ADVERTISEMENT

UNC will not receive punishment from NCAA

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
Many UK fans are licking their chops this afternoon after NCAA dropped the hammer on UL. NCAA is now viewed by many as Wyatt Earp. The Cardinals and Tarheels are the evil Outlaws. A dream for many UK fans is to hear NCAA say to both programs, "Tell them I'm coming after them, and hell is coming with me."

Well, I'm guessing the group from Indy will blow some smoke at UNC, but it'll be nothing more than Earp blowing threatening smoke at the poker table. Here's why I think it happens this way.

1. NCAA cannot decide if a class offered by UNC is valid. That's an accreditation and school issue.
2. Everyone and their mother (including UNC athletics) knows why the program existed. Having an entire program designed that your typical 2nd grader can pass is not a problem as long as the school made classes available to other students.
3. NCAA can't punish an academic program for athletes taking classes that the university approved. Other schools know that a sham was created. But, they'll not stand by if NCAA tries to step into "what schools should and should not teach." No one wants the Indy group to have that much authority.
4. They'll be more punishment for a teacher/asst coach doing someone's homework or test than for all the athletes that participated in the classes.

Was it a sham? Absolutely! Will NCAA punish them for it? Don't think they have the legal reach to do so.

Here's more bad news for those who want to see the NCAA continue chasing the programs we label as "Outlaws" (I'm glad no one views our program or coach in this way ;-) ... I don't think the UL 2013 banner comes down. UL will appeal. NCAA has never taken down a title banner. FinalFour banner will come down, but title banner will stay up.

These are just projections. Some (ones who thought Higgins deserved to be harassed and threatened) will interpret this post as anti-UK. I didn't say I wouldn't have a slight smile if all the banners come down. I just doubt anything of significance happens to UNC and that UL title banner comes down.

Many UK fans are licking their chops this afternoon after NCAA dropped the hammer on UL. NCAA is now viewed by many as Wyatt Earp. The Cardinals and Tarheels are the evil Outlaws. A dream for many UK fans is to hear NCAA say to both programs, "Tell them I'm coming after them, and hell is coming with me."

Well, I'm guessing the group from Indy will blow some smoke at UNC, but it'll be nothing more than Earp blowing threatening smoke at the poker table. Here's why I think it happens this way.

1. NCAA cannot decide if a class offered by UNC is valid. That's an accreditation and school issue.
2. Everyone and their mother (including UNC athletics) knows why the program existed. Having an entire program designed that your typical 2nd grader can pass is not a problem as long as the school made classes available to other students.
3. NCAA can't punish an academic program for athletes taking classes that the university approved. Other schools know that a sham was created. But, they'll not stand by if NCAA tries to step into "what schools should and should not teach." No one wants the Indy group to have that much authority.
4. They'll be more punishment for a teacher/asst coach doing someone's homework or test than for all the athletes that participated in the classes.

Was it a sham? Absolutely! Will NCAA punish them for it? Don't think they have the legal reach to do so.

Here's more bad news for those who want to see the NCAA continue chasing the programs we label as "Outlaws" (I'm glad no one views our program or coach in this way ;-) ... I don't think the UL 2013 banner comes down. UL will appeal. NCAA has never taken down a title banner. FinalFour banner will come down, but title banner will stay up.

These are just projections. Some (ones who thought Higgins deserved to be harassed and threatened) will interpret this post as anti-UK. I didn't say I wouldn't have a slight smile if all the banners come down. I just doubt anything of significance happens to UNC and that UL title banner comes down.

Wrong- the UL title banner will absolutely be coming down. Hell, they even have to return it to the NCAA lol

Wrong- the UL title banner will absolutely be coming down. Hell, they even have to return it to the NCAA lol

"Absolute" is a strong word. You may be 100% correct, and it won't hurt my feelings ;-) Slick Rick and Jurich are in trouble. They'll appeal this as far as thy can. It'll be much longer than the 45 days NCAA has said.

Only way this ends soon is if the school steps in and says, "enough." Many of their top donors are very unhappy and are tired of Jurich and Rick. They don't want the embarrassment of being the first school in NCAA history to remove a title banner. But, they're capable of stepping in and cleaning house.

If so, Rick will continue a personal defamation lawsuit. They'll be books written about how this story ends.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
why would UNC cheat to obtain/regain eligibility if academics isn't within the purview of the NCAA?

Seems it cuts both ways. It's none of NCAA's business yet a failing grade is?? That's preposterous I say!

There were any number of people at 10:55 this morning making positive pronouncements that Louisville's banner would never come down.

The OP of this thread is just another variation on that theme: A pessimist-based opinion. Points one-through-four are all easily overridden by simply designating the university guilty of lack of institutional control and generally labeling the classes as impermissible benefits. If an improper grade on an SAT test is a violation, and a tutor's improper help in writing a paper is a violation, a grade for a clas in which it can be proven no work was ever done can be a violation.

why would UNC cheat to obtain/regain eligibility if academics isn't within the purview of the NCAA?

Seems it cuts both ways. It's none of NCAA's business yet a failing grade is?? That's preposterous I say!

I may be wrong, but I don't think NCAA can legally mandate the difficulties of any university's class. They can only mandate that an athlete complete coursework in an appropriate way. This is why it is taking so long.

I heard their AD say, "The classes may not be something we're proud of, but NCAA can't determine what we teach. Classes are an issue for universities and their accreditation." I interpreted his statement as, "We cheated, but not against NCAA rules, but against accreditation rules. Therefore, they're the only ones who can punish us. Punishments will be academic (which means probation with accreditation and tighter oversight) NCAA has no jurisdiction."

He may be technically correct. I'm sure NCAA is trying to figure out how to change rules to prevent a repeat. They'll implement something along lines of "school is responsible for oversight of academic offerings. Failure to monitor penalties can be inflicted, yada, yada, yada. " They know school presidents will buck at this.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix

You're entirely clueless. There is no reason to even read your full post. The NCAA isn't validating classes. They are ruling on impermissible benefits. The response from the second ANOA should have told you all you need to know. You are screwed.

There were any number of people at 10:55 this morning making positive pronouncements that Louisville's banner would never come down.

The OP of this thread is just another variation on that theme: A pessimist-based opinion. Points one-through-four are all easily overridden by simply designating the university guilty of lack of institutional control and generally labeling the classes as impermissible benefits. If an improper grade on an SAT test is a violation, and a tutor's improper help in writing a paper is a violation, a grade for a clas in which it can be proven no work was ever done can be a violation.

My feelings will not be hurt if I'm wrong and you're correct. I just think other schools are going to scream if NCAA try's to dictate what a school can and cannot teach. My guess is that NCAA has spoken with several other school presidents to get the temperature of the water. (NCAA really has a small staff.). They're biggest fear is P5 schools forming their own organization and pulling out of NCAA. I don't expect them to reach too far beyond their existing scope of reach.

You're entirely clueless. There is no reason to even read your full post. The NCAA isn't validating classes. They are ruling on impermissible benefits. The response from the second ANOA should have told you all you need to know. You are screwed.

@BigBlueFanGA, why spew the emotion filled disagreement? We can disagree without name calling. (That's at least what I teach my kids.)

I'm just saying that the classes were approved by the university. Thus, it's not an impermissible benefit to take a class offered by the school.

Again, it won't hurt my feelings if NCAA lays the hammer to them. I'm predicting that they don't.

Peace. Feel free to disagree. More name calling and mods will put us in opposite corners ;-)

My feelings will not be hurt if I'm wrong and you're correct. I just think other schools are going to scream if NCAA try's to dictate what a school can and cannot teach. My guess is that NCAA has spoken with several other school presidents to get the temperature of the water. (NCAA really has a small staff.). They're biggest fear is P5 schools forming their own organization and pulling out of NCAA. I don't expect them to reach too far beyond their existing scope of reach.

Honest question.

Ok, the NCAA requires college basketball players to maintain a certain GPA. At times , kids
Have had to sit out or been suspended for lack of
Good grades , skipping class , failing classes etc.

So... how can someone say the NCAA can't rule on the unc matter bc it's an "academic issue" yet still enforce minimum GPA standards etc ?
Makes no sense .

NCAA - "we require players to have (insert gpa here ) to remain eligible and play "

NCAA - "oh, we can't really do Anything about classes that didn't exist in order to maintain said
Gpa "

Reactions: TM2013 and catben
Hammered Pitino and Louisville hall of fame coach 3 championships with 2 different programs for providing outside entertainment so to speak. Can't hammer UL and not UNC liable to have a riot especially after UL banned themselves from post season and at least made an effort at cooperation. UNC actually used the last classes to keep players academically eligible to me the players who played at UNC under academic fraud was actually cheating and there fore more serious. Thumbing there nose at the NCAA may have been a bad move in hindsight. Emmert is going to make an example of UNC he almost has to. Or the scrutiny the media will hit them with will be unreal not to mention they will be a toothless dog making alot of noise but not really dangerous. So I have a feeling UNC and UL are both going to get drilled as a sign of power. And guess what it looks like a precedent was just set with UL losing a banner. Looks like we are about to widen the wins and title gap between our two programs by quite a bit.

Reactions: catben
So, the NCAA can dictate what admission requirements a school has to adhere to for eligibility, but can't decide whether the coursework at said school is giving out grades to maintain the same eligibility???

Several schools have been stripped of wins and money along with coaches and administrators losing their jobs for admission improprieties, why not grade giving classes?

@BigBlueFanGA, why spew the emotion filled disagreement? We can disagree without name calling. (That's at least what I teach my kids.)

I'm just saying that the classes were approved by the university. Thus, it's not an impermissible benefit to take a class offered by the school.

Again, it won't hurt my feelings if NCAA lays the hammer to them. I'm predicting that they don't.

Peace. Feel free to disagree. More name calling and mods will put us in opposite corners ;-)

"Not an impermissible benefit to take classes offered by the school"

Ok, so... legit question - does that mean all programs/ universities can now just create fake classes that don't exist , and give fake (good grades ) to basketball player - students in these classes ?

I mean if that's the case , what's keeping UK, Duke , zona , Kansas , msu etc etc from just having s bunch of fake classes for their players ?

Heck of a recruiting pitch "listen , we know school sucks and interferes with playing ball - so you can come here and not have to take any real classes at all, we will just give you an A, in these classes: departments designed to keep you guys eligible "

The NCAA requires a minimum GPA for players to play correct ? So... the NCAA DOES enforce and have their hands / rules in the academic side
Of sports .., right ?

So, the NCAA can dictate what admission requirements a school has to adhere to for eligibility, but can't decide whether the coursework at said school is giving out grades to maintain the same eligibility???

Several schools have been stripped of wins and money along with coaches and administrators losing their jobs for admission improprieties, why not grade giving classes?

This

Honest question.

Ok, the NCAA requires college basketball players to maintain a certain GPA. At times , kids

So... how can someone say the NCAA can't rule on the unc matter bc it's an "academic issue" yet still enforce minimum GPA standards etc ?
Makes no sense .

NCAA - "we require players to have (insert gpa here ) to remain eligible and play "

NCAA - "oh, we can't really do Anything about classes that didn't exist in order to maintain said
Gpa "

This isn't my argument, but UNC's. (I'm a huge UK fan, but try to remove my blue tinted glasses. Not always easy for me.)

Regarding your question, I agree 100% with you. However, UNC is saying, "Classes were approved by the school. Thus, there is no ineligible benefit."

This isn't my argument, but UNC's. (I'm a huge UK fan, but try to remove my blue tinted glasses. Not always easy for me.)

Regarding your question, I agree 100% with you. However, UNC is saying, "Classes were approved by the school. Thus, there is no ineligible benefit."

I get what you're saying. Makes sense .

But I mean, it can cause a huge slippery slope. If the NCAA lets this slide then they literally couldn't do a damn thing , if other schools
Followed suit and created/ provided fake classes for their players ya know ?

The NCAA COI is made up of presidents, athtletic directors, conference commisioners, and other officials from NCAA member institutions. Almost no one overaeeing the UNC case is from Indy. Greg Sankey, the SEC commisioner is overseeing the UNC case. He's not letting them off the hook.

He was calling you out because your entire line of reasoning is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with what the NCAA actually alleged.

The NCAA has never and will never evaluate course quality. That's the school's responsibility. You have a very misinformed understanding of what's alleged in the NOA.

I didn't call you a name. I rarely do that. I couldn't care less if you whine to a moderator. You have clearly not kept up with this story at all. You are so far behind, in other words, clueless, that its a waste of anyones time to tell you just how wrong you are.

Honest question.

Makes no sense .

Gpa "

I think a similar scenario are the "basketball factory prep schools which had sham classes." Everyone and their mother knew a few of these schools were creating sham classes for athletes. Universities and colleges were allowed to take players from these schools. It was only AFTER NCAA ruled on the status of these schools that credits would not be accepted. NCAA could not do anything retroactive to the previous players.

In UNC's case, the classes were approved by the school. The program has been dropped by UNC. I'm sure NCAA desires to address the issue, but they're on thin legal ice. The professor who leaked the whole thing knew it was a sham and that it was an embarrassment to the other academic programs at the school.

It's not a matter of the NCAA dictating what you can and cannot teach, though UNC-CHEATS has spent $20 million trying to make people believe that.

It's that you HAVE TO TEACH SOMETHING. You can get away with giving Rashad McCants an A on a paper that reads like it was written by a six-year-old. But you can't give him an A in a class that never met and for which he did no work.

He was calling you out because your entire line of reasoning is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with what the NCAA actually alleged.

The NCAA has never and will never evaluate course quality. That's the school's responsibility. You have a very misinformed understanding of what's alleged in the NOA.

I find it amazing that after months and months and months of discussion, some posters still are completely clueless of the issues. I guess if someone buries his head in the sand long enough....

I don't pretend to know all the details of the NOA. However, I do think I understand the big picture. UNC's new President said in their last response to the NCAA.

In 2016, the University demonstrated compliance with all academic accreditation principles and standards of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) following a yearlong probation.
The school is making a legal statement that: 1) classes were approved by the school, 2) situation has been dealt with between school and SACSCOC, 3) no student (we know most students were athletes) should be punished, 4) students who took classeswere in good standing with school and allowed to graduate.

No one is arguing whether it was created to create an unfair advantage for athletes. That's a foregone conclusion. The only debate is how NCAA will respond. I think they deserve worse punishment than UL because of length of time it occurred.

At the end of the day I think NCAA blows some smoke and will make some threats, and nothing happens.

Question for those who expect UNC to receive severe sanctions. Which surprised you the most: 1) NCAA coming down hard on UL, or not coming down hard on UNC? Some of you have said for a long time that you don't expect NCAA to do anything to UNC and now you're saying why you think they will. I'm simply staying consistent with my original prediction while giving reasons I expect them to give about the decision.

Hey, the Indy group surprised me today. They may do it again.

I find it amazing that after months and months and months of discussion, some posters still are completely clueless of the issues. I guess if someone buries his head in the sand long enough....

@preacherfan Is giving reasons why I don't think NCAA will severely sanction UNC equivalent to "sticking my head in the sand?"

I don't pretend to know all the details of the NOA. However, I do think I understand the big picture. UNC's new President said in their last response to the NCAA.

In 2016, the University demonstrated compliance with all academic accreditation principles and standards of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) following a yearlong probation.
The school is making a legal statement that: 1) classes were approved by the school, 2) situation has been dealt with between school and SACSCOC, 3) no student (we know most students were athletes) should be punished, 4) students who took classeswere in good standing with school and allowed to graduate.

No one is arguing whether it was created to create an unfair advantage for athletes. That's a foregone conclusion. The only debate is how NCAA will respond. I think they deserve worse punishment than UL because of length of time it occurred.

At the end of the day I think NCAA blows some smoke and will make some threats, and nothing happens.

Question for those who expect UNC to receive severe sanctions. Which surprised you the most: 1) NCAA coming down hard on UL, or not coming down hard on UNC? Some of you have said for a long time that you don't expect NCAA to do anything to UNC and now you're saying why you think they will. I'm simply staying consistent with my original prediction while giving reasons I expect them to give about the decision.

Ok Mr. Wizard, since you pointed it out yourself, let me highlight it for you.

"No one is arguing whether it was created to create an unfair advantage for athletes. That's a foregone conclusion."

That is the issue. It is impermissible to make classes like that. It was clear from Wainstein that the only reason these classes existed was to help athletes and that putting other students in the classes was meant to make it look legitimate. That is a violation. You just typed it. Do you think you can finally wrap your head around it? UNCheat is screwed.

slap slap.... Jay Bilas will explode if the Ncaa does anything

OP speaks as if he has skin in the game.

;-)

Would be happy to see hammer come down on UNC.

I'm never surprised when fans who have a different opinion want to challenge whether you're a real fan. Different opinions causes some people to become emotional.

Maybe I should share political thoughts. That would calm everyone down ;-)

I'm just sharing what decision I expect NCAA to make.

The fact that you quoted that highlights again that you don't understand the nature of the NCAA allegations at all.

If this were solely about cake classes, then UNC would not have fired several of the athletics academic counselors.

You're not qualified to argue a position on this and should probably stop.

;-)

Would be happy to see hammer come down on UNC.

I'm never surprised when fans who have a different opinion want to challenge whether you're a real fan. Different opinions causes some people to become emotional.

Maybe I should share political thoughts. That would calm everyone down ;-)

I'm just sharing what decision I expect NCAA to make.
Based solely on utter ignorance.

Right ? He says they have never and will never evaluate "course quality ". Yet..., yet... they require a minimum GPA for college basketball athletes , and if they don't meet this - then they can be suspended from
Games etc ...

ADVERTISEMENT