ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Gives Hurley Contract Extension

Now that he's fat and happy, watch the decline.
I doubt it. He won't be able to keep up the standard of the last few years, but he's not going to have a noticeably bad decline. The guy's a legit psychopath and only cares about winning basketball games.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
I doubt it. He won't be able to keep up the standard of the last few years, but he's not going to have a noticeably bad decline. The guy's a legit psychopath and only cares about winning basketball games.

Yeah I don't see him or Uconn dropping off any time soon.

We can only hope the same thing will happen to Hurley as it did Cal after he signed his ridiculous contract. But it won't.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Good for him. He is where he wants to be, making what he wants to make. Should a, could a, would a does not matter once he signed on the dotted line. Hope he and his family are happy. Unless we play them, will not think about him here on out.

Don't get your hopes up. This isn't Cal.

UCONN will win another title by 2030 at least. He's an exceptional coach.
I agree. I think this year's experiences will be invaluable for the UK staff because they were forced to add more high-level transfers than any other program in America. Pope will turn Robinson, Carr, Garrison, and a few others into NBA players. That will help as they solidify their brand.

I think losing his big man will hurt. Don’t think they have anyone to play up to his level.

Dan Hurley won back to back championships and has 2 career Sweet 16’s. Great two year run but he’s done nothing outside of it. Maybe he’ll keep rolling or maybe he caught lightning in a bootle.
I can see something like the covid Lakers Championship, but the dude is legit. Give him props. We would have loved to have him. I am glad we have Pope though. I love the vibe around KY.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I'm just glad that Uconn is going to have to pay top dollar for their coach. You got your guy, things are going great for you.. but now you gotta pay almost $9mil a year, and that's going to sting every time that paycheck processes. It's going to probably cut funding elsewhere in the athletic department.

I think he'll be in the NBA in a few years and I honestly think Uconn will be glad to go back to a coach in the $3-5mil range.

Nick Saban of basketball if they win it this year. He may end up with 8 before he retires.

Love nothing more than to meet them in the final four or championship and beat them.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Can you imagine if Pitino had made a similar decision back in 1997?

He'd probably be sitting at 4 or 5 titles by now.
He would be Coach K right now IMO. He is already put into that top tier and he didn’t reach 60% of his potential here over a couple decades.

Nick Saban of basketball if they win it this year. He may end up with 8 before he retires.

Love nothing more than to meet them in the final four or championship and beat them.
Somebody needs to beat UConn in the final four bc at the moment they're undefeated once they reach that stage.

I'm just glad that Uconn is going to have to pay top dollar for their coach. You got your guy, things are going great for you.. but now you gotta pay almost $9mil a year, and that's going to sting every time that paycheck processes. It's going to probably cut funding elsewhere in the athletic department.

I think he'll be in the NBA in a few years and I honestly think Uconn will be glad to go back to a coach in the $3-5mil range.
Would he take the Knicks' job if it opened up?

Would he take the Knicks' job if it opened up?

I don't see how he doesn't. He wants to go to the NBA. And the Knicks are the 3rd best job after Boston and LA. Plus it would be on the east coast.

Let's be real, he's not gonna sustain just winning back to back titles. Because even if he does well next year, coaches will start to copy his offense and style. Eventually he's going to have a few years where he can't get out of the 1st weekend and he probably knows this more than anyone.

I bet that's his play here. Thibs is eventually going to prove that his win % is inflated because of playing his stars much more than other teams, and the Knicks will move on. But then again, they did just sign Mikal and they are poised to be pretty good the next few seasons. I don't think any player is 30 yet. So maybe it will be a while.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
That and just the random nature of a one and done tournament.

There's no doubt in my mind he's a good coach and no doubt in my mind Uconn will continue to be competitive. But the odds are really stacked here.

Tho TBF they were stacked on the odds of winning back to back titles and it happened lol.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
That and just the random nature of a one and done tournament.

There's no doubt in my mind he's a good coach and no doubt in my mind Uconn will continue to be competitive. But the odds are really stacked here.

Tho TBF they were stacked on the odds of winning back to back titles and it happened lol.

They did have a lot of seeding breaks though. Won 12 tournament games and they played one 1-seed, one 3-seed and one 4-seed. It's kind of remarkable how well it broke for them. They were obviously two great teams, but I'd argue that they got a very fortunate path, and they really only played one team that could stack up against them, and that was Purdue.

They're also losing a lot this year. Some coaches get a good team in a season, and sort of extend that out for further success. We saw Billy Donovan do it, we saw Jay Wright do it with a lot of the same team for that and title.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT