ADVERTISEMENT

UK offers Caleb Wilson over a million bucks

Id pay Caleb his million and then get Lewis. Save the rest on the at least 4 transfer portal players we need next.

Return- 5
Recruits- 4
Transfer portal- 4
Walk-ons- 3

Looks like a solid mix of experience, star frosh and veteran role players from the portal. Or the formula to win a title.

Reactions: jace2012
And that’s the whole point for more than just a few fans. This “new landscape of college athletics” just isn’t worth the squeeze. To many it is, to many it isn’t.

I just don't understand this. Why do you care if players get money, and the best ones demand a higher salary? How's that different than your favorite sports teams or any professional work place?

Maybe it's not as pure as what college basketball used to be.. but was it even all that pure to begin with? Duke was paying these guys anyways.

I just don't see how it affects us as the fans. The programs that care are still going to get the best talent, just like they did last decade, and the decade before that.

You do understand who’s paying for all of this - either directly or at the end of the flow chart?

And I'm totally fine with that. I've said before that UK should put together a NIL collective that in return, gives fans things like signed t-shirts and such, for their donation.

I just don't understand this. Why do you care if players get money, and the best ones demand a higher salary? How's that different than your favorite sports teams or any professional work place?

Maybe it's not as pure as what college basketball used to be.. but was it even all that pure to begin with? Duke was paying these guys anyways.

I just don't see how it affects us as the fans. The programs that care are still going to get the best talent, just like they did last decade, and the decade before that.
It does affect us as fans. If you can't see what was wrong with the Blue/White game situation, then you're part of the problem. This is only going to get worse because some fans are willing to cast aside their morals in order to be able to win championships. There ARE NO WINNERS here.

EDIT: and IMO you're a great UK fan, so please take personally what I'm saying.

Reactions: bigbluedon
It does affect us as fans. If you can't see what was wrong with the Blue/White game situation, then you're part of the problem. This is only going to get worse because some fans are willing to cast aside their morals in order to be able to win championships. There ARE NO WINNERS here.

EDIT: and IMO you're a great UK fan, so please take personally what I'm saying.

But whats the recourse here? What are we to do? This is like throwing punches at ocean waves. We either get on board and adapt, or watch UK basketball fall into oblivion. We will not compete for anything if we're not paying our coach millions and shelling out some solid NIL money, that much is true.

But whats the recourse here? What are we to do? This is like throwing punches at ocean waves. We either get on board and adapt, or watch UK basketball fall into oblivion. We will not compete for anything if we're not paying our coach millions and shelling out some solid NIL money, that much is true.
I think it's a systemic issue. We're not the only fans to see what's transpiring, and to very likely witness the destruction of collegiate sports. Unless you're well off financially, soon you won't be going to any games. And then the rich will become bored.

EDIT: in my opinion, the recourse is for attendance to drop across the landscape, to a point that schools are forced to choose between closing their stadiums and arenas, and telling these elite players "you're not our first choice". When demand drops due to greed and poor attendance, NIL will go away or NIL demands will lower if they actually want to play somewhere. And then the NBA will have to address the situation if they want someone else doing their player development.

If this is going to be the new norm, dammit there has to be some contractual obligations applied to the players to show up and play. Payments made when obligations are met.

i dont mind em paying that for elite players. everybody else is.
my Question is....'is wilson elite?' alot of peoplr keep up with it here. is wilson a true top 5 type player?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT