ADVERTISEMENT

The Jet is on the recruiting trail

So a private jet would take 6 hours ? So you think flying to Vegas and visiting a recruit for a few hours, then flying back to Lexington is really that difficult ? Lets just leave it where it is and see if what i say happens or they will be in Vegas for 2 days and visit with no one like you say. No need going back and forth on something we don't know. My theory is a lot more likely than yours, but we will wait and find out. LOL, players, coaches, hell even pilots, are used to hectic travel, a trip to Vegas and back in one day is nothing out of the ordinary for someone who flies as part of their living. By the way, you say lose time coming back, do they not gain it going out to Vegas ?
Well, it's a 5 hour flight, even private.

Say if they left at 7am est. They puts then in Vegas around 12 est. If they spend 2 hrs, that's 2pm est. So that gets them back in Lex around 7pm. That's if no delays, bad weather or so forth. There is also travel time from and to the airport. So, no, that's a horrible idea to have recruits scheduled for visits later tonight.

I never said they would be in Vegas 2 days and visit with no one! Why make up lies?

Lol, what theory?

No, it still takes 5 hrs to fly there. Getting there when it's earlier in Vegas time doesn't prevent you from losing it on the return trip. 🤣

Matt Jones just said that UK lost a big time guy who was coming here because the info got out and another school swooped in and paid him more.

Also said a player who we were big on is not visiting any longer

Any guesses on either?
This is big boy stuff. You can't worry about players names "Getting out"-that's an excuse. If you lose a player, work harder.

I think this is KSR making an excuse and not Pope and company but Kentucky has roster availability and supposedly more NIL $ then at any time--if you can't sell someone, work harder and get it done.

Confident in Pope/Staff but just because Jones is on good terms with new staff-this type of crap doesn't get a pass. If that's true, best that Jones and crew keep that quiet because it doesn't make the new regime look good at all.

Probably has nothing to do with it, but accord to the 247Sports Portal, here's the only 2 obvious guys that make sense based on colleges in the Vegas vicinity:

Shane Nowell, UNLV: 6'5 SG junior: Top 100 recruit that committed to Arizona, transferred to UNLV after freshman season and has 2 seasons at UNLV. But NOT any kind of main player at all. Only started 4 games, only averaged 10 mins per game

Jazz Gardner, Nevada: 7'0 C, freshman: 4-star recruit, was the MVP of the Iverson classic (26 pts, 22 rebs, 5 blocks) but didn't do jack squat at Nevada. 20 mins per gam, 2 pts and 2 rebs

So, with all that said - I feel pretty confident the UK staff is NOT in Vegas recruiting a player currently playing college basketball in the state of Nevada - which I'm sure doesn't really help us out at all in re: to figuring out what's going on in Vegas!

This is big boy stuff. You can't worry about players names "Getting out"-that's an excuse. If you lose a player, work harder.

I think this is KSR making an excuse and not Pope and company but Kentucky has roster availability and supposedly more NIL $ then at any time--if you can't sell someone, work harder and get it done.

Confident in Pope/Staff but just because Jones is on good terms with new staff-this type of crap doesn't get a pass. If that's true, best that Jones and crew keep that quiet because it doesn't make the new regime look good at all.

I think Jones just said that to cover his own ass. It allows him to continue to not have any real information but act like he does. He can say “I didn’t say what I knew till everyone else knew it because I didn’t want to scare the kid off”

• Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I think Jones just said that to cover his own ass. It allows him to continue to not have any real information but act like he does. He can say “I didn’t say what I knew till everyone else knew it because I didn’t want to scare the kid off”
That makes a lot more sense-and great point Wonky.

Reactions: Fox2monk

I disagree now days. In years past keeping quiet would be a punk move, yes. If you offer a kid an amount and it's made public he's coming, someone comes in and doubles it last min, how is that bad on the coaching staff. If they don't have a chance when the kid changes his mind , how can they work harder to get it done? The truth is nobody knows how this recruiting garbage goes these days

Reactions: cat_in_the_hat
I disagree now days. In years past keeping quiet would be a punk move, yes. If you offer a kid an amount and it's made public he's coming, someone comes in and doubles it last min, how is that bad on the coaching staff. If they don't have a chance when the kid changes his mind , how can they work harder to get it done? The truth is nobody knows how this recruiting garbage goes these days
Jeremy Roach was going in the Portal. That was known for months. Kentucky's involvement--if you are going to enter a recruitment and can't bid with someone then you are needing to fix your own issues because you have playing time, $ (supposedly) and everything else to offer a player. It's recruiting. Get into the fight.

Now if you want to operate under "We want players who want to be part of this and not just go to highest bidder" that is 100% acceptable/understandable but when the highest bidder is a contending program who has done more in the NCAA's recently then Kentucky-then it's a bad look. So Cats are 1/3 from Baylor--can't get their HC or win a recruiting battle but took Brooks.

Big boys let it be known they are going to recruit and if you want someone bad enough, get it done. The one thing Calipari got was an NIL "Discount" because camps knew he'd get them to NBA and produced that result so willing to take less in short to make more in long. Pope hasn't proven that at all-but the NIL set up should've been better for him/built in and these are things that an AD who was slow to embrace the era we're in would've helped plan for.

And to clarify--I'm saying it's soft/punk move to excuse losing out on recruits--not share what you offer NIL wise-but this "when the Kentucky name got out-others bid more" is a ****ing joke and excuse made by fans who should be furious if that's the case because fanbase is unified for the first time in over a decade and the "poor me" approach is for losers.

Jeremy Roach was going in the Portal. That was known for months. Kentucky's involvement--if you are going to enter a recruitment and can't bid with someone then you are needing to fix your own issues because you have playing time, $ (supposedly) and everything else to offer a player. It's recruiting. Get into the fight.

Now if you want to operate under "We want players who want to be part of this and not just go to highest bidder" that is 100% acceptable/understandable but when the highest bidder is a contending program who has done more in the NCAA's recently then Kentucky-then it's a bad look. So Cats are 1/3 from Baylor--can't get their HC or win a recruiting battle but took Brooks.

Big boys let it be known they are going to recruit and if you want someone bad enough, get it done. The one thing Calipari got was an NIL "Discount" because camps knew he'd get them to NBA and produced that result so willing to take less in short to make more in long. Pope hasn't proven that at all-but the NIL set up should've been better for him/built in and these are things that an AD who was slow to embrace the era we're in would've helped plan for.

And to clarify--I'm saying it's soft/punk move to excuse losing out on recruits--not share what you offer NIL wise-but this "when the Kentucky name got out-others bid more" is a ****ing joke and excuse made by fans who should be furious if that's the case because fanbase is unified for the first time in over a decade and the "poor me" approach is for losers.
Ralph you are one of the most reasonable posters on here, are you concerned yet about how our recruiting efforts are going to turn out ?

Say if they left at 7am est. They puts then in Vegas around 12 est. If they spend 2 hrs, that's 2pm est. So that gets them back in Lex around 7pm. That's if no delays, bad weather or so forth. There is also travel time from and to the airport. So, no, that's a horrible idea to have recruits scheduled for visits later tonight.

I never said they would be in Vegas 2 days and visit with no one! Why make up lies?

Lol, what theory?

No, it still takes 5 hrs to fly there. Getting there when it's earlier in Vegas time doesn't prevent you from losing it on the return trip. 🤣
5 hours ? Try 3:30-4. Like I said, no nee going back and forth, we will see in the end. So no need posting back, i will skip right over it. Then when I prove I was right, WE will address this thread again. No need going over and over the same points of emphasis. Just wait for the outcome.

Ralph you are one of the most reasonable posters on here, are you concerned yet about how our recruiting efforts are going to turn out ?
I am not concerned yet--there is time and when Portal closes on May 1st--we know the pool available.

I'm not upset or worried about Pope/Staff-they just got together and are working.

Just refuse to accept lying and BS coming from media mouth pieces who don't have info and lead the fans on as if they do. That's BS to do to people. Especially when they spout off and celebrate things that most fans who follow the program knew in advance as if they broke some news and if they are wrong--play both ends as if they knew but couldn't say.

The amount of things that are told in recruiting is gossip like any other field of interest. For every correct piece of info--there will be 10 different spins and "keep an eye on...." which is why people who actually have info sit on it until they clearly have a story to tell and are cleared to tell it from source. Otherwise you just say "I don't know"-which is fine and better than lying to fans and making up stories.

Also---there is nobody out there who knows everyone. Even with recruiting on a staff--they have coaches with great contacts but you want guys who know various people and different people-not a staff who knows the same and it's why Pope built a strong staff IMO. But these media guys act like everyone knows everyone and can get any piece of info on any recruit by placing a call...that's bull****.

Exactly. It isn't like UK is the only one operating under current conditions.

Other people are getting it done. Now it's reasonable if we can't hit a home run with this year's roster due to timing. If that's it, then fine say that. Don't act like it's a rain cloud is following just us. Because otherwise it sure feels like someone is just running pr for an ad that mishandled a serious process and put us behind an 8 ball for this season.

Exactly. It isn't like UK is the only one operating under current conditions.

Other people are getting it done. Now it's reasonable if we can't hit a home run with this year's roster due to timing. If that's it, then fine say that. Don't act like it's a rain cloud is following just us. Because otherwise it sure feels like someone is just running pr for an ad that mishandled a serious process and put us behind an 8 ball for this season.
I'll throw this out again--your AD and Athletic Dept are also huge factors in holding things together.

Can you imagine being in the situation that Alabama FB was in when Saban retired after the Portal had closed and recruiting was in a dead period? Their entire roster had a month to be recruited/leave and the new coach had to build a staff, recruit his own players--recruit HS players because you had biggest player in the state decommit from them and have to recruit him as DeBoer was told on plane from Seattle to Tuscaloosa by Greg Byrne the AD---who while having to replace the greatest CFB Coach of all time also had time to make sure his Basketball coach got extended and protected from being poached.

Amazing what a great AD can do in transition to help the program. We've got a guy who quotes Jefferson Airplane and was impressed guys who didn't have interest in playing for Pope at BYU are calling him to come to Kentucky.

Administrations do help win championships--Cal isn't wrong and 50% of the problem is in Fayetteville now--so the other 50% is front and center. He was late to embrace NIL and now UK is playing catch up for a new Coach who fans are unified in supporting. This is what happens when grown men's pissing contests are put ahead of the success of the program and what's best for the University, it's athletes, and the fans.

Well said. Not only does this happen in sports/recruiting but with political-social media, too. These people in the media (sports fans, podcasts, YouTubers) make money off of getting people to watch their content. There is a fine line between hearty discussion about whatever subject (knock yourself out) and flat out lying and cajoling people for clicks and view time. Fans eat it up because they are desperate for information, and it only leads to disappointment.

I make it a habit of calling almost everything BS until it is official. None of us have a real clue as to what's happening out there. It's all just speculation. Clean the garage, hit the gym... anything but let yourself get stressed out. Take care of yourselves, guys.
I am not concerned yet--there is time and when Portal closes on May 1st--we know the pool available.

I'm not upset or worried about Pope/Staff-they just got together and are working.

Just refuse to accept lying and BS coming from media mouth pieces who don't have info and lead the fans on as if they do. That's BS to do to people. Especially when they spout off and celebrate things that most fans who follow the program knew in advance as if they broke some news and if they are wrong--play both ends as if they knew but couldn't say.

The amount of things that are told in recruiting is gossip like any other field of interest. For every correct piece of info--there will be 10 different spins and "keep an eye on...." which is why people who actually have info sit on it until they clearly have a story to tell and are cleared to tell it from source. Otherwise you just say "I don't know"-which is fine and better than lying to fans and making up stories.

Also---there is nobody out there who knows everyone. Even with recruiting on a staff--they have coaches with great contacts but you want guys who know various people and different people-not a staff who knows the same and it's why Pope built a strong staff IMO. But these media guys act like everyone knows everyone and can get any piece of info on any recruit by placing a call...that's bull****.

Looked up Ignite just now and noticed they moved to Nevada for their final few games. Any chance Hart comes back on the jet with the rest of the coaches after the group meets up with a recruit? We only saw three guys on that in-cabin picture.

Reactions: BassProCat
Well said. Not only does this happen in sports/recruiting but with political-social videos, too. These people in the media (sports fans, podcasts, YouTubers) make money off of getting people to watch their content. There is a fine line between hearty discussion about whatever subject (knock yourself out) and flat out lying and cajoling people for clicks and view time. Fans eat it up because they are desperate for information, and it only leads to disappointment.

I make it a habit of calling almost everything BS until it is official. None of us have a real clue as to what's happening out there. It's all just speculation. Clean the garage, hit the gym... anything but let yourself get stressed out. Take care of yourselves, guys.
Nailed it. Also--there is no "MY TRUTH"-there's THE TRUTH. That's it. Yes the world is pretty f***ing black and white in so many ways. There's the truth and there's a lie. It's only a lie if you know you are making things up and selling it as a true story.

There's nothing bad about being incorrect about something as trivial as CBB recruiting or team news. That's fine. But so many won't admit they were wrong and will challenge people who are telling the truth because they have an image to protect or sickly are profiting off lying.

5 hours ? Try 3:30-4. Like I said, no nee going back and forth, we will see in the end. So no need posting back, i will skip right over it. Then when I prove I was right, WE will address this thread again. No need going over and over the same points of emphasis. Just wait for the outcome.
Lol, 3.30 hrs? 🤣 Sure, bud!

What are we going to see? What are you going to be right about?

You seem a bit angry.

Lol, what theory?

I flew commercial from Louisville to Las Vegas and it took about 3 hours and 45 minutes. Most times it’s around 4 hours.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I flew commercial from Louisville to Las Vegas and it took about 3 hours and 45 minutes. Most times it’s around 4 hours.
Should also be noted that the plane will have nice tailwinds on the flight back. Should shave a non-insignificant amount of time off the flight.

Thanks, Coriolis Force!

Reactions: Fox2monk
Looked up Ignite just now and noticed they moved to Nevada for their final few games. Any chance Hart comes back on the jet with the rest of the coaches after the group meets up with a recruit? We only saw three guys on that in-cabin picture.
One of the jokes many people were making about Silver starting up "Ignite" was their location in CA originally. These guys were making modest $ to have to pay CA taxes. Like to think a Commissioner would have had some vision for that but they had to adjust and move their games so the players could actually retain their $.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT