ADVERTISEMENT

UK just released a statement on Big Z…

Pilgrim on his just now podcast, said BigZ has dyslexia, and did not have the allowed assistance during the test, where he failed the 1 part. But his grades are great, and he speaks 4 languages. And he did pass another exam, which UK has thrown up red flags on...

Said late today, it seems to be trending in a "better direction".. believes UK has to get it resolved by end of week.

And Pilgrim did clarify that UK basketball, has gotten all the other stuff "cleared".. NCAA eligibility, amateurism, etc.. Implied that UK has "informally" submitted everything, and there are no issues... ONCE the UK admissions clears him.
This is such a joke, I mean it’s not even the NCAA it’s our own damn school making this hard.

2023 is like 1993 for academia, government bureaucracy, and financial institutions. I thought about taking a position recently at a school system. They still wanted to see my college transcripts before looking at my work experience. Even better, they wanted originals mailed from my university. Like, lol, whatever. You care more about my grades from school nearly 20 years ago than my 20 years of work history.

We still get requests from auditors. And they want stuff FAXED to them. Why? It's more secure they say. Never doubt the incompetency in bureaucracy.
That’s because none of them know how to open a .PDF in an iPhone. That’s why fax is so secure lol.

Tried to make a statement but they literally can’t say a single thing about Z because of HIPAA and PII laws.

But also, HIPAA and PII laws wouldn’t apply if he was actually practicing with the team because that’s an athletics department function.

So we know the situation by the silence. They know that and don’t like it, but they’re not allowed to even as much as say which situation they don’t like. So why say anything?

Waste of electrons.
Isn’t it FERPA and not HIPAA?

Last edited:
And the cherry on top of this sh!tbread sandwich is that the university has multiple (if it's the same as when I was there) professors, esp. the math dept., who speak English as a 2nd language and are all but indecipherable.
I had to transfer from a class at UK due to literally not being able to understand the professor. Ridiculous......

I wish there was some kind of English speaking requirement for their professors in my engineering/chemistry/calculus courses 40 years ago.

Edit: Didn't read the last page or so prior to posting. I was getting angry just remembering that ancient history.

• Love
Reactions: Girthang and Wonky
There would be no rumors if the University would be transparent about these things. But they are tighter than a nuns **** about anything involving one of our recruits or players. Injuries, transfers, going pro or staying, its all a big secret for some reason. Hell, at this point when they tell us something I don't even believe it. We will NEVER really know what's going on with this kid.
This is what the real problem is. No transparency.

And the cherry on top of this sh!tbread sandwich is that the university has multiple (if it's the same as when I was there) professors, esp. the math dept., who speak English as a 2nd language and are all but indecipherable.

Yep. Will never forget going to the “mathskellar” and walking out after 5 minutes when I couldn’t even understand my tutor. I’m proud of my degree from UK, but mostly because I had to overcome so many shitty professors/TA’s.

The fact that North Carolina has now won multiple national championships playing dudes who never even went to class, and our admin won’t admit a kid who speaks 4 languages, shows the playing field is not level. That’s the most troubling part of all this.
Speaks 4 languages and has some from of dyslexica.Its my understanding when he took the test no recourse were available at the time.

Yep. Will never forget going to the “mathskellar” and walking out after 5 minutes when I couldn’t even understand my tutor. I’m proud of my degree from UK, but mostly because I had to overcome so many shitty professors/TA’s.
I just changed majors. Animal Science didn't have that issue.

Sad for the kid and for our BB program that the admissions dept. have so much power.
This reminds me of a drunk lady that sat behind us Saturday at the football game. When the ref blew the fumble recovery dead and it took away our scoop and score she kept saying "That ref has too much power to stop that play. No man should have that much power." 😂😂

-One was RECRUITED by one of the schools because of their incredible academic record and background to come to UK from Northwestern, where they were an honors student. That's when the ADMISSIONS OFFICE shafted the VERY SAME student the school recruited, disallowing at LEAST 12 transfer credits from NU, BUT WAITING to tell them until AFTER the add/drop deadline of the SPRING semester, when they had been there for the fall already.
Dang. I would have burned the freaking school down.

That’s because none of them know how to open a .PDF in an iPhone. That’s why fax is so secure lol.
We literally have highly encrypted email portals for this reason. Is it hackable? Sure. Everything is technically speaking. But you'd have to try really freaking hard and have a lot of time on your hands, or be a nation state focused solely on a small company (unlikely to happen). Meanwhile, sending a fax, the fax lays on a open tray where technically anyone could grab it, take a picture of it, etc. Yeah, you know, secure.

EXACTLY!

That is truly THE benefit of going to college, and that's about it. You learn how shitty the system is and that you're more than likely gonna have to do it all on your own to get anywhere in life.

One of my professors spoke with a fake, English accent, and another was either Korean or Vietnamese and couldn't understand us any better than we could understand them.

Give some people a little power and they lose all common sense . if The Northwestern story is True there is no doubt the same person or group of persons have without good reason messed over a number of other students . They should be dismissed.

Really a poor look for UK administration. Really, really poor.

Announcements are to be made after shit is fixed. Not while you're staggering around like a damn drunk.

andrewisindie-drunk.gif

So you think the university should accept everyone that applies?
No one's really suggesting that, are they? It's weird that you picked up on that in this thread. But for an international star athlete who could potentially be an NBA All Star, who also speaks 4 languages and has an apparent learning disability (which in and of itself provides some leverage with testing accommodations), the obvious answer is that you let the kid in.

Wouldn't you agree?

So you think the university should accept everyone that applies?

First of all… every other top basketball school is. Sean Dockery could barely read. We all know about McCants and his teammates.

Second of all… this kid isn’t some dumbass. He speaks and understands English better than half the kids playing CBB right now. Not to mention other languages as well.

This entire fiasco is beyond absurd and worth someone raising hell. What does the language proficiency waiver depend on country of origin? Given the amount of jackwads admitted to UK and every other university, I can't imagine it's anything remotely academic. So it must just be that waiver.

Can't recall if it was last year or year before, the football team missed at least one transfer because of the admissions office. Came down to the last few days before camp.

Given that basically anyone can get in, it's pretty amazing scholarship athletes, especially in revenue sports, continue to have bs hangups.
Seriously... the average college student in 2023 is likely half a moron at best. 🤣

This kid probably has a better grasp of the English language than at least half the incoming class...

American public education has gone from bad to outright complete garbage.

Get your loved ones into skilled blue collar careers if they have any ambition or ability to work with their hands.

College at this point is a big waste of money and future debt unless you're planning on going to grad school.

I'm sure the paper pushers at UK who screwed this all up make sure to have their pronouns in their email signature.

95% acceptance rate and this kid can't get OK'd. Lol. Only at UK does this backwards ass shit happen.
Also would some of the idiots quit trying to blame.Cal and the basketball staff ? They did all.of the due diligence. Except for hiring new, competent admins.
First of all, up to the point you posted this, nobody said a thing about Calipari, so it's odd that you felt the need to defend him.

But secondly, Cal does need to catch some of the blame here. He waited until the 11th hour to try to bring this kid in. He sat on his hands waiting on Oscar and Livingston to tell him for the 50th time that they weren't coming back, so he missed out on a lot of talented portal guys. Then he waited and waited and waited, before deciding to get off his ass and try to get Z in.

The administration is the biggest issue here by a mile, but Cal didn’t help his own cause either.

Oh really? When did Cal decide to start recruiting Z?
I generally agree with you in most cases but not here. To be fair, you don't know when Cal started recruiting Z. You assume it was recently but that isn't certain. It may have been when his name started floating around. He could have been recruiting him all along and only put on the full court press when others fell through. Bottom line is Cal has no blame whatsoever in the fiasco with Z and admissions. He just doesn't and it really doesn't matter when Cal started recruiting him.

Reactions: jauk11 and jjsomer
First of all, up to the point you posted this, nobody said a thing about Calipari, so it's odd that you felt the need to defend him.

But secondly, Cal does need to catch some of the blame here. He waited until the 11th hour to try to bring this kid in. He sat on his hands waiting on Oscar and Livingston to tell him for the 50th time that they weren't coming back, so he missed out on a lot of talented portal guys. Then he waited and waited and waited, before deciding to get off his ass and try to get Z in.

The administration is the biggest issue here by a mile, but Cal didn’t help his own cause either.
i guess you have inside knowledge on when he wanted to come to the UK
of course my money would be you are just throwing out more of your BS that you think is fact because it is your opinion

I generally agree with you in most cases but not here. To be fair, you don't know when Cal started recruiting Z. You assume it was recently but that isn't certain. It may have been when his name started floating around. He could have been recruiting him all along and only put on the full court press when others fell through. Bottom line is Cal has no blame whatsoever in the fiasco with Z and admissions. He just doesn't and it really doesn't matter when Cal started recruiting him.
can't really agree with your line of thinking.
IF ccc would have recruited the transfer portal as he should have, then he may have landed the kid from Oregon that was a 5*. He is basically the same type of player as Z. Long, lanky, can shoot from outside, can rebound & block shots. Yet this arrogant coach decided to be held hostage by players that EVERYONE knew were not going to return & 1 that was practically forced to return.
Magically Huggy screws up his career & Mitchell drops from the heavens, and ccc adds Burks & Hart. Yet, help is still needed at the center position. Then both Bradshaw & Ugo have foot injuries causing even more concern over the lack of quality depth in the front court. Another wave of the magic wand & Z appears from across the waters. If as you say ccc was recruiting him all along & then just applied the desire for him to attend UK...my question is WHY? If this kid is as talented as he is supposed to be, why not sign him much earlier? Now everything seems well & good in big blue nation, except that Z is having problems being accepted by UK. Is this payback for ccc being an arrogant clown to everyone he contacts, including his boss? Who knows, but the fans are the ones that will suffer for his arrogance, just as they have with the worst record in UK history, the worst NCAA loss, the lousy coaching and worst of all, Kansas now is the all time leader in wins. All of this under this clowns tenure.
I hope that Z gets to play for UK, as he may bring some hope back to the program & the fans, many of which have given up as long as ccc is the coach.

can't really agree with your line of thinking.
IF ccc would have recruited the transfer portal as he should have, then he may have landed the kid from Oregon that was a 5*. He is basically the same type of player as Z. Long, lanky, can shoot from outside, can rebound & block shots. Yet this arrogant coach decided to be held hostage by players that EVERYONE knew were not going to return & 1 that was practically forced to return.
Magically Huggy screws up his career & Mitchell drops from the heavens, and ccc adds Burks & Hart. Yet, help is still needed at the center position. Then both Bradshaw & Ugo have foot injuries causing even more concern over the lack of quality depth in the front court. Another wave of the magic wand & Z appears from across the waters. If as you say ccc was recruiting him all along & then just applied the desire for him to attend UK...my question is WHY? If this kid is as talented as he is supposed to be, why not sign him much earlier? Now everything seems well & good in big blue nation, except that Z is having problems being accepted by UK. Is this payback for ccc being an arrogant clown to everyone he contacts, including his boss? Who knows, but the fans are the ones that will suffer for his arrogance, just as they have with the worst record in UK history, the worst NCAA loss, the lousy coaching and worst of all, Kansas now is the all time leader in wins. All of this under this clowns tenure.
I hope that Z gets to play for UK, as he may bring some hope back to the program & the fans, many of which have given up as long as ccc is the coach.
This isn't about the transfer portal. The transfer portal has nothing to do with Z and whether or not Cal waiting until the last minute to recruit Z. I responded to a comment specifically about the recruitment of Z. If you want to argue that Cal mishandled the portal, that is a completely different argument and one I would more than likely agree with you.

I will also note that your use of CCC and calling him a clown is a pretty good indicator of your position on Cal. More than likely, you would be unhappy with him no matter what he did or when he did it. You are showing a bias and am guessing nothing Cal does going forward will ever gain your approval.

I guess it's possible that Cal had been recruiting Z for many months, but unlikely.
Wasn't it just late last month that we heard about Antiqua, Chin and Chuck Martin heading overseas to recruit Z?
This is a byproduct of the culture here. Every year Cal has to jump through crazy hoops to fully rebuild the roster.
It's bad enough that these young HS kids string everyone along as long as they can, but we also have the NCAA and now, our own administration putting sticks in our spokes.
From what it looks like to me, Cal didn’t start recruiting this kid until August. I mean look at what's happening right now, yeah, the administration is screwing around, but it’s not like they were working on Z's eligibility in June, this has all been very late in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT