ADVERTISEMENT

UK will NOT play Bellarmine this week

Nobody is saying the cancellation is UK, or Cal's fault, please stop saying that. We get it, UofL had to cancel, we got it, figured that out right off the bat.

What will be UK's fault though, is the quick decision to just throw Bellarmine in there as a replacement and call it good.

What is also UK's fault, is the ridiculously frail non-conference home schedule they put together for this year. If it wasn't a complete kick in the junk to paying patrons, this wouldn't be such a slap in the face.

Can't wait to hear Cal talk down to the fans for not coming to Rupp again. That’s awesome.
It sounds like UK has lined up Bellarmine to ensure there is a game to be played, which is surely better than no game at all, while they work to find a higher quality opponent. I don’t know how anyone could expect anything better. If the issue has been the home schedule up to this point, that’s fine, but you cannot be one complaining that there is a Champions Classic without UK or that CBS has replaced UK in their event. You can only play so many games.

Firstly, I want to say, UKMelanie, I apologize. That was rude of me.

I have a feeling SOS isn't going to be relied on too heavily given cancellations and whatnot. It's not UK's fault they lost Ohio State and Louisville off their schedule.

Exactly. The prior schedule weve played so far is irrelevant. Season ticket holders have a valid point about previous UK games, but it's irrelevant to this situation.

Good Lord some of y'all are just miserable. It's the week of Christmas and you expect UK to pull a great opponent out of there ass in 48 hrs?? Do you grasp how far ahead of time schedules are made?? That's for a reasons a college or pro team traveling isn't like your highschool team hopping on a bus to drive an hour away lol

I'm sure UK will do the best they can, but to bitch about this and place blame anywhere on UK is ignorant at best
I get what you're saying, but they didn't take 48 hours to fill the void. They took 2 hours.

Good Lord some of y'all are just miserable. It's the week of Christmas and you expect UK to pull a great opponent out of there ass in 48 hrs?? Do you grasp how far ahead of time schedules are made?? That's for a reasons a college or pro team traveling isn't like your highschool team hopping on a bus to drive an hour away lol

I'm sure UK will do the best they can, but to bitch about this and place blame anywhere on UK is ignorant at best
Some on here think Cal sent someone with covid to infiltrate Louisville players and give them covid so he could replace Louisville with a lesser opponent.

LOL at the comments about the committee not using SOS. That’s funny as hell.

I'm not blaming UK for this - and the two aren't connected but this is yet another example of having a schedule full of nobodies. Had UK had a some decent games at Rupp, noticeably fewer would be barking about Bellarmine coming in last minute.

Personally I'd like to know they exhausted all options before Bellarmine, then if its Bellarmine so be it, we should thank them for taking us on last minute in what would almost certainly be a loss for them.

But if we hear later on that a better program would have traveled and happily played, then that is a bit of a slap in the face.
Let’s keep in mind anyone can say that too.

“Well, we would’ve traveled.”

Coaches like to spew crap sometimes to make them look good. And yes. They all do it. Including ours.

Reactions: jace2012
It sounds like UK has lined up Bellarmine to ensure there is a game to be played, which is surely better than no game at all, while they work to find a higher quality opponent. I don’t know how anyone could expect anything better. If the issue has been the home schedule up to this point, that’s fine, but you cannot be one complaining that there is a Champions Classic without UK or that CBS has replaced UK in their event. You can only play so many games.
I totally understand that and the way this has been put out has led to all of us thinking that Bellarmine IS going to be the opponent and that’s a decision that was made less than 2 hours after the official notice that UL had to cancel.
Up until this very moment, there was never a mention that, as you say, Bellarmine is just penciled in for now. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Those of you whining like this was intentional are beyond pathetic.

Sorry the entire Top 25 isn’t available to play a game on 2 days notice the week of Christmas.
Who's whining and saying it was intentional?

Who's saying the replacement has to be a top 25 team?

Kentucky pursued both Gonzaga and Texas to fill the void.

I’m not sure what anyone even arguing about. Whatever. Have fun with that.

You can’t really imagine UKAA would not refund tickets just because they schedule a game versus, say, EKU right? How is that gonna work? You can use the tickets you bought for UofL or do you have to purchase again? There won’t be 10,000 there unless they get a similarly marquee name equal to the Dirty Birds.

Let’s keep in mind anyone can say that too.

“Well, we would’ve traveled.”

Coaches like to spew crap sometimes to make them look good. And yes. They all do it. Including ours.
eh...maybe but all Mitch has to say is we contacted them and they said no

Reactions: bbncal02
Games are being cancelled left and right everywhere. That means there are programs out there looking for games. Doesn't have to be a top 10 team to be a better test. Any program above 150 would be great IMO. The only problem is the fact that it is Christmas week and travel could be a issue.
Maybe put in a call to some regional teams that may have had a game cancelled by Covid? Dayton, Akron, Valpo, E. Tenn State, Marshall, Murray State, UT-Chatt, etc. etc. I'd think just about any of those teams would jump at a chance to play UK in Rupp if they have a opening in their schedule.
If it does end up being Bellarmine you might as well make all upper arena seats freebie as a "gift" to the average fan.

Think UK vs Bellarmine is actually a pretty fun game. That might be because I’ve seen Bellarmine go from a two building campus with a par 3 public golf course to a D1 program... but hope they are a permanent fixture. Would love to see them break into Big East one day

Reactions: kl40504
True. But the opinion needs to be based in reality at least.

This is out of our control and we found a team to play. Is what it is. I comepltely understand if someone wants their money back or is concerned about tickets, but to refuse to watch because we’re having to play a different team due to something we can’t control seems a little childish to me.

A little childish?

It’s very childish. People who expect mountains to be moved and a P5 opponent found on two days notice have no idea how logistics work.

I had a ticket to the Louisville game. I’m bummed. But I’m not mad at or blaming anyone for lack of a suitable replacement on such short notice.

Reactions: kl40504 and KFuqua
Kentucky pursued both Gonzaga and Texas to fill the void.

I’m not sure what anyone even arguing about. Whatever. Have fun with that.
Blame the media for that.Pat Forde and others made it sound like it was Bellarmine for sure and didn't mention a thing about them trying for other teams.

Games are being cancelled left and right everywhere. That means there are programs out there looking for games. Doesn't have to be a top 10 team to be a better test. Any program above 150 would be great IMO. The only problem is the fact that it is Christmas week and travel could be a issue.
Maybe put in a call to some regional teams that may have had a game cancelled by Covid? Dayton, Akron, Valpo, E. Tenn State, Marshall, Murray State, UT-Chatt, etc. etc. I'd think just about any of those teams would jump at a chance to play UK in Rupp if they have a opening in their schedule.
If it does end up being Bellarmine you might as well make all upper arena seats freebie as a "gift" to the average fan.
Murray is sadly unavailable. They are in Auburn that night.

Teams are playing today or Wed. After that they are going to send their kids home.

Just is what it is.

Why on Gods Earth UofL, under NCAA investigation, didn’t walk on eggshells to potentially avoid an issue like this is beyond me. You can be sure that this will get mentioned to some degree, Eve off record in their findings. Chris Mack is an idiot.

Who's whining and saying it was intentional?

Who's saying the replacement has to be a top 25 team?

Read the threads. A lot of boo whoing over the potential replacement opponent with zero understanding of how logistics work, and failing to account for it being the week of Christmas.

I doubt we were gonna find a P5 team willing to play another road game on 2 days notice.

What people have to remember is the leverage power 5 teams will use in this situation. A mid-major will take a check (or two) but a power 5 team would want a return trip. Having UK on the home schedule does wonders for season ticket sales.

Gonzaga would come here but I guarantee they would want us to come up there next year.

Texas would probably take us coming there for the Big 12/SEC challenge as a return but that would have to be negotiated.

It is all much more complicated than calling a school and asking for a favor when the possibility of UK playing in your arena is on the table.

JB

Reactions: davtay and kl40504
Read the threads. A lot of boo whoing over the potential replacement opponent with zero understanding of how logistics work, and failing to account for it being the week of Christmas.

I doubt we were gonna find a P5 team willing to play another road game on 2 days notice.
I think we all have a basic understanding of the logistics of it. We aren't asking Gonzaga to fly in here (but apparently UK asked them, but who knows if that's true).
We all get it, it's the week of Chrstmas, but finding a power 5 team should be the goal here. Again, I've seen nobody demand it be a top 25 opponent.

What people have to remember is the leverage power 5 teams will use in this situation. A mid-major will take a check (or two) but a power 5 team would want a return trip. Having UK on the home schedule does wonders for season ticket sales.

Gonzaga would come here but I guarantee they would want us to come up there next year.

Texas would probably take us coming there for the Big 12/SEC challenge as a return but that would have to be negotiated.

It is all much more complicated than calling a school and asking for a favor when the possibility of UK playing in your arena is on the table.

JB
A home and home with the Zags would be amazing.

Dayton plays Tuesday and has a full schedule

Akron is postponed not cancelled

Valpo has a full schedule

I'd venture to say most of those listed by someone don't have any games to spare, but Im not able to look those up atm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT