ADVERTISEMENT

UK offers Caleb Wilson over a million bucks

Id pay Caleb his million and then get Lewis. Save the rest on the at least 4 transfer portal players we need next.

Return- 5
Recruits- 4
Transfer portal- 4
Walk-ons- 3

Looks like a solid mix of experience, star frosh and veteran role players from the portal. Or the formula to win a title.

And that’s the whole point for more than just a few fans. This “new landscape of college athletics” just isn’t worth the squeeze. To many it is, to many it isn’t.

I just don't understand this. Why do you care if players get money, and the best ones demand a higher salary? How's that different than your favorite sports teams or any professional work place?

Maybe it's not as pure as what college basketball used to be.. but was it even all that pure to begin with? Duke was paying these guys anyways.

I just don't see how it affects us as the fans. The programs that care are still going to get the best talent, just like they did last decade, and the decade before that.

You do understand who’s paying for all of this - either directly or at the end of the flow chart?

And I'm totally fine with that. I've said before that UK should put together a NIL collective that in return, gives fans things like signed t-shirts and such, for their donation.

I just don't understand this. Why do you care if players get money, and the best ones demand a higher salary? How's that different than your favorite sports teams or any professional work place?

Maybe it's not as pure as what college basketball used to be.. but was it even all that pure to begin with? Duke was paying these guys anyways.

I just don't see how it affects us as the fans. The programs that care are still going to get the best talent, just like they did last decade, and the decade before that.
It does affect us as fans. If you can't see what was wrong with the Blue/White game situation, then you're part of the problem. This is only going to get worse because some fans are willing to cast aside their morals in order to be able to win championships. There ARE NO WINNERS here.

EDIT: and IMO you're a great UK fan, so please take personally what I'm saying.

Reactions: bigbluedon
It does affect us as fans. If you can't see what was wrong with the Blue/White game situation, then you're part of the problem. This is only going to get worse because some fans are willing to cast aside their morals in order to be able to win championships. There ARE NO WINNERS here.

But whats the recourse here? What are we to do? This is like throwing punches at ocean waves. We either get on board and adapt, or watch UK basketball fall into oblivion. We will not compete for anything if we're not paying our coach millions and shelling out some solid NIL money, that much is true.

But whats the recourse here? What are we to do? This is like throwing punches at ocean waves. We either get on board and adapt, or watch UK basketball fall into oblivion. We will not compete for anything if we're not paying our coach millions and shelling out some solid NIL money, that much is true.
I think it's a systemic issue. We're not the only fans to see what's transpiring, and to very likely witness the destruction of collegiate sports. Unless you're well off financially, soon you won't be going to any games. And then the rich will become bored.

EDIT: in my opinion, the recourse is for attendance to drop across the landscape, to a point that schools are forced to choose between closing their stadiums and arenas, and telling these elite players "you're not our first choice". When demand drops due to greed and poor attendance, NIL will go away or NIL demands will lower if they actually want to play somewhere. And then the NBA will have to address the situation if they want someone else doing their player development.

Reactions: Fox2monk

What morals are they sacrificing?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Some may remember that I said when this NIL was being talked about I said " they are opening a can of worms" . I hope this come back and bites the CBB in the butt and they have to start all over again.

Reactions: billCgmx
Wonder what UNC offered. Seems to be more between us and UNC at this point.

Separately, Dybantsa's price tag is crazy. Saw some speculation that his price tag is like $7M - $8M or something crazy allegedly. Saw a Torres video and if he had to guess, he said BYU was the leader for him right now.
I knew Dybantsa would be high but that is outrageous. You could build a NC contender with that as your entire budget.

If we pay that much and end up with 3 freshmen, we're going to look like some of the last guy's teams.

Also im totally fine with profit sharing and actual nil. I just cant stand this nonsense.
If we don’t pay that much we will be terrible. We need talent and that’s how it goes now. Most likely you won’t be able to find diamonds in the rough enough to field a competitive team because they will get offers to other schools to make money too, the key is getting the right players, doing serious homework about their chemistry and ability to take coaching. It will be like a pro team now. We need a GM. The best teams will spend their budget on the best team overall, you won’t see teams paying 4-5 million for the top 2-3 guys all the time.

I just can't see boosters donating enough to continue supporting this type of payroll. The average fan doesn't have extra money to throw into nil. It has to come from tv revenue or something like that. Raising ticket prices or adding surcharges will do nothing but reduce attendance. All of this is a complete joke

Glad I’ve become more of a High School sports fan. Enjoy it. Season football txs are $100/2 great seats. Plenty of good restaurants around the stadium to pregame. Free parking - home in 8 minutes. Lucky that all of the various sports teams are competitive.

Might want to support your local HS. Go check out a football, basketball or baseball game. The kids and school would love to have you. They play pretty good ball in Ky.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Id pay Caleb his million and then get Lewis. Save the rest on the at least 4 transfer portal players we need next.

Return- 5
Recruits- 4
Transfer portal- 4
Walk-ons- 3

Looks like a solid mix of experience, star frosh and veteran role players from the portal. Or the formula to win a title.

Not gonna get any quality transfer players if you return 5 and bring in 4 frosh, 3 of which are starting quality from day 1 potentially and 2 of which are all but promised starting jobs.

Return- 5
Recruits- 4
Transfer portal- 4
Walk-ons- 3

Exactly I love this move if it works.

Hot damn! The 90s Kentucky Basketball was the absolute TITS!
giphy.gif

I think it's a systemic issue. We're not the only fans to see what's transpiring, and to very likely witness the destruction of collegiate sports. Unless you're well off financially, soon you won't be going to any games. And then the rich will become bored.

EDIT: in my opinion, the recourse is for attendance to drop across the landscape, to a point that schools are forced to choose between closing their stadiums and arenas, and telling these elite players "you're not our first choice". When demand drops due to greed and poor attendance, NIL will go away or NIL demands will lower if they actually want to play somewhere. And then the NBA will have to address the situation if they want someone else doing their player development.
Good in theory but it’s so ingrained in society that it won’t happen, someone will see an opening and start spending to get to the top. The only way that happens is if the economy collapses and I wouldn’t be surprised if it does pretty soon.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I just can't see boosters donating enough to continue supporting this type of payroll. The average fan doesn't have extra money to throw into nil. It has to come from tv revenue or something like that. Raising ticket prices or adding surcharges will do nothing but reduce attendance. All of this is a complete joke
It won’t have to next year. As soon as revenue sharing takes place most salaries will come from that. The boosters and outside deals will be the selling point still but won’t be relied on as much IMO. Luckily we have as much revenue to share as anyone so we will compete.

Isn’t interesting that many coaches in football and basketball are quitting all together while NCAA is happy to increase their revenue year after year.

NCAA is going to destroy college sports. The realignment of conferences , now the NIL situation, the joy is gone , now is just a commercial product that is getting worse year after year.

Meanwhile parents are paying more in tuition that goes to sports facilities that their kids are never going to use because college sports are becoming professional sports…
We are also paying for cable , which includes ESPN . However , that is not enough now we need to pay another fee to watch espn + because only in America it’s allowed to be charge twice for the same product.

Businesses are getting smarter so Netflix which is a subscription now they charge extra so movies have no commercials…

It’s all because consumers are accepting to be taken advantage on.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT