ADVERTISEMENT

What would you do?

Dec 10, 2023
Bob's Country Bunker
So a guy I know, not a good friend but cordial.......

His son has an eye popping amount in unpaid property taxes and I don't know if he knows it because I know daddy has the money to pay it off and would have long ago I would think. I pay mine online and it's on the same page as mine so I couldn't help but see it.

Would you tell the guy? Send him an anonynous note? Stay out of it?

It's a few years of taxes, racking up attorney's fees and interest every day and my fear is that daddy will eventually have to bail him out at a number that will hurt him. It may already. Also, how long do they let you live in a house that you aren't paying taxes on ?????

tumblr_inline_nom9y7jtvr1qamdxu_250.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
There needs to be more truth told in this world. Something to think about…

I just got some bad news that would have been exponentially less bad had someone told me almost 5 years ago when they should have. It would have still been bad and I would have been pissed, but nothing compared to what I am now.

• Wow
Reactions: H. Lecter
I don’t think it’s your responsibility if you’re not good friends. Some people may get really upset you meddling in their business.

Also, there may be a reason behind it you don’t know about. Also also, it appears you looked at it a while, not just “it was on the same screw and I just saw it real quickly.”

You saw attorneys fees, taxes etc.

You’re looking at it all wrong. Most places sell off their property tax debts. Buy it and put max interest into your lien. Later, when he tries to sell or transfer ownership, Dad will have to pay you off, and paying a friend is way better than paying the government. Problem solved and you took Dad’s money. Win-win.

Not enough info. How much is an eye popping amount of tax, what is the property worth, how much equity is in the property and what is the state of the father son relationship? I am not sure why daddy should be expected to bail out his adult child especially if the child can't bother to ask for help (assuming he hasn't). In any case, without more info, I wouldn't get involved especially if you are not a close friend.

Last edited:
I would go thru a mutual friend that has a long relationship with the dad and let him make the dad aware of the issue. You don’t want to see the kid lose everything when the county opens it up to sell if it’s a worthwhile property since the investment firms will make a decision after they research the return. Give the kid a chance and it’s up to dad to find out what the hell is wrong he can’t pay his bills. I would almost guarantee the kid has maxed out his credit cards, that’s the kind that get way behind. 🍺

I would go thru a mutual friend that has a long relationship with the dad and let him make the dad aware of the issue. You don’t want to see the kid lose everything when the county opens it up to sell if it’s a worthwhile property since the investment firms will make a decision after they research the return. Give the kid a chance and it’s up to dad to find out what the hell is wrong he can’t pay his bills. I would almost guarantee the kid has maxed out his credit cards, that’s the kind that get way behind. 🍺
It's a tough call to make, but this is the route I would go. Sounds like a Son that needs to get his priorities in order. Hopefully, for his sake, it's just laziness and not anything more serious going on with him.

There needs to be more truth told in this world. Something to think about…

I just got some bad news that would have been exponentially less bad had someone told me almost 5 years ago when they should have. It would have still been bad and I would have been pissed, but nothing compared to what I am now.
What happened?

So a guy I know, not a good friend but cordial.......

His son has an eye popping amount in unpaid property taxes and I don't know if he knows it because I know daddy has the money to pay it off and would have long ago I would think. I pay mine online and it's on the same page as mine so I couldn't help but see it.

Would you tell the guy? Send him an anonynous note? Stay out of it?

It's a few years of taxes, racking up attorney's fees and interest every day and my fear is that daddy will eventually have to bail him out at a number that will hurt him. It may already. Also, how long do they let you live in a house that you aren't paying taxes on ?????

I would kick the deadbeat son out, then use the house-to-house illegals, then wait for the tax credit for housing said migrants. Daddy will make money off of deadbeat kid failing to pay his taxes! Not to be nosey but is your cordial friends last name Biden?

No kidding. I was talking to my dad about it and todl him there's no telling who else he owes. The guy is 34. He's runing hi entire life.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Not enough info. How much is an eye popping amount of tax, what is the property worth, how much equity is in the property and what is the state of the father son relationship? I am not sure why daddy should be expected to bail out his adult child especially if the child can't bother to ask for help (assuming he hasn't). In any case, without more info, I wouldn't get involved especially if you are not a close friend.
I'll just say it's less than 100,000 he owes.

I don’t think it’s your responsibility if you’re not good friends. Some people may get really upset you meddling in their business.

Also, there may be a reason behind it you don’t know about. Also also, it appears you looked at it a while, not just “it was on the same screw and I just saw it real quickly.”

You saw attorneys fees, taxes etc.

I sure did. Like I said, I couldn't avoid seeing the bottom line number. I saw a crazy number and wanted to know why. Please spare me.

Reactions: roguemocha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT