ADVERTISEMENT

UK most successful Alum “Pat Riley”

Thanks for the post, JST390-2. Coach Riley was part of the first team I remember watching on the couch after it was way past my bedtime with mom and dad. His legacy in the NBA is one of genius. The flash and dash of Showtime with the Lakers to more of a deliberate style with the Knicks and somewhat of a combination of both with the Heat will stand the test of time. He pioneered breaking film down with multiple sessions, VCR tapes and even Beta Max tapes for teaching and scouting. He speaks up to defend coach Rupp when asked and is a true legend that the University of Kentucky and the BBN should not only be proud of, but embrace wholeheartedly.

I look forward to the others comments and mentions in this thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, JST390-2. Coach Riley was part of the first team I remember wathing on the couch after it was way past my bedtime with mom and dad. His legacy in the NBA is one of genius. The flash and dash of Showtime with the Lakers to more of a deliberate style with the Knicks and somewhat of a combination of both with the Heat will stand the test of time. He pioneered breaking film down with multiple sessions, VCR tapes and even Beta Max tapes for teaching and scouting. He speaks up to defend coach Rupp when asked and is a true legend that the University of Kentucky and the BBN should not only be proud of, but embrace wholeheartedly.

I look forward to the others comments and mentions in this thread.
You’re very welcome sir …I’m also a fan of Riley and his success …I knew the old timers like me (not saying you lol) would appreciate the post .

If you guys knew who I was in the real world you definitely wouldn't be saying Pat Riley is the most successful UK alum

I'd consider myself EKU's most successful alum, if not for one man:

lee-majors-main-revised.jpg

If anybody knows the whereabouts of Barney Hiller or some fembots, lmk. You'll be handsomely rewarded.

Riley got the absolute best out of his Knicks teams. They lacked scoring, but their defense took Chicago to the limit in '92 (7 game series) and '93 (6 game series where the Bulls need a Charles Smith choke job in game 6 to advance).

We all know how good Ewing was, but New York didn't have any other legitimate threats on those Knicks teams. Xavier McDaniel was in rapid decline in 1992, and Starks, Rivers, Davis, Anthony, Mason, Smith and Oakley were solid role players but were not the type of secondary players you win titles with.

Yet, despite their limitations, Riley made those Knicks teams legitimate title threats from '92-'95.

I would like to see Riley replace Barney as ad get a cbb title under his belt. Honestly anyone name Riley I would like see replace Barney. Or with the first name Patrick

It would be nice to see more honors directed toward Riley from UK as we move forward. I know his jersey is already in the rafters and I'm not really a statue guy but, something a little more substantial needs to be done.
And he's not the only one.

Remember Riley as a player, could really pogo. Seems I recall his having some back problems while at UK. Somewhat undersized for what he was asked to do.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT