ADVERTISEMENT

Upon further review...Cats had a shot yesterday

We were manhandled.

The play we were upset about came with us down 28-13.

Yes, I would have loved to put together a TD drive there (similar to the one to start the second half) and pulled back within 8 points, but it didn’t happen.

We got destroyed on Saturday because we blew several opportunities to make big plays. Our margin of error was small.

We lost by 4 TDs and UGA went easy on us in the 4Q.

I haven't seen the TV version yet, but I was in Athens. The non-call early in the game, in which I thought it should have been pass interference on UGA (corner route/back of end zone) was huge. That happened right in front of us. I was going nuts, but the UGA folks didn't show the rep[lay on the video board. Imagine that. For those of you who've seen it on TV, what did you think? Was it interference? If we get that call, and we don't rough the puinter after we three-and-out'ed the Dawgs on their next possession, we have a lot of momentum going forward.

But I still don't think we'd ended up winning, even if we change those events. Our defense looked gassed in the second half. What looks like missed tackles, is a lot of times fatigue. Georgia's fresh RB's were running through our tired arms and legs. If we're up 14-7 early, I still think the second half goes as it did. The Dawgs are damn good. Might be better next year. Georgia fans thought Snell was fantastic, but the fans around me thought SJ was our weakness on offense. He's a great kid, with fantastic intangibles, but I just don't think he's more than an average QB. We have to get better at that position for this program to move forward, IMO.

Looked like a pretty clear PI. Danielson didn’t seem to care enough to comment.

For some insane reason, the first thing I wanted to do this morning was watch the UK/UGA replay. Unfortunately, the score didn't change (LOL). I'll say this though...if UK wasn't UK's own worst enemy, they might have had a shot yesterday. A few thoughts;

*Late in the 3rd quarter, UK trailed 28-13. They had the football at midfield. At that moment, UK had only been outgained 297-259. UGA had scored on four of seven possessions. UK had scored on three of seven. Not an even game, but far from a beating.

*Of course, this is when the Bowden interception happened. After that turnover, Georgia absolutely dominated.

*Missed opportunities really hurt the Cats. Three plays (among many) that really standout...the roughing the punter penalty, the over throw down the sideline to Charles Walker (he was 2-3 yards behind his defender), and the under throw/drop on the last possession of the first half. Those three errors cost Kentucky 13-17 points.

*Missed tackles. Georgia has two of the best backs in college football. Bringing those dudes down has to be a bitch (especially one-on-one). With that being said, there were MULTIPLE long Georgia runs where Kentucky could/should have had a tackle for loss. Josh Allen REALLY had a tough day.

*Had UK finished off that drive (where Bowden tossed the INT) with a touchdown, they would pulled within 28-20. They also would have had around a 313-297 total yardage advantage with the 3rd quarter over or almost over. That's how huge that particular possession was. Even with the mistakes that I mentioned above, UK was still in the football game.

*Big picture, Kentucky has to get better at the point of attack, especially on defense. They battled their asses off. They played well enough to keep UK in the football game for three quarters. As usual though, UK needs more DL depth and talent. And I still like the idea of having a 4th 280+ pounder out there vs. the hybrid DE/LB. UGA's tackles MAULED our LB's over and over yesterday.

*The interior of the OL played VERY WELL at times. The tackles, they played a little better than I originally thought, but they still get killed when DE's can just pin their ears back without concern for the run.

*God bless Stephen Johnson for what he's done for UK football. With that being said, we need a difference maker at QB. Johnson is a tough guy. He's a winner. He's not a guy that's going to play four quarters of consistent football though.

*Benny Snell. That dude has no quit in him at all.

GBB!!!

Seems as though Stoops coached teams most always choke in big games... they take the nervous identity of their head coach... we could have been in this game till the end and most definitely should have covered the spread. Was really painful to watch and sad to see.

Erik and I are usually pretty much in agreement but I think it is a bit of a stretch to go into any "coulda and shoulda" discussion here. Every game has couldas and shouldas. And yes, UK got some homey, benefit of the doubt calls early. But UK would have been trying to make those couldas and shouldas against one of the very best defenses in the country (#3 in scoring D; #4 in Total D).

I watched my recording on Sunday and, IMO, the Bulldogs owned this one from the get go. Sure, you want better but no real embarrassment here. Despite an incredibly run heavy offense the 'Dawgs are very, very good.

Peace

Reactions: jauk11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT