ADVERTISEMENT

UConn vs ranked opponents

I feel like this is one of those stats that sounds worse than it actually it.

Hard to win on the road vs anyone much less ranked teams. From 14-24 I'm willing to bet several seasons in that mix where Uconn wasn't really any good (basically only 4 tournaments in that span).

It makes sense and while other teams probably don't have 19 straight (you figure at one point they fall into a win here and there) you can probably find similar records with a ton of teams in this senario
UConn was also well below program standards. They went 4 consecutive seasons without even making the tournament.

A large percentage of those road games will be against superior teams. We've had solid UK teams, even those that went to the Final Four, finish below .500 on the road in mediocre SEC seasons.

It is a bit anomalous, but it's not like they were conference juggernauts dicking away games on the road. They were generally plucky underdogs who were getting close but couldn't finish off solid teams on the road. The name on their jersey and recent championship is why it raises eyebrows.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I think people mean this season. Teams like Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova and Butler are having down years. Big East is typically stronger than they are this year.
I forgot that Georgetown used to have good teams.

5 of 6 in final fours as well.

No one was gonna beat 2009 unc though. Uconn surprisingly lost to msu in that final four though.
That
UCONN has had a lot of luck involved in the championships they've won. In 2011 they lost 4 of last 5 regular season games. Then beat the following:

14 seed Bucknell
6 see Cincinnati
2 seed San Diego State
5 seed Arizona
4 seed Kentucky
8 seed Butler

In 2014
10 seed St Joe's
2 seed Nova
3 seed Iowa State
4 seed MSU
1 seed Florida
8 seed Kentucky

13 seed Iona
5 seed SMC
8 seed Arkansas
3 seed Gonazaga
5 seed Miami
5 seed San Diego State

They've been on a right side of the LUCK factor a ton in the past 2 decades. Also had several 17+ loss teams as well. That Luck they've had won't continue long term.
They have had luck, 2014 especially because that team wasn’t that good at all. 2011 they had the best player in college basketball, and last year by the time the tourney started they were playing the best basketball out of anybody

Reactions: Neue Regel
UCONN has had a lot of luck involved in the championships they've won. In 2011 they lost 4 of last 5 regular season games. Then beat the following:

14 seed Bucknell
6 see Cincinnati
2 seed San Diego State
5 seed Arizona
4 seed Kentucky
8 seed Butler

In 2014
10 seed St Joe's
2 seed Nova
3 seed Iowa State
4 seed MSU
1 seed Florida
8 seed Kentucky

13 seed Iona
5 seed SMC
8 seed Arkansas
3 seed Gonazaga
5 seed Miami
5 seed San Diego State

They've been on a right side of the LUCK factor a ton in the past 2 decades. Also had several 17+ loss teams as well. That Luck they've had won't continue long term.
Every team needs some luck to get to the championship game. Their teams performed well when it mattered most.

Yes, can't take that from them. They also didn't have to face a gauntlet of high seeds like a lot of teams do to get there. That's where the luck comes in to play.
I mean yes, but that 2014 team did run through some high seeds, and us, which most concluded was underrated. Compare that to the last few times we made the tourney - we simply got outplayed, and out-coached.

Mike Rutherford story out today lists the 8 teams that have a chance to win the championship. And we aren't one of them. Purdue, UConn, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Tennesse, Arizona and Houston I think was the teams. Just a shame after getting our hopes up with this team.

Playing well is also a factor along with luck of the draw. Giving them their due they were on a roll in the tournament last year most of their games weren't close. FAU is another example of playing well at the right time.

Mike Rutherford story out today lists the 8 teams that have a chance to win the championship. And we aren't one of them. Purdue, UConn, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Tennesse, Arizona and Houston I think was the teams. Just a shame after getting our hopes up with this team.
Yep, no way we can win it now if Mike Rutherford says we can't.....

14 seed Bucknell
6 see Cincinnati
2 seed San Diego State
5 seed Arizona
4 seed Kentucky
8 seed Butler

In 2014
10 seed St Joe's
2 seed Nova
3 seed Iowa State
4 seed MSU
1 seed Florida
8 seed Kentucky

13 seed Iona
5 seed SMC
8 seed Arkansas
3 seed Gonazaga
5 seed Miami
5 seed San Diego State

The refs helped them against us twice. We really should have won 2014.

Who and why is he including teams like Kansas UNC and Duke in this lol. I mean don’t get me wrong these are good teams but they are definitely not in the same category of other teams in the list and there’s others that would be included before those teams

Not hearing what this tweet is claiming. Just seems like he was yapping a bit. But let's be honest, some things students say to players and coaches deserve a "I will knock you out" in response.
Deserve? Sure. But he’s the adult more than likely in that situation. You ignore it and walk away. I mean you’re never gonna see that punk again. Why react?

Not why I posted it at all. But as usual here’s some know it all jackass that brings the conversation back to Cal somehow. As if that’s not an amazing stat for a team that just won the title and is the favorite this year.
My fault. I apologize….i took your post the wrong way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT