ADVERTISEMENT

UNC will not receive punishment from NCAA

Maybe my memory has failed me but didn't the NCAA look into Eric Bledsoe and a math class he had in high school to determine if it was a legit grade? If so why do they concern themselves with High School classes and grades but not college classes? I thought the C in NCAA stood for Collegiate.

It's because there are, for lack of a better word, "jurisdictional" differences between initial eligibility and on-going academic eligibility once you become a student athlete.

The NCAA certifies initial eligibility through the clearinghouse. The schools certify an athlete's on-going eligibility after they've enrolled.

This may seem like a minor detail, but it's actually a significant nuance. It comes back to fact that the NCAA will not involve itself in purely academic issues. That is the left to the member institutions who are free to develop curriculum as they see fit, provided they adhere to the principle of sound academic standards (By-law 2.5).

I can only imagine if UNC gets away with this that the number of easy classes on campus that are available to athletes and a few other students will pick up drastically at all schools. The days of kids being academically ineligible are gone.

The basis for my thesis is mainly based on previous NCAA decisions. Today changed my thoughts some, but I want to see the banners come down before I believe too much.

Allegations against UNC are a no brainer to me. They even acknowledge embarrassment over the classes.

Scope of NCAA Authority - I'm saying this is the sticky point. Please hear me when I say Cunningham's argument, "We know these were sham classes, but the quality of classes is not a NCAA issue." is very close to the "I was drunk, so it's not my fault" defense. It's a joke. Everyone knows they're guilty. I'm just not certain NCAA wins that argument.

I'll celebrate with everyone else if I'm wrong.

Calling it a night. Peace!
Again, for the last time, the NCAA isn't adjudicating the quality of classes. They deemed the classes, and the help of advisers in getting athletes into these classes, to be impermissible benefits. It is irrelevant that collaterally, the general student body also took the classes. That was for camouflage and an unexpected action by the fraternity sector. No one. Not a single person. Not the NCAA. Nobody. No one is making a decision on the quality of these classes. Can you simply understand that basic point.

Reactions: TM2013
When I'm referring to them there will always be an asterisk to remind people they are cheaters and will always be known as such. Now hopefully the NCAA will really lay the wood to North Carolina*

Reactions: TM2013
I find it amazing that after months and months and months of discussion, some posters still are completely clueless of the issues. I guess if someone buries his head in the sand long enough....

That is why we have some many morons in the White House

Again, for the last time, the NCAA isn't adjudicating the quality of classes. They deemed the classes, and the help of advisers in getting athletes into these classes, to be impermissible benefits. It is irrelevant that collaterally, the general student body also took the classes. That was for camouflage and an unexpected action by the fraternity sector. No one. Not a single person. Not the NCAA. Nobody. No one is making a decision on the quality of these classes. Can you simply understand that basic point.

Like you, I hope this is for the last time. Your basic point is to explain to me the details of the NCAA's Notice of Allegation. Anyone with basic reading skills understands the charges. I have also said (repeatedly) that anyone with common sense knows UNC is guilty as charged. They cheated. It was long term and systematic.

My OP gave the reasons why I expect a specific outcome from the NCAA. It may be more than a slap, but I don't think they'll be removing banners. I simply stated a few reasons for thinking this will be the case. Here are a few reasons, which are listed in this thread, I have for the expected outcome.

NCAA can't punish an academic program for athletes taking classes that the university approved. Other schools know that a sham was created. But, they'll not stand by if NCAA tries to step into "what schools should and should not teach." No one wants the Indy group to have that much authority.

They let it go on too long. It involved basketball, football other sports including Olympic sports. How many games, individual matches and competitions do you think they'll make them vacate? They can't punish team sports and not punish individual sports of people who attended a class​

These reasons, along with others, are why I expect a certain outcome.

I agree with you 100% on what the NCAA has said they're doing. I agree with you 100% on what UNC deserves.

We have a different expectation of what will actually happen. Other posters (actually a moderator) said, "you just repeat your same statement." Duh, I haven't changed my prediction. Does not changing my expectation make me clueless or a closet UNC fan?

Seriously, peace to you my friend. We both want to see our Cats do well. I just read today, "We want to judge others on their actions and judge ourselves on our intent." Internet chat rooms are a breeding ground for this principle. We all make assumptions about another person's intent.

I'll make my intent as clear as possible, and apologize if this intent was not clear from the beginning. I have no doubt that UNC is guilty of the biggest academic scandal in NCAA history. Yet, I expect the outcome will not lead to basketball banners coming down.

Many expect a different outcome, which I don't have a problem with. As stated in my OP and the dozens of others I've made in this thread, I will be surprised if the banners come down but I'll have a smile on my face if they do.

Like you, I hope this is for the last time. Your basic point is to explain to me the details of the NCAA's Notice of Allegation. Anyone with basic reading skills understands the charges. I have also said (repeatedly) that anyone with common sense knows UNC is guilty as charged. They cheated. It was long term and systematic.

My OP gave the reasons why I expect a specific outcome from the NCAA. It may be more than a slap, but I don't think they'll be removing banners. I simply stated a few reasons for thinking this will be the case. Here are a few reasons, which are listed in this thread, I have for the expected outcome.

NCAA can't punish an academic program for athletes taking classes that the university approved. Other schools know that a sham was created. But, they'll not stand by if NCAA tries to step into "what schools should and should not teach." No one wants the Indy group to have that much authority.

They let it go on too long. It involved basketball, football other sports including Olympic sports. How many games, individual matches and competitions do you think they'll make them vacate? They can't punish team sports and not punish individual sports of people who attended a class​

I agree with you 100% on what the NCAA has said they're doing. I agree with you 100% on what UNC deserves.

We have a different expectation of what will actually happen. Other posters (actually a moderator) said, "you just repeat your same statement." Duh, I haven't changed my prediction. Does not changing my expectation make me clueless or a closet UNC fan?

Seriously, peace to you my friend. We both want to see our Cats do well. I just read today, "We want to judge others on their actions and judge ourselves on our intent." Internet chat rooms are a breeding ground for this principle. We all make assumptions about another person's intent.

I'll make my intent as clear as possible, and apologize if this intent was not clear from the beginning. I have no doubt that UNC is guilty of the biggest academic scandal in NCAA history. Yet, I expect the outcome will not lead to basketball banners coming down.

Many expect a different outcome, which I don't have a problem with. As stated in my OP and the dozens of others I've made in this thread, I will be surprised if the banners come down but I'll have a smile on my face if they do.

First time I've read a good argument actually as to why banners will not come down.

The fact that the NCAA will not vacate that many wins because of all the sports involved and all the years.

Yes, the banners should be vacated but if they are, then so does like possibly 20 years worth of wins.... Do we think the NCAA will actually vacate that many wins over that many sports.... hmmm probably not, I never thought of it that way... wow.

So North Carolina cheated so bad .... they may not get the punishment because it would be too grand?

They honestly really do need the death penalty

First time I've read a good argument actually as to why banners will not come down.

The fact that the NCAA will not vacate that many wins because of all the sports involved and all the years.

Yes, the banners should be vacated but if they are, then so does like possibly 20 years worth of wins.... Do we think the NCAA will actually vacate that many wins over that many sports.... hmmm probably not, I never thought of it that way... wow.

So North Carolina cheated so bad .... they may not get the punishment because it would be too grand?

You're about to be accused of being a UNC fan ;- ) Prepare for the onslaught.

You're about to be accused of being a UNC fan ;- ) Prepare for the onslaught.

anybody who knows me, knows I only post on this board about how UNC** SHOULD be creamed.

I'm throwing away my fan card of NCAA sports if it doesn't happen, i'm prepared.

I'm pretty crazy nuts really... If UNC doesn't get harsh punishment i'm donating my UK gear and everything, I'll be done, the favorable treatment will be too much of a spit in the face for me to take.

I'm on the side that thinks UNC*** will not get punished harshly just because of their power, media power (Skipper), and money power ... heck this has been a 6 year saga since I found out about it ... SIX YEARS and Louisville has already got their punishment and it's been like not even 2 years. That tells alot right there.

Reactions: bballcat4

Here's the difference between your argument and bballcat's.

Your argument is based on speculation on your part that the COI will shy away from harsh penalties because it will be a daunting undertaking. I disagree based on the by-laws and prior cases, but you are certainly free to that opinion.

BBallcat's argument is based on the fact that, in his words, the NCAA can't punish athletes for taking a class that the university approved. The problem is that this rationale is nonsensical because this is not what the NCAA is trying to do.

The NCAA will punish UNC because UNC provided extra benefits to athletes that were not provided to general students. These include things like allowing athletics counselors to recommend assignments for students, register athletes for classes, request last minute additions to the university bulletin, obtain assignments for athletes, etc.

Many of these things that UNC did solely for the athletes, were also in direct violation of University policy. That is what got people at UNC fired.

Simply taking the class is not the issue when it comes to penalties. This has been made clear to BBall, but it would appear he's being deliberately obtuse.

Your argument is based on speculation on your part that the COI will shy away from harsh penalties because it will be a daunting undertaking. I disagree based on the by-laws and prior cases, but you are certainly free to that opinion.

BBallcat's argument is based on the fact that, in his words, the NCAA can't punish athletes for taking a class that the university approved. The problem is that this rationale is nonsensical because this is not what the NCAA is trying to do.

The NCAA will punish UNC because UNC provided extra benefits to athletes that were not provided to general students. These include things like allowing athletics counselors to recommend assignments for students, register athletes for classes, request last minute additions to the university bulletin, obtain assignments for athletes, etc.

Many of these things that UNC did solely for the athletes, were also in direct violation of University policy. That is what got people at UNC fired.

Simply taking the class is not the issue when it comes to penalties. This has been made clear to BBall, but it would appear he's being deliberately obtuse.

yes i lean towards he being a UNC*** troll, nobody would sit here and try to defend in this long of a thread for so long.

But yea, UNC*** steered players into these bogus classes with the agenda in mind it would boost gpa with an easy passing grade ... these athletes should be ineligible therefore.

Let's try this in short responses. Your primary reason to believe UNCheat wont get hammered is because they have no jurisdiction to rule on the validity of a class. Is that correct?

@UKnCincy I'm not trying to be obtuse. Today I read some of your posts from the thread you started about UNC. (I don't remember the thread title.) You made some excellent points and are obviously well versed in the NCAA -vs- UNC saga. I AGREE WITH YOU REGARDING WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN TO UNC!!!

I have simply stated my predicted outcome of the saga. You think I'm ignoring the facts, which I am not. I'm stating what I expect to happen. (Many regular posters are on record over the last few months of saying they think UNC "skates" on this issue.)

To the poster who thinks I'm a closet UNC fan because of length of this thread. I tried to end it last night and have only responded when my name was used. I don't have a problem with people who expect NCAA to severely punish UNC. Yet, many have a problem with someone who expects a different outcome and resort to name calling or questioning fan loyalty. I respect and read people's posts who have different opinions than mine. I laugh at the name callers and ones who accuse a person of not being a fan because they disagree with them. I'm sure many who resort to such weak tactics are writing from their mother's basement.

@UKnCincy I'm not trying to be obtuse. Today I read some of your posts from the thread you started about UNC. (I don't remember the thread title.) You made some excellent points and are obviously well versed in the NCAA -vs- UNC saga. I AGREE WITH YOU REGARDING WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN TO UNC!!!

I have simply stated my predicted outcome of the saga. You think I'm ignoring the facts, which I am not. I'm stating what I expect to happen. (Many regular posters are on record over the last few months of saying they think UNC "skates" on this issue.)

To the poster who thinks I'm a closet UNC fan because of length of this thread. I tried to end it last night and have only responded when my name was used. I don't have a problem with people who expect NCAA to severely punish UNC. Yet, many have a problem with someone who expects a different outcome and resort to name calling or questioning fan loyalty. I respect and read people's posts who have different opinions than mine. I laugh at the name callers and ones who accuse a person of not being a fan because they disagree with them. I'm sure many who resort to such weak tactics are writing from their mother's basement.

That's neat that you think UNC should be punished. However, it's irrelevant to my point and a distraction.

Further, I have not debated what you believe to be the outcome. I have highlighted that the underlying premise you use to support that conclusion is factually inaccurate. Which, by the way, you have been unable to refute.

Your only response has been to repeat "I think UNC should be punished" ad nauseam in an attempt to avoid having to defend your fundamental premise.

Your argument is a red herring that is supported by an untruth regarding the NCAA's process and authority.

Let's try this in short responses. Your primary reason to believe UNCheat wont get hammered is because they have no jurisdiction to rule on the validity of a class. Is that correct?

; -) Classic This will be fun.

First, I'm going off the grid for awhile. I'll check back later tonight or in the morning and will look for your reply.

Answer to your question. - I think NCAA HAS/HAD jurisdiction. Again, I'm making a prediction on expected outcome.

NCAA has fumbled the ball big time. Think about the scope of UNC's scam. How many years? ('93-'11) How many athletes? Here's the kicker - how many sports? Take basketball and football out of the equation for a moment. How many athletes of Olympic sports and other team sports took these classes?

Honest questions for you. Do you think they just target football and basketball? Do you expect all athletes and teams in this time frame to forfeit all wins?

That's neat that you think UNC should be punished. However, it's irrelevant to my point and a distraction.

Further, I have not debated what you believe to be the outcome. I have highlighted that the underlying premise you use to support that conclusion is factually inaccurate. Which, by the way, you have been unable to refute.

Your only response has been to repeat "I think UNC should be punished" ad nauseam in an attempt to avoid having to defend your fundamental premise.

Your argument is a red herring that is supported by an untruth regarding the NCAA's process and authority.

@UKnCincy - I don't know how many times to repeat that I'm only stating what I EXPECT the eventual outcome to be. I don't try to refute that you're facts are 100% correct. I agree with you.

We live in different worlds where you think facts are the only determining factor in what will be used to determine the outcome. I strongly believe UNC's banners will not come down. Most of it will play out behind closed doors and with mutual representatives striking a deal. NCAA will want to be seen as "taking a pound of flesh." UNC will want banners left up. A deal will be made that allows for both. I don't like it. But, please don't tell me I'm being obtuse, clueless, using a red herring, or spreading UNC propaganda because I think that's how it will play out.

Can we agree that we expect different outcomes based on different reasons?

yes i lean towards he being a UNC*** troll, nobody would sit here and try to defend in this long of a thread for so long.

But yea, UNC*** steered players into these bogus classes with the agenda in mind it would boost gpa with an easy passing grade ... these athletes should be ineligible therefore.

I won't even respond to him anymore because he has done this for the past 2 years in numerous threads. Each time, he changes his screen name and pretends to be a UK fan. His purpose is to set up an opportunity to gloat if UNC doesn't get hammered. That is his main agenda on this board.

If UNC gets hammered, as they should, he will disappear and never be seen again. He and RevHeels and uncfaninky will all some day be found on an island in the Pacific living in huts with Dean Smyth pictures hanging on the wall.

I won't even respond to him anymore because he has done this for the past 2 years in numerous threads. Each time, he changes his screen name and pretends to be a UK fan. His purpose is to set up an opportunity to gloat if UNC doesn't get hammered. That is his main agenda on this board.

If UNC gets hammered, as they should, he will disappear and never be seen again. He and RevHeels and uncfaninky will all some day be found on an island in the Pacific living in huts with Dean Smyth pictures hanging on the wall.

@preacherfan - I assure you I'm not a wolf in sheep's clothing. This is the only username I've ever used. You must have studied McCarthyism.

Why do you think I'm a UNC fan because I don't expect NCAA to make them remove their banners?

Am I conspiring against the sun if I expect it to rain tomorrow?

I see you sneak in and accuse people of operating with dark secrets, yet you never state your positions. You prefer sitting on the side and casting stones.

Here's your chance to man up and answer some questions.

1) What do you expect the sanctions to be against UNC?
2) Have you always expected this outcome, or have you recently changed your mind? There's nothing wrong with changing our minds based on new information, or for any other reason. I'm curious to hear your position instead of you darting in and throwing stones because you disagree with someone else.

; -) Classic This will be fun.

First, I'm going off the grid for awhile. I'll check back later tonight or in the morning and will look for your reply.

Answer to your question. - I think NCAA HAS/HAD jurisdiction. Again, I'm making a prediction on expected outcome.

NCAA has fumbled the ball big time. Think about the scope of UNC's scam. How many years? ('93-'11) How many athletes? Here's the kicker - how many sports? Take basketball and football out of the equation for a moment. How many athletes of Olympic sports and other team sports took these classes?

Honest questions for you. Do you think they just target football and basketball? Do you expect all athletes and teams in this time frame to forfeit all wins?
You are obfuscating and talking out of both sides of your mouth. Your original post for why UNCHeat wouldn't be hammered was because the NCAA had no jurisdiction. Which is it?

I'm not trying . . I read some . . . I don't remember . . . I AGREE WITH . . . I have simply . . . my predicted . . . I'm ignoring . . . I am not . . . I'm stating what . . . I expect to . . . I'm a closet UNC fan . . . I tried to end it . . . my name was used . . . I don't have a problem . . . I respect and read . . . than mine . . I laugh at . . . I'm sure . . .

I see you

You are obfuscating and talking out of both sides of your mouth. Your original post for why UNCHeat wouldn't be hammered was because the NCAA had no jurisdiction. Which is it?

@BigBlueFanGA - I was not obfuscating. Rather, I was truncating, which you find frustrating.

In my OP I did state as fact what I expect the reasons will be for the UNC banners not coming down. (I've written somewhere in this lengthy thread about my agreement with Patton that using the words "'I believe', or 'think' are weak words to cower behind. If you believe it, then state it as fact."

Electronic communication doesn't allow for context. So, I shall break from Patton's rules for communicating. What I stated as fact in my OP are my beliefs, and not the legal facts of the case. I never attempted to state the legal facts of the NCAA's jurisdiction.

1) I have zero doubt that UNC cheated. The cheating was systematic and well organized. I think it was so organized that Ole Roy and other coaches didn't even know it was cheating. It was part of their DNA.
2) UNC's defense is similar to the "I was too drunk, so I can't be liable" defense.
3) The NCAA has fumbled this case allowing it to go on as long as they have.
4) I believe (it's hard for me to use that word) when sanctions are handed out that UNC banners will still be left hanging.

NCAA will not go after ALL the sports impacted by the sham classes. It is public knowledge the classes cover a long time period and involves athletes from multiple sports, including Olympic sports. I believe they will not deem some impermissible and others not. I believe they know the media will crucify them if they pick & choose which teams, individual sport athletes like tennis, etc... were eligible or ineligible. I believe the NCAA is facing an ALL or NOTHING scenario.

What I believe will happen is what happens in the business world on a daily basis. I believe there will be backroom negotiations. NCAA wants a pound of flesh and they want to come out of this looking strong. On the other hand, UNC wants to leave their basketball banners hanging. What I originally posted as fact because I believe it to be true, is that both sides will get what they want. NCAA will level sanctions against UNC, but the banners will remain up. NCAA will need a safety net for not making UNC forfeit games. I believe that safety net will be the "legal jurisdiction" to intervene into academic programs. NCAA will lean on some jargon about schools working in cooperation with accredidation agencies, etc...

Everything I've just stated is what I BELIEVE will happen. In my original post I stated it as fact.

(I'm not trying to bait) But, I'm still looking forward to hearing what you expect the outcome will be.

@BigBlueFanGA - I was not obfuscating. Rather, I was truncating, which you find frustrating.

In my OP I did state as fact what I expect the reasons will be for the UNC banners not coming down. (I've written somewhere in this lengthy thread about my agreement with Patton that using the words "'I believe', or 'think' are weak words to cower behind. If you believe it, then state it as fact."

Electronic communication doesn't allow for context. So, I shall break from Patton's rules for communicating. What I stated as fact in my OP are my beliefs, and not the legal facts of the case. I never attempted to state the legal facts of the NCAA's jurisdiction.

1) I have zero doubt that UNC cheated. The cheating was systematic and well organized. I think it was so organized that Ole Roy and other coaches didn't even know it was cheating. It was part of their DNA.
2) UNC's defense is similar to the "I was too drunk, so I can't be liable" defense.
3) The NCAA has fumbled this case allowing it to go on as long as they have.
4) I believe (it's hard for me to use that word) when sanctions are handed out that UNC banners will still be left hanging.

NCAA will not go after ALL the sports impacted by the sham classes. It is public knowledge the classes cover a long time period and involves athletes from multiple sports, including Olympic sports. I believe they will not deem some impermissible and others not. I believe they know the media will crucify them if they pick & choose which teams, individual sport athletes like tennis, etc... were eligible or ineligible. I believe the NCAA is facing an ALL or NOTHING scenario.

What I believe will happen is what happens in the business world on a daily basis. I believe there will be backroom negotiations. NCAA wants a pound of flesh and they want to come out of this looking strong. On the other hand, UNC wants to leave their basketball banners hanging. What I originally posted as fact because I believe it to be true, is that both sides will get what they want. NCAA will level sanctions against UNC, but the banners will remain up. NCAA will need a safety net for not making UNC forfeit games. I believe that safety net will be the "legal jurisdiction" to intervene into academic programs. NCAA will lean on some jargon about schools working in cooperation with accredidation agencies, etc...

Everything I've just stated is what I BELIEVE will happen. In my original post I stated it as fact.

(I'm not trying to bait) But, I'm still looking forward to hearing what you expect the outcome will be.
I expect something similar to the UL decision. There will be ineligible player issues. How many? I have no idea, but it only takes 1. I think they lose a banner, 100+ wins, millions in payouts and permanent shame.

I expect something similar to the UL decision. There will be ineligible player issues. How many? I have no idea, but it only takes 1. I think they lose a banner, 100+ wins, millions in payouts and permanent shame.

It will surprise me, but make me very happy.

Peace out.

I was not . . . I was . . . In my OP . . . I did state . . . I expect the . . . I've written . . . my agreement . . . I believe . . I shall break . . . I stated . . . my OP . . . my beliefs . . . I never attempted . . . I have zero . . . I think . . . I was too . . . I can't be . . . I believe . . . me to use . . . I believe . . . I believe . . . I believe . . . I believe . . . I believe there . . . I originally posted . . . I believe it . . . I believe that . . . I've just stated . . . I BELIEVE will . . . In my original . . . I stated it . . . I'm not trying . . . I'm still looking . . .

You're stuttering all over the keys like you're drunk.

You going to state what you expect the outcome to be, or keep throwing stones from the shadows? Man up and state your case.

It's like they say. Rob a bank, go to jail. Steal billions from the Treasury, you can be a Senator.

1. NCAA cannot decide if a class offered by UNC is valid. That's an accreditation and school issue.

They don't have to. SACS did that for them. I would imagine the ncaa can just use SACS's ruling to rule the players academically ineligible.

That's the hook I'm hanging my hat on, anyway. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT