ADVERTISEMENT

TV sticks- roko...

billue

Freshman
Jan 2, 2003
can you record when using them or does it have a on demand feature. what do you consider to be the best. also if you have more than one do you have to pay for two services. as in if you have the sports package would you have to pay for it on all sticks.

maxresdefault.jpg

can you record when using them or does it have a on demand feature. what do you consider to be the best. also if you have more than one do you have to pay for two services. as in if you have the sports package would you have to pay for it on all sticks.

So that you get at least one straight answer: Basically streaming devices like RokU, Fire Stick, Chromcast, AppleTV are for playing streaming (on-demand) content from a service like Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu. For these you don't need to record anything because the content can be played over and over again with no additional charge other than your monthly fees.

However, you can also use them as a "cable box" for TV services like Playstation Vue or SlingTV. You pay one monthly fee for those and you can use the service (channels like SEC network, ESP etc...) on as many devices as you want with some limitations on the number of devices that you can play AT THE SAME TIME.

My understanding is that Sling has NO "record" feature. Playstation Vue does allow you to record shows to cloud storage and access them from any device.

Your questions indicate maybe an incomplete understanding of how it all works. You might want to get a friend who has a Roku or Fire Stick help you set that up...

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
If you're tech savvy and not afraid to bend the rules of copyright law, everything you need is at your fingertips with the exception of recording live sports.

I have a Firestick with Netflix. Jail broke it myself in 10 seconds and installed Kodi + several add ons that allow me to pretty much watch whatever I want live or on demand (with the exception of sports. That's live only.)

I pay $10 a month for Netflix + $50 a month for internet. Beats the hell out of $200 to Comcast for TV, Internet and DVR.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
So that you get at least one straight answer: Basically streaming devices like RokU, Fire Stick, Chromcast, AppleTV are for playing streaming (on-demand) content from a service like Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu. For these you don't need to record anything because the content can be played over and over again with no additional charge other than your monthly fees.

However, you can also use them as a "cable box" for TV services like Playstation Vue or SlingTV. You pay one monthly fee for those and you can use the service (channels like SEC network, ESP etc...) on as many devices as you want with some limitations on the number of devices that you can play AT THE SAME TIME.

My understanding is that Sling has NO "record" feature. Playstation Vue does allow you to record shows to cloud storage and access them from any device.

Your questions indicate maybe an incomplete understanding of how it all works. You might want to get a friend who has a Roku or Fire Stick help you set that up...

I think Sling does have a cloud package. Looking to get it again for the UK Basketball season and saw it as a feature.. they;ve added quite a bit since I cancelled it last March.

Sling also has a few bundles with various Roku devices. You can get the Roku Express for free, or the top Roku model for only $50 with the subscription.

If you're tech savvy and not afraid to bend the rules of copyright law, everything you need is at your fingertips with the exception of recording live sports.

I have a Firestick with Netflix. Jail broke it myself in 10 seconds and installed Kodi + several add ons that allow me to pretty much watch whatever I want live or on demand (with the exception of sports. That's live only.)

I pay $10 a month for Netflix + $50 a month for internet. Beats the hell out of $200 to Comcast for TV, Internet and DVR.
A Firestick doesn't need to be jailbroken. All you do is install the Kodi app...

A Firestick doesn't need to be jailbroken. All you do is install the Kodi app...

You still have to go in an allow it to accept non-supported third-party apps because you need one of those browser emulators to download Kodi in the first place.

It's literally sliding one slider in the settings. That's why I laugh at people who pay $200 for a jailbroken firestick with Kodi installed.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
You still have to go in an allow it to accept non-supported third-party apps because you need one of those browser emulators to download Kodi in the first place.

It's literally sliding one slider in the settings. That's why I laugh at people who pay $200 for a jailbroken firestick with Kodi installed.
That’s not jail breaking. That’s called changing settings.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
That’s not jail breaking. That’s called changing settings.

I know. We're both in on the joke. People call it jailbreaking on firestick when it is simply changing the settings, which is much different than jailbreaking a smartphone.

We're on the same team here.

You aren't getting consistent, reliable high definition free streams in Kodi, at least not anything approaching the reliability and ease of use of a paid service like sling, directtv playstation etc..

Also, the reason why those streams are free in the first place is because they are hosted on servers which distribute malware. The man is watching you too, you better believe it. YOu should be using a VPN if you are going to use Kodi for a non-legitimate purposes; they are already going after people legally in Britain so it's only a matter of time before the corporations here too get tired of losing revenue.

The correct answer here for this guy is that posted above, get any stick/box and sign up for one of the legitimate competing providers.

Or Plex w/NAS.

I’m so disappointed in myself, but I installed Kodi on a free-to-me Amazon Fire stick today. Seems pretty cool. Do you haXXors use a VPN or just roll the dice and hope the feds don’t come to your house and separate you from your kids?

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Since you figured out Kodi look up Terrarium TV and try it out. It’s been more reliable recently for me.

And no on the VPN, I’ve been watching and downloading pirated stuff for 10+ years on Insight, TWC, and Spectrum and have never gotten even a warning. They’re more worried about the people uploading.

I’m so disappointed in myself, but I installed Kodi on a free-to-me Amazon Fire stick today. Seems pretty cool. Do you haXXors use a VPN or just roll the dice and hope the feds don’t come to your house and separate you from your kids?

I just roll the dice because they've got bigger fish to fry than me. This has been my standing piracy policy since Napster in 1999.

Annnnnnd .... the feds probably will be at my place tomorrow.

I’ve downloaded tons of stuff over the years too, but there seems to be a few more layers to all this Kodi stuff, so I wasn’t sure.

I’ll check out Terrarium.

My father, who also has dementia, broke his hip the Tuesday before Derby and has been in a rehab center ever since. The Roku has been worth it's weight in gold. He basically watches Blue Bloods on a loop.

Reactions: funKYcat75
I used to be a big fan and high recommender of Kodi. With that said, Terrarium is considerably better if all you care about is streaming movies and TV shows.

Alas, I do the vast majority of my TV/movie watching via legal ways, such as via cable and subscription streaming services. I just use Terrarium to catch up next day on TV shows I miss because I don't have a DVR.

Basic cable service comes with my apartment without a DVR and is included in my rent. If I wanted to upgrade to a DVR, I'd have to pay for the entire cable bill and the cost of my rent would stay the same. I'd essentially be paying twice for cable TV just to get a DVR, and that doesn't make a lick of damn sense to me.

I can’t believe people are still screwing with that kodi bs. Do yourselves a favor and spend 10 minutes putting terrarium on the fire stick.
This. I dropped Kodi when all the crap started to hit the fan back in the fall or early winter with all the add-ons starting to not work and what not. Nice thing about Terrarium is it just works without having to do anything other than install the app.

It was like when I heard all over the years from Mac people how Macs just work without the hassle you get a lot of times on a PC and that they last a long time. I called BS because I didn't really have too many problems on a PC and I could normally get like 4 good years out of a PC before the performance drag really started to kick in. Got a Mac and like "damn, these MFers were right." Everything just works so much better and this damn machine is still humming along just as good as it did the day I got it.

Installed Terrarium. Seems pretty cool so far. Missing some recent stuff, but I’m sure it’ll show. Muuuuch faster than Kodi.

Dumped DirecTV for DirecTV Now and Netflix by using Roku sticks. Saving about $100 bucks a month and still get all of the channels I had with DirecTV. Should have done it a long time ago.

Dumped DirecTV for DirecTV Now and Netflix by using Roku sticks. Saving about $100 bucks a month and still get all of the channels I had with DirecTV. Should have done it a long time ago.
I dumped them after 10 years when AT&T began the process of non-negotiation and lies. They literally charged my credit card on file when I asked for a break on my bill as I was talking to a rep on the phone! That was the last straw. I won't be back for any DirecTV/AT&T product of any kind.

Installed Terrarium. Seems pretty cool so far. Missing some recent stuff, but I’m sure it’ll show. Muuuuch faster than Kodi.

Only thing I don’t like about Terrarium is the lack of Trakt or tmdb integration. With Exodus I had all of my wife’s favorite movies and TV shows (and Hallmark movies) on one touch access.

Y’all gonna get raped in prison with a big Kodak Stick or whatever all you all is using to watch dirty pictures.

HULU TV has a DVR option to record your streaming shows.

I just cut the cord and removed Directv this week. I currently have 2 Rokus and 1 Apple TV. Subscribe to Youtube TV, Hulu Live, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I have only been using this for a couple of weeks, but it's pretty close to what I'm used to. I don't have MTV, but I only watch one show on that channel. Youtube TV is great as it records everything I want - no limit on DVR. The only things I watch live are sports and news and I get all of that through Youtube as well.

Still a little weird though

Reactions: jameslee32
ADVERTISEMENT