We have fans that are in their 70,80,90's that have been waiting on that day. I'm not saying fire Stoops, because who else can we get? But I'm telling you Stoops is too damn stubborn to get us to big Boy status. So yeah, 7-6 maybe, maybe 8-5. People don't realise this, but we are looking at Juco QB's to start next year. SJ is not skilled, Juco QB are Juco for a reason. However, not ever Juco QB is gonna be a winner like SJ. What's are D gonna be like next year? Same. Maybe worse if Ware and guys bolt this year. Some of us want better.
You may be thinking of someone else. I didn't say any of that.

I agree. I watched this one several times and there is no way it was a completion. These officials had their orders and they stuck to them. GO CATS!!

It depends on how you are looking at it, I thought both were completions, one was ruled complete, the other wasn't and both calls stood.

Actually I think Joker was a good recruiter, he added three 5.7s.
This depends on your frame of reference. I know you are really big on 5.7s, 5.8s, 5.9s. But Jon Toth was a 5.4, Benny Snell a 5.5, Drew Barker a 5.9. If that doesn't teach you about judging a young football player by 1 number, then nothing ever will. Just saying, how a player plays the game means everything when it comes to results. Good recruiters know this. As a recruiter, Joker wasn't even in the same universe compared to Stoops and Marrow. But if you are comparing Joker as a recruiter to what happened here under Hal Mumme, then I guess I could understand your perspective.

This depends on your frame of reference. I know you are really big on 5.7s, 5.8s, 5.9s. But Jon Toth was a 5.4, Benny Snell a 5.5, Drew Barker a 5.9. If that doesn't teach you about judging a young football player by 1 number, then nothing ever will. Just saying, how a player plays the game means everything when it comes to results. Good recruiters know this. As a recruiter, Joker wasn't even in the same universe compared to Stoops and Marrow. But if you are comparing Joker as a recruiter to what happened here under Hal Mumme, then I guess I could understand your perspective.

These kids get their rankings from attending camps, some are great athletes who are fast and can run a ladder drill with feet that are a blur while others are quite as fast, feet are a little slower, but put the pads on and they are football players. For us Thomas Davis was a 2* with no offers for us, one of our coaches went to watch his son play basketball against Davis's team, called Richt and offered him that night, ended up an AA and just finished his 14th year in the NFL. Todd Gurley was a 3* RB until the last ranking, he didn't attend a single camp because he spent the summer running track for the US 18 and under national team in Europe as a Hurdler and he was a decent college back. Star ranking is all about attending the camps, not about how good a kid can play football. Now they do coincide often, but not always.

It depends on how you are looking at it, I thought both were completions, one was ruled complete, the other wasn't and both calls stood.
The one where the receiver made an outstanding attempt; dragging his feet was an incomplete pass. The ball was clearly coming out of his hands when he hit the ground and the ball hit the ground as he was trying to regain control. - The ball clearly touched the ground before he got control. There is no other way to call this one. I have watched it many times. - I will just chalk it up to a "missed" call. GO CATS!!

Those saying we can't stop Lamar is partly true. But the best way to stop him his him holding the helmet on the sideline. We don't need to get in a shootout. We need to keep the d off the field and convert long time consuming drives.

That makes a player like Lamar struggle to get in a rythem. That's key. We need 7-10 play TOUCHDOWN drives not FGs.
I agree with this,I may be wrong,but I don't like Kentucky's chances in a shootout. Kentucky is not as explosive with the deep pass or passing game it seems to me as they were last year. I do like the way Kentucky has been running the ball,but need both Saturday in order to win the game.

Those plays may have made the score closer but you don't have to be a football Einstein to have seen the physical superiority of Georgia that totally dominated the 4th quarter.

Those plays may have made the score closer but you don't have to be a football Einstein to have seen the physical superiority of Georgia that totally dominated the 4th quarter.

I don't think it was as obvious the ball was moving as the above poster did, but the one I am recalling was incomplete, I didn't think any of the others were very close. UK came to play, played very hard but midway the 2nd quarter UK's defense was worn down. By middle of the 3rd quarter, they were half a step late to spots and it got worse later. UGA's backs all had fresh legs, Chubb carried the ball 15 times, Michel about 10, Swift 7 and UK's defense was just exhausted. Depth is UK's biggest issue defensively, the defense is actually pretty good early, but the depth is too much of a drop off right now and haven't gained the trust of the staff yet.

Reactions: Deeeefense
UK was finished after Georgia answered our score after halftime. Stoops knew it was over and shut it down before it got any worse. Once it got 35-13 at the end of 3 Stoops waved the white flag. Only attempted three throws in the fourth. Doesn't sound like a team that thought they had a shot and they didn't. Defense was not capable of getting enough stops to make it a game.

Georgia had 11 five-stars and 44 four-stars while Kentucky had one-five star and 14-four stars. That was the rankings for that game.

Reactions: law1127

GBB!!!
Erik...thought the same after rewatching the game yesterday...coaches should look themselves in the mirror and slap they faces...three questions:
1. Why the hell the call fire the block punt?
2. Why are you targeting Riggs on the goal instead of CJ. or a tall WR?
3.What are you having LB throw up a 50/50 ball to our shortest WR?
Just amazing!

Reactions: law1127
Erik...thought the same after rewatching the game yesterday...coaches should look themselves in the mirror and slap they faces...three questions:
1. Why the hell the call fire the block punt?
2. Why are you targeting Riggs on the goal instead of CJ. or a tall WR?
3.What are you having LB throw up a 50/50 ball to our shortest WR?
Just amazing!

I'd be willing to put #2 and #3 on the SJ and LB making poor decisions. There was a second TE on the throw to Rigg, and I'm not sure if it was Conrad or Hart, and can't remember if Conrad was hurt by that point.

Georgia had 11 five-stars and 44 four-stars while Kentucky had one-five star and 14-four stars. That was the rankings for that game.

If Kentucky is going to play the games based on recruiting rankings then we just need to fold the program. We will finish in the 10-14 range in the SEC every year. No reason to even have hope. Didn't think we would beat Georgia, but that kind of thinking results in accepting mediocrity.

So we should ignore the reality of the situation or accept mediocrity? We don't have the depth or talent, but should expect a national championship? No, thanks I will have realistic expectations for this team while supporting them in every game they play.

Reactions: UKCatnNC and jauk11
So we should ignore the reality of the situation or accept mediocrity? We don't have the depth or talent, but should expect a national championship? No, thanks I will have realistic expectations for this team while supporting them in every game they play.

I don't know of anyone on here that expects a national championship. Every school in the SEC has won 9+ games in the last decade besides us. We have not won 9 in four decades . No other school has a losing streak that spans 3+ decades. When are we going to expect more out of this program. Georgia is a good team, but it's time we at least try to get competitive with some of the upper half of the league. Stoops is a top 20-25 paid head coach and we are ranked around 60+ in the nation.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the TV version yet, but I was in Athens. The non-call early in the game, in which I thought it should have been pass interference on UGA (corner route/back of end zone) was huge. That happened right in front of us. I was going nuts, but the UGA folks didn't show the rep[lay on the video board. Imagine that. For those of you who've seen it on TV, what did you think? Was it interference? If we get that call, and we don't rough the puinter after we three-and-out'ed the Dawgs on their next possession, we have a lot of momentum going forward.

But I still don't think we'd ended up winning, even if we change those events. Our defense looked gassed in the second half. What looks like missed tackles, is a lot of times fatigue. Georgia's fresh RB's were running through our tired arms and legs. If we're up 14-7 early, I still think the second half goes as it did. The Dawgs are damn good. Might be better next year. Georgia fans thought Snell was fantastic, but the fans around me thought SJ was our weakness on offense. He's a great kid, with fantastic intangibles, but I just don't think he's more than an average QB. We have to get better at that position for this program to move forward, IMO.

Reactions: UKUGA
I haven't seen the TV version yet, but I was in Athens. The non-call early in the game, in which I thought it should have been pass interference on UGA (corner route/back of end zone) was huge. That happened right in front of us. I was going nuts, but the UGA folks didn't show the rep[lay on the video board. Imagine that. For those of you who've seen it on TV, what did you think? Was it interference? If we get that call, and we don't rough the puinter after we three-and-out'ed the Dawgs on their next possession, we have a lot of momentum going forward.

But I still don't think we'd ended up winning, even if we change those events. Our defense looked gassed in the second half. What looks like missed tackles, is a lot of times fatigue. Georgia's fresh RB's were running through our tired arms and legs. If we're up 14-7 early, I still think the second half goes as it did. The Dawgs are damn good. Might be better next year. Georgia fans thought Snell was fantastic, but the fans around me thought SJ was our weakness on offense. He's a great kid, with fantastic intangibles, but I just don't think he's more than an average QB. We have to get better at that position for this program to move forward, IMO.
The interference that was not called was on the ref who was right on the play. It was another "missed call" by this officiating team. GO CATS!!

I don't know of anyone on here that expects a national championship. Every school in the SEC has won 9+ games in the last decade besides us. We have not won 9 in four decades . No other school has a losing streak that spans 3+ decades. When are we going to expect more out of this program. Georgia is a good team, but it's time we at least try to get competitive with some of the upper half of the league. Stoops is a top 20-25 paid head coach and we are ranked around 60+ in the nation.

It is a long hard road from TWO consecutive TWO win seasons to nine wins with an SEC schedule PLUS another ranked OOC foe with a Heisman winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT