ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Mitchell - 36 Minutes. Again.

Adou would be good at 4 with Ugo as long as you are running that lineup with Rob, Reed and Reeves. That puts 3 shooters on the floor. We should always have 3 guys who can shoot out there.

Rotation will start squeezing soon:

Wagner- 30
Reed- 30
Reeves- 30
Dilly- 25
Mitchell- 25
Bradshaw- 25
Thiero- 15
Edwards- 10
Ugo-10

If Edwards doesn't startaking an impact he will slide to bottom of rotation.
Mitchell gives us shooting and spreads the floor. He may have had a cold stretch, but he's 37% from 3 on the season. Thiero is shooting 17% from 3 on the season.

Kansas left him open and dared him to shoot it.

Mitchell is also a good passer and helps keep the offense flowing.

I'm not here to say Mitchell needs 36 minutes every night. But I'm not gonna act upset when it happens on occasion.

I'm aware. I've been saying +/- is the most misleading stat in basketball for a while now. But this board loves to cherrypick stats to make their point. Just like how advanced metrics are used when people think the offense is outdated but when those same advanced metrics say the offense is actually pretty damn good it gets ignored. Everyone bitching about Reed not getting enough PT this year because his +/- is so high should also think Tre had a great game today.
"the most misleading stat in basketball" - funny how that suddenly became the drumbeat of the cowbois once Sheppard started being its poster child.

Reactions: UKortho
maybe he shouldn’t have that many minutes today but let me ask you this would you rather have him in or edwards?

Reactions: bbncal02
He’s a solid player, for sure. But his play doesn’t warrant these kinds of minutes, especially with Bradshaw in the rotation. His defense is especially porous and he’s now 3/12 from deep over his last 4 games.

I don’t feel great about Bradshaw and Tre sharing the court for 32+ mpg, but that’s where this is headed.

Thiero with only 15 minutes today and the late thigh injury had very little to do with that.

Cal is gonna play 2 bigs. That's what he does. We have 2 bigs now.

Mitchell gives us shooting and spreads the floor. He may have had a cold stretch, but he's 37% from 3 on the season. Thiero is shooting 17% from 3 on the season.

Kansas left him open and dared him to shoot it.

Mitchell is also a good passer and helps keep the offense flowing.

I'm not here to say Mitchell needs 36 minutes every night. But I'm not gonna act upset when it happens on occasion.
Mitchell has been a good passer from the high post, he’s not a back to the basket power forward. He turned it over several times trying to make his own play down low today. He’s a great 5 out forward! He probably doesn’t need 36 minutes a game. He gets kinda lax on defense!

Thread 1: CAL RUINED THE OFFENSE

Thread 2: Why doesn't Cal give more minutes to Thiero. It will really help the defense!

People see what they wanna see. You think our new offense is amazing. You love Cal. We get it. Our new offense is scoring around 77 ppg, and the old one was scoring 94.

People see what they wanna see. You think our new offense is amazing. You love Cal. We get it. Our new offense is scoring around 77 ppg, and the old one was scoring 94.
I'm not commenting on the offense in the post you're quoting.

I'm pointing out that people just want to bitch over something. The offense has been worse. Cal is to fault for that.

Cutting Mitchell's minutes "because maybe Thiero gives us better defense" is NOT going to make it better.

I'm not commenting on the offense in the post you're quoting.

I'm pointing out that people just want to bitch over something. The offense has been worse. Cal is to fault for that.

Cutting Mitchell's minutes "because maybe Thiero gives us better defense" is NOT going to make it better.

People want UK to be UK again. We aren't UK.

+/- is the gospel to this board, and he was +16. Tied with Reed for second best today.
Adou is probably the worst +/- guy on the team. The great game he had against Kansas, worst plus minus. Best vs Kansas? Jordan Burks. There are so many variables that go into that stat that it should carry too much weight on its own.

Reactions: fatguy87
I figured Bradshaw would take Thiero’s minutes and Thiero would slide down to take Burks minutes. That is how it played out today.

Mitchell is playing too much, though. Thiero needs some of his minutes, not because he is better, but to keep Mitchell fresh throughout the season.

Cal should have learned his lesson with Grady a few years back, you shouldn’t play guys 35+ minutes, it’s just too hard on the body to play that many minutes all season.

He’s a solid player, for sure. But his play doesn’t warrant these kinds of minutes, especially with Bradshaw in the rotation. His defense is especially porous and he’s now 3/12 from deep over his last 4 games.

I don’t feel great about Bradshaw and Tre sharing the court for 32+ mpg, but that’s where this is headed.

Thiero with only 15 minutes today and the late thigh injury had very little to do with that.
It’s because he had 9 rebounds. Thiero had 2. Pay attention. He play d those minutes because he rebounded. Jeez, figure it out

Mitchell opens up the floor more by being able to shoot from outside.Adou really needs to work on that.
No question Thiero and some others need to work on that. But Mitchell hasn’t been lighting it up. 3/12 over his last four games and now at 34.5% on the year. And I can’t remember him not being wide open on any of these.

It’s because he had 9 rebounds. Thiero had 2. Pay attention. He play d those minutes because he rebounded. Jeez, figure it out
If you don’t think that Thiero would have more than 9 boards in 36 minutes, I don’t know what to tell you. You do understand that he has led the team all year in rebounds, right? And if you break it down to rebounds per 40 minutes, Mitchell is not even close. Jeez, figure it out.

He's 37% from 3 on the season. You'd like to give his minutes to Thiero--who shoots 17% from 3 on the season. Seems logical.
Nope. He’s 34.48% after that game. 10/29.

If his poor outside shooting continues, he’s drop below 30% soon.

Also, there’s more to basketball that outside shooting. Tre Mitchell is one of the worst defenders on this team. Is it a good idea to have someone like that in the court for 36 minutes? Didn’t go so well in our losses. He’s a huge liability.

Mitchell is a key player for this team. He held down the fort until some guys got healthy. UK would not be at 7-2 without him.
Those 2 losses had a lot to do with him, and his foul shooting. And you can point to his play vs. St Joes and say he was huge in OT - and you’re right. But if he defends better and makes his free throws in that game, there is no OT.

I don’t think it’s hate….its just saying with Bradshaw back….its Thiero that takes a haircut on minutes. Tee is a good player but he’s not great…below par rebounder is not t knock down shooter…so why not play him 28-30 minutes? That is all I say and agree with poster
It's not hate per se, it's just yet another thread where we call out one of our guys that while not have a great game, has been a sizable part of wins up to this point. Remember without Tre, we probably lose to freaking St. Joe's.

Nope. He’s 34.48% after that game. 10/29.

If his poor outside shooting continues, he’s drop below 30% soon.

Also, there’s more to basketball that outside shooting. Tre Mitchell is one of the worst defenders on this team. Is it a good idea to have someone like that in the court for 36 minutes? Didn’t go so well in our losses. He’s a huge liability.
Liability? Oooook.

GPMINPTSREBASTSTLBLKTOFG%FT%3P%
That's his per game average right now from ESPN. He's our blk leader at the moment and he's averaging 14.4 per pts per game. He's also avg 6.0 rebounds a game. Thiero does have more with 7.0. So, if Theiro and Tre are fairly equal on rebounding, I'm gonna go with Tre atm. He's literally our second highest avg scorer right now. The first is of course Reeves.

The only place I will agree he's a "liability" is at the charity stripe.

Those 2 losses had a lot to do with him, and his foul shooting. And you can point to his play vs. St Joes and say he was huge in OT - and you’re right. But if he defends better and makes his free throws in that game, there is no OT.
So we're gonna lay that OT squarely at his feet? Not sure if that's more horse crap or bull manure, but whatever. He's not the only one that left shooters wide freaking open that night. Reed did, Dilly did.....they all freaking did.

Reactions: gharding07
Anyone with a lick of basketball knowledge would agree...
Wrong. He is not a good rebounder (today was an exception), nor a good defender. He is a good passer though. But no one on this team is good enough to warrant 34-36mpg.

Reactions: K_TIME
Liability? Oooook.

That's his per game average right now from ESPN. He's our blk leader at the moment and he's averaging 14.4 per pts per game. He's also avg 6.0 rebounds a game. Thiero does have more with 7.0. So, if Theiro and Tre are fairly equal on rebounding, I'm gonna go with Tre atm. He's literally our second highest avg scorer right now. The first is of course Reeves.

Check out the rebounding thread from a few days ago. Mitchell is NOT equal to Theiro in rebounding. He gets 6/gm because he plays so many minutes. His per-30-min rebounding average is about 5.4, about the worst of any UK 4 or 5 in many years. Worse than even Sheppard and Dillingham. Theiro is around 7.8.

Wrong. He is not a good rebounder (today was an exception), nor a good defender. He is a good passer though. But no one on this team is good enough to warrant 34-36mpg.
Not a good rebounder? If we're going to argue empirical things, at least argue them correctly. He has 48 rebounds on the season.....second only to Adou......who has.....*checks notes* .....fourty freaking nine. So a grand total of 1 bigly more.

He is our second leading rebounder, and is one away from being our leading rebounder. So, yes, he is a good rebounder.

He's not a great defender. Hell, nobody on this team is. DJ is about the best on ball defender we have.

Reactions: gharding07
He's 37% from 3 on the season. You'd like to give his minutes to Thiero--who shoots 17% from 3 on the season. Seems logical.
Theiro is a better defender and rebounder. And those are our 2 areas of biggest need right now.

Not a good rebounder? If we're going to argue empirical things, at least argue them correctly. He has 48 rebounds on the season.....second only to Adou......who has.....*checks notes* .....fourty freaking nine. So a grand total of 1 bigly more.

He is our second leading rebounder, and is one away from being our leading rebounder. So, yes, he is a good rebounder.

He's not a great defender. Hell, nobody on this team is. DJ is about the best on ball defender we have.
I did argue them correctly. You are wrong!
Check out the detailed rebounding thread from a few days ago. Mitchell is NOT equal to Theiro in rebounding. He gets 6/gm because he plays so many minutes. His per-30-min rebounding average is about 5.4, about the worst of any UK 4 or 5 in many years. Worse than even Sheppard and Dillingham. Theiro is around 7.8

Check out the rebounding thread from a few days ago. Mitchell is NOT equal to Theiro in rebounding. He gets 6/gm because he plays so many minutes. His per-30-min rebounding average is about 5.4, about the worst of any UK 4 or 5 in many years. Worse than even Sheppard and Dillingham. Theiro is around 7.8.
You're literally arguing with the stats I just posted He's ONE behind Thierno. ONE.
I provided my source. Please provide yours.

I did argue them correctly. You are wrong!
Check out the detailed rebounding thread from a few days ago. Mitchell is NOT equal to Theiro in rebounding. He gets 6/gm because he plays so many minutes. His per-30-min rebounding average is about 5.4, about the worst of any UK 4 or 5 in many years. Worse than even Sheppard and Dillingham. Theiro is around 7.8

I'm not digging through a thread on a scavenger hunt. Sorry, not sorry. Prove the stats I just posted that are up to date as far as I know are wrong. I cited my source nd made it easy for you to look at, I request you do the same.

The stats LITERALLY show Thiero at 49 and Tre at 48. Are those numbers wrong, yes or no? So, if you're going to sit there and tell me Tre is not good at rebounding when the numbers have him a smidge behind Thiero (one rebound)?

Hell, UK's OWN stat site has Thiero averaging 6.4 rebounds per game.....with Tre at 6.3. So again, tell me how he's not good at rebounding?

Last edited:
I'm not digging through a thread on a scavenger hunt. Sorry, not sorry. Prove the stats I just posted that are up to date as far as I know are wrong. I cited my source nd made it easy for you to look at, I request you do the same.
You just made a mistake calling out the board Statistician (yes that is my PROFESSION) on statistics!

First of all the stats you posted were not including todays game, and today's game actually helps your feeble case (a little). Yes Mitchell was only 1 rebound behind Theiro. But you are ignoring that he had played 91 more minutes than Theiro. Theiro's per-30-min rebounding average was 7.9 (before today) That is about average (very slightly above average) for UK 4's & 5's the past 5 years. Mitchell's was 5.2 which is really bad. As a comparison, Dillingham is 5.7 and Sheppard is 5.1 and even Reeves is 4.5. Mitchell before today has been rebounding at a clip similar to our guards (except Wagner). The only 2 that have stood out are Theiro and Burks, both at 7.9.

Today's game helps Mitchell some. He is now up to 5.5, tied with Dillingham, which is still bad for a 4/5 player though. And Theiro is down to 7.7. By your flawed logic, last year Wheeler was a better rebounder than Onyenso was, since he had more Total rebounds, never mind the fact that Wheeler played over 5X more minutes than Onyenso. Onyenso was actually a very good rebounder at 11.5 per-30-min.

You just made a mistake calling out the board Statistician (yes that is my PROFESSION) on statistics!

First of all the stats you posted were not including todays game, and today's game actually helps your feeble case. Yes Mitchell was only 1 rebound behind Theiro. But you are ignoring that he had played 91 more minutes than Theiro. Theiro's per-30-min rebounding average was 7.9 (before today) That is about average (very slightly above average) for UK 4's & 5's the past 5 years. Mitchell's was 5.2 which is really bad. As a comparison, Dillingham is 5.7 and Sheppard is 5.1 and even Reeves is 4.5. Mitchell before today has been rebounding at a clip similar to our guards (except Wagner). The only 2 that have stood out are Theiro and Burks, both at 7.9.

Today's game helps Mitchell some. He is now up to 5.5, tied with Dillingham, which is still bad for a 4/5 player though. And Theiro is down to 7.7.

So you are keeping your own numbers; which you should have said that to begin with, instead of playing the gotcha game. I asked you to cite your source, and you didn't until "I called you out". Not fair, but whatever.

That also means you are going to be biased towards your own numbers, which is understandable. But again, be upfront. You weren't. I was using the resources I had, thanks.

Have a good night.

So you are keeping your own numbers; which you should have said that to begin with, instead of playing the gotcha game. I asked you to cite your source, and you didn't until "I called you out". Not fair, but whatever.

That also means you are going to be biased towards your own numbers, which is understandable. But again, be upfront. You weren't. I was using the resources I had, thanks.

Have a good night.

I told you to go look at that thread from a few days ago. You were too lazy to do so. My "source" is ESPN.COM, where I get the stats for every UK game from. There is no "bias", and yes I know exactly what bias is, as that is part of my job to avoid statistical bias. Any one with a calculator (or a brain and do it in their head) can calculate these summary statistics. Just use a little common sense, yes he rebounds more because he plays more. I even said that, but you ignored it.

Zre displays leadership on the floor, if you havent seen thst you havent been watching,plus he and Dilly are the bedt passers on the team. He has al a o been our best rebounder this season so far. His defense IS suspekt but so are many others on this team.

I told you to go look at that thread from a few days ago. You were too lazy to do so. My "source" is ESPN.COM, where I get the stats for every UK game from. There is no "bias", and yes I know exactly what bias is, as that is part of my job to avoid statistical bias. Any one with a calculator (or a brain and do it in their head) can calculate these summary statistics. Just use a little common sense, yes he rebounds more because he plays more. I even said that, but you ignored it.
And I posted from ESPN as well. But you chose to ignore that as well.

And I said I wasn't going to dig through pages. If you had the thread handy, courtesy would dictate to provide it. But whatever. You "win"; I'm done with this.

Once again, have a good night.

Liability? Oooook.

It’s not as simple as “I’m going to go with Tre atm.” The argument is not, “Let’s replace Tre with Thiero.” The argument is that Tre doesn’t need 36 minutes while Thiero has 14.

The straw-men arguments and lack of reading comprehension on this board are tiring.

Reactions: JonathanW

Have a good night.
“Keeping your own numbers…” lol

How do you not understand that one player averaging 7rpg in 26mpg is > another dude averaging 6rpg in 34mpg? These aren’t “his own numbers.” He’s just analyzing the data and communicating the results of that simple analysis to show that Tre Mitchell is nowhere near the rebounder that Thiero is.

Reactions: K_TIME
Zre displays leadership on the floor, if you havent seen thst you havent been watching,plus he and Dilly are the bedt passers on the team. He has al a o been our best rebounder this season so far. His defense IS suspekt but so are many others on this team.
It’s more than “suspect.” His defense probably won’t be enough to get him to the G League. Even some teams overseas will give him a hard pass.

I figured Bradshaw would take Thiero’s minutes and Thiero would slide down to take Burks minutes. That is how it played out today.

Mitchell is playing too much, though. Thiero needs some of his minutes, not because he is better, but to keep Mitchell fresh throughout the season.

Cal should have learned his lesson with Grady a few years back, you shouldn’t play guys 35+ minutes, it’s just too hard on the body to play that many minutes all season.
Thank you….that is all many people are stating. If you have depth (and we have finally have it this year) use it. Guys can’t play hard as possible for 20 straight minutes…..especially big ones. There is no reason to play Mitchell above 30-32 minutes He does lax defense and rebound on the whole season

Thiero is averaging 7 boards a game is aboutb 25 minutes

Mitchell is averaging 6 boards a game is about. 35 minutes

this is yet another one of Cals glaring coach mistakes over decades…and there are plenty to pick from

I was watching on my phone and didn't notice how many minutes Mitchell played. Wow! I am a big Mitchell fan but was hoping Bradshaw would take some of his minutes to rest him. He seems to gas in the 2nd half, especially on defense. He didn't have a good game so I would have thought he would play less. But, it looks like Bradshaw's minutes will come from Thiero and maybe Edwards. I sure hope Edwards turns it on, but we're nine games (plus the exhibitions) in.....starting to look doubtful.

VERY fortunate to have Tre Mitchell on this team...many very good qualities. Love having his presence--leadership and experience--on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT