ADVERTISEMENT

UK All-Time Draft Playoffs

90's kid here and I'm at the point of the draft where I can select my favorite player growing up. With confidence that he can lead my team to the promise land.

I select a player with Two National Championships... and a player with the single all-time most victories by a Wildcat Wayne Turner.

@hotelblue you are up

Last edited:
My selection doesn’t have the accolades necessarily but was arguably a top 5 player in the country. Electrifying, versatile, and can score from anywhere on the floor. He was born for today’s “positionless basketball”. Give me Antoine Walker

@UKNorse you’re up
i really hate you lol. wasn’t my first pick but would have been my second. so top 13. didn’t think you’d see too many tweeners in the first round. but i’m going a similar route.

give me my all-time favorite uk player. derek anderson.

@Rupp'sRunt

There's no way. Is that real? He's a top 5 pick even if you include Issel. Didn't get picked at all? Who the hell did the draft lol?

okay I’m wrong. I just looked again and he went 8th. I swear I looked through it 2 or 3 times after the draft was finished and didn’t see his name. Guess I just looked past it.

i really hate you lol. wasn’t my first pick but would have been my second. so top 13. didn’t think you’d see too many tweeners in the first round. but i’m going a similar route.

give me my all-time favorite uk player. derek anderson.

@Rupp'sRunt
I thought he would give me the most value being at that I can play him almost anywhere lol. I was too young to remember Walker playing but watching the replays from back in the day in this quarantine has made me realize he was a freak. Unreal talent.

I thought he would give me the most value being at that I can play him almost anywhere lol. I was too young to remember Walker playing but watching the replays from back in the day in this quarantine has made me realize he was a freak. Unreal talent.
versatility and dynamic is what makes this fun imo. picking players that are keys to the system you imagine is what makes it more random and tactful and not just picking off the all-time lists. there are guys that will be overvalued and undervalued. if you’re going for an up tempo style the walker and anderson types are premium imo. basically two of the best tweeners to ever play at uk. anderson was a g/f in college and a pro pg. walker was a pf then a point forward in the pros. he was such a great facilitator as a forward in college. he knew how to dissect a zone from inside the arc as good as any forward i’ve ever seen. his career really morphed but he was for a couple years a do it all player.

really my first pick defined the kind of team i’d have. my second pick will show how. da was g/f and played best as a wing and slasher in college, even as a pg in the pros he was as a slasher. he will be my college 3 like in ‘96. delk would have been a nice 2 but i was eyeing someone else who could fill it up like delk but a little better off the dribble. maybe as good a defender and a relentless runner for my push-the-tempo team. starting at two guard for my cats give me...

the university of jodie meeks.

@UKNorse

There was some other players I could certainly go with here for a popularity contest. But I'm here to build the best team regardless!

Welcome to the squad Kevin Grevey 7th all time on the UK points leader board but 2nd All time to Dan Issel when his UK career was over. He was UK best player on the legendary 1974-75 squad who knocked off undefeated Indiana before losing in the Championship against John Wooden in his last game.

There was some other players I could certainly go with here for a popularity contest. But I'm here to build the best team regardless!

Welcome to the squad Kevin Grevey 7th all time on the UK points leader board. He was UK best player on the legendary 1974-75 squad who knocked off undefeated Indiana before losing in the Championship against John Wooden in his last game.
he was a possible 6th man scorer for my team but figured he wouldn’t fall that many rounds. nice pick. volume scorer.

Reactions: DraftCat
Dang, was hoping cousins would somehow make it back to me
one of the few all-time favorites i couldn’t see on my team. but he’s so good it probably would have worked. best inside rebounder i’ve ever seen at uk. really not even close.

Dang, was hoping cousins would somehow make it back to me
There were alot of players under consideration knowing I had to wait 24 more picks. Fox was just the next best guard after wall, needed his speed, passing and ability to finish. It opens up offense. With Cuz there were alot of other players that I could've chosen, but Cuz's mean streak just puts him over the top. Also Cousins was built like an NBA C as a Frosh. In trump language hes "YUUUGEEEE"

Welcome to the squad Kevin Grevey 7th all time on the UK points leader board. He was UK best player on the legendary 1974-75 squad who knocked off undefeated Indiana before losing in the Championship against John Wooden in his last game.
Man i was hoping everyone would forget about Grevey. Smooth left hander that my papaw said was a “bad a** white boy”.

Nonetheless, my pick is arguably the best PG in school history. The all time season assist leader, consensus AA, SEC POY AND DPOY, SEC tourney MVP, and maybe the toughest SOB to ever play at the school. One of my all time favorite Cats. I can’t think of anyone better to lead my team, Tyler Ulis.

@GonzoCat90 you’re up my man

Man i was hoping everyone would forget about Grevey. Smooth left hander that my papaw said was a “bad a** white boy”.

Nonetheless, my pick is arguably the best PG in school history. The all time season assist leader, consensus AA, SEC POY AND DPOY, SEC tourney MVP, and maybe the toughest SOB to ever play at the school. One of my all time favorite Cats. I can’t think of anyone better to lead my team, Tyler Ulis.

That's the one guy I had in mind that might make it back to me.

Reactions: jwhite123

Love Ulis would of definitely considered him if I didn't go Turner in the 1st.

Grevey was a stud... Once he came to my mind and I did a little more research on him he was a no brainer. Unfortunately he may not ring a bell for some voters.. crossing my fingers on that one.

nice pick. one of my all-time favorites as well. in my top 10 anyway. loved watching him play. your team already has two great facilitators. one at the point and one in the post.

Grevey was a stud... Once he came to my mind and I did a little more research on him he was a no brainer. Unfortunately he may not ring a bell for some voters.. crossing my fingers on that one.
if this thing were being done by computers based on stats you’d be loving him even as a first pick. that guy scored a hell of a lot of points and was a 2x aa. not many in this draft (if any) will be able to say that.

if this thing were being done by computers based on stats you’d be loving him even as a first pick. that guy scored a hell of a lot of points and was a 2x aa. not many in this draft (if any) will be able to say that.

I'm open to a computer generated playoff haha

Reactions: hotelblue
If you don't have a post presence, you're a fraud.

While AD was a tremendous defender, and Boogie was a great scorer, I want a player who can do both. Someone with the bulk to bang with the old school bigs and the skill to step out and shoot the 3.

Per 40 minutes he averaged 20 points on 57% shooting, 13 rebounds, 4.3 blocks. A consensus All American and number one overall NBA draft pick.

The best offensive repertoire we've seen from a big man at Kentucky in the modern era, a guy who has shown he can share minutes and still dominate, a guy who can even play alongside another center and be effective because of his skill set.

Give me Karl-Anthony Towns.

If you don't have a post presence, you're a fraud.

While AD was a tremendous defender, and Boogie was a great scorer, I want a player who can do both. Someone with the bulk to bang with the old school bigs and the skill to step out and shoot the 3.

Per 40 minutes he averaged 20 points on 57% shooting, 13 rebounds, 4.3 blocks. A consensus All American and number one overall NBA draft pick.

The best offensive repertoire we've seen from a big man at Kentucky in the modern era, a guy who has shown he can share minutes and still dominate, a guy who can even play alongside another center and be effective because of his skill set.

Give me Karl-Anthony Towns.

Damn you! Lol. Nice pick

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I’m shocked he was still available. I almost took him instead of Mercer & have been 2nd guessing myself ever since, lol.

When I saw I had the 8th pick, I figured Goose would be gone and that I'd be between KAT and Mercer. I had already talked myself into how I'd build around each of the 3 so I wouldn't be disappointed.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I’m shocked he was still available. I almost took him instead of Mercer & have been 2nd guessing myself ever since, lol.
i don’t think the pick is going to hurt you at all. an athletic scoring 3 is a premium this draft imo and in fact the first tier is already off the board (prince, mash, kenny). even antoine went high. he and mash were college 4’s but really 3’s as point forwards.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
you turning conservative? you sound like cal lol.

Unlike Cal, I'm going to let KAT show the full arsenal.

But when you really gotta get a bucket in the college game, it's hard to argue with parking that monster on the block and daring someone to stop it.

Reactions: hotelblue
When I saw I had the 8th pick, I figured Goose would be gone and that I'd be between KAT and Mercer. I had already talked myself into how I'd build around each of the 3 so I wouldn't be disappointed.

Steal of the draft so far, IMO. The good thing about those guys is they are multi-dimensional & can fit into any system & play with most anybody.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
i don’t think the pick is going to hurt you at all. an athletic scoring 3 is a premium this draft imo and in fact the first tier is already off the board (prince, mash, kenny). even antoine went high. he and mash were college 4’s but really 3’s as point forwards.

That’s exactly why I took Mercer with my first pick. Prince, K Walker & Mash were already gone & that was easily the position with the least depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT