ADVERTISEMENT

UK just released a statement on Big Z…

i guess you have inside knowledge on when he wanted to come to the UK
of course my money would be you are just throwing out more of your BS that you think is fact because it is your opinion
Okay, prove me wrong then. I'll wait.

This where UK has shown and continues to show that it is a COMPLETE JOKE.

That admissions office has been a money-grabbing bunch of political bullsht ever since I moved here. From disallowing A-grade, transfer credits from NORTHWESTERN.... yes, THAT Northwestern .... from that situation to this absolute fiasco of a situation is par for the FREAKIN COURSE at UK.

IT IS A COMPLETE JOKE AT THIS POINT that this school is even CONSIDERING giving a European student a hard time about admissions when quite a few people that graduate from UK can't even speak or read English at a high level.

The whole department needs to be gutted and reformed from good, honest, arrogant, and lazy, govt employees to a department that works towards the best interests of the students. Been way too long in coming. UK is NOT on the level of NW, Vandy, Stanford, or Princeton, so they shouldn't be acting like it, but ALSO should be trying to find ways to help people instead of the regular drama they conjure out of thin air.

My buddy knows quite a few students that got far different treatment.

-One had a 15 on their ACT and didn't qualify academically. Donation to the university and they got in. No further questions asked.

-One was RECRUITED by one of the schools because of their incredible academic record and background to come to UK from Northwestern, where they were an honors student. That's when the ADMISSIONS OFFICE shafted the VERY SAME student the school recruited, disallowing at LEAST 12 transfer credits from NU, BUT WAITING to tell them until AFTER the add/drop deadline of the SPRING semester, when they had been there for the fall already.

The other AMAZING thing to me in the last example, is that the A student was accepted BACK TO Northwestern IMMEDIATELY and never given ONE SIGNLE OUNCE of grief over transfer credits from UK that didn't meet NUs standards or bulletin.

The difference is that Northwestern VALUES ITS STUDENTS, unlike UK admissions and admin that sees them as a means to an end. It's not the first time and won't be the last until the president gets sht straight in that department.
Look at what’s been happening at Michigan. They have a Stanford transfer and he lost basically his whole major credits. He’s now doing general studies just to graduate. The open transfer portal has opened up issues in academia that mostly wasn’t an issue because most were grad transfers. Most admissions offices probably haven’t transitioned fast enough to compensate for the 1000% increase in work. The portal has made it very messy.

Reactions: jmw23712
I guess it's possible that Cal had been recruiting Z for many months, but unlikely.
Wasn't it just late last month that we heard about Antiqua, Chin and Chuck Martin heading overseas to recruit Z?
This is a byproduct of the culture here. Every year Cal has to jump through crazy hoops to fully rebuild the roster.
It's bad enough that these young HS kids string everyone along as long as they can, but we also have the NCAA and now, our own administration putting sticks in our spokes.
From what it looks like to me, Cal didn’t start recruiting this kid until August. I mean look at what's happening right now, yeah, the administration is screwing around, but it’s not like they were working on Z's eligibility in June, this has all been very late in the game.
The point is we just don’t know. You are assuming things to fit your narrative. You may be right but you may be wrong.

The other point is you out the entire blame on Cal for recruiting Z late. As good as he is, it doesn’t appear that any other programs were recruiting him any earlier than when we got word. There is a good chance that Z didn’t decide he wanted to consider college until late either. Maybe Cal had no choice but to recruit him late. There are plenty of reasons why Cal didn’t appear to recruit him until late. Only one of which puts the fault on Cal and that’s the one you choose as the reason.

Reactions: Chase4UK
Yet another thread devolves into the civil war between fans of Cal and those who are not. Those seeking info and discussion of the matter at hand are out of luck. As I see it this situation has little to do with Cal one way or another.It seems to be a problem of insular self serving academia arogantly exercising there power. Do they dislike Cal, I have no idea, but to suggest that academia bears no animosity toward the athletic dept is niave. Anyone who has ever worked in or around a college knows there is deep resentment and down right hatred in some cases toward athletics. It appears someone in the admissions office has decided to stick it to our basketball program ,it is also painfully obvious our University president lacks the fortitude or motivation to step in and solve the problem

I don't have any insight on the recruiting of Z. But I have to believe getting him inked became a lot easier after Oscar stayed in the draft, Bradshaw broke his foot and Ugo went down with a fairly significant injury. I mean interest on both sides had to heat up after each occurrence, right?

The Oregon kid that never entered the portal?

"Hey, Cal! Why didn't you waste your time recruiting a player that was never transferring? I think that would have been a better use of your time" 🤣

How many damn centers do you morons actually expect us to have? We already had Bradshaw, Ugonna. We picked up Mitchell who can play the 5, we added Cyril, who elected not to reclass because he saw the already crowded front court. Then we went ahead and added another big man in Z like 6 weeks ago. And his issues should have been cleared by UK weeks ago.

Did you all want a roster full of centers when most of you have screamed for several years that big men aren't what win you championships anymore? Not to mention, all of this was going on when people were still hoping Oscar would come back and he was undecided.

So, please, do tell, what specifically would you have done different? Who would you have recruited? What would your roster look like now?

You're saying people in UK admissions are punishing an innocent kid for their alleged dislike of Cal? Why do they dislike Cal? What did he do to the admissions dept at UK to get them on his alleged bad side?

You seem like someone who is just very bitter about a coach you don't like. Weird.
"How many damn centers do you morons actually expect us to have?"

Well, obviously Cal thinks we need another one, if not, why the hell is Cal working so hard to get Z here?

Reactions: Lukeslaw
The point is we just don’t know. You are assuming things to fit your narrative. You may be right but you may be wrong.

The other point is you out the entire blame on Cal for recruiting Z late. As good as he is, it doesn’t appear that any other programs were recruiting him any earlier than when we got word. There is a good chance that Z didn’t decide he wanted to consider college until late either. Maybe Cal had no choice but to recruit him late. There are plenty of reasons why Cal didn’t appear to recruit him until late. Only one of which puts the fault on Cal and that’s the one you choose as the reason.
Post #114, this is what I said: "The administration is the biggest issue here by a mile, but Cal didn’t help his own cause either."

I didn’t put the whole thing on Cal, I put most of the blame on the administration.

But, I want to make a couple points here:

1) When you have to rebuild your roster every year, you end up flying by the seat of your pants too often, because you are now depending on kids and people to do their jobs and NOT string you along. Too often, these things don't happen.

2) How you talk to people and how you treat people, matters. Cal has gotten really fat on himself and has pissed some people off. We can act like that is just an opinion, but come on, we have seen too much.
We have referees that hate Cal enough to screw us over when the games mean the most.
We have media members that are just waiting for Cal to screw up (Goodman and Thamel).
The NCAA is so done with Cal that they told him his 500 win ball can't be recognized.
We have an AD that is now denying things that Cal wants (practice facility).
Now, we appear to have people within the UK academic side that are sending a message.

The amount of people that have been rubbed wrong by Cal, is growing and he consistently shows us that he doesn't care to fix that.

Post #114, this is what I said: "The administration is the biggest issue here by a mile, but Cal didn’t help his own cause either."

I didn’t put the whole thing on Cal, I put most of the blame on the administration.

But, I want to make a couple points here:

1) When you have to rebuild your roster every year, you end up flying by the seat of your pants too often, because you are now depending on kids and people to do their jobs and NOT string you along. Too often, these things don't happen.

2) How you talk to people and how you treat people, matters. Cal has gotten really fat on himself and has pissed some people off. We can act like that is just an opinion, but come on, we have seen too much.
We have referees that hate Cal enough to screw us over when the games mean the most.
We have media members that are just waiting for Cal to screw up (Goodman and Thamel).
The NCAA is so done with Cal that they told him his 500 win ball can't be recognized.
We have an AD that is now denying things that Cal wants (practice facility).
Now, we appear to have people within the UK academic side that are sending a message.

The amount of people that have been rubbed wrong by Cal, is growing and he consistently shows us that he doesn't care to fix that.
I didn’t say you put the entire blame on Cal for the admissions issue. I said you out the entire blame on Cal for recruiting him late. Those are 2 entirely different things.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Apparently there is a meeting today to determine Z's fate. If we lose this kid to Duke or Michigan, the fan base should riot.
Hopefully common sense prevails, but I won’t be holding my breath.

I couldn’t imagine a kid getting accepted into Duke or Michigan, but getting declined by Kentucky. That would be madness.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I guess it's possible that Cal had been recruiting Z for many months, but unlikely.
Wasn't it just late last month that we heard about Antiqua, Chin and Chuck Martin heading overseas to recruit Z?
This is a byproduct of the culture here. Every year Cal has to jump through crazy hoops to fully rebuild the roster.
It's bad enough that these young HS kids string everyone along as long as they can, but we also have the NCAA and now, our own administration putting sticks in our spokes.
From what it looks like to me, Cal didn’t start recruiting this kid until August. I mean look at what's happening right now, yeah, the administration is screwing around, but it’s not like they were working on Z's eligibility in June, this has all been very late in the game.
I can agree with most of this. I hate the culture of UK college basketball...the roster turnover, the transfer portal chaos, players coming and going. It's an awful product.

I think the roster was fine when Bradshaw and UGO were healthy and we had a guy that could spread the floor at the 5 spot (really probably a 4) in Mitchell. When Bradshaw hurt his ankle and more urgently, UGO hurt his in Canada, the need for another 5 smacked in the face. That's when I noticed and read about Z being pursued. In fact, I'm not sure I ever read of any other school pursuing Z - making me think he hadn't really thought about being a college player.

What's happening right now is squarely on UK admissions...and I would further say all school administration from politicians to the elementary/middle/high schools and even colleges is atrocious. There is no reason to deny him admissions because of a "standardized English test" when he speaks 4 languages fluently - and even English (I've listened to his interviews). This is not a Calipari thing, it is a UK administration issue that needs resolved now.

Hopefully common sense prevails, but I won’t be holding my breath.

I couldn’t imagine a kid getting accepted into Duke or Michigan, but getting declined by Kentucky. That would be madness.
If he ends up playing for freaking Duke, that's a firable offense. Duke has a 6% acceptance rate. SIX.

So basically UK says Z is not in the 94% acceptance rate for us, but fits the 6% for Duke if that happens.

God help the admin office if that comes to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmw23712
Never doubt bloated incompetence. We see it all the time. For those that watched the Ball State game, the ref that pointed to the ground on that fumble is a perfect example.
If I were cal I would get a giant poster-board, write 94% exceptance rate, and then walk in say what the hell are we doing here

Okay, prove me wrong then. I'll wait.
i am not the one that made the original comment you are
show any proof the BS you said has any basis of truth

keep spinning, that is about all you are good for

instead of acting like you know something (we all know you do not), just be honest and admit you have no idea when Cal contacted Z or even when Z decided to go to college

I didn’t say you put the entire blame on Cal for the admissions issue. I said you out the entire blame on Cal for recruiting him late. Those are 2 entirely different things.
But if recruiting Z late isn’t on Cal, who is it on then?
I get it, we have injuries, but Bradshaw and Mitchell are going to be fine.
I was also responding to a guy that said "how many centers do you think we need?".

But you were complaining earlier that wasn't sufficient and he should have been better prepared. So, again, how many do you want?

Also, you're conflating 2 different things into 1. Seeing an opportunity to add a highly skilled big man when you have room doesn't mean Cal think we necessarily need him. He could just be a bonus to what you already have. Considering most people expect him to be a project, I don't think he was brought in to be a savior.

Have you seen them play?

Based on what? Have you seen them play or do you know what their status will be in November?
But you were complaining earlier that wasn't sufficient and he should have been better prepared. So, again, how many do you want?

I was complaining what wasn't sufficient? The amount of bigs we have? No I wasn't, I think you have me confused with someone else.

Yes, Cal should have been better prepared. Nobody should be debating this. By now, he should be a whole lot better than he is, considering he has had to fully rebuild his roster most years he has been here. We keep hearing about how the players on some of our teams weren't good enough, well, who's fault is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lukeslaw
I can agree with most of this. I hate the culture of UK college basketball...the roster turnover, the transfer portal chaos, players coming and going. It's an awful product.

I think the roster was fine when Bradshaw and UGO were healthy and we had a guy that could spread the floor at the 5 spot (really probably a 4) in Mitchell. When Bradshaw hurt his ankle and more urgently, UGO hurt his in Canada, the need for another 5 smacked in the face. That's when I noticed and read about Z being pursued. In fact, I'm not sure I ever read of any other school pursuing Z - making me think he hadn't really thought about being a college player.

What's happening right now is squarely on UK admissions...and I would further say all school administration from politicians to the elementary/middle/high schools and even colleges is atrocious. There is no reason to deny him admissions because of a "standardized English test" when he speaks 4 languages fluently - and even English (I've listened to his interviews). This is not a Calipari thing, it is a UK administration issue that needs resolved now.
Great post with facts and very accurate.
My main point is, when you have to flip your roster every year, this stuff is going to happen. Cal has to depend on way too many people to be honest, do their jobs and not string him along. That’s impossible these days.

But if recruiting Z late isn’t on Cal, who is it on then?
I get it, we have injuries, but Bradshaw and Mitchell are going to be fine.
I was also responding to a guy that said "how many centers do you think we need?".
It could be on Z deciding late that college is an option for him. Do you not want Cal to recruit someone like that? It could be that he has been recruiting him since last January and we just didn’t hear about it until recently. Maybe Cal hasn’t been recruiting him late. Maybe Cal had no choice to recruit him late because Z made himself available late. Maybe Cal chose to recruit him late. All 3 of those are possible but only one is potentially negative for Cal. I tend to think the recruitment was late but I don’t think that was necessarily because of Cal. I think more of it was Zs play in the world basketball showcase and subsequent spotlight.

Damn...Cal started recruiting him in August and got him to commit on August 1? That's hella impressive!
So was Cal recruiting him in June, or not? That's what I said. I knew Z committed in August, just didn't know when. This was a late recruitment either way you shake it.

Again, this isn’t on Cal, but damn, every year we have a bunch of roster anxiety due to his one-and-done culture.

So was Cal recruiting him in June, or not? That's what I said. I knew Z committed in August, just didn't know when. This was a late recruitment either way you shake it.

Again, this isn’t on Cal, but damn, every year we have a bunch of roster anxiety due to his one-and-done culture.
Is your issue the culture or because the past few years we haven’t won with it? I don’t remember you or many complaining about roster management up to roughly the 9 and 16 Covid year. Cal’s approach hasn’t changed but now people who didn’t mind that approach before suddenly don’t like it.

I was complaining what wasn't sufficient? The ampunt of bigs we have? No I wasn't, I think you have me confused with someone else.

Yes, Cal should have been better prepared. Nobody should be debating this. By now, he should be a whole lot better than he is, considering he has had to fully rebuild his roster most years he has been here. We keep hearing about how the players on some of our teams weren't good enough, well, who's fault is that?
I would like to see Cal hit the portal early next year We should have money to spend and lots of minutes.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Is your issue the culture or because the past few years we haven’t won with it? I don’t remember you or many complaining about roster management up to roughly the 9 and 16 Covid year. Cal’s approach hasn’t changed but now people who didn’t mind that approach before suddenly don’t like it.
the approach was never ok but winning fixed it.

the approach was never ok but winning fixed it.
Depends on who you ask. I am completely ok with it and it’s the way basketball is today. It isn’t going back to stars staying 3 and 4 years. If you want the stars, you just need to accept it.

The Oregon kid that never entered the portal?

"Hey, Cal! Why didn't you waste your time recruiting a player that was never transferring? I think that would have been a better use of your time" 🤣

How many damn centers do you morons actually expect us to have? We already had Bradshaw, Ugonna. We picked up Mitchell who can play the 5, we added Cyril, who elected not to reclass because he saw the already crowded front court. Then we went ahead and added another big man in Z like 6 weeks ago. And his issues should have been cleared by UK weeks ago.

Did you all want a roster full of centers when most of you have screamed for several years that big men aren't what win you championships anymore? Not to mention, all of this was going on when people were still hoping Oscar would come back and he was undecided.

So, please, do tell, what specifically would you have done different? Who would you have recruited? What would your roster look like now?

You're saying people in UK admissions are punishing an innocent kid for their alleged dislike of Cal? Why do they dislike Cal? What did he do to the admissions dept at UK to get them on his alleged bad side?

You seem like someone who is just very bitter about a coach you don't like. Weird.
first of all, the Ware kid from Oregon did enter the portal & will be playing for IU next year........so keep up with what is going on before your criticize. Ware is much like Z can shoot from outside, block shots & rebound. Yet the all knowing ccc did not even look his way.
secondly, Ugo is the only center or again did you forget that ccc promised Bradshaw the forward position to get him to UK, just as his handlers wanted. Ugo was promised the center position when he was in the portal & then all of a sudden decided to return to UK
thirdly, Mitchell is not a center but a fairly skilled forward, that just fell into UK's lap because Huggy made a bad decision not a center.
By my count, that leaves 1 center with ZERO experience because ccc did not have the sense to let him play
last year. But that is mute as now his foot is broken & who knows if his handlers will let him play.

True no one knows exactly when UK started recruiting Z, but it appears that it was after the Canada trip.
Again, why so late if this kid is such a talent. Should have been on him much earlier & then the admission fiasco would have been over by now. If this is truly a power struggle between athletics & academics, then ccc deserves everything that he is getting do to his arrogance. It is bad for the fans that have supported this program for so many years and have watched this supposed coach destroy it brick by brick. It is also unfortunate for the youngster that just wants to play college ball.

first of all, the Ware kid from Oregon did enter the portal & will be playing for IU next year........so keep up with what is going on before your criticize. Ware is much like Z can shoot from outside, block shots & rebound. Yet the all knowing ccc did not even look his way.
secondly, Ugo is the only center or again did you forget that ccc promised Bradshaw the forward position to get him to UK, just as his handlers wanted. Ugo was promised the center position when he was in the portal & then all of a sudden decided to return to UK
thirdly, Mitchell is not a center but a fairly skilled forward, that just fell into UK's lap because Huggy made a bad decision not a center.
By my count, that leaves 1 center with ZERO experience because ccc did not have the sense to let him play
last year. But that is mute as now his foot is broken & who knows if his handlers will let him play.

True no one knows exactly when UK started recruiting Z, but it appears that it was after the Canada trip.
Again, why so late if this kid is such a talent. Should have been on him much earlier & then the admission fiasco would have been over by now. If this is truly a power struggle between athletics & academics, then ccc deserves everything that he is getting do to his arrogance. It is bad for the fans that have supported this program for so many years and have watched this supposed coach destroy it brick by brick. It is also unfortunate for the youngster that just wants to play college ball.
It would have been much easier for you to just type I hate Cal and nothing he does will ever be good enough.

i am not the one that made the original comment you are
show any proof the BS you said has any basis of truth

keep spinning, that is about all you are good for

instead of acting like you know something (we all know you do not), just be honest and admit you have no idea when Cal contacted Z or even when Z decided to go to college
So the short answer is, you can't prove me wrong. Okay, got it.

It could be on Z deciding late that college is an option for him. Do you not want Cal to recruit someone like that? It could be that he has been recruiting him since last January and we just didn’t hear about it until recently. Maybe Cal hasn’t been recruiting him late. Maybe Cal had no choice to recruit him late because Z made himself available late. Maybe Cal chose to recruit him late. All 3 of those are possible but only one is potentially negative for Cal. I tend to think the recruitment was late but I don’t think that was necessarily because of Cal. I think more of it was Zs play in the world basketball showcase and subsequent spotlight.
Well, you're making a lot of excuses for Cal. I used to do that, but dude is 14 years into this thing, yet crazy shit keeps happening each year. It’s been out of control since he got here, so in my mind, it's crazy that this crap is still happening.

My complaint has always been the culture. Guys like Wall, Cuz, KAT and Ulis definitely help, but kids aren't coming here for UK anymore, they are coming here to leave.
It happens at other schools, yes, but in 99.9% of the other college basketball programs, they manage to keep their kids for 3+ years and the ones that are best at retaining their players, are the ones getting to final 4's.
The roster is in flux every year, it's so beyond ridiculous now.

Reactions: bnewt and jmw23712
I would like to see Cal hit the portal early next year We should have money to spend and lots of minutes.
Same here. No need to wait, most of this roster is gone after this year whether they win it all, or go 9-16. Hopefully Cal doesn't find a way to allow a lottery pick to string him along again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT