ADVERTISEMENT

Upon further review...Cats had a shot yesterday

UKErik

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
For some insane reason, the first thing I wanted to do this morning was watch the UK/UGA replay. Unfortunately, the score didn't change (LOL). I'll say this though...if UK wasn't UK's own worst enemy, they might have had a shot yesterday. A few thoughts;

*Late in the 3rd quarter, UK trailed 28-13. They had the football at midfield. At that moment, UK had only been outgained 297-259. UGA had scored on four of seven possessions. UK had scored on three of seven. Not an even game, but far from a beating.

*Of course, this is when the Bowden interception happened. After that turnover, Georgia absolutely dominated.

*Missed opportunities really hurt the Cats. Three plays (among many) that really standout...the roughing the punter penalty, the over throw down the sideline to Charles Walker (he was 2-3 yards behind his defender), and the under throw/drop on the last possession of the first half. Those three errors cost Kentucky 13-17 points.

*Missed tackles. Georgia has two of the best backs in college football. Bringing those dudes down has to be a bitch (especially one-on-one). With that being said, there were MULTIPLE long Georgia runs where Kentucky could/should have had a tackle for loss. Josh Allen REALLY had a tough day.

*Had UK finished off that drive (where Bowden tossed the INT) with a touchdown, they would pulled within 28-20. They also would have had around a 313-297 total yardage advantage with the 3rd quarter over or almost over. That's how huge that particular possession was. Even with the mistakes that I mentioned above, UK was still in the football game.

*Big picture, Kentucky has to get better at the point of attack, especially on defense. They battled their asses off. They played well enough to keep UK in the football game for three quarters. As usual though, UK needs more DL depth and talent. And I still like the idea of having a 4th 280+ pounder out there vs. the hybrid DE/LB. UGA's tackles MAULED our LB's over and over yesterday.

*The interior of the OL played VERY WELL at times. The tackles, they played a little better than I originally thought, but they still get killed when DE's can just pin their ears back without concern for the run.

*God bless Stephen Johnson for what he's done for UK football. With that being said, we need a difference maker at QB. Johnson is a tough guy. He's a winner. He's not a guy that's going to play four quarters of consistent football though.

*Benny Snell. That dude has no quit in him at all.

GBB!!!

Great post'
UK played better than the score indicated.
Senior night, just lost their #1 ranking last week, lots of motivation for the dawgs.

UK was still in the game late in the 3rd quarter.
Proud of the effort. In years past it would have been 30-0 at half.
Georgia was just a better team. But the gap is being closed by Stoops and staff.

UK doesn't have to stop Jackson. Nobody really stops Jackson. They just have to hold U of L under 35 or so points. UK should be able to score a bunch against that defense.

GBB!!!

Reactions: cat888
And two drives to the red zone we only got fgs early. Convert just one of those for a td and game also looks different. Instead of down 7-6. Looking at up ten. Both had a chance for a td but ball (although not an easy throw) was just a tad high to TE.

kev69, so true man. I think UK could win a game in the 40's. Both offenses are going to absolutely roll next week IMO. It'll probably come down to whoever gets the ball last.

GBB!!!

Reactions: cat888
Those saying we can't stop Lamar is partly true. But the best way to stop him his him holding the helmet on the sideline. We don't need to get in a shootout. We need to keep the d off the field and convert long time consuming drives.

That makes a player like Lamar struggle to get in a rythem. That's key. We need 7-10 play TOUCHDOWN drives not FGs.

For some insane reason, the first thing I wanted to do this morning was watch the UK/UGA replay. Unfortunately, the score didn't change (LOL). I'll say this though...if UK wasn't UK's own worst enemy, they might have had a shot yesterday. A few thoughts;

*Late in the 3rd quarter, UK trailed 28-13. They had the football at midfield. At that moment, UK had only been outgained 297-259. UGA had scored on four of seven possessions. UK had scored on three of seven. Not an even game, but far from a beating.

*Of course, this is when the Bowden interception happened. After that turnover, Georgia absolutely dominated.

*Missed opportunities really hurt the Cats. Three plays (among many) that really standout...the roughing the punter penalty, the over throw down the sideline to Charles Walker (he was 2-3 yards behind his defender), and the under throw/drop on the last possession of the first half. Those three errors cost Kentucky 13-17 points.

*Missed tackles. Georgia has two of the best backs in college football. Bringing those dudes down has to be a bitch (especially one-on-one). With that being said, there were MULTIPLE long Georgia runs where Kentucky could/should have had a tackle for loss. Josh Allen REALLY had a tough day.

*Had UK finished off that drive (where Bowden tossed the INT) with a touchdown, they would pulled within 28-20. They also would have had around a 313-297 total yardage advantage with the 3rd quarter over or almost over. That's how huge that particular possession was. Even with the mistakes that I mentioned above, UK was still in the football game.

*Big picture, Kentucky has to get better at the point of attack, especially on defense. They battled their asses off. They played well enough to keep UK in the football game for three quarters. As usual though, UK needs more DL depth and talent. And I still like the idea of having a 4th 280+ pounder out there vs. the hybrid DE/LB. UGA's tackles MAULED our LB's over and over yesterday.

*The interior of the OL played VERY WELL at times. The tackles, they played a little better than I originally thought, but they still get killed when DE's can just pin their ears back without concern for the run.

*God bless Stephen Johnson for what he's done for UK football. With that being said, we need a difference maker at QB. Johnson is a tough guy. He's a winner. He's not a guy that's going to play four quarters of consistent football though.

GBB!!!
Call me crazy, but I don't think this kind of 2nd guessing after the fact changes anything or helps fans cope. But I certainly agree with you about SJ and Benny.

What second guessing? Basically, I was just reviewing the game and highlighting the importance of the 3rd quarter possession where UK threw a pick.

Everyone is different though. People that need to "cope" might be better off taking a few days off from football talk. I have no idea. I just thought it was interesting that had UK finished off that drive with six, the narrative about yesterday would have been much different (and maybe even the outcome).

GBB!!!

GBB!!!

Totally agree with everything you said. After sleeping on it, i was actually encouraged. We were a few correctable mental mistakes away from being in position to win.

Also Benny cant get enough praise. He may be the hardest runner ive seen in my lifetime at any level. Insane level of effort on those runs after the game was out of reach.

By the time he leaves, his records will put things so out of reach theyll never be broken. Thats a fact about his time at UK. Its looking all but certain in terms of some sec records as well.

What second guessing? Basically, I was just reviewing the game and highlighting the importance of the 3rd quarter possession where UK threw a pick.

Everyone is different though. People that need to "cope" might be better off taking a few days off from football talk. I have no idea. I just thought it was interesting that had UK finished off that drive with six, the narrative about yesterday would have been much different (and maybe even the outcome).

GBB!!!
I'm sure everyone is disappointed today, but we can't change the outcome. Better to look ahead. That's what you do best.

UK doesn't have to stop Jackson. Nobody really stops Jackson. They just have to hold U of L under 35 or so points. UK should be able to score a bunch against that defense.

GBB!!!
UK has to play a clean game, no mistakes, missed receivers/drops/fumbles etc. UK's D puts tremendous pressure on the O, that's not going to change.

GBB!!!

You can say that about most of Stoops tenure. If so and so would have caught that ball, hit the other hole, not dropped that INT, had enough men on the field, not left WR totally uncovered on multiple occasions. Truthfully in most games execution is the difference between winning and losing.

Our poor execution is a direct reflection of the staff and it starts with our HC. They’ve had enough time and are coaching the kids Stoops selected.

Though I HATE our conservative O, that’s expected when your HC is a lifelong DC. But to have this joke of a defense this late in the game is unexceptable. The snafus with assignments, poor scheming, bad secondary, etc.

Reactions: Jazzycat
You can say that about most of Stoops tenure. If so and so would have caught that ball, hit the other hole, not dropped that INT, had enough men on the field, not left WR totally uncovered on multiple occasions. Truthfully in most games execution is the difference between winning and losing.

Our poor execution is a direct reflection of the staff and it starts with our HC. They’ve had enough time and are coaching the kids Stoops selected.
Nobody is satisfied after a loss. As Stoops already acknowledged, our play yesterday could have been a lot better. It should be pointed out that Stoops just got another extension and will be coaching our football team for a long time to come. A recent poll of thousands of UK football fans on SEC Country.com showed more than 75% of UK fans approve or strongly approve of Stoops' performance as our football coach. Some vocal dissenters hang out here on this board. But if Stoops keeps recruiting strong classes and producing bowl teams, they will have to adapt or else exist in a shrinking minority.

Last edited:
UIKEYINPUTRIGHTARROWUIKeyInputRightArrow

Nobody is satisfied after a loss. As Stoops already acknowledged, our play yesterday could have been a lot better. It should be pointed out that Stoops just got another extension and will be coaching our football team for a long time to come. A recent poll of thousands of UK football fans on SEC Country.com showed more than 75% of UK fans approve or strongly approve of Stoops' performance as our football coach. Some vocal dissenters hang out here on this board. But if Stoops keeps recruiting strong classes and producing bowl teams, they will have to adapt or else exist in a shrinking minority.
I think you delude yourself if you think that the vocal dissenters will shrink in numbers or tenacity, regardless of our recruiting or record.

UIKEYINPUTRIGHTARROWUIKeyInputRightArrow

Again, people need to understand that SEC schools didn't stop recruiting good players because UK finally decided to do so. Many SEC programs have had long, established recruiting areas. UK is a fledgling at this because of decades long neglect.

I think you delude yourself if you think that the vocal dissenters will shrink in numbers or tenacity, regardless of our recruiting or record.
Time will tell who is deluding themselves. It is very interesting that you say some will be dissenters "regardless of our recruiting or record".

Very few expected an upset yesterday. Many of us expected a closer score. I honestly feel our coaches called a decent game. It was player mistakes like big penalties, missed passes, missed tackles, etc. that cost us way more than play calling. And of course the usual replay official who is blind. Hopefully, we won't have as many of these mistakes next week.

Where did I say people are satisfied? I was just pointing out how we’ve had a lot of small and large issues in practically every game similar to the ones Erik is pointing out. It’s abouf execution and we are not good at it.

I know we are stuck with Stoops for a while longer, in part due to the ridiculous extra year clause in his contract (thanks, Barney). I’m just hoping he can continue to recruit well abs build the roster so that next coach has done real talent to work with.

GBB!!!

Sirmon’s short tenure at Mississippi State essentially ended the night he cost MSU a win in Lexington. In other words, he was Stooped. The guy must interview well because he can’t coach a lick. I see UK scoring 42 on Saturday.

Very few expected an upset yesterday. Many of us expected a closer score. I honestly feel our coaches called a decent game. It was player mistakes like big penalties, missed passes, missed tackles, etc. that cost us way more than play calling. And of course the usual replay official who is blind. Hopefully, we won't have as many of these mistakes next week.

Nice job throwing the amateurs under the bus.

A recent poll on SEC Country? HaHaHa. That’s something to hang your hat on.

Where did I say people are satisfied? I was just pointing out how we’ve had a lot of small and large issues in practically every game similar to the ones Erik is pointing out. It’s abouf execution and we are not good at it.

I know we are stuck with Stoops for a while longer, in part due to the ridiculous extra year clause in his contract (thanks, Barney). I’m just hoping he can continue to recruit well abs build the roster so that next coach has done real talent to work with.
There will not be a "next coach" here for at least 5 years unless Stoops gets hired away by another school. The idea that we would have beaten Georgia yesterday with "better execution" is kind of like saying fewer Titanic passengers would have died if the water wasn't so cold. We were a 3 touchdown underdog yesterday for a reason. People can wish all they want that patience isn't necessary, but that isn't how the world works. We have an improving football program, but Georgia is the nation's #7 team. When you are playing a team that is physically better and deeper, execution suffers as fatigue sets in. But if some people are just going to view every loss during a bowl season as an opportunity to blast our coach, then stating the obvious won't stop them.

There will not be a "next coach" here for at least 5 years unless Stoops gets hired away by another school. The idea that we would have beaten Georgia yesterday with "better execution" is kind of like saying fewer Titanic passengers would have died if the water wasn't so cold. We were a 3 touchdown underdog yesterday for a reason. People can wish all they want that patience isn't necessary, but that isn't how the world works. We have an improving football program, but Georgia is the nation's #7 team. When you are playing a team that is physically better and deeper, execution suffers as fatigue sets in. But if some people are just going to view every loss during a bowl season as an opportunity to blast our coach, then stating the obvious won't stop them.

The fact that so many in this fanbase consider a “bowl season” successful is more evidence why UK is such a good job. There will be 78 FBS teams that play in bowls this year - out of 129. If you coach in the SEC Least and DON’T make a bowl, you better brush off your resume unless you coach at UK or Vandy.

kev69, so true man. I think UK could win a game in the 40's. Both offenses are going to absolutely roll next week IMO. It'll probably come down to whoever gets the ball last.

Turnovers could, again, be key.

GBB!!!

But if some people are just going to view every loss during a bowl season as an opportunity to blast our coach, then stating the obvious won't stop them.

Here's more "obvious." We have played Georgia rotating home-and-home, for 50 (plus years).

We have won two games, there, in my 54 year lifetime: 1977 and 2009.

We played competitively for at least a half between the hedges. . . . and unfortunately, I can count on one hand the last 45 years that I could say even that.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Well, this makes me feel a lot better.

Still don't see how our defense is going to stop Louisville from scoring next Saturday.

Good post.

This game will likely look similar to Ole Miss this year, or last years Louisville game.

Hopefully we have the ball last.

GBB!!!
You don't seem to be getting the, "Messenger" from blue decade.

KY needs a difference maker at QB, a true 4-3 scheme, better coaches all around on defense, and another Marrow who can recruit higher caliber Dlineman. Only then will KY take the next step in the SEC. If they could not do it with this schedule not sure they ever will.

The fact that so many in this fanbase consider a “bowl season” successful is more evidence why UK is such a good job. There will be 78 FBS teams that play in bowls this year - out of 129. If you coach in the SEC Least and DON’T make a bowl, you better brush off your resume unless you coach at UK or Vandy.
You are just trying to start something. Definition of trolling.

If some of us are unfortunately correct and the wheels fall off next year with the attrition of key players, combined with the SEC east reverting back to form, we won’t have 5 years of Stoops left - unless empty seats is what Barney values.

With that said, you missed the point again. I didn’t expect us to win. I was stating most of what Erik was saying revolves around execution and that, along fundamentals, has not been a strong suit under this regime.

Our coach has only proved one thing - he’s a better recruiter than his predecessors. He hasn’t been great at developing talent, his game management is very questionable, the team preparedness and game planning often leaves us scratching our heads and his inability to at least have his defense fundamentally sound by this juncture in his tenure is baffling.

I’m a glass half full guy who was “all in” until he beginning of last year when I expected to see Stoops grow as a coach and leader. Making the same blunders with the same excuses have me realizing he’s not the long term answer.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Pretty simple, it's better to go to a bowl than not. The number of bowls/teams is irrelevant.

THANKS ERIK. GOING BOWLING is certainly an upgrade to not going Bowling. Someone the other day brought up the injury to Little On the 07 team season as excuse for the last part of that season. It made me think if The two players injured before this season don't get injured and one of the two players that was injured all season makes one more positive play in each the Old Miss game and the Florida game we would have had two more Wins and maybe yesterdays game would have been different.

KY needs a difference maker at QB, a true 4-3 scheme, better coaches all around on defense, and another Marrow who can recruit higher caliber Dlineman. Only then will KY take the next step in the SEC. If they could not do it with this schedule not sure they ever will.
As long as we have edge linebackers like Paschal, Wright, Peters on our team, we don't need to discuss a conversion to 4-3. That won't happen under this coach, and doesn't need to. But interior defense must improve, and that's supposed to be why Bohanna is starting and McCall is being brought here. Nobody is saying it, but run defense went downhill yesterday after Bohanna got hurt. SJ is a fine player who got us to this level. SJ isn't irreplaceable, but I don't know if the right replacement is here yet. I like what Clark offers, but is he ready? If they can sign Wilson, they are bringing him here to start. Either way, it will be an interesting spring.

ADVERTISEMENT