ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly says UK will still make move on Hurley

University-6

Sophomore
Sep 28, 2017
GKuY0tbXAAAQC6S

This is all you can ask for in this situation. If we end up with Drew after this then that’s what was realistically available but you have to make Hurley say no first. Personally, I’d also make Oats say no before moving to Drew but that’s me.
Oats said no last night.

People keep saying "Make them say no." But if they've already said no once, we don't have to make them say it.

Oats said no last night.

People keep saying "Make them say no." But if they've already said no once, we don't have to make them say it.
Putting out a canned coach-speak response on Twitter isn’t the same thing as turning away an offer presented to your agent. No one on this site knows if that’s happened with Oats or not, Barnhart may think Drew is the better fallback option.

I appreciate the ask but I just don't see him taking it at all. If you're going after someone who already said no, it should be oats because he had some interesting imo.

As much as I don't want drew, you can't keep chasing guaranteed nos to the point you lose the best of the rest.

Starting to feel alot like Mitch courting parcells back in the day. All in on a major longshot to the point where all other candidates were out. Fortunately our last resort turned out well but not because it was a good approach.

UConn will probably match anything UK offers. Just can’t see him leaving with what he is building there, even if they offer a little less.
They might not be able to. Someone posted a link to an article last night that showed their athletic dept has a total budget of about 90 million and it was operating at about a 30 million dollar deficit. If that’s accurate, I have serious doubts they’d be able to give Hurley a 5-7 million dollar raise.

He might want to stay and build his legacy at Connecticut, but I don’t think money will be an issue.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Hey, at least we're fighting for it. If we land Drew because we tried for others unsuccessfully, then so be it.

If we land Drew because we never even tried for guys like Wright, Hurley, etc.. then that's just another step towards becoming irrelevant.
Exactly. He’s an excellent back up plan if our top choices don’t pan out but I hope the rumors that Drew is Mitch’s first choice aren’t true

Who the hell is trilly and how does he know crap? Or is he just guessing like the posters on here just to get clicks? Does he have a friend in the AD feeding him info? LOL.

Reactions: Farsight
Remember- Drew has the #3 recruiting class coming in….i want Hurley, but cannot see him leaving after winning his second NCAA UNLESS he wants another challenge.

Reactions: TM2013
Putting out a canned coach-speak response on Twitter isn’t the same thing as turning away an offer presented to your agent. No one on this site knows if that’s happened with Oats or not, Barnhart may think Drew is the better fallback option.
I don't think most guys that WANT the job put out Twitter posts saying they're not leaving before even getting an offer.

He wasn't in a press conference with a microphone in his face. There was no pressure to say anything. By a lot of National Media accounts: Alabama donors/boosters are throwing a ton of money at NIL to make Bama work for Oats.

I get Hurley saying things after a national championship and in a press conference where he HAD to give an answer in front of UCONN people. But Oats from the comfort of his home? I think he means it.

Remember- Drew has the #3 recruiting class coming in….i want Hurley, but cannot see him leaving after winning his second NCAA UNLESS he wants another challenge.
I agree. The more I read about Drew and looking at his tenure at Baylor, the more he is growing on me. With UK's resources, I think he would be a great hire. If he can bring in the number 3 class at Baylor, I think he can do more at UK.

Oats said no last night.

I find these comments hilarious. EVERY coach says this until they take a new job. Cal said it at Memphis. He said it at Kentucky while he was negotiating with other schools. Dan Hurley said it after his last Rhode Island game and he was at UConn a week later. Releasing a statement or responding to a question on air to calm the fans means precisely dick.

I find these comments hilarious. EVERY coach says this until they take a new job. Cal said it at Memphis. He said it at Kentucky while he was negotiating with other schools. Dan Hurley said it after his last Rhode Island game and he was at UConn a week later. Releasing a statement or responding to a question on air to calm the fans means precisely dick.
Again...

Saying it in front of your players and administrators in a press conference after a game: I believe that means nothing.

Nate Oats was in the comfort of his own home. He had not received an offer. He was under no pressure to say anything.

It's different.

I don't think most guys that WANT the job put out Twitter posts saying they're not leaving before even getting an offer.

He wasn't in a press conference with a microphone in his face. There was no pressure to say anything. By a lot of National Media accounts: Alabama donors/boosters are throwing a ton of money at NIL to make Bama work for Oats.

I get Hurley saying things after a national championship and in a press conference where he HAD to give an answer in front of UCONN people. But Oats from the comfort of his home? I think he means it.
Unless he has a gut feeling or educated opinion that he’s not going to be getting an offer. Why not make it seem like you turned down a blue-blood that actually didn’t offer you because you’re such a devoted guy? What does he have to lose there? It’s the Rick Barnes effect…

Spot on.

Again...

Saying it in front of your players and administrators in a press conference after a game: I believe that means nothing.

Nate Oats was in the comfort of his own home. He had not received an offer. He was under no pressure to say anything.

It's different.
You don't think every sports reporter in Tuscaloosa was texting him asking about his interest in the UK job? Boosters inquiring? There was certainly some pressure for a statement.

Oats said no last night.

It's not official until we have a coach. It does not matter what they say. When UNC lost to Syracuse in the early 2000's at Kansas in the championship game, they asked if he would take the UNC job. He said far more harsh things than Hurley or Oats said. Then what happened? He was at UNC.

If the tv told you the sky was green would you believe it?

I don't understand this logic. People say stuff all the time, and lie all the time. We can all speculate all we want.

UConn will probably match anything UK offers. Just can’t see him leaving with what he is building there, even if they offer a little less.
The thing about UCONN is that they are broke af. They have no football to help out with the bills and there is already a discontent in the Connecticut assembly over spending and debt at the university. The only thing standing in the way of Hurley leaving is Hurley.

Have to a least ask. But if some of you think we’ll land Hurley, you’re setting yourselves up for major disappointment.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Some of yall, Please pay attention to reported facts so you don't sound uneducated on this topic.

Oats said no to Kentucky and every other college basketball job 6 weeks ago. When he & his agent negotiated a new Bama contract and agreed to a $18 M buyout. The only entity that can pay that is an NBA franchise. If he was open to coaching UK or anyone else in college he wouldn't have agreed to this $18M penalty. Oats will be Bama coach, until a pro owner pays up to hire him away.

This is the reality. This is facts. Better chance Pat Riley is next UK coach than Oats. So all yall stop namin him & stick to realistic guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT