ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DePaul basketball...what a terrible program

bthaunert

All-American
Apr 4, 2007
For those of us a little older, we can remember when DePaul was good in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Look at heir record since joining the Big East in 2005:

2023/24: 3-27
2022/23: 10-23
2021/22: 15-16
2020/21: 5-14
2019/20: 16-16
2018/19: 19-17
2017/18: 11-20
2016/17: 9-23
2015/16: 9-22
2014/15: 12-20
2013/14: 12-21
2012/13: 11-21
2011/12: 12-19
2010/11: 7-24
2009/10: 8-23
2008/09: 9-24
2007/08: 11-19
2006/07: 20-14
2005/06: 12-15

2 winning records over the last 19 seasons
3 or less conference wins in 12 of the 19 seasons

It's crazy how bad their program is now.

Kids don't want to stay in Chicago. I think this might be cultural. Get away from crime and the inner city.

https://psf.app/ncaa/what-happened-to-depaul-basketball?format=amp

Dwayne Peevy is there
DePaul is a beautiful campus in a really cool area of Chicago. As far as inner-city schools go, it's a pretty nice location. The budget thing is obviously an issue. Just crazy that they are that bad.

Dwayne made a bad hire with Stubblefield..he was a bump on a log at Oregon. Peavy is also not the most well liked guy on campus either. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

DePaul is a beautiful campus in a really cool area of Chicago. As far as inner-city schools go, it's a pretty nice location. The budget thing is obviously an issue. Just crazy that they are that bad.

Dwayne made a bad hire with Stubblefield..he was a bump on a log at Oregon. Peavy is also not the most well liked guy on campus either. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.
You still can stay attached to who you grew up with as opposed to going to IU or UK.

I don't think DePaul's neighborhood qualifies as inner-city. It's not suburban, sure, but it's a great area of town. Neighborhoods: the great thing about Chicago.

I don't think DePaul's neighborhood qualifies as inner-city. It's not suburban, sure, but it's a great area of town. Neighborhoods: the great thing about Chicago.
I agree. I was just at DePaul a few months ago for a couple of days. Seems like a great spot for a college kid.

DePaul is in a great location. We went on a campus visit a few years ago to the University of Chicago, and went over to DePaul while we were there. I ended up liking DePaul much better.

Reactions: bthaunert
Well DePaul may have a very Bad basketball program because they only won 3 games this year....HOWEVER THEY BEAT LOUISVILLE. SO THEY AINT THE WORSE.

Matt's also really good friends with Peavy, so that doesn't surprise me. He would be an absolute no for me, simply based on the fact he wasn't involved with football at UK and there is no football program at DePaul.
Only reason to hire him would be his background as assistant AD at UK, not what he's done as an actual AD. No different than UofL hiring Kenny

Reactions: catben
Sorta like being 9-16 once upon a time. Other than UL we shouldn't run any other program down. We aren't getting the mileage out of ours that we should be getting

Reactions: NociHTTP
Sorta like being 9-16 once upon a time. Other than UL we shouldn't run any other program down. We aren't getting the mileage out of ours that we should be getting

C’mon man. That was a singular season with extenuating circumstances.

Comparing one bad season and three missed tournaments (09, 13, 21) with two whole decades of failing to win 20 games seems like a biiiiit of reach.

C’mon man. That was a singular season with extenuating circumstances.

Comparing one bad season and three missed tournaments (09, 13, 21) with two whole decades of failing to win 20 games seems like a biiiiit of reach.
They have their own bar to reach. We haven't been reaching ours in quite some. That's why we shouldn't talk.

Reactions: docholiday51
Have not been relevant since Ray Meyer retired his son tried to sustain but epoch fail

OP, I was thinking the same thing as Pitino's Johnnies put a beat down on them last night. You have to believe eventually they'll find the right coach that can at least make them competitive. They seem to have good facilities and you'd think a strong pool of talent to work with. Kinda like St Louis U.

Rumor is that they want to Bobby Hurley for this job. He's had struggles at Arizona State, though.

I turned the st j/depaul game on last night with 12:30 left in the 2d half and stj was up 80-43. i thought they might hang 150 on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT