ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker says next few days are going to be ''very, very eventful"

It’s an interesting phenomenon to see this board go into meltdown over things we don’t know. I’m old enough to remember when people would freak out over things that happened. Now we freak out over the unknown.

I hope that no one seriously thinks that UK will go with a 7 man roster next season. There will be at least 10. It’s going to be OK. Please step back from the ledge. Deep breaths.
there may be 10 on the roster, but it will not be ok
the program is trashed
There was some very good talent in the portal & this clown did not even make an inquiry, so no, it will not be ok

It’s an interesting phenomenon to see this board go into meltdown over things we don’t know. I’m old enough to remember when people would freak out over things that happened. Now we freak out over the unknown.

I hope that no one seriously thinks that UK will go with a 7 man roster next season. There will be at least 10. It’s going to be OK. Please step back from the ledge. Deep breaths.
I agree, but are the players we add just bench players? Are any coming in to sit, because these 3 will start (Edwards, Wagner and Bradshaw) so, we have 2 openings right now for soon to be 7 players, shouldn’t be an issue to get some good players.

there may be 10 on the roster, but it will not be ok
the program is trashed
There was some very good talent in the portal & this clown did not even make an inquiry, so no, it will not be ok
You mean he didn't make an inquiry *that you know about*. This doesn't mean he didn't reach out to players, whether backchannels or not. Schools are making inquiries into Reeves right now, but you don't see Reeves tweeting about who it is. Not everything is designed to be public knowledge for all of BBN to revel in...

Reactions: Cat517
Players leaving as soon as possible is happening everywhere. Nearly 200 division one players declared for the draft, knowing there are only 60 picks, and also knowing there are several dozen foreign players also in the draft. And 20+% of division one players entered the transfer portal.

We spend so much time focused solely on UK that it seems like their problems are unique. They’re not!
yes, it is now happening most everywhere..........
the problem is this has happened @ UK since the arrival of ccc
this is an annual ritual, but this year is even worse than "normal"

It would have been stopped if Cal had prioritized Kentucky basketball over getting guys drafted. People keep failing to realize that Cal sees his job completely different than how fans do. Multiple quotes from Cal tell you exactly what he feels his job is.
Exactly right. He's been telling us for years what he's doing but we haven't been listening ... or simply ignoring the facts. It's an ugly picture that Cal and his OAD's are OK with and he's being paid very well for his malfeasance. Each year is a crap shoot and the players that need more college time just transfer out for better opportunity elsewhere rather than stay and be believed to be failures for not being drafted after ONE YEAR. It's pathetic.

Good to know there’s a few here who get it.

You have a fanbase that wants the most talented and deep roster possible for the sake of winning a national championship.

And you have a coach that wants to get his select group of elite recruits to the NBA because he told their families that’s what he would do for them.

It really is that simple, most just don’t want to believe it.
absolutely correct
he promises these incoming freshmen starting jobs & positions
then he has to seek their approval to add any players
when they say no or threaten to leave, that is it. ccc runs with his tail tucked between his legs like a whipped puppy

disagree
there were better players in the portal if this idiot of a coach would have gotten them
Here I am replying to 2 different of your posts, here we go again I guess.

But whether you hate Cal or love him, can we all please stop pretending EVERYONE in the portal wants to come to UK? Some want to say on the west coast, some the east coast. Some want guaranteed NIL. But here's what's important to note: some want to be THE guy, to get starter minutes. Which means Kentucky ain't the spot for them..

Reactions: Cat517 and thedahc

But whether you hate Cal or love him, can we all please stop pretending EVERYONE in the portal wants to come to UK? Some want to say on the west coast, some the east coast. Some want guaranteed NIL. But here's what's important to note: some want to be THE guy, to get starter minutes. Which means Kentucky ain't the spot for them..
EVERYONE?How about landing just one guy.

I have absolutely zero experience building a collegiate roster, but here's what I would want Calipari to pursue moving forward...

If there's a few absolute studys in HS, maybe like DJ and Justin Edwards, bring those dudes in. Recruit them hard, make them a priority, get it done. But I'd probably stop at 2 or 3 of them

Then boom. It's portal time. Free agency. Experience, style of play, proven track record, etc. I build the rest of my roster from there.

Can we recruit some 4 stars that are on board to stay for a few years and develop - ABSOLUTELY. But don't fall in love with that concept, since those are typically the dudes who are going to hit the portal eventually.

If you were more secure in yourself and trusted your own beliefs on current reality, you wouldn’t feel compelled to routinely chop everyone up for their thoughts and opinions. You’d just read them and laugh.
Laugh!!!! This is a lot about knowing what you can’t control and moving on. These are kids operating on huge sums of money receiving advice from greedy adults. Watching grown men wailing and babble over something so completely chaotic is noteworthy. I got news for you, it’s gonna get much much worse. If you weren’t so consumed with finding trivia and nits to pick in a failed attempt to bash KY you’d see that. Welcome to semipro college basketball.

Reactions: cdbearde
EVERYONE?How about landing just one guy.
Just this off season? Or do you mean Wheeler, Oscar, Reeves, CJ, and Toppin?

So if he lands one player, you won't have any more complaints? Or will you complain about which player he landed. Not a good enough shooter, not from a major conference, not an all-conference player, etc?

Reactions: thedahc
So Cal has totally abandon development of players not ready for the NBA. Almost every kid that comes in not intent on leaving as soon as they arrive, is pushed to the back burner and made to feel like a 2nd class citizen in Cal’s program.

So this is what we get for that lack of effort toward building for the future.

Then when he tries to recruit transfer players, they ALL know that with the Freshmen One-and-Done’s, they too will be placed on the back burner. Resulting in them choosing to go where they are appreciated.

SAD
This is spot on. 1000% accurate of how this played out

no one has said that everyone wants to be at UK, especially since ccc promises starting spots & playing time to his prized freshmen. The problem is that there are man players that would want to be here if given the chance. You don't think the kids that went to IU or UT or the big guy that went to Ciny would have entertained the idea of coming to UK? I think that they would have, but we will never know as they weren't shown the time of day by ccc.
IF you enjoy watching UK look like an AAU squad, that can't make a decent pass, or have any semblance of an offense, then more power to you. If I wanted to watch high school kids, I could go every Friday night and see them play. Most would be playing for better coaches that teach fundamentals and help them improve.

I don't think minutes has anything to do with it.Lther schools are throwing the NIL out there and UK won't.
I think word is everywhere that he plays favorites, doesn't teach much offense, allows certain players to hide on the bench, hasn't won anything of note in years and years. 100% guarantee that when conversation comes up between recruits and other teams that it goes something like this "yeah, Kentucky has had a lot of talent but they have pissed away that talent and their coach thinks winning a league isn't important".

at the end of the day it doesn't matter who he got or didn't

I'm not worked up at all about the portal, I question if there is any collection of players in it that can turn UK into a title team,

but that's Cals job - have UK be a title contender.

I applaud anyone who is concerned with the dearth of talent, but don't be, just hold Calipari accountable
for every loss, every failure to meet the stated objectives of the job.

His stated objectives, btw, when he was hired in on day 1.

How do you recommend he do that? He can’t offer NIL. KY collectives got out bid. Maybe have Cal use a club like they used to get hands for a ship?
well, the 1st step would be to contact them
Dickinson and the kid from san diego state are the only ones that were truly contacted
Don't know how NIL works so can't comment about that

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
If you were more secure in yourself and trusted your own beliefs on current reality, you wouldn’t feel compelled to routinely chop everyone up for their thoughts and opinions. You’d just read them and laugh.
If you were more secure in yourself you would be more of a UK fan and less a Cal hater.

I have absolutely zero experience building a collegiate roster, but here's what I would want Calipari to pursue moving forward...

If there's a few absolute studys in HS, maybe like DJ and Justin Edwards, bring those dudes in. Recruit them hard, make them a priority, get it done. But I'd probably stop at 2 or 3 of them

Then boom. It's portal time. Free agency. Experience, style of play, proven track record, etc. I build the rest of my roster from there.

Can we recruit some 4 stars that are on board to stay for a few years and develop - ABSOLUTELY. But don't fall in love with that concept, since those are typically the dudes who are going to hit the portal eventually.
it has been shown, that players improve more after they leave UK. I just believe that if the kid isn't a 4 or 5 star, then he doesn't give them much attention.
Juzang, Matthews, the kid that went to Providence were much better players at their new schools than they were at UK. Herro & Bam were much better in the pros their 1st year than they were at UK. I just don't think there is much coaching that happens under ccc. Under Pitino, you could see the improvement, but not now.

Last edited:
You must be kin to Cal. Your always there to back this sinking of the program so I ask. When do you become concerned about the state of UK BASKETBALL? If not having enough players to practice 5 on 5 don't do it then what does?
Well I know Cal has a plan and it will all work out in the end. You are pushing all the panic buttons as usual without knowing what the final roster will look like. Enjoy.

it has been shown, that players improve more after they leave UK. I just believe that if the kid isn't a 4 or 5 star, then he doesn't give them much attention.
Juzang, Matthews, the kid that went to Providence were much better players at their new schools than they were at UK. Herro & Bam were much better in the pros their 1st year than they were at UK. I just don't think there is much coaching that happens under ccc. Under Pitino, you could see the improvement, but not now. In fact
Most players improve as they get older and have more experience.

So Cal has totally abandon development of players not ready for the NBA. Almost every kid that comes in not intent on leaving as soon as they arrive, is pushed to the back burner and made to feel like a 2nd class citizen in Cal’s program.

So this is what we get for that lack of effort toward building for the future.

Then when he tries to recruit transfer players, they ALL know that with the Freshmen One-and-Done’s, they too will be placed on the back burner. Resulting in them choosing to go where they are appreciated.

SAD
Exhibit A is Bryce Hopkins. Kid balls out with his best game with 13 pts in 16 mins, and basically sits for the next three games. Then explodes at Providence. And how many times do guys need to hear "I need to play so and so more", with no follow-through, before they get sick of it? Or to hear your coach say "I forgot to put so and so in". What? Cal only cares about the NBA prospect players. That's been evident for years.

Landing this loaded class and having NOTHING around them is complete neglect. Calipari should be embarrassed at this point.

The Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe group had guys like Patterson, Miller, Harris, Stevenson, etc. to support them and provide some experience.

The title team had Jones, Lamb, Miller, Liggins, Harrellson, etc.

And so on.

This group has zilch. A total of two players, sophomores, who hardly/never played last season because they weren't ready. One 3-star and another pure potential big.
So you know what the final roster will look like. Please give us a hint.

And you would not say something positive because you are so stubborn.
I have said positive things on here many times. Go check the Oscar and Lance ware threads. I give players credit alot because they deserve especially with what they have to overcome. Name me 3 things cal derserves praise for that aren’t this recruiting class?

well, the 1st step would be to contact them
Dickinson and the kid from san diego state are the only ones that were truly contacted
Don't know how NIL works so can't comment about that
Please provide a link.

But Reeves has been here. He knows what the NIL potential is at UK
Reeves would be hoping to put up video game numbers somewhere , in addition to making some NIL . Here , he could bank 6 figures NIL , but maybe not get to take 22 shots a game and improve his stock. I think its his defense that would hold him back professionally if anyone watched film , as he’s not a great defender .

at the end of the day it doesn't matter who he got or didn't

I'm not worked up at all about the portal, I question if there is any collection of players in it that can turn UK into a title team,

but that's Cals job - have UK be a title contender.

I applaud anyone who is concerned with the dearth of talent, but don't be, just hold Calipari accountable
for every loss, every failure to meet the stated objectives of the job.

His stated objectives, btw, when he was hired in on day 1.
Exactly. All of this ultimately falls on Cal. The guy is simply not getting the job done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT