ADVERTISEMENT

Football ****** UK Football Practice Notebook - Oct. 16 ******

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Good Wednesday afternoon to ya HOB. Back over on campus for today’s practice report. It’s a better day than dreary Tuesday in Lexington, but it looks like the team is still in the fieldhouse due to some chilly temps and wind. Interestingly, the kickers are still working outside on their own. I’m sure a lot of emphasis on those snaps and holds this week. Oof. Anyway… Practice will wrap up around 5:30 ET. We’ll have DC Brad White and select coaches and players speaking with us about the matchup with Florida. Stay tuned for the latest news and notes…

BRAD WHITE Q&A:

* On Lagway at QB for Mertz… Feel bad for Mertz. Wish him a speedy recovery. DJ has got enough reps to know he’ll be comfortable running their system.

* Nothing about Florida’s system is easy.

* On accountability… Good response this week, have to carry that into a hostile environment. Hard to tell sometimes during the week until you get down there.

* On JJ Weaver… When he had to be corrected for a mistake in-game inn the past, he would let it affect him. He’s not letting that affect him as a sixth-year guy. Accepts the coaching and fixes the mistakes.

* As a defense thought last week was our worst performance of the year. Yards and points may not look bad, but should have got off the field on all 4 scoring drives by Vandy. Film looked like someone was raising their hand “My bad” on 50% of the plays. Not good.

* Wilson has big playmaking ability for Florida. Have to be aware of that and not allow the explosives.

ANWAR STEWART Q&A:

* We have to play more violent and physical up front this week, gotta hit this QB, get around his feet, make him get into situations where he has to throw it.

* On Deone facing so many doubles… Fact of life. Gotta deal with it.

* On the team discipline/focus issues.. I’m looking myself in the mirror, trying to find out what I can do better to help that.

* Every game is big, but this is definitely a big one. Have to go down there with a sense of urgency.

* We have to be the most physical team on the field for 60 min. Not 30, not 40. Sixty. In games we win, we win the trenches. Have to take pride in every yard matters.

DB JQ HARDAWAY:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.